The Football League Thread Page 149

• Page

of 185 First / Last

• localnotail 18 Jun 2012 13:54:11 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SaucyGeoff We will probably not batter you.

Future of the club still undecided :( All gone very quiet, no idea what the outcome will be, but doubt we'll have any money for player investment.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• thedaveeyres 18 Jun 2012 14:04:27 11,493 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I will try. :p

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• deez 19 Jun 2012 23:44:19 86 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brighton sign a prem quality keeper who I can't spell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomasz_Kuszczak
  • lucky_jim 20 Jun 2012 09:20:25 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ^
    I'm pretty happy with that, all things considered. The next most important thing is getting Vicente to stick around for another year.

We've got 23,000 season ticket holders, a newly-expanded new stadium, and (finally) a quality keeper. I can see us having a really good season if Vicente stays on, and if we can get some quality players for our problem positions (particularly left-back, where I was gutted to see Joe Mattock pick Wednesday over us- can't remember who this thread's resident Wednesday fan is, but you've got a quality player there, as both ours and Portsmouth's fans will attest).
  • Zomoniac 21 Jun 2012 11:38:12 7,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He's got to be better than Casper Ankergren and his entertaining attempts at catching. I love him dearly, but he is a bit shit.

Stuff's getting weird at ER now. Two signings in as many days, the trust coming out and saying they're absolutely confident we'll have new owners come the start of the season (but probably not by the end of June), Ken still in hiding. Cautious optimism seems to be the current state of the mentality.
  • lucky_jim 21 Jun 2012 21:21:27 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like we're keeping Vicente! :D

Edited by lucky_jim at 21:33:38 21-06-2012
  • deez 21 Jun 2012 22:08:06 86 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @lucky_jim seeing as he's about to become a father, you'd hope this means he likes it enough here to settle and so would finish his career here...
  • lucky_jim 22 Jun 2012 05:09:08 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @deez
    I can't remember which game it was, but I remember seeing a highlights clip from a match near the end of the season where Poyet pointed out to Vicente that all the fans were singing for him to stay. The look on his face was priceless, I immediately thought "he's not going anywhere", but some of summer rumours since then have had me a bit worried.

Looking forward to seeing who our other signings are. NSC seems to think we're signing some young Spanish defender from Arsenal on a season-long loan, which could be interesting. Might make up for missing out on Mattock.
  • Bmovie 22 Jun 2012 09:18:25 912 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @lucky_jim
    I fancy you lot to challange this season, especially with nothing special having come down from the Prem.
  • askew 22 Jun 2012 09:22:23 12,592 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    @deez
    I can't remember which game it was, but I remember seeing a highlights clip from a match near the end of the season where Poyet pointed out to Vicente that all the fans were singing for him to stay. The look on his face was priceless, I immediately thought "he's not going anywhere", but some of summer rumours since then have had me a bit worried.

Looking forward to seeing who our other signings are. NSC seems to think we're signing some young Spanish defender from Arsenal on a season-long loan, which could be interesting. Might make up for missing out on Mattock.
    Oh, is Miquel off to you? Good player - and the experience will do him good. Made a few appearances last season, but playing alongside Squillacci can't do wonders for your progress!
  • Bmovie 22 Jun 2012 11:14:04 912 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've apparently signed Sean Scannell from Palace for 400k. Pleased with this if true, we are in serious need of Pace.
  • Dougs 22 Jun 2012 11:37:25 69,125 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Miquel is a good player, needs to bulk up a bit but is quite classy. A season in the Championship will do wonders.
  • lucky_jim 22 Jun 2012 17:31:26 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @askew Yeah that's the guy, nothing concrete at the moment but there's a lot of chatter about him coming. I'm sure Vicente and Calderon would make him feel at home, and there are worse things in life than a year in Brighton.

@Bmovie - A lot depends on who we sign, but it sounds like the club have made the play-offs the target, and I'd be delighted with that. Who knows, maybe there'll be a signing or two that'll increase my expectations. I both love and hate transfer time.
  • deez 22 Jun 2012 18:29:02 86 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @lucky_jim It gets ridiculous. My boss is adamant Heskey is definitely signing as his builder mate 'knows for certain' that he's rented a house in Ovingdean.
  • lucky_jim 22 Jun 2012 19:42:24 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @deez That Heskey rumour just makes no sense. His wages would be enormous for us, and he just wouldn't fit into the way Poyet wants the team to play. We do seem to get a lot of baffling rumours attached to the club.

I'm gonna look really stupid if we sign Heskey, but I reckon I'm safe.
  • deez 25 Jun 2012 21:23:34 86 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brighton sign another Valencia player with Champions league experience - Bruno Saltor.
  • lucky_jim 26 Jun 2012 08:25:17 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting, must admit I didn't recognise his name but I see he got a fair few games for Valencia last season in both La Liga and the Europa League, so I'm marking this one down as a bit of coup.

Edit: and surely this means Vicente's return is even more certain?

Edit 2: Miquel's wikipedia page says he's signed on a season-long loan, but that's almost as unreliable as that football-rumours website. Still, there's an unmistakably Spanish feel about the club nowadays!

