The Football League Thread Page 173

• Page

of 184 First / Last

• nickthegun 18 Sep 2013 13:23:20 60,477 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Nickgun? Did a player for Derby really have to be taken off today for his own safety? Reading a lot stuff about it kicking off against Millwall on and off the pitch?
    Sorry, didnt read this earlier.

I dont know about someone being taken off for his own good, but someone did pop out of the crowd and try to tackle Clough.

Basically, they are vermin despite all of the 'we are no longer vermin' protests from their PR teaboy.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• vyseofhr 18 Sep 2013 13:24:47 857 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it was Adam Smith, if I recall correctly?

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Jono62 28 Sep 2013 23:33:24 14,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So Derby sack Clough. Who's going to go there?
  • elephantjuice 6 Dec 2013 11:29:19 730 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Something of a bittersweet night for Brentford fans last night. Planning committee approved plans for the club's proposed new stadium which has been in the works since 2002 (maybe longer) but on the flip side it sounds like Rosler is on his way to Wigan.

With the form we're in and at this point of the season a change of manager couldn't have come at a worse time but very intrigued to see who we appoint in his place.
  • Zomoniac 6 Dec 2013 12:22:34 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The thread lives!

Now is a good time to be a Leeds fan. Granted the team's still a bit shit, but everything else is just grand. Good times.
  • Zomoniac 6 Dec 2013 12:26:51 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting move for Rosler though. I was at ER to watch us beat Wigan on Wednesday and they're an odd team. Fundamentally they have the core of a team that really should be top 3 in this league. Watson, Beausejour, Maloney, McCarthy and Holt are not players of a "hanging around midtable not doing much" quality. They just appear to have no direction. Wednesday they looked like 11 people who had gone out onto a pitch with no instruction or defined roles, just idly bumbling around with no real ideas. We didn't win because we have a better team, just because we appeared to have a vague idea of what the plan was.
  • nickthegun 6 Dec 2013 12:36:53 60,477 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im becoming increasingly concerned that we are going to go up this year.

• nickthegun 6 Dec 2013 12:39:22 60,477 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But, yeah, when we played Wigan they looked fucked after europe. We came out of the blocks really quickly and ran them into the ground.

I said it in the prem thread, but the championship is a really hard league and when you add the stupidly long europa campaign on top of that, it seems to be really taking its toll.

It is a was harsh on Coyle, tbh, because they are stretched really thinly.

• Syrette 7 Dec 2013 13:43:40 43,770 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow Derby are good. 4-1 now.

• Bahamafish 7 Dec 2013 21:36:11 378 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    some funny gifs from this week.

• Zomoniac 11 Jan 2014 13:47:29 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm choosing to find this hilarious...
  • Syrette 11 Jan 2014 14:09:59 43,770 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ouch, 5-0.

• Syrette 11 Jan 2014 14:10:42 43,770 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Make that 6.

• Zomoniac 11 Jan 2014 14:11:18 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    6. Six fucking nil. Sheffield fucking Wednesday. What the fuck? How?
  • Bmovie 13 Jan 2014 13:17:25 905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread has died a bit.

Bradford fans going into meltdown at selling their best player to their rivals has been pretty hilarious.
  • Saucy 14 Jan 2014 17:08:31 2,604 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bmovie I've seen plenty of it here. They've been talking about him leaving for a while, all seem convinced he's prem class. Plenty of upset Leeds fans aswell...

I've been quiet as York have been dire recently. That said, we've won three on the spin so I'm hoping for mid table mediocrity come April. Relegation battles are stressful.
  • Zomoniac 14 Jan 2014 17:14:52 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sort of vaguely upset Leeds fan here. Would've been nice to see a bright young talent signed.

Though to be honest I'm surprised because I thought we'd miss out because he'd end up signing for a team a step above us. That's not meant as a dig at Huddersfield, just I assumed he'd be catching the eyes of the promotion chasers or one of the struggling-for-goals PL sides.
  • Bmovie 16 Jan 2014 09:42:47 905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jordan Rhodes got 40 goals in L1 when he was younger than Nahki Wells and didn't pass go straight to the Premier League, so not sure why anyone expected him to go there. Seen some Bradford fans describe it as a sideways move which when you look at the differing states of the 2 clubs is frankly ridiculous.

Younger players want to join us cos we have a great track record of improving them and letting them move up the leagues when the time is right. Over the last few years we've seen Peltier move up to Leicester for 750k, Pilkington on to Norwich for 2.5m, Rhodes move on for 8m and Jack Hunt go to Palace for 2m. We are a good stepping stone and there is nowt wrong with that - They do well, we do well and everyone wins. We have now signed Joe Lolley from Kidderminster for the same reasons.

Zom - We are a point behind you with a better GD and plenty of Leeds fans I know still think you are play-off chasers, so we probably are too.

