The Football League Thread Page 154

• Page

of 181 First / Last

• lucky_jim 23 Sep 2012 08:56:18 5,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think Geoff's right about Coventry.

I was just reliving the horror of being a Brighton fan in the late 90s, particularly the 97-98 season when we were in Division 3 with the club's existence at stake. I thought the bottom 5 of that division made curious reading, they were:

20 Swansea- 50pts
    21 Cardiff- 50pts
    22 Hull- 41pts
    23 Brighton- 35pts
    24 Doncaster- 20pts

Just thought that might cheer up supporters of teams bumping along near the bottom of League 2!
  • localnotail 23 Sep 2012 11:34:54 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, I should've known that about Cov, what with Mr Local being a Cov fan, but he's been in denial ever since they got relegated. This is not a happy house, football-wise.

We've got our 125 year gala this week. Martin O'Neill is coming. Maybe we can make him an offer he can't refuse?

Edited by localnotail at 11:35:31 23-09-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• nickthegun 23 Sep 2012 11:49:31 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It makes me a terrible person but every time I hear the word 'Coventry' I think of 'Operation: Premiership' and laugh a little.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Baleoce 23 Sep 2012 22:25:27 1,185 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pleased with the latest win. But the recent 5-2 and 4-0 losses to Hyde F.C and Dartford have really deflated my optimism for Hereford's season. They were just utter mauling's.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Bmovie 24 Sep 2012 09:33:55 893 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blackpool tonight /o\
  • lucky_jim 24 Sep 2012 21:09:40 5,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bmovie

Ye of little faith! Very surprised when I just checked the score though, probably the division's most impressive result of the season so far (if it stays like that and I haven't just jinxed it).
  • thedaveeyres 24 Sep 2012 21:12:08 10,684 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We are playing utter gash. Well deserved win on the cards for Udders.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• ecureuil 24 Sep 2012 21:19:19 76,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reliable source says Kean sacked last night. Refused to go. Bizarely came in & took training today. Confusion all round.

Really hope that's true. :D
  • captbirdseye 24 Sep 2012 22:12:07 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gotta love the Championship after this weekends results. I'm hoping for a Brighton crash like last year :p.

Why Blackburn didn't sack him last year i'll never know, and they'll be in exactly the same position when they announce Eric Black as the new boss.
  • Bmovie 24 Sep 2012 22:38:09 893 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Fuck yeah! I'm scared. We look quite good!
  • lucky_jim 24 Sep 2012 22:51:47 5,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @captbirdseye
    I'm kinda bracing myself for it. Poyet's got a better team this year though, by quite some margin.
  • captbirdseye 24 Sep 2012 23:08:30 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    @captbirdseye
    I'm kinda bracing myself for it. Poyet's got a better team this year though, by quite some margin.
    Yeah your side is much better this year but how much impact will losing Smith cost you?

Noone is having a stormer for us at the moment and is easily our best player.
  • Zomoniac 24 Sep 2012 23:17:38 7,788 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    You have an exceptional manager. Got a team that cost a fiver promoted, lost the best player, couldn't replace him, got slightly weaker team to 7th in Championship. Sacked to use as a scapegoat, now things are worse than ever.

Interesting stats:
    Grayson's first 20 games at Leeds, W12, D4, L4
    Grayson's last 20 games at Leeds, W9 D4 L7
    Warnock's 20 games so far at Leeds, W5, D5, L10

Blamed him for the team being shit (rather than the entire squad being offloaded against his will and not replaced), yet even his last 20 games, ie the reason he was sacked, he was still doing much, much better than the supposed best manager at Championship level is managing.

People go on about Warnock's record of 7 promotions. That's in 32 years of management. Grayson's had 3 promotions in 6 years. That has to be the best record for a relative newbie in the country.
  • lucky_jim 25 Sep 2012 05:11:40 5,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @captbirdseye

Losing CMS might be costly, but it's also a good chance to see what Stephen Dobbie can do (which, if the reaction of Blackpool fans to his signing for us instead of them is any indication, should be pretty impressive). Ashley Barnes also isn't a bad option.

I'm more concerned with Bruno tbh, hope he's not out too long. Having him and Bridge at full-back has really made the difference*, a lot of CMS's goals have come from Bruno's assists.

I think most Brighton fans are genuinely pleased Noone's doing well, although of course we may have changed our minds by the end of the season! It was one of those rare situations where it was a good deal for everyone, we got a fat profit for a player whose position is very well-covered at our club, you got someone who can provide that flair on the wing you needed: win-win.

