The Football League Thread

• Page

of 191 First / Last

Previous
  • TheSaint 5 Feb 2007 11:30:36 15,765 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apologies if this is old but just had a look in the sports tab and did a search but was not able to find a thread on the championship.

It is getting to be an exciting league and a number of teams could go up and of course Leeds could go down so thought I would create a thread to discuss it.

Anyone else on here a fan of a championship team?
  • Gruff 5 Feb 2007 11:38:20 3,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    QPR....For my sins
  • TheSaint 5 Feb 2007 11:42:57 15,765 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    QPR....For my sins

Good win for you on Saturday.
  • captbirdseye 5 Feb 2007 11:43:28 6,260 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cradiff City here boyo's.
  • TheSaint 5 Feb 2007 11:43:47 15,765 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    Leeds.

Not such a good Saturday for you. How do you rate your chances of staying up?
  • TheSaint 5 Feb 2007 11:45:49 15,765 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was at the Saints game on Saturday against Derby and how they are top of the league I will never know.

Luck like they are having has to run out and I don't believe they have the quality of West Brom, Birmingham and some of the other teams at the top.
  • Gruff 5 Feb 2007 11:47:34 3,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah lifted us above our relegation rivals for the time being but not for long i feel.

Edited by Gruff at 12:01:00 05-02-2007
  • Twinkle 5 Feb 2007 11:58:33 542 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derby \o/
  • Fonzie 5 Feb 2007 12:01:05 2,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wolves here unfortunately
  • Dant 5 Feb 2007 12:10:34 894 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    grayson wrote:
    Leeds.

Slim and none, as the guy above said injuries are not helping but the main problem is half the players employed by the club are simply not good enough.

When you hear talk of Poyet coming out of retirement, then you realise just how bad it is.
  • TheSaint 5 Feb 2007 12:14:33 15,765 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dant wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    grayson wrote:
    Leeds.

Slim and none, as the guy above said injuries are not helping but the main problem is half the players employed by the club are simply not good enough.

When you hear talk of Poyet coming out of retirement, then you realise just how bad it is.

I thought the team was fairly similar to the one that got to play off final last season.
  • caligari 5 Feb 2007 12:16:25 17,235 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    *cough* NORWICH CITY *cough*
  • banjoted 5 Feb 2007 12:17:05 1,500 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A fellow Saint here. We're making hard work of it this season!
  • Dant 5 Feb 2007 12:17:14 894 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Dant wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    grayson wrote:
    Leeds.

I thought the team was fairly similar to the one that got to play off final last season.

Minus a couple of old players and Rob Hulse it is. If truth be know they were incredibly lucky to get to the play offs as their post christmas form last season was terrible and it has continued into this season.

Something must have happened around xmas time last year, thats when the latest rot started and it looks like it has firmly set in.
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2007 12:27:07 64,293 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I was at the Saints game on Saturday against Derby and how they are top of the league I will never know.

Derby Fan here.

We are top of the league thanks to a few things. We are currently 'winning when playing badly' which is the sign of a decent team. One of the reasons we are doing this is that Davies is a real stickler for fitness.

In the past we conceeded nearly all of our goals in the last 25 minutes, now thats when we are scoring most of them. We have just got that extra yard at the end of the match.

I mean, look at our goal difference. We dont score many, but we do keep a lot of clean sheets which means 3 points when we nick a late goal.

Davies has got us fit and organised so when we nick one, we keep the clean sheet.

We are also getting the rub of the green, to be fair. We have had our share of luck this year, unlike previous seasons, which makes me even more determined for us to go up as you never know when it will desert you.

So, overall, we are the Cliff Thorburns of the Championship. The Grinders.

Being a traditional pessemistic derby fan, I still cant go into a game believeing we can win. Its horrible being top. Im convinced the next bad run is round the corner. Just look at Cardiff and Birmingham....
  • Deleted user 5 February 2007 12:45:27
    Coventry \o/

Or rather...:(

Pretty depressing being a cov fan at the moment. Things were looking so good tail end of last season too. Sigh. Still, I'm old enough to remember the '87 cup win. Suspect we won't be seeing them days back again...
  • ballz 5 Feb 2007 12:48:04 497 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Leicester City unfortunately. Yes, I know.
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2007 12:50:29 64,293 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    Coventry \o/

Hows 'Operation: Premiership' going? Because becoming a selling club makes it look like it will be as successful as 'Operation: Enduring Freedom'.....

Still, could be worse.....

Edited by nickthegun at 12:51:16 05-02-2007
  • Deleted user 5 February 2007 12:54:03
    nickthegun wrote:
    nekotcha wrote:
    Coventry \o/

Hows 'Operation: Premiership' going? Because becoming a selling club makes it look like it will be as successful as 'Operation: Enduring Freedom'.....

Still, could be worse.....

Edited by nickthegun at 12:51:16 05-02-2007

I loved the open letter the Chairman sent out to all people on the mailing list a few weeks back. It was full of phrases like 'our three year plan', which is apparently a plan that involves losing continuously for most of the first year to lull all the other teams into a false sense of security. Or something. :D
  • PