The Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread Page 121

• Page

of 153 First / Last

• Blaketown 4 Jan 2013 13:11:44 4,635 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This P. Blackk album is great:
    http://pblackk.bandcamp.com/album/contemporary-nostalgia

Title sums it up pretty well. It's definitely got a foot in the past, while still sounding new.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• smoothpete 4 Jan 2013 13:26:13 31,314 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Also, the Dr. Syntax & Tom Caruana album is all kinds of awesome.

Caruana is always good but you never know what you are getting with Syntax. Best album of his career is the answer in this case.
    I don't usually like Dr Syntax but I like that. I've heard that beat on one of Caruana's previous remixes. It's on the J-Live Rough Versions. Have you got those Blaketown? There are some stonking tunes on them. He did MF DOOM, J-Live, Brand Nubian, Large Pro, and DITC. Full album for each one. I think each album was done in a day (or something)

Like this for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIIb0d8Jm4
  • Blaketown 4 Jan 2013 13:37:06 4,635 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I think I got it when you posted it ages ago. I loved them all.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 4 January 2013 13:57:02
    monkehhh wrote:
    Wu Block's (Ghostface and a bloke from D-Block whose name I always forget, and the usual cameos) out there, I'm enjoying it :)

A bloke from d block??...tsk.

Sheek from the lox. You know styles p, jadakiss and sheek. You know the rap group who way better than Wu tang. Got I hate Wu tang as except for raekwon and ghost they are average.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2013 14:25:22
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Sheek from the lox. You know styles p, jadakiss and sheek. You know the rap group who way better than Wu tang. Got I hate Wu tang as except for raekwon and ghost they are average.
    I told you that you were a ghetto princess.
  • smoothpete 4 Jan 2013 14:46:02 31,314 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A ghetto love is the law that we live by
    Day by day I wonder why my shorty had to die
    I reminisce over my ghetto princess
    Everyday give it up for my shorty
  • Deleted user 4 January 2013 14:47:18
    I want that on my tombstone.
  • Lamb 4 Jan 2013 23:37:59 472 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just something Dizzee.

Bassline Junkie

• monkehhh 4 Jan 2013 23:46:05 3,266 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pepsipop

I love Wu - mainly Raekwon, GZA, Ghostface, Masta Killa (and ODB, ofc).
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 13:39:28
    Wu aren't bad, just a touch over rated as a lot of the mcs are average.

Hip hop on the mainstream tip are just depressing now. Now you put on MTV base etc and it some terrible london mc or flo rider or perhaps lil Wayne.

Ten years ago you would have seen this on tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=qH_ALy8xyig

Jadakiss verse is so good.

Edited by Pepsipop at 13:41:15 06-01-2013
  • smoothpete 6 Jan 2013 14:15:59 31,314 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raekwon, Meth, and Ghostface are all amazing. Ghostface in particular is one of my all time favourite MCs
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 14:29:04
    I agree, shame most of the rest are average.
    If over half a group are average it isn't good.
    ghost has a couple of classic albums as does raekwon. Method man is brilliant but has never dropped a classic.
  • Blaketown 9 Jan 2013 12:11:26 4,635 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You are forgetting the Rza being one of the greatest ever hip hop producers.

And Masta Killer having 3 great albums under his belt. Including the new one Selling My Soul which might be the best of the bunch.

And ODB being one of the most legendarily unhinged artists in American music history.

And the Gza producing one of, if not the greatest album of the 90s.

Apart from that and the fact "Raekwon, Meth, and Ghostface are all amazing" what have The Wu ever done for us?

Edited by Blaketown at 13:27:34 09-01-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 9 Jan 2013 12:14:07 86,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was such a worthless comment it didn't even seem worth commenting on. It was right up there with the "UK Hip Hop sucks" drivel from a few weeks back.
  • smoothpete 9 Jan 2013 12:19:04 31,314 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Liquid Swords?
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 12:24:58
    Over rated.

Gza is a great producer just not for me.

I rather Neptunes on things like the clipse albums. Just blaze, k west, boi 1da,dj premier to name a few.

90s wise Dr dre, timberland, premier.

To pick my personal favourite Neptunes.
    Grinding.
    Popular demand.
    Nothing
    La la la
    Wamp wamp
    Blue magic
    Drop it like its hot

Just a few quick ones off top of head.
  • Blaketown 9 Jan 2013 12:54:42 4,635 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kalel Sorry. You are quite right.

smoothpete wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    Liquid Swords?
    Exactly.

