The Football League Thread Page 172

• Page

of 181 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 28 Jun 2013 13:02:20 16,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Whelan's a big enough dick that I don't think Poyet is likely to out dick him.
    That conjured up an absolutely horrific mental image
    \o/

You are a factory of sadness.

• thedaveeyres 28 Jun 2013 13:06:29 10,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Big headed, big mouthed twat with an ego the size of Lancashire, who's only there to look out for his son's interests.

The surprise of last season wasn't that Ince kept us up, it was that a supposedly talented young manager in Appleton nearly took a squad of players who had narrowly missed out on promotion the season before, and played well in the Premier League the season before that, down.

It boils down to the simple fact that I don't like Ince or his agricultural methods. Blackpool are a football club who play the ball on the floor, and that's the way I'd like it to remain. I'm not one for pragmatism - I fucking hated it when we had Allardyce even though he nearly took us up.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Zomoniac 1 Aug 2013 14:21:52 7,790 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Louis Tomlinson of One Direction has signed for Doncaster Rovers.

Like you do.
  • neilqpr 1 Aug 2013 17:38:31 2,828 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Charlie Austin get.

His knee is bound to give way as soon as he plays for us.
  • Gruff 1 Aug 2013 18:09:08 2,839 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Knee, Shoulder, appendix, take your pick, but one of them will give in

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Zomoniac 2 Aug 2013 11:06:10 7,790 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Coventry City had their CVA to come out of administration rejected, so will be liquidated today.
  • Dougs 2 Aug 2013 11:07:12 66,637 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck. That just shouldn't be allowed to happen
  • nickthegun 2 Aug 2013 11:21:52 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im kind of glad it has, in a really perverse way. Its needed a big casualty to hammer home that there isnt always going to be someone to swoop in and rescue them.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• SaucyGeoff 2 Aug 2013 11:23:24 2,559 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What does that exactly mean? My understanding is that they now cease to exsit. Is that right?

If so, fuck. That's shit. New season kicks off tomorrow.
  • Zomoniac 2 Aug 2013 11:24:56 7,790 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How did everyone else's teams fare this summer?

This, lack of new players where we need them aside, has been the best summer in living memory at Leeds. The new owners are clearly broke, though we have made our first seven-figure signing in 8 years with Luke Murphy coming in from Crewe. We've also acquired Noel Hunt from Reading and Matt Smith the giant from Oldham on frees.

Off the pitch though, it's all change now Bates has finally gone. Prices are down, membership tiers are available, a club shop has now opened in the city centre so you don't have to go to Elland Road to buy anything. You can now even buy Leeds shirts in JJB, first time since Bates came in you've been able to buy shirts anywhere outside the ER shop. The commentary rights have been returned to BBC Radio Leeds, Radio Bates has been closed down, the restaurant at ER has been closed down, the hotel plans have been shelved.

The shop opened yesterday and David Haigh the CEO of owners GFH was there talking to fans. The owner of the club talking openly with fans in public. It's just hard to believe and take in after so many years. New club website went up yesterday, and at 10:30 last night it was very carefully leaked to all the media that a significant investment to be used to buy back the ground was imminent, and that it wouldn't be Red Bull, thank god.

33,000 tickets sold for the Brighton game tomorrow, set to become our highest league attendance (barring the League One promotion winning sell-out) since relegation from the Premiership.

And Bates was sacked 6 weeks into his 3 year club presidency after committing the club to a 3-year, £500,000 private jet contract to ferry him from Monaco to matches without clearing it with the board. It's a happy time :)

Still don't think we've got what we need on the pitch to make a realistic promotion challenge this season (though having kept Byram is a big bonus), but new manager and lots of content fans will help ease the instabilities, and hopefully we'll have some money to spend come June 2014.
  • Dougs 2 Aug 2013 11:29:48 66,637 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im kind of glad it has, in a really perverse way. Its needed a big casualty to hammer home that there isnt always going to be someone to swoop in and rescue them.
    Fair point. I hope a fans group are able to pick up the name and start again a la FC Wimbledon. But even they had/have decent backing.

No more Keith Houchen.
  • nickthegun 2 Aug 2013 11:31:49 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There will definitely be a newco of some sort, I would imagine. The gutting thing is the fans will have to put their hands in their pockets for tickets again as their season tickets will have gone up in smoke.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 2 Aug 2013 11:32:35 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The weirdest thing about all this is that coventry (the place) has got the nicest out of use ground in the country.

