The Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread Page 5

• Page

of 155 First / Last

• richardiox 16 Aug 2007 01:39:02 5,640 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Right I have two Roots Manuva albums sat on my desk now, ready to listen to. I'll have to give them a spin tomorrow or on Friday.

I've also been told that since I like Dizzee I might like Wiley. Are they quite similar then? I was told of their history together so I don't give a shit about that, I'd just like to know musically and lyrically.

I'm sure i've said this earlier in the thread but "Council Estate Of Mind" by Skinnyman is the best UKHH record ever made, up in my top 5 hip hop albums of all time in fact.

edit- You wont neccesarily like Wiley if you are into Dizzee, Wiley is a bit more raw and tbh not as talented, Dizzee really benefits from the production values his deal affords him. Try and listen to some "The Mitchell Brothers", The Streets did a track with them reckon you may like them.
  • MrSensible 16 Aug 2007 07:49:51 25,221 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent, thanks for the info sir!
  • Bunda 16 Aug 2007 08:20:42 5,241 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Listen to the Blue Scholars.

Motion Movement is a standout track.

ed: Here's their song "Inkwell" mashed up with Modest Mouse's "Float On". This is the best hip-hop IMO.

w00t
  • IMadeThis 16 Aug 2007 08:33:50 1,038 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No mention of Common? I've not had a rap/hip-hop album for some time now & his latest has really got me back on the gravy train. Smooth as ever with some great samples & beats. Bravo Kanye, bravo.
  • Bunda 16 Aug 2007 08:51:41 5,241 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try Common Market.
  • Anthony_UK 16 Aug 2007 08:58:49 2,511 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Canibus

For me knowone even comes close, some of most recent Albums 'Rip The Jacker' & 'For Whom The Beat Toll's' are simply amazing
  • smoothpete 16 Aug 2007 10:26:22 31,576 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Canib us is a fucking brilliant lyricist from what I've heard. I should buy those albums, I don't think I own anything of his

Common is good, I like his style but he's more of a poet than rapper, if that makes sense. I like rappers whose voices are like additional percussion to the beat, Biggie did that for example.
  • Danbojones 16 Aug 2007 12:11:07 419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richardiox wrote:

I'm sure i've said this earlier in the thread but "Council Estate Of Mind" by Skinnyman is the best UKHH record ever made, up in my top 5 hip hop albums of all time in fact.

Great album, but the best UK hip hop ever? Not sure. I'm putting Padlocked Tonic by Parlour talk in the top spot. Full on West country accented awesomeness. Very hard to pick up these days but essential. The early Jehst stuff has to be in contention too.
  • generica 16 Aug 2007 12:18:20 4,273 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Since the last time I posted itunes says I've got this: A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Dizzee Rascal, Dr. Dre, Dungeon Family, Gnarls Barkley, Madlib, Madvillain, Nas, NERD, The Pharcyde, Public Enemy, Roots Manuva, Jurassic 5, Outkast.

But I'm so white ;__;.
  • smoothpete 2 Sep 2007 09:49:11 31,576 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I picked up Smokers Die Younger by a UK MC called Shameless yesterday, worth a look if you like UK hip hop. He does some tunes with a group called The PaddyRagga Band which I think is an awesome name :)
  • heyyo 2 Sep 2007 09:52:48 14,372 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    generica wrote:
    Since the last time I posted itunes says I've got this: A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Dizzee Rascal, Dr. Dre, Dungeon Family, Gnarls Barkley, Madlib, Madvillain, Nas, NERD, The Pharcyde, Public Enemy, Roots Manuva, Jurassic 5, Outkast.

But I'm so white ;__;.

lol
  • StixxUK 2 Sep 2007 12:09:38 7,264 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just been listening to Dr. Syntax. He's good and he references the occasional video game.
  • xandoodle 2 Sep 2007 12:18:02 458 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kanye's new album is rather nice, not as good as College Dropout mind.

And the new drums on stronger are ace :)
  • ShogunAssassin 8 Sep 2007 16:26:06 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We all know that Wu-Tang is for the children, so of course the Wu is my favorite group of all time. If you havenīt, you should check out all their shit from before 1998, itīs genius! (get it?)

I like a lot of hiphop besides that, though... Iīve seen a lot of you mention Roots Manuva as well. I find him really dope, and got all of his albums except one (awfully deep). Iīm actually not sure which one I like best... it might be Run Come Save Me. I also like MF Doom a lot, but he hasnīt been too active for the last year or so. Thatīs ok I suppose, since heīs been spraying out albums from 2003-05.

