The Football League Thread Page 153

• Page

of 183 First / Last

• captbirdseye 30 Aug 2012 09:38:36 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    No idea really - Lots of chatter online about DJ Campbell, Beckford, Maynard and Jonny Russell and Gary Mackay-Smith at Dundee.

We've lost an outstanding goal scorer but not an outstanding footballer if you know what I mean. The whole team has to be geared around him or he'll struggle. 9.5m is truly transformational money.
    Awesome bit of business for you guys.
  • captbirdseye 30 Aug 2012 09:38:37 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    No idea really - Lots of chatter online about DJ Campbell, Beckford, Maynard and Jonny Russell and Gary Mackay-Smith at Dundee.

We've lost an outstanding goal scorer but not an outstanding footballer if you know what I mean. The whole team has to be geared around him or he'll struggle. 9.5m is truly transformational money.
    Awesome bit of business for you guys.
  • Bmovie 30 Aug 2012 10:00:09 894 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @captbirdseye

My thoughts exactly although the majority of our idiot fans are in meltdown!
  • Zomoniac 30 Aug 2012 10:07:31 7,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If the Sun are to be believed (lol etc) then our takeover will clear about 20 minutes after the transfer deadline. If it's going to happen, then that's the Ken Bates way of it happening.
  • captbirdseye 30 Aug 2012 11:37:26 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All happening today. Maynard is having talks with City this afternoon about a possible loan/purchase after Bellamy had been granted ten days leave to think about his possible retirement after picking up another injury. It's expect that Bellamy will confirm his retirement tomorrow or Saturday. Gutted tbh but saves us 1.8 mill in wages.
  • Stickman 30 Aug 2012 11:57:56 29,666 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That amount for Rhodes is absolutely mental. He's good and all that, but not that good! Blackburn are such a joke of a club.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Bmovie 30 Aug 2012 12:35:24 894 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    That amount for Rhodes is absolutely mental. He's good and all that, but not that good! Blackburn are such a joke of a club.
    I really feel like we've raped them on price. 12 months ago he wasn't even a guaranteed starter for us in L1. Top movement and a top finisher, but he has plenty of flaws in his game. It's a staggering amount. Just hope we've got some incomings lined up.
  • lucky_jim 31 Aug 2012 07:45:13 5,285 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When you think of the sort of "tried-and-tested" players Blackburn could have bought for that money, it is pretty incredible. Bit like winning the lottery for Huddersfield, I think. Should make for some interesting shenanigans today across the Championship and League 1 as Huddersfield look to spend some of that cash on a replacement.

Today's going to be interesting, for sure. Orlandi's move from Swansea was confirmed last night, which helps soften the blow of Noone leaving (as does approximately 1m profit). I'm curious as to how much Norwich have bid for CMS, and why we haven't rejected it out-of-hand: apparently if other moves work out for us today, we're prepared to let him go. Really makes me want to know who exactly we're looking at!
  • Bmovie 31 Aug 2012 10:12:37 894 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sky Sports reckon we're teeing up Beckford. ITKlols also think we're signing Adam Hammill from Wolves.
  • Zomoniac 31 Aug 2012 10:16:52 7,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well Beckford would make sense, his best years were under Grayson.

We're not signing anyone. Hooray! We can make do with our 15-man squad of 12 year olds and has-been mercenaries.
  • Bmovie 31 Aug 2012 10:39:42 894 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair you have the best manager to operate under those circumstances.
  • Zomoniac 31 Aug 2012 10:44:43 7,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    True. To be honest I think most fans see this season as a write-off now. If we can get a takeover sorted by next summer (big if) then maybe next season (if we can get Colin to stay another year). 6 points from the first three games and a third round cup tie against Everton is a good start, I'm 99.9% certain we're not going down, so that will do for now.
  • lucky_jim 31 Aug 2012 10:47:53 5,285 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jay Bothroyd's car is parked in the Amex car park.
  • captbirdseye 31 Aug 2012 11:05:15 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Hahaha, good luck with that journey boy. Absolute idiot and was glad to see the back of him.
  • captbirdseye 31 Aug 2012 11:05:16 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Hahaha, good luck with that journey boy. Absolute idiot and was glad to see the back of him.
  • Bmovie 31 Aug 2012 11:22:42 894 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I'm glad it's in your car park and not ours!
  • captbirdseye 31 Aug 2012 23:25:43 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Happy with Maynard and really happy overall with our purchases. I just hope malky can get us playing now.
  • lucky_jim 1 Sep 2012 09:20:49 5,285 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bmovie & @captbirdseye
    He ended up at Wednesday, can't say I'm too upset tbh!

Reasonably pleased with the day's business. Stephen Dobbie's got an excellent record at this level and could be a good foil for CMS. Orlandi's another for our flair collection, as is David Lopez, although I've got even higher hopes for him- our best move of the day imo.

