The Football League Thread Page 150

• Page

of 186 First / Last

• Zomoniac 9 Jul 2012 11:36:06 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woody will be a class apart in this division, if he plays much. It's a very big if though. A 3 year contract seems insane to me.
  • Jono62 9 Jul 2012 11:42:06 14,367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Stickman Cheers for the info. If he's anything like Walker was in his loan spell with us and it means the end of Hutton, then I'll be happy!
  • lucky_jim 9 Jul 2012 13:15:10 5,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bmovie

Yeah, sorry about those guys... what can I say, every club's got 'em! The biggest difference I can see is that I think we're planning a serious push for promotion this year, whereas I'll expect Huddersfield will have similar targets to ours last season (basically, mid-table and anything else is a bonus). That's the only basis on which I can see it happening. We're 5/4 favourites to sign him, but then we were favourites to sign Michael Owen not so long ago, so I'm not taking that too seriously!

As for Charlton, we've got quite a few tame Charlton fans on our board (we've got quite a good relationship with Charlton, ever since they sent a huge number of fans to the first Fans Utd event when we were in the shit, although the shared hatred of Palace helps too). They started posting really shocked messages on our board yesterday, along the lines of "shit, this just happened, we're so completely screwed"- but I don't think it's registered media-wise yet.

Edit: Just seen the "Sorry to break it to you guys" thread on your forum, that guy isn't one of us- he posted a similar message on our board, and was met with predictable responses, my favourite being "if we sign Rhodes I'll drink my own piss". The other guys piling in though, are grade A knobs who should remember how skint we were for so long before trying to lord it over clubs we have no beef with. But like I said, every club's got 'em!

Edited by lucky_jim at 13:25:59 09-07-2012
  • Bmovie 9 Jul 2012 13:24:22 919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This list was a personal highlight;

1) We have more season ticket holders then anyone in this division.

2) Best young manager outside the Premiership

3) We are attracting world class players to the Amex like Bridge,Vicente,Kuszczak etc. Players you could only dream about

4) We have a mega rich chairman who is willing to spend

5) Our stadium is one of the best.

6) the Amex sold more pints than the Emirates last year.

I'm sure Jordan Rhodes is dying to go to Brighton because you sold more pints than Arsenal. Especially when he's tee-total!

Think you're spot on about the ambitions though. I think we're aiming for midtable with a stab at the Play-offs. You'll be right up there.
  • lucky_jim 9 Jul 2012 13:35:35 5,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bmovie
    Yep, I saw that one. Bizarre post, but football boards are full of that kind of guff.

Re Charlton, this is what our resident tame Addick had to say, after rumours started going round that they were sniffing after CMS.

The CMS to us rumour went round a few weeks ago (I mentioned it on here at the time). I considered it highly unlikely then, now it is impossible. Our secret backer pulled out two weeks ago and we are going to have to sell players to avoid administration. Get on us at 9-1 for relegation while you can. Those odds are going to come in now our situation is coming out into the open.
    A few posts later

Talk about highs and lows. A couple of weeks ago, off the back of a 101 point title winning season, rumours about signing the likes of CMS and Michael Turner, hopes of doing a Norwich/Stains with back to back promotions... to this afternoon where a meeting is being hastily arranged to initiate setting up a Supporters Trust to pick up the pieces if/when the club goes under. What changed? One bloke, whose name/identity no-one even knows, put his wallet away. That's increasingly the reality of football clubs as rich men's playthings
    And then...

The backer (widely rumoured to be secretive property tycoon Kevin Cash, but we don't know for sure) had apparently been lead to believe that we would break even in the championship. When he realised that would not be the case, and that we'd need 5m for squad strengthening to be competitive, he did a runner. Also dark rumours that one of our directors was using money meant for Charlton to pay off his other companies' debts, as a result of which our bills (including the taxman) haven't been paid for months. The backer's representative on the board quit on June 22nd, as did the guy who brokered the takeover, so that seems to be the day the money man walked. Surprised the media have yet to pick up on any of this, but I guess they only care about the Premier League these days.
    Just to be clear, this could all be bollocks, but the guy who is saying it has been on our board for nearly ten years and is usually on the money when it comes to Charlton stuff.

Edit: Full thread, if anyone's interested.

Edited by lucky_jim at 13:37:07 09-07-2012
  • Bmovie 9 Jul 2012 13:47:23 919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh dear, doesn't sound good. We don't know how lucky we are having a local businessman done good/mad town fan in charge.

Edit - And yeah, every clubs got em, we've got plenty!

Edited by Bmovie at 13:48:06 09-07-2012
  • lucky_jim 11 Jul 2012 10:08:59 5,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hm, Joel Lynch should prove to be a good signing for Huddersfield. I think most Brighton fans would concede we wanted to keep him when he went to Forest, I reckon he'd still be in our side now if he'd stayed.
  • Zomoniac 11 Jul 2012 14:33:53 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My god, we've signed Paddy Kenny. I don't think anyone anywhere in the world saw that one coming...
  • Bmovie 12 Jul 2012 10:03:24 919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @lucky_jim

We seem to be putting a half decent side together. Rumour has it McCormack is coming this week for a club record transfer.
  • Dougs 12 Jul 2012 10:11:13 69,537 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No Forest fans? Be interesting to see the level of investment...
  • Dougs 12 Jul 2012 10:33:00 69,537 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Speaking of which, they've just sacked Wendy Toms.
  • fletch7100 12 Jul 2012 10:36:10 7,446 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There is a non league club that has a multi billionaire American as its owner. He just visited the area to trace his family roots. Wanted to give something back to the community. So brought the club, made sure they survived.

