The Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread Page 123

• Page

of 156 First / Last

• kalel 9 Jan 2013 17:29:10 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    So yeah, I see Flo Rida as the same kind of thing as that stuff. It may not be to your taste, but it's all commercial mainstream hip hop which has mostly been shit (again imo) ever since the real money came along. '96 or so was probably the last really good year (again imo) for full on mainstream hip hop.
    You are confusing commercial music and music that sells.

Flo Rida, one direction, Leona lewis are co mmercial. They are made solely to sell at a mass market with little concern for real content.

Dmx dark and he'll is hot and many others are albums that are hardcore but have enough quality to transcend the normal barriers and shift 5 million albums. Dmx didn't write greedy thinking about being popular to white America.
    Nwa, public enemy etc all sold loads but were never commercial.
    Commercial music and music that sells are not necessarily the same I agree, but I think most of that late 90s "hard" hip hop was very commercial. That sound was just what was selling back then, and most of what Ruff Ryders and Def Jam and all that were doing at the time was extremely commercially minded imo.

DMX specifically, well, perhaps it all came from the heart, but I hate that sound. It's the sound of horrible MTV Raps late 90s hip hop to me. Euch. And frankly it does all meld together with what was happening on the RnB scene at the time in my head - Nelly, Eve etc. I lump it all together because it was the antithesis of what I was listening to at the time (Company Flow, Thirsten Howl, Lootpack etc).

But whatever, we have different tastes. It's all good.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 17:32:40 60,617 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing that killed all off that was the millennial fad of some pretty face feat. MC InstantCrediblility.

Fair play to the people who stayed off the bandwagon because the likes of Jah Rule and Bustah pretty much killed their careers with it.

If I hear a weak beat with HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLAAAAAAAAAAAH over the top of it, I want to hit something even now.

Edited by nickthegun at 17:32:57 09-01-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 17:38:48
    Ja rule sucked as did Nelly.

Sounds like anything that lots of people liked you disliked and only listened to artists that stayed underground.

I have a friend who instantly hates anything that becomes popular music :)

At least yo MTV raps got everyone on, krs one, rakim, tribe called quest.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 17:47:56 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't hate stuff for being popular. I just hated the popular style of Hip Hop at that time (and still do, and have done since around 1996/7).

Before that most of the Hip Hop I liked was the popular sound - Tribe, De La, Nas, Wu Tang, Organised Konfusion, Black Sheep, Goodie Mob, Outkast etc - all that was great and popular.

Then the sound I liked got pushed underground when the more commercially minded stuff took over, and I've been into underground hip hop ever since.

I don't actively avoid mainstream stuff. I love Mos Def and Outkast and some other stuff that has become popular now, but it's still coming from the same place that it always has, whereas the likes of Jay-Z and even Nas to a degree have become something else that I can't really get on with.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 18:01:08 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't know anyone who likes hip hop who doesn't like Illmatic. Well, apart from possibly nick, although I'm wondering if he's heard it.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:03:59
    Is that Thrift Shop song hip hop? It's bizarre, whatever it is.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 18:07:12 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, sure.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:09:12
    :D

I'm utterly ignorant in these things. But it was just playing on the radio and now it's stuck in my head and thought I'd ask.

I WEAR YOUR GRANDDAD'S CLOTHES
    I LOOK INCREDIBLE
    THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 18:11:25 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like it :)

Check out Same Love by the same dude. Quite good. Pro gay hip hop is a good thing.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:14:03
    Yeah, I finally actually listened to the lyrics and wondered if it was supposed to be a parody or something. I thought singing about second-hand clothes and being completely broke was utterly the opposite to modern (or commercial or whatever) hip-hop. But like I said, I'm ignorant. Shall check out his other stuff.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 18:16:37 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Macklemore is part of the whole underground "nerdcore" thing that I'm a big fan of. Hip Hop made by people like me :) It's not really a parody so much as hip hop that doesn't take itself seriously.

Pretty surprised he's hit the mainstream. Had no idea in fact. Again, that's a good thing.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:19:26
    Dunno how it is on the UK but it's cropping up regularly on radio here. You can flip through stations at any given moment and be guaranteed to find either this or that godawful "SHAAAYNE BWAAAIGHT LIKE A DAAAYYMOOOND" thing on one of them.
  • Deckard1 9 Jan 2013 18:37:49 28,765 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You leave Rhi Rhi out of this.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:45:05
    kalel wrote:
    I like it :)

Check out Same Love by the same dude. Quite good. Pro gay hip hop is a good thing.
    Just listened to it. If I heard that standalone I'd honestly have absolutely no idea they were from the same person or even the same genre. Not a criticism in the slightest, better that than hearing two bars of something and going "it's Coldplay".
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 19:05:38 60,617 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't know anyone who likes hip hop who doesn't like Illmatic. Well, apart from possibly nick, although I'm wondering if he's heard it.
    I have thanks, although its one of those albums that came out while I was heavily into other things so never gave it the time it probably deserves. Which is kind of ironic as hard to earn was one of the things I wouldn't take out of the CD player.

I also think it stems from an old housemate caning i am and nastrodamus, which I have heard a lot and really am not keen on. I could happily die without ever hearing hate me now again.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 20:21:39
    @kalel mos def is superb. Like all his work, love the new danger.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 22:35:33
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I have thanks, although its one of those albums that came out while I was heavily into other things so never gave it the time it probably deserves. Which is kind of ironic as hard to earn was one of the things I wouldn't take out of the CD player.

