• Page

of 154 First / Last

• Huntcjna 2 Apr 2007 11:21:53 13,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    Just spotted this on a blog:

New track by Timbaland feat. M.I.A.!

Had a quick listen at work, and I think this is pretty awesome - not quite as good as her album though.

Timbalands new album is amazing, theres a track on their with Fall Out Boy thats absolutely class.
  • smoothpete 2 Apr 2007 11:26:02 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MythManiac wrote:
    Big L
    I love Big L, sadly he was shot to pieces a few years back. He's responsible for some of my favourite lines of all time

When it comes to gettin' nookie I'm not a rookie
    I got girls that make that chick Toni Braxton look like Whoopie

His best tune (IMO) is either Ebonics or Devil's Son. Devil's Son is so unnecessarily aggresive and violent, it's fucking brilliant
  • Popzeus 2 Apr 2007 12:35:05 8,300 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The mid-90s was hip hop's golden age for me, no question about it.

I like all sorts of stuff, but particularly anything Erick Sermon's had a hand in - EPMD, his solo stuff, Redman's "Muddy Waters" album (UNBELIEVABLE production on that one :D), Keith Murray etc.

Also: Snoop's first album, Kool Keith in his various guises, Gang Starr, most of the Jay-Z ouvre, also Onyx (purely because Sticky Fingaz is completely off his trolley) and Ras Kass (Soul On Ice, great album).

But very little of what's about at the moment floats my boat, TBH.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• smoothpete 2 Apr 2007 12:47:59 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's still some good stuff being released, depends on your tastes I guess.
  • smoothpete 2 Apr 2007 12:53:22 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to buy an album at lunch, any recommendations from the hiphop people?
  • Goban 2 Apr 2007 12:55:20 9,052 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a bit out of touch at the mo, sorry.
  • smoothpete 2 Apr 2007 13:00:11 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do. Think I might pick up something old.

Anyway, you should all watch this, Adam Buxton vs NWA sketch. Truly a work of some considerable comedy talent :D
  • kalel 2 Apr 2007 13:02:35 86,962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did you get that Mr Thing/Yungun album yet? If not get that, it's class.
  • Madder-Max 2 Apr 2007 13:40:31 11,641 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Silver Bullet = 20 seconds to comply.

Need I say more.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• smoothpete 2 Apr 2007 14:09:51 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Did you get that Mr Thing/Yungun album yet? If not get that, it's class.
    Gah! Too late! I'll pick it up at some point, however I'm not 100% convinced I like his style

The shop I went to had a shit selection, ended up getting Redman's new album as I happened to hear one of his tunes on a podcast as I was browsing

I doubt many of you are big Dizzee Rascal fans but watch out for a new tune called Pussyhole, it's a banger
  • Huntcjna 2 Apr 2007 14:12:08 13,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can I throw out a recommendation for anything and everything by an act called Gym Class Heroes. They deserve your attention. Stat.
  • Sly9 2 Apr 2007 14:24:07 412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I do. Think I might pick up something old.

Anyway, you should all watch this, Adam Buxton vs NWA sketch. Truly a work of some considerable comedy talent :D

lol at the comments

"This is the UK version of the song. All UK radio stations must play a majority of songs in local accents. Also, it is illegal to broadcast any anti-establishme4nyt message which is why Rage |Against the Machine have been arrested and sent to the Isle of Wight (=UK's Guantanamo Bay).
    They changed the lyrics of 'Killing in the Name of' so it says 'Thank you, I'll do as you tell me.'"
  • Snuffb0t 23 Apr 2007 03:07:25 506 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lonerville wrote:
    Worth checking out:

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Main Source - Breaking Atoms

+1

A couple of years old now, but I've really been enjoying the Dangerdoom album over the past week or two. Where else can you hear someone rhyme about vats of urine?

[edit] I've been enjoying Pigeon John, Pharcyde (Bizzare Ride) and Pete Rock's Petestrumentals recently as well. Well worth checking out if you haven't already

Edited by Snuffb0t at 03:16:20 23-04-2007
  • smoothpete 28 Apr 2007 10:02:37 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have found possibly the best hiphop mix album ever. Everyone who is into mid-nineties hiphop and/or funk should seriously buy this. Absolute stunner of a mix, hiphop mixed over soul, funk & disco. Awesome party/summer album

No Fakin' DJs - Give An Example

Buy buy buy!

edit - should add, I got my copy in Fopp so go get it if you've got one near you

Edit 2 - god this is so good, Edan over some fat early 70s funk. Goddamn!

Edited by smoothpete at 10:39:26 28-04-2007
  • smoothpete 28 Apr 2007 10:07:00 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Akon is a bellend and has no place in this thread :)
  • StixxUK 28 Apr 2007 10:39:51 7,245 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just got a couple of El-P albums. They were good in places but in general I found there was too much going on and it all sounded kind of mushy.

Reminded me a lot of Edan.
  • smoothpete 28 Apr 2007 10:47:36 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've bought something like 15 albums this month :/

Yesterday I got that amazing mix I mentioned above, and I'm currently listening to Boogie Down Production's Sex & Violence. Early indications are positive!
  • famous_roy 28 Apr 2007 10:47:59 4,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everyone check out MF Doom, living legend. Anyone who hasn't heard any of his stuff start with mmm food.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• smoothpete 28 Apr 2007 10:51:26 31,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do you guys buy much Uk hiphop?
  • thefilthandthefury 7 Aug 2007 23:41:50 24,983 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes.

I'm not into hip hop or rap, never have been. I like a lot of musical styles but chiefly punk, reggae and dub.... however my friend, in an effort to sway me, thinks I may like Dizzee Rascal, especially his first album.

Now, is my friend talking out of his arse, or will it actually be worth me checking this guy out?

Dizzee Rascal isn't his favourite musician by the way, DJ Shadow is.
  • thefilthandthefury 8 Aug 2007 00:00:04 24,983 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    suppose its a bit like the streets - its quite fun if you dont take it too seriously

Hmm, I'm all for fun music so that doesn't sound too shabby. He told me I might like it because it's got really weird beats and I often like things that are eclectic and jarring. He played me one song (I think it was "Fix Up Look Sharp") which I liked the sound of as it was all over the place.

How would you describe him then? I'm just after some impressions so I don't waste my time haha.
  • thefilthandthefury 8 Aug 2007 00:17:10 24,983 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    fix up look sharp is pretty much a benchmark for most of his stuff. some of the beats are pretty tidy. most of it is just pretty cheesy, but fun.

Sounds good to me! However, it depends what you mean by cheesy in this case, of course. What is his lyrical content like? The most important thing in a song to me (unless it's a dub track) is vocals.

Sounds like I might give him a shot so far.
  • Razz 8 Aug 2007 00:19:35 61,068 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boy in the corner is one of favourite HipHop albums of all time tbh. You hsould defo check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• thefilthandthefury 8 Aug 2007 00:20:23 24,983 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Boy in the corner is one of favourite HipHop albums of all time tbh. You hsould defo check it out.

Cool, will do then. Thanks!

While I've never been into hip hop I do always try to branch out to new things so who knows when I might find something there that I like.
  • heyyo 8 Aug 2007 00:23:39 14,373 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:

Yeah innit, Jezebel and Fix up are my favourite on that. His new tune is heavy as well.

• thefilthandthefury 8 Aug 2007 00:24:08 24,983 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    the lyrics arent too bad tbh, makes a change that theres someone out of landan taan not yappin about guns & TTs

If he's avoiding those cliches then I'm already liking it haha. Sounds good to me indeed.
  • Page

of 154 First / Last