Doubt he's going to go on a spending spree, shame love to see them sign top players in the world,trying to play in the non league

Messi winner of champions league and Dixie fried chicken south east counties league 2 championship

Edited by fletch7100 at 10:38:58 12-07-2012
  • Zomoniac 12 Jul 2012 10:58:51 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    @lucky_jim

We seem to be putting a half decent side together. Rumour has it McCormack is coming this week for a club record transfer.
    If he does I will fucking scream. With the new acquisitions it looks like Colin's made a good start for stabilising the back, but we're going to have absolutely no threat going forward at this rate. You've already taken our only capable CM, and soon to be followed with our only capable forward. Rumour has it we're selling McCormack, one of the most gifted forwards in the division, and bringing in Luke Varney, who's career record since going pro is less than 1 in 5.

This takeover doesn't appear to be happening. Even if it is, the strong rumour for the person making the buyout is someone currently wanted because he couldn't afford to settle a 240k gambling debt. We're losing our best players at an alarming rate and still no sign of Snoddy signing a new deal so I suspect he's out very soon. Can see us in a battle at the bottom this season unless something drastic happens in the next fortnight.
  • captbirdseye 12 Jul 2012 12:31:04 5,477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What was looking like the crapest league in while is now shaping up for the most competitive I have seen in a long time.

Boring City news - Bellamy has been in talks with the club this week about a possible move after Rodgers agreed he could leave. There are some sticking points at the moment( ie we don't want to pay a fee) but i'm pretty confident he'll be a City player come the first game.

We have also been talking with Kim Yu Bong (think that's his name) who looks like a really promising player but we do face stiff competition from Dortmund but he's mentioned in interviews that English football is where he wants to be so fingers crossed.

Also, I can't seem to find any info on the Alwasi family which would be a major worry for me and I have a feeling this could turn out like the previous Portsmouth owner.
  • DJCopa 12 Jul 2012 13:47:48 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    o/ Forest fan here. Still being cautious about getting too carried away, but he certainly appears to be the real deal. He owned the most successful club in Kuwait (so what) but did alot for youth development, etc. In essence, he presents himself as someone who loves football and is in it for the long haul (nowadays meaning 3years!). No real info on Google or Wiki which I think is a good thing - No skeletons to speak of, although could just mean he is good at hiding them.
    Due diligence took about 2 weeks and all parties seem very happy with the outcome.

Cotterill has been sacked, which was always going to happen with a new owner - Did a good job for us (imo) under difficult circumstances and brought in some excellent loans - Hope we can buy a couple.

TwiTter is exploding with rumours, etc. but I've managed to filter out the shite and now get my news from 3 good sources who have been spot on with how this deal has unfolded.

Excited - YES. Nervous - YES.
  • monkman76 12 Jul 2012 13:51:59 5,419 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    No Forest fans? Be interesting to see the level of investment...
    /waves shyly

We don't like to shout about it these days.
  • DJCopa 12 Jul 2012 13:57:48 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @monkman76 Hey Monkman76 - Do you know if Frank Clark will still have a role at the club? I quite liked the fact that some 'proper' forest faces were getting on board in some capacity or other.

\Forest fan in exile
  • DJCopa 17 Jul 2012 13:25:01 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Please don't be the Venky's in disguise :(
  • Bmovie 17 Jul 2012 13:41:41 919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hopefully that fate is reserved for Leeds :D
  • DJCopa 17 Jul 2012 16:18:57 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :) Although that is probably the kiss of death for me!
  • lucky_jim 17 Jul 2012 16:44:53 5,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like the "Inzaghi to Watford" story might be real, hell of a signing if so!
  • Bmovie 17 Jul 2012 16:48:34 919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't he using a zimmer frame yet?
  • lucky_jim 17 Jul 2012 16:52:14 5,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well he's 38 but I think he'll easily be good enough for the Championship. I mean, Inzaghi!
  • Zomoniac 25 Jul 2012 16:21:41 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Remember that time we had a player and Norwich didn't sign him? No, me neither.
  • TheSaint 25 Jul 2012 16:33:31 14,833 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you reckon he is good enough for the Premier League?
  • nickthegun 25 Jul 2012 16:45:04 61,348 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw Ravanelli first hand in the (now) championship. Lets just say im not confident inzaghi is going to set the world on fire.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Tom_Servo 25 Jul 2012 16:47:20 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's retired from football and signed a contract to be a youth coach at Milan, so no danger of an embarrassing final season at Watford or wherever.
  • nickthegun 25 Jul 2012 16:50:45 61,348 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, in the 'careful what you wish for' stakes, Forest have now had at least half a dozen 'promising' young kuwaiti trialists thrust upon them. Good luck with that, tree fuckers.

Edited by nickthegun at 16:51:28 25-07-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Zomoniac 25 Jul 2012 22:17:15 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Do you reckon he is good enough for the Premier League?
    Honestly, probably not. But then I said the same about Johnson. Snoddy's got the tricks, but for a winger he's very slow. The season before last when we had Gradel on one wing and Snoddy on the other they were both unstoppable, both could comfortably deal with a Championship defender. Last season without Max and with only one obvious attacking threat every team just double-marked Snoddy and we didn't have a chance.

I'd like to think he could do ok, but in reality I suspect a sluggish attacking winger playing in a league where he'll be up against full-backs like Evra and Cole will probably struggle. If it makes sense, whereas he looks better in the Championship than Howson or Johnson because of the way he can waltz past players, I don't think those skills will be as easily transferrable to the higher standard than the other two.
  • bantamenace 26 Jul 2012 00:56:01 73 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Up The Bantams!
  • Page

of 186 First / Last