I also think it stems from an old housemate caning i am and nastrodamus, which I have heard a lot and really am not keen on. I could happily die without ever hearing hate me now again.
    Those two NAS albums are garbage. There is no surprise you are not keen on listening to NAS.

I think life is good is the only near classic album of 2012, can't recommend it enough.

Listen to locomotive, accidental murderers for a quick taster.

Helps nas that 2012 was dire for rap albums. Only other top quality release was j Cole.

Watch the throne was alright but too bling, tight production though.

re nas life is good, this end of review summary off XXL mag sums it up perfectly.

"Life Is Good is arguably Nas’ best LP since illmatic. In a climate where substance is scarce, the album is necessary. It’s potent from the excellent cover art to Nas’s sharp bars. It’s balanced. The Queens MC is open, but not emo. Hard, but also thought-provoking.

On “Reach Out,” Nas rhymes, “And you become better than legends you thought were the greatest.” Again, the Nasty MC’s words ring true. At this juncture—21 years and 10 solo albums in—no other MC has ever rhymed at such a high level this deep into their career. Not Rakim. Not Kool G Rap. Not Slick Rick. Not Big Daddy Kane. Not LL Cool J. No One"

Edited by Pepsipop at 22:40:59 09-01-2013
  • Blaketown 10 Jan 2013 09:03:22 4,810 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    ...2012 was dire for rap albums.
    You are definitely in the wrong place. I really like that Nas album and it wouldn't make it into my top 20 rap albums of this year.

Can't remember a year with so many quality releases.

You need to start an "Official Very Narrow Definition Of The Term Hip Hop Thread"

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 10 January 2013 09:06:29
    Well I've enjoyed plenty of mixtapes just not full album releases.
  • kalel 10 Jan 2013 09:29:43 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, big year. El-P, Homeboy Sandman, Masta Ace, Aesop Rock, The Coup. Not to mention good UK stuff like Skuff (probably my album of the year), Caxton Press, Mystro, Verb T, Fliptrix and Kingdom of Fear.

I did like Life is Good and it's definitely his strongest in a long time but I still don't find myself coming back to it much. Fair point the reviewer makes about him doing it most consistently for longest, although that's more by virtue of starting at 17 and not getting shot yet than anything else.
  • Blaketown 10 Jan 2013 09:34:43 4,810 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Along with who you mention, POS, Lushlife, Bambu, Kendrick Lamar, Murs & Fashawn, Casual & J. Rawls, Dr Syntax, De La Soul, Sleepin Giantz, Rewd Adams, Edward Scissortongue, Stik Figa, Bang On!, Brother Ali, Dark Time Sunshine, Datkid, Typical Cats, Abdominal, Killer Mike, Pep Love, Small Professor & Open Mike Eagle all produced genuinely brilliant albums.

In some cases 2.

And I know there are a load of highly regarded albums that just didn't click with me that neither of us have mentioned.

Edit: And yeah that Skuff album is amazing!

Edited by Blaketown at 09:48:47 10-01-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 10 January 2013 09:44:28
    kalel wrote:
    Yeah, big year. El-P, Homeboy Sandman, Masta Ace, Aesop Rock, The Coup. Not to mention good UK stuff like Skuff (probably my album of the year), Caxton Press, Mystro, Verb T, Fliptrix and Kingdom of Fear.hing else.
    I have heard half of them and whilst they nice I wouldn't include them in top albums simply because I personally think they have mainly terrible production. The production is so bad that I would prefer to listen to tracks like sandmans soulclap with people just clapping.
  • elstoof 10 Jan 2013 09:44:56 7,804 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't bother with Life is Good, the only thing I still put on regularly that's Nas related is Nastradoomus, and that's only really because of MF.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 09:48:20
    Illmatic, stillmatic, gods son, streets disciple and life is good. Find most of the other albums pretty terrible production wise.
  • kalel 10 Jan 2013 09:59:40 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Yeah, big year. El-P, Homeboy Sandman, Masta Ace, Aesop Rock, The Coup. Not to mention good UK stuff like Skuff (probably my album of the year), Caxton Press, Mystro, Verb T, Fliptrix and Kingdom of Fear.hing else.
    I have heard half of them and whilst they nice I wouldn't include them in top albums simply because I personally think they have mainly terrible production. The production is so bad that I would prefer to listen to tracks like sandmans soulclap with people just clapping.
    The sound you seem to like (I'm guessing Timbaland, Jermaine Dupri, Swizz Beatz) doesn't really exist any more. A blessing imho.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 10:06:15
    Neptunes, no id, Pete rock, Marley marl, j dilla, just blaze, bio 1da, dre, k west, premier.

Clearly from me saying I love jadakiss, styles, clipse and NAS you came to the obvious intelligent thinking I love production from people like j. Dupri? Maybe puff daddy too? Maybe commercial timberland?
  • kalel 10 Jan 2013 10:06:42 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is anyone else feeling Macklemore btw?

It's borderline cheesy but I find myself liking it. He's kind of like Kanye but not a total dick.
  • kalel 10 Jan 2013 10:11:06 88,513 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All good beat makers, although I wonder if we would agree on which of their stuff is good.

What No ID stuff do you like?

Anyway, I don't really get why you can't find stuff you like these days. Seems to me there's plenty of stuff like that around these days.
  • Page

of 156 First / Last