This lengthy review of the re-issue gets it pretty spot on for me. An amazing album.

Have people heard the new Abdominal album?

It's called Sitting Music because he's getting too old to bounce around on stage for a full show so he has made an album full of material he can sit down to perform.

It's a bit different but I like it.

Edited by Blaketown at 12:55:04 09-01-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 9 Jan 2013 13:05:41 86,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Over rated.

Nope.

I think when Blaketown said he "produced" one of the best albums of the 90s, he didn't literally mean he was the producer on Liquid Swords. Obviously that was RZA.

And we get it. You like bouncy commercial RnB flavoured Hip Hop. Good for you. Probably not the thread for you though.
  • Blaketown 9 Jan 2013 13:08:29 4,635 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha. I assumed that was a typo but you might be right.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 14:17:42
    kalel wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Over rated.

Nope.

I think when Blaketown said he "produced" one of the best albums of the 90s, he didn't literally mean he was the producer on Liquid Swords. Obviously that was RZA.

And we get it. You like bouncy commercial RnB flavoured Hip Hop. Good for you. Probably not the thread for you though.
    Such a dick. Typo, clearly.

Oh sorry I forgot that the clipse, the lox are commercial bouncy r n b flavoured hip hop.

If you asked a commercial rap or rnb fan I'm sure they would say they like Wu tang and I'm sure they wouldn't say they like jadakiss and styles p.

You just jump to assumptions on what I know, I never said I didn't like him or that he crap.I said he not really for me. So I'm female and so I love 50 cent???? Fuck right off.

I hate that commercial stuff. I said I liked Neptunes production and then quoted some nice beats. I never quoted their production with artists like Justin Timberlake or gwen Stefani.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 14:29:01 86,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It blatantly wasn't a typo as it followed on directly from what Blaketown said.

Couldn't give a fuck about your gender (so weak to play that card). Anyone else came in here spouting ignorance would get the same treatment.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 14:30:45
    There's a delicious irony to watching middle-class white people argue about hip-hop.

;)
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 14:33:00 86,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The real irony is that it's mostly made by middle-class black people.
  • Kay 9 Jan 2013 14:33:28 17,756 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Meh, I like and listen to all kinds of hip-hop. Hell, I've been listening to Drake's album recently, and as much as I wanted to hate it, I actually rather like it.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 14:35:24
    I'm ignorant because I said he wasn't for me? You don't understand the word then and just llike to randomly say I like shit r n b rap. you must have decided that after you read that I thought a producer you like wasn't for me.

If you posted that the Neptunes weren't for you I wouldn't then jump in and say you clearly only like shit music. That is bring an ignorant prick.

Edited by Pepsipop at 14:36:16 09-01-2013
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 14:47:52 86,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was more your thoughts on how average most of Wu are, and that Meth has never released a classic, and some bollocks you were spouting a while back on UK hip hop that's formed my impression.

And your taste is your taste, but yeah, it seems to lean towards the commercial bouncy end. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but yeah, I'd say the Loxx and that are absolutely commercial RnB flavoured hip hop yes - Jenny from the Block wasn't exactly underground.

But whatever, stick around and keep telling everyone how you don't like what they're listening to and how great the new whatever nobody else likes is. All good.
  • graysonavich 9 Jan 2013 14:56:14 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hipster-Hop!

Everyone knows rap died with Biggie anyway.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 14:57:21 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My Wu-Tang rape alarm just went off and dragged this with it

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 14:59:20
    I love hip-hop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p99aF2D8xaQ
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:06:34
    kalel wrote:
    It was more your thoughts on how average most of Wu are, and that Meth has never released a classic, and some bollocks you were spouting a while back on UK hip hop that's formed my impression.

And your taste is your taste, but yeah, it seems to lean towards the commercial bouncy end. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but yeah, I'd say the Loxx and that are absolutely commercial RnB flavoured hip hop yes - Jenny from the Block wasn't exactly underground.

But whatever, stick around and keep telling everyone how you don't like what they're listening to and how great the new whatever nobody else likes is. All good.
    Wtf, you think lox is rnb rap? You clearly know fuck all or are being intentionally annoying. Jenny from the block??? Oh yeah of.course one track makes someone rnb?? You can't remember any of Wu tangs artists dabbles into this area then?
    I know you won't but go listen to we run the streets or master of the ceremony if you think it commercial. You still dribble on about me saying stuff I haven't. I never abused others opinions I just said someone wasn't for my tastes. Love ghostface, raekwon, method man.
  • Page

of 153 First / Last