Dean Hammond, though... hmm. Maybe I would have been happier if the Brighton Argus's Albion correspondent hadn't been putting out tweets right until the deadline saying there was a "statement of intent" coming and "the long wait is finally over". That led a lot of us (including me, albeit cautiously) to believe that Bobby Zamora was coming back. The thought wouldn't have entered my head if it wasn't for those tweets, but he was the only player I could think of that would have made those tweets make sense.

Nobody has been eagerly awaiting Hammond's return. Most of us can't stand him, his behaviour during and after his move away from us (when he was our captain) in the first place was despicable. I won't bore anyone with the details as they're probably not of interest to anyone who doesn't support Brighton, but suffice to say there's a thread on our forum asking if he's going to get booed: whilst I wouldn't go that far, I fully understand the feeling. He's a cunt, basically. I would have found it easier to welcome (say) Glenn Murray back, and he left us for Palace.

Still, he's a better option than either Ryan Harley or Gary Dicker, and that's the main thing I guess.

(Edit: Also, pleased that we reportedly turned down a very large bid from Norwich for CMS).

Edited by lucky_jim at 09:38:26 01-09-2012
  • neilqpr 1 Sep 2012 10:06:25 2,844 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In my twenty odd years watching QPR I've never seen a slower footballer than Betty. Not with regards to actual speed but speed of thought. He'd get the ball, have a think about life, the universe and everything for a number of seconds and then get tackled. Every single time.

In saying that he was most successful under Jones so he may do alright,
  • captbirdseye 1 Sep 2012 10:59:44 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    In my twenty odd years watching QPR I've never seen a slower footballer than Betty. Not with regards to actual speed but speed of thought. He'd get the ball, have a think about life, the universe and everything for a number of seconds and then get tackled. Every single time.

In saying that he was most successful under Jones so he may do alright,
    He'd also spend most of the time eating grass and moaning at the ref twhen he's tackled. He was decent for us until he got that ridiculous England call up then thought he was Johnny big bollocks.

Edited by captbirdseye at 11:00:31 01-09-2012
  • Bmovie 1 Sep 2012 12:10:16 894 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pleased we got Hammill in, if we can get him playing like he did for Barnsley he'll be awesome.

Apparently Leicester shafted us with Beckford. He was up here and had agreed to come on loan and sign perm in January for an agreed fee so he could play today. Then at 10.55 Leicester upped the agreed fee on the paperwork thinking we'd just say yeah OK to rush it through! Clearly, we told them to fuck off leaving Beckford high and dry.

So now they have an even unhappier player on 40k a week, great move foxes. Still think he'll join us when the loan window reopens.
  • lucky_jim 1 Sep 2012 20:21:26 5,285 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bmovie: these things start happening more and more often, once other clubs start thinking you've got a bit of cash to throw about.

Crikey, Craig-Mackail Smith's second today was a bit of a Roy of the Rovers style corker

(Edit- much better clip)

Edited by lucky_jim at 20:40:29 01-09-2012
  • SaucyGeoff 2 Sep 2012 10:45:31 2,574 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    York played as well as I've seen for a while yesterday. Brilliant 3-1 win against Oxford. First home points of the season.

Clarke Carlisle looks to be a shrewd signing, good in the air and very vocal, exactly what we needed.
  • RobTheBuilder 2 Sep 2012 10:48:52 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @lucky_jim Wow
  • lucky_jim 2 Sep 2012 11:23:38 5,285 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder
    His first was almost as good. I don't want to spam up the thread with videos, so I'll do this as an old-fashioned link, but it's worth watching the full highlights.
  • RobTheBuilder 2 Sep 2012 14:40:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @lucky_jim Brilliant. If he could keep doing that kind of thing in the top flight he'd be worth a fortune.
  • lucky_jim 2 Sep 2012 15:42:39 5,285 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well he's pretty much at the peak age for a forward right now, but yeah. There's a real buzz that we're effectively getting the player we expected him to be when we signed him last summer. Part of that is "new season optimism" but he's clearly getting better service now and enjoying it. We might be about to see the best of him this season, and that's got to be good news (although not for opposing defences).
  • SaucyGeoff 4 Sep 2012 22:13:27 2,574 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Only the JPT, but always good to beat a Steve Evans side. Total knob.
  • localnotail 22 Sep 2012 20:57:49 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Are Wycombe the first to sack their manager this season? Bye Gary. Losing to AFC Wimbledon on the club's 125yr anniversary was never going to go well.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• SaucyGeoff 23 Sep 2012 01:37:23 2,574 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think so, didn't Coventry sack someone after only 3 games?

Somehow, York got thier first clean sheet of the season this afternoon. Never seen a 0-0 with more chances. On todays evidence, we can't defend and we can't finish. /o\
  • Page

of 183 First / Last