Snow! Page 95

• Page

of 97 First / Last

• ronuds 20 Dec 2010 20:18:34 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know about your niece, but mine's saving herself until I'm no longer coherent enough to know the difference!!
  • Deleted user 20 December 2010 20:25:03
    Going to drive to get my ferry tomorrow, hopefully this rain melts away the snow and the traffic is ok.

/makes a sacrifice to snow gods
  • Psychotext 20 Dec 2010 20:30:13 53,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I don't know about your niece, but mine's saving herself until I'm no longer coherent enough to know the difference!!
    :D
  • Pinky_Floyd 20 Dec 2010 20:31:38 7,473 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never mind the snow. I have never felt as cold as I did this morning while walking to work. It was around -10 and it seemed to permeate into my very bones. Too cold for me :(
  • Psychotext 20 Dec 2010 23:00:09 53,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rabbit seems to have survived another night. Missus has been outside for the last hour trying to catch it. Mentalist.
  • Chopsen 20 Dec 2010 23:02:00 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rabbit stew for xmas! Reassert your role as hunter-gatherer, man!
  • Psychotext 20 Dec 2010 23:13:53 53,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sly little bastard hopped into the box we put out to catch it, stole the lettuce and ran off.
  • localnotail 20 Dec 2010 23:22:12 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wascally Wabbit eh? If he shows signs of advanced cross-dressing, suggest you call Mr Fudd.

I really like my city under snow. Walk to work was pretty and fun. Got sent home early at 2.30. Snow wins.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• ProfessorLesser 20 Dec 2010 23:25:48 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Driving in the snow is fun! It's like being a rally driver. A rally driver going really slowly in a really underpowered car admittedly, but still.
    My road was almost completely clear of cars earlier so I decided to floor it in second (an educated risk), it was awesome! Slipping and sliding all over the place, but I still felt in control, countering the skid. I swear years of video games have given me some kind of edge in this aspect :D
    I realised this year (thanks to my housemate, who's just like you), that I've been far too cautious a driver for 5 years - which is great in one sense, but on the other hand, I've never had to react to a proper skid. I know what to do in theory, but I think I'd be really well-served by finding an empty car park and sliding my car around a bit to get used to it.
  • mcmonkeyplc 20 Dec 2010 23:30:03 39,388 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ofcourse if you have vehicle stability control on the car sorts the skid out for you. Amazing things.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Psychotext 20 Dec 2010 23:33:34 53,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That doesn't work so well on ice, unless your car happens to have an ice mode you can set it to.
  • localnotail 20 Dec 2010 23:35:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    saw some lads using a nice wide one way street for skiddy fun today. They went down it once when I was at the top, then looped back again by the time I was at the bottom. Looked like great fun.

• billythekid 21 Dec 2010 15:48:29 11,034 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And there's more of it!
  • TheHammerite 21 Dec 2010 16:20:13 1,512 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hopefully the snow is over for the next few days. Im traveling down to the south west from Cardiff on thursday
  • Load_2.0 21 Dec 2010 16:23:12 18,952 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is currently no snow in London city, therefor snow talk and snow itself is no longer relevant.

• ecureuil 22 Dec 2010 12:19:13 76,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snowing again now, and we had fresh snowfall last night and everything is covered again. Looks like we'll have some snow on the ground for christmas, after all.
  • El_MUERkO 22 Dec 2010 12:21:41 16,956 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lol, someone just smacked a bbc cameraman win a snowball live on air :D
  • Blakester 22 Dec 2010 12:36:44 3,580 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was stranded at Copenhagen airport from Saturday to Monday night because of the chaos at Heathrow.

At one point, the message coming through was that we should all make provisions for spending Christmas away from our families because more snow was forecast.

Amazed I'm home to be honest. I should be angry at our country's incompetence, but I'm far to relieved and knackered to care :-)

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• localnotail 22 Dec 2010 13:16:08 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Snowing again now, and we had fresh snowfall last night and everything is covered again. Looks like we'll have some snow on the ground for christmas, after all.

Does look like there is more up there, which is a bit of a pain since I need to go and get my headlights fixed.

• Derblington 22 Dec 2010 13:37:10 21,347 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    I was stranded at Copenhagen airport from Saturday to Monday night because of the chaos at Heathrow.

At one point, the message coming through was that we should all make provisions for spending Christmas away from our families because more snow was forecast.

Amazed I'm home to be honest. I should be angry at our country's incompetence, but I'm far to relieved and knackered to care :-)

As mentioned a few pages back, I was supposed to fly home to the UK on Friday night. I've had 4 flights cancelled now, and I'm currently booked on the 11:45am tomorrow. It's a shambles.

I know that we can't control the weather and I'm not blaming anyone from the airlines, everyone I've spoken to has been great. Heathrow, however, is a pisstake. For the World's busiest airport and the "hub of the aviation world" I expect better. They completely closed two terminals down for over a day, and that should have been enough time to make it all operational again. There's just no excuse when every other airport has managed better.