Other than that, hereīs my list of artists I prefer:

A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Mobb Deep (pre 2000, they suck now), Jeru the Damaja, Orginazed Konfusion, Boot Camp Clik and the respective groups within the crew, Nas (mostly Illmatic though, Iīm not too keen on his later work)... and the list goes on, donīt bother to mention them all...
  • coastal 8 Sep 2007 17:31:29 5,384 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can someone recommend a starter set for me. The only hiphop i've ever liked was the Fugees first album - Blunted on Reality. To my unexperienced ear I guess it's not cluttered and quite acoustic.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• richardiox 8 Sep 2007 17:40:39 5,640 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone into Sean Kingston? Just listening his new LP, bit of an R&B thing, but pretty cool.

@Shogun - Wu are excellent - was thinking about them the other day, how weird it was they sort of got into the metal scene etc and Wu hoodies were everywhere. Anyway, best thing about Wu Tang is the solo stuff imo; Ghostface "Ironman" LP and GZA "liquid swords" being my faves.
  • ShogunAssassin 8 Sep 2007 17:54:36 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Except for "Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers", which is my favorite album ever, I agree that the solo stuff is the best. "Liquid Swords" and "Only Built for Cuban Linx" are straight up classic. I do think "Supreme Clientele" by Ghostface is better than "Ironman", even though ironman is excellent as well. "Supreme..." just seems more like his own album, rather than it also being Raekwon and Cappadonnaīs album.

Iīm excited for "8 Diagrams", the new Wu-Tang group album, which should be coming out this fall. Please donīt fuck it up, please donīt fuck it up...

RIP ODB
  • StixxUK 8 Sep 2007 18:17:47 7,264 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Syntax made me get loads of Foreign Beggars stuff and it's great too.

Asylum Speakers is a great album!
  • Razz 24 Sep 2007 13:37:39 61,395 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Check out my mates tune!

No idea he was a rising star! :o Found this totally by accident!

Gonna call him now to rile... er... congratulate him. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• smoothpete 24 Sep 2007 13:51:08 31,576 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    Can someone recommend a starter set for me. The only hiphop i've ever liked was the Fugees first album - Blunted on Reality. To my unexperienced ear I guess it's not cluttered and quite acoustic.
    Sorry meant to reply to this the other day:

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient (nice and melodic, ish)

The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde (just great, hiphop not rap)

Tribe Called Quest - Beats, Rhymes and Life (gotta have some tribe in there)

Aim - Cold Water Music (can't go wrong with this)

The Herbaliser - Blow Your Headphones (not all hiphop, but all gravy)

RJD2 - Deadringer (mostly instrumental, very good)

MF DOOM & Dangermouse (aka Gnarls Barkley) - The Mouse and the Mask (kind of melodic, a bit anyway, nice beats and MF DOOM is a mentalist so worth a pop)

So there you go. To be honest none of it is like The Fugees, but I think you'll probably like some of it.
  • Pike 24 Sep 2007 13:56:25 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:

Dangermouse (aka Gnarls Barkley)

Well, half of Gnarls Barkley. Cee Lo Green is just as important.

Speaking of which. Cee Lo's two solo albums are also great funk/hip Hop albums. IMO they are both superior to the Gnarls Brkley album

Jurassic Five's first album is also melodic and playful perfection.

Apart from that I mostly listen to Juvenile and Lil'Wayne right now which is probably the opposite of what coastal is looking for.
  • smoothpete 24 Sep 2007 14:09:39 31,576 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh, yeah I've been listening to Lil Wayne & Birdman and the Underground Kings recently too. Pimpin'. :)
  • figgis 24 Sep 2007 14:38:02 7,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    coastal wrote:

True Classic Albums

Wu Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

Del La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising

Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

N.W.A - 500 Miles E.p.
  • neilqpr 24 Sep 2007 16:29:17 2,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another vote for Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde, amazing record. I'll add Nas - Illmatic to the list.
  • Razz 24 Sep 2007 16:30:30 61,395 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II

OMFG! That's my faovurite album ever! :o

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• smoothpete 24 Sep 2007 16:32:52 31,576 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well coastal did say something like The Fugees, I wouldn't put Wu Tang on that list, great as they are! ;)

Protec' ya fuckin neck motherfuckers
  • GingerMagician 24 Sep 2007 16:35:53 3,012 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone mentioned The Roots or Common yet?

New Common album, "Finding Forever" is great, as is The Roots' latest, "Game Theory".

Their respective back catalogues are well worth checking (especially "Phrenology" by The Roots), as is Mos Def, "Black on Both Sides".
  • Pike 24 Sep 2007 16:59:31 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No one has reccomended Lauryn Hill's album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill yet. Outragous. It is far better than the Fugees album, which is saying something.

One of the top ten albums of the 90's. Shame she's gone batty lately.
  • Page

of 155 First / Last