*As well as finally having a keeper worthy of the name, of course!
  • TheSaint 25 Sep 2012 08:34:09 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    People go on about Warnock's record of 7 promotions. That's in 32 years of management. Grayson's had 3 promotions in 6 years. That has to be the best record for a relative newbie in the country.
    Adkins has four promotions in six seasons of management, but both are pretty impressive.
  • TheSaint 25 Sep 2012 08:36:42 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    @captbirdseye

Losing CMS might be costly, but it's also a good chance to see what Stephen Dobbie can do (which, if the reaction of Blackpool fans to his signing for us instead of them is any indication, should be pretty impressive). Ashley Barnes also isn't a bad option.

I'm more concerned with Bruno tbh, hope he's not out too long. Having him and Bridge at full-back has really made the difference*, a lot of CMS's goals have come from Bruno's assists.

I think most Brighton fans are genuinely pleased Noone's doing well, although of course we may have changed our minds by the end of the season! It was one of those rare situations where it was a good deal for everyone, we got a fat profit for a player whose position is very well-covered at our club, you got someone who can provide that flair on the wing you needed: win-win.

*As well as finally having a keeper worthy of the name, of course!
    Good to hear Bridge is doing well. He used to be a great player back in the day, we used to get so many goals thanks to him bombing down the wing before passing into Beattie.

How is Hammond getting on?
  • lucky_jim 25 Sep 2012 08:57:09 5,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hammond's past indiscretions have been swiftly forgotten, thanks to an apology in the local paper and -more importantly- damn good form. He's a quality player, we all knew that, he just upset a lot of people with his unnecessary "fuck you" to our crowd at Withdean when he scored for your lot (well, it was unnecessary in the sense that nobody was giving him any grief and he was still pretty popular with our fans at that point, but I suspect the occasion and the fact Harding was getting both barrels from our fans were factors).

Certainly Crofts won't be waltzing back into the side when he gets over his injury, which says it all about Hammond's performances (although I suspect Poyet might find a way to play them both when fit, I'd rather have them both on the pitch than 1 + Dicker despite Dicker's surprisingly good start to the season).
  • Bmovie 25 Sep 2012 09:09:10 893 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Bmovie wrote:
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    You have an exceptional manager. Got a team that cost a fiver promoted, lost the best player, couldn't replace him, got slightly weaker team to 7th in Championship. Sacked to use as a scapegoat, now things are worse than ever.

Interesting stats:
    Grayson's first 20 games at Leeds, W12, D4, L4
    Grayson's last 20 games at Leeds, W9 D4 L7
    Warnock's 20 games so far at Leeds, W5, D5, L10

Blamed him for the team being shit (rather than the entire squad being offloaded against his will and not replaced), yet even his last 20 games, ie the reason he was sacked, he was still doing much, much better than the supposed best manager at Championship level is managing.

The difference between Grayson and Lee Clark is like night and day. Now Grayson has finally got the backing he never had with you lot it looks a dangerous combination. Just seems weird that its us, I'm conditioned to getting kicked in the sack.

Also I see SKY have moved our game to Nov 30th, Friday night. Grrrr.
  • roz123 28 Sep 2012 19:49:50 7,112 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kean has resigned!
  • ecureuil 28 Sep 2012 19:53:19 76,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds a bit dodgy doesn't it?
  • Syrette 28 Sep 2012 20:00:26 43,060 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I feel so, so sorry for their fans.

• lucky_jim 29 Sep 2012 09:23:35 5,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wonder how much they're going to have to pay if they want a manager who is any good. I think in order to take that job, the incoming manager would either have to be completely nuts, desperate, or being paid so much that they can't say no. None of those situations are particularly promising for Rovers fans.
  • localnotail 29 Sep 2012 12:23:08 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It would be a great stepping stone for an ambitious new manager though - can't do much worse, but turning the club round would be a very good thing to have on your CV.

• captbirdseye 29 Sep 2012 19:45:12 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decent game today and result could've gone either way tbh but it's nice that we finally beat them for once. Hurray for the Brighton :p.
  • captbirdseye 3 Oct 2012 09:18:03 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Top of the league :D. Quality win last night in awful weather conditions against a decent Birmingham side.

I just saw the Leicester goals last night :o.
  • Bmovie 3 Oct 2012 10:53:53 893 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They were worse/better in the flesh!

Best team we've played.
  • captbirdseye 6 Oct 2012 23:04:40 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice to finally win in 17 attempts against Ipswich and all the better after Campbells cheating handball goal.

2 week break now and Bells should be back :D.
  • localnotail 7 Oct 2012 00:08:29 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phew. Second win of the season. Wycombe's player-(caretaker) manager is holding everything together.

• roz123 9 Oct 2012 10:33:55 7,112 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Owen Coyle has been sacked!
  • Zomoniac 9 Oct 2012 10:46:10 7,788 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, that's the Blackburn manager question answered then.
  • Page

of 181 First / Last