I read something in the news the other day that Stockholm Arlanda can clear a runway in 6 minutes, that's the amount of time it takes to make and drink a cup of coffee, and only cancelled 10 of their 600 flights (and that was only because Heathrow wouldn't take them). Yet Heathrow, which is much, much larger and has far more resources, has cut it's services by two thirds and, 6 days after the initial cancellations, still can't get it's shit together. BAA ought to be ashamed of this mess.
  • sport 22 Dec 2010 13:47:32 12,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Derbs - agreed, apparently Heathrow spent 500,000 last year on snow equipment and have 50 snow staff. Gatwick spent 1,000,000 and have 150 snow staff.

Hub of the aviation world?? F**king act like one then
  • Blakester 22 Dec 2010 13:52:21 3,580 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Blakester wrote:

As mentioned a few pages back, I was supposed to fly home to the UK on Friday night. I've had 4 flights cancelled now, and I'm currently booked on the 11:45am tomorrow. It's a shambles.

I know that we can't control the weather and I'm not blaming anyone from the airlines, everyone I've spoken to has been great. Heathrow, however, is a pisstake. For the World's busiest airport and the "hub of the aviation world" I expect better. They completely closed two terminals down for over a day, and that should have been enough time to make it all operational again. There's just no excuse when every other airport has managed better.

I read something in the news the other day that Stockholm Arlanda can clear a runway in 6 minutes, that's the amount of time it takes to make and drink a cup of coffee, and only cancelled 10 of their 600 flights (and that was only because Heathrow wouldn't take them). Yet Heathrow, which is much, much larger and has far more resources, has cut it's services by two thirds and, 6 days after the initial cancellations, still can't get it's shit together. BAA ought to be ashamed of this mess.

I'm really feeling your pain mate, and hope you get home tomorrow.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Derblington 22 Dec 2010 13:59:29 21,347 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sport - Yeah, I read that too.

The thing that I don't understand is that they must be haemorrhaging money over this - the amount of flights that have been cancelled, and then compensation for peoples hotel/travel/food expenses must be hitting the airlines hard, and the airport will suffer a proportion of that cost.

So why the fuck didn't they just cough up a wad of cash during the day they closed the place down and get emergency staff/equipment to blitz the airport so that normal service could be resumed last Monday? The entire thing is just piss poor planning/management, and thousands of people all over the world are now suffering for their ineptitude.

I'm lucky in that I live here, so staying an extra week isn't really costing me anything in the way of monetary expenses. However, I have limited holidays per year and I haven't been home since Easter. Due to project dates at work I won't get any more decent holiday opportunites until next winter, so this week has been a massive loss for me and my family in the UK. That's not the kind of thing that you can compensate, and I'm sure that there are people all over that are suffering much, much worse.

Just think of people that can't get to their loved ones deathbeds or births - extreme situations, sure, but I don't doubt things like this are occuring just because the airport can't scrape up some snow and ice.

Blakester - Cheers, though as mentioned, I'm reasonably lucky in all this :)
  • MrE26 23 Dec 2010 00:33:00 1,922 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There appear to be giant mutant snowflakes streaming down in Newcastle at the minute. Thought we'd escaped it after the chaos we had 3 weeks ago. Shit.
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Dec 2010 00:58:30 39,388 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Where's my fucking snow?!

Oh by the way I live a mere 5 miles from heathrow.

/sky

Come and get it cumslingers!

• terminalterror 23 Dec 2010 10:42:25 18,937 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Sport - Yeah, I read that too.

The thing that I don't understand is that they must be haemorrhaging money over this - the amount of flights that have been cancelled, and then compensation for peoples hotel/travel/food expenses must be hitting the airlines hard, and the airport will suffer a proportion of that cost.

So why the fuck didn't they just cough up a wad of cash during the day they closed the place down and get emergency staff/equipment to blitz the airport so that normal service could be resumed last Monday? The entire thing is just piss poor planning/management, and thousands of people all over the world are now suffering for their ineptitude.

Disregarding all their costs relating to airlines (which should, all by themselves be enough to motivate them into much more action than they took), given that all BAA seems to care about are their shopping centres, surely that too would be enough incentive to sort their shit out so they can have passengers pass through their shops again?
  • terminalterror 23 Dec 2010 10:44:38 18,937 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sport wrote:
    @Derbs - agreed, apparently Heathrow spent 500,000 last year on snow equipment and have 50 snow staff. Gatwick spent 1,000,000 and have 150 snow staff.

Hub of the aviation world?? F**king act like one then

I did like the report Jon Snow did on Gatwick's snow clearing splurge on Channel 4 News last night, and that their hastily procured snow clearing equipment says "Gatwick" on it, but all the warning notices are still in German as they haven't had time to change them yet.
  • beastmaster 4 Jan 2011 08:22:16 11,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A very thin layer around where I live in Manchester.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 4 January 2011 09:49:53
    Yeah same here in Leicester - thought I'd seen the last of the damned stuff this year :(
  • Page

of 97 First / Last