He totally called it

• neilqpr 2 Aug 2013 11:54:31 2,828 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    There will definitely be a newco of some sort, I would imagine. The gutting thing is the fans will have to put their hands in their pockets for tickets again as their season tickets will have gone up in smoke.
    Think I read somewhere they'd only sold 200 season tickets. Still shit for this 200 mind.
  • nickthegun 2 Aug 2013 11:58:20 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When you look into it, its a right state. Apparently they have only sold out the ground once and that was for a cup game to chelsea, they are paying the highest rent of any team outside the premier league at 1.2m a season and the nutters who currently own the club, presumably until today, were determined to build a new, more moderate ground in the city and fuck off the current one.

Its absolutely mental and a pretty cautionary tale of utter, utter mismanagement.

He totally called it

• cowell 2 Aug 2013 12:08:39 676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So Brentford, once more with feeling. We can do it this time....
  • graysonavich 2 Aug 2013 19:42:34 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We're off! FUCK YOU SUMMER!
  • neilqpr 3 Aug 2013 14:22:01 2,828 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Barton starts for us today. We're such a joke of a club.
  • Gruff 3 Aug 2013 17:08:46 2,839 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Qpr won!

What is one supposed do when you win, I forget.

Lucky win though, will need to defend better than we did, plenty of goals for us in this division it seems.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• TheSaint 3 Aug 2013 17:35:09 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know it's only the first day of the season but I'm not sure football can get any better than seeing your rivals joint bottom of the entire football league.
  • Bmovie 12 Aug 2013 11:03:58 893 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Barton starts for us today. We're such a joke of a club.
    Did alright on Saturday but didn't pull up any trees.

We have gone from a bunch of cloggers to a team with CB's that split at each dead ball and refuse to hoof it. We'll concede some comical goals when the passing game fucks up I'm sure but it's much better to watch.
  • Zomoniac 12 Aug 2013 11:10:16 7,790 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thoroughly unconvincing performance yesterday, but two opening fixtures against difficult teams and we've got 4 points and a clean sheet. I'll take that.
  • Deleted user 12 August 2013 11:20:51
    Was a dull match, but I thought we looked as solid and resilient defensively as we've looked in a long, long time. I'm getting increasingly confident. Poleon and Smith also give us great options from the bench which really mix things up towards the end of a match.
  • Zomoniac 12 Aug 2013 11:27:21 7,790 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm hoping to see more game time for Poleon. We've instantly looked more dangerous every time he's come on. As opposed to Noel Hunt, who's been given two 70 minute run-outs and managed to do precisely fuck all.

Was very impressed with Rudy yesterday. Still very unconvinced by the defence, yes we kept a clean sheet but several times Lees and Pearce were left for dead when Rudy appeared from nowhere to bail them out. Once Byram comes back and Peltier can move back into the centre we might look a little more solid. No idea how Paul Green went from so good to so bad in the space of 8 days though.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 25 Aug 2013 13:25:28 3,035 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Good to see Andy Reid looking fit and scoring with his beauty of a left foot again. Shame his international career was so stop start :(
  • Gruff 31 Aug 2013 14:31:57 2,839 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Superhoops!

Not even played that well so far, just been solid.

Surreal

― Agnes Repplier

• Zomoniac 31 Aug 2013 17:01:30 7,790 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty dull game really. Probably the slightly better team won (especially given that first 'goal' was clearly onside), but we didn't get embarrassed by the favourites for the league so no real complaints, never expected to win.
  • thedaveeyres 31 Aug 2013 17:40:00 10,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Top of the league! \o/

Still fucking hate Ince though :)

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• captbirdseye 14 Sep 2013 22:03:08 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nickgun? Did a player for Derby really have to be taken off today for his own safety? Reading a lot stuff about it kicking off against Millwall on and off the pitch?
  • Bmovie 18 Sep 2013 13:02:43 893 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not great quality, but for lovers of 35 yard pile drivers this is worth a watch. Not bad for a CB.

Charlton's goal isn't bad either!

http://telly.com/183XHAU

Better link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InvlGZYk1ik#t=31

Edited by Bmovie at 13:15:26 18-09-2013
  • Page

of 181 First / Last