Edited by lucky_jim at 08:25:46 26-06-2012

Edited by lucky_jim at 09:31:10 26-06-2012
  • lucky_jim 27 Jun 2012 07:55:57 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, we've activated the extra year on Vicente's contract, which seems odd as we were trying to get him a new one. Apparently it's just because he can't make it back to the UK until the 5th to sign the all-new deal, but obviously some people are coming up with outlandish theories. At least this way, if he doesn't stay, we get a fee.
  • captbirdseye 29 Jun 2012 22:41:44 5,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After the craziest summer in our history I'm pleased that we're now bring players in and i'm very pleased with the purchase of Jordan Mutch who looks like a real talent and a bargain at under a million.

Talks from within the club hint that our owners have spoken with Bellamy and he's keen for a return this summer (did some PR work for us in Asia the past couple of weeks) and he's told Rodgers he would ideally like to leave now rather than next year.

Hopefully we can get a quality winger and a striker and with a few squad players we should be pretty strong for next year.
  • Bmovie 6 Jul 2012 09:12:50 912 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clayton nicked from Leeds :)

Squad shaping up nicely.
  • Zomoniac 6 Jul 2012 09:31:15 7,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great signing for you, very sorry to see him go. It seems an intelligent passing central midfielder isn't part of the Warnock style. It's probably no coincidence that his dip in form from looking like one of the most creative midfielders in the division to looking like a lost puppy happened pretty much exactly when Grayson left. He'll do well under him again.
  • Saucy 6 Jul 2012 09:46:14 2,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pretty happy with our summer so far. One of the problems with being a non-league side is that generally all your players are on 1 or max of 2 year deals. So with loads of players out of contract and coming off a decent season, there's the worry other clubs will come and offer your better players deals.

A lot of angry fans when Meredith left for Bradford, but he's the only one we've lost, all the other key names signed up, and we've strengthened in the right areas with new faces. If we can get Jonathan Smith back we'll be set. He was ace for us a couple of years ago, and has experience in the league with Swindon last season. Would be a force in the middle of the park.

Bring on Aug 18th and Wycombe. I'm excited!
  • Zomoniac 6 Jul 2012 09:50:18 7,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This takeover thing is draining. The restlessness amongst fans at the minute is quite comical. Ken hasn't said a word about anything in 2 months, which is completely unprecedented. The club said over a week ago that an exclusive period for due diligence had been granted. Since then, just silence. But we've just sold a player today. Maybe the bizarre 5am announcement was to leave the rest of the day open to announce more important things. Perhaps I'm just kidding myself. I'm starting to believe it won't actually happen now, that the contract will be handed to Ken for the sale and he'll just laugh and say "I was only fucking with you, it's not for sale". Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
  • Jono62 6 Jul 2012 11:40:42 14,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Villa have apparently signed Matthew Lowton from Sheffield United. What's he like a player? Know he's meant to be a good RB but can he make the step up straight away? Hope so as it will mean the end of Hutton!

Edited by Jono62 at 11:41:47 06-07-2012
  • lucky_jim 6 Jul 2012 20:53:21 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wayne Bridge on a season-long loan is another good move for Brighton, I think.
  • localnotail 7 Jul 2012 00:43:26 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New start at Wycombe :) We are free of Steve Hayes \o/ Club is now in the hands of a supporters trust again, with a lot of help from the same local family who helped to fund the new ground. Transfer embargo was lifted and we have made 6 signings already :D

Shame we couldn't get this in place last season before hitting the drop (again) but so it goes. Feeling quite positive now :)

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• lucky_jim 9 Jul 2012 06:10:28 5,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bmovie
    Been seeing a lot of rumours that we're announcing the signing of Rhodes for 5m this week. Seems unlikely on a lot of different levels- the price tag for one, then there's the fact that CMS didn't exactly set the Championship alight after making the step up (he's done well for us imo, just not as well as his 35-goal season in League 1 led us to expect).

Have you heard anything? [Edit- I'm now hearing that Will Hoskins would be sent to you as a makeweight, which makes it slightly more believable, but I'm still not convinced]

Perhaps more significantly for the whole division, really sorry to hear of Charlton's financial issues. Looks like they've got serious, serious problems, their financial backer has apparently pulled the plug and they've gone overnight from looking forward to life back in the Championship to not knowing how they're going to survive. From what I've been told, he baulked at how much it was going to cost to make Charlton competitive and decided he didn't want to pour his money in anymore.

Edited by lucky_jim at 07:30:52 09-07-2012
  • Stickman 9 Jul 2012 07:33:21 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Jono62

He's another one in the mould of Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton. Good going forward, actually a bit better defensively than either of them were. He could easily start instead of Hutton. Rumour was that he turned down other Prem clubs because he didn't want to not play, so he must have been promised some football at Villa.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Bmovie 9 Jul 2012 10:52:22 912 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @lucky_jim

All I've seen of it is some of your morons coming on our forum with the usual 'banter'.

Can't see it personally. We're both well backed financially, we're both of a fairly similar size, we're both in the same league (although you're a year ahead of us development wise), he still lives at home near Huddersfield, and we have apparently turned down Reading's offers of similar amounts with noises coming from the club of 8m or get lost.

So to say I can't see it would be an understatement, although Football is full of surprises.

Where's this about Charlton? I must have missed it.
  • dr_swin 9 Jul 2012 11:19:52 4,908 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not at all happy that we've resigned Jonathan Woodgate. A player continuously on the treatment table is of no use to anyone.
  • Page

of 185 First / Last