Edited by Bmovie at 09:44:00 16-01-2014
  • Zomoniac 16 Jan 2014 09:57:18 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought it was odd that Rhodes went to Blackburn as well to be honest.

Bmovie wrote:
    Peltier move up to Leicester for 750k
    Got to wonder what they were thinking! At least they found a stupid buyer to take him off their hands pretty quickly.

Bmovie wrote:
    Zom - We are a point behind you with a better GD and plenty of Leeds fans I know still think you are play-off chasers, so we probably are too.
    Plenty of Leeds fans you know are pretty delusional :)
  • MadCaddy13 25 Jan 2014 21:03:05 1,981 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fantastic season for Leicester! The great thing is even though we are on fire we still go under the radar so no players get snagged.

Ive been to most of the home games this season and ive only seen us lose once.

I just hope we keep it up, automatic promotion is a must for us. We don't have the best record in the playoffs.
  • Zomoniac 30 Jan 2014 09:59:13 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This really has been a case of out of the frying pan into the fire. Just when we thought it was all going to be sunny and happy post-Bates.

So just when it looked like Leeds fan, current MD of LUFC and employee of owners GFH Capital David Haigh's consortium was going to complete a takeover of the club, something apparently "came up" in due diligence, so they revised their offer, which GFHC have refused. Instead they're favouring an offer from Massimo Cellino, the owner of Cagliari, who has two convictions for fraud, is currently being investigated in Italy for embezzlement, and has sacked 36 managers in 20 years.

Cellino and Gianluca Festa, whom he intends to place in charge after sacking Brian McDermott for no good reason, were shown round the training ground on Monday. So McDermott and the players are being made to train under the watchful eye of a man who will be replacing him if all this goes through. Cellino asked that Festa be allowed to sit in the dugout during Tuesday's game, but that was declined. At least that goes some way to explaining why the team's gone to absolute shit this month. McDermott appears to be visibly having a breakdown, and I can't say I blame him.

So it's gone from "man who supports the club and has been personally bankrolling player signings since November is definitely buying in time for the January window" to "psychotic criminal who averages 2 managers a season looks to make a sacking before even making the purchase" in the space of 6 weeks.
  • nickthegun 30 Jan 2014 10:02:21 60,477 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder what broke the deal the first time around. Tax debt?

• lucky_jim 30 Jan 2014 10:48:00 5,326 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    This thread has died a bit.
    True. I haven't been here much, mainly because I haven't been following Brighton-related stuff as closely in my second year living abroad as I did in my first - guess I'm less homesick nowadays! But apparently Poyet's Sunderland have upped their offer for Liam Bridcutt to 4 million quid, which sounds ok to me if other Brighton fans' reports of Rohan Ince's performances this season are to be believed. Bridcutt's been a fantastic player for us, but that's a lot of money if we have a ready-made replacement already on our books.

Apparently we're in for Dale Stephens from Charlton as a pretty straight replacement for long-term injury case Andrew Crofts. As I haven't been paying much attention, I can't say I know much about him. Any Charlton fans care to enlighten me?
  • captbirdseye 30 Jan 2014 11:12:53 5,107 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't worry I'll be back next year and boy have I missed the Championship. Premier League really does suck for atmosphere at games when compared with the lower leagues.
  • Zomoniac 30 Jan 2014 11:19:43 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I wonder what broke the deal the first time around. Tax debt?
    It's odd, you'd think that given the man fronting the consortium is currently club MD and a senior employee of the owning company he'd be fairly clued up on what was going on and would know if there were things like that outstanding.
  • Zomoniac 30 Jan 2014 11:20:11 7,852 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Don't worry I'll be back next year and boy have I missed the Championship. Premier League really does suck for atmosphere at games when compared with the lower leagues.
    So the rebrand wasn't worth it for a year in the Premiership then?
  • captbirdseye 30 Jan 2014 11:37:56 5,107 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hehe, at first I struggled with the idea but now it really doesn't bother me what colour we play in or what the badge looks like etc as its only football.

Yes I'd like the owner gone but he's got so much money involved in the club that it will never happen for a good few years now.

I'm not sure what I expected in the PL but it really is a hollow experience of being ripped off for home/away games, shit atmospheres at every ground, loads of plastic idiots joining our ranks so they can watch Utd in the home end.

I was pretty gutted leaving the Championship as I liked the competitiveness and the idea that anyone could win on their day.

Edited by captbirdseye at 11:38:19 30-01-2014
  • markytonline83 30 Jan 2014 12:09:54 173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    As a Blackpool fan I experienced the same thing as yourself @captbirdseye, when Blackpool won promotion. An influx of plastic fans who didn't have a clue what was going on pretty much killed the atmosphere for many games. I had to endure 60 minutes one game of a clueless Mong ranting how bad DJ Campbell was playing when in fact it was Jason Puncheon.

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• MadCaddy13 30 Jan 2014 12:28:54 1,981 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can talk about Leicester but it will just be seen as gloating really
  • Page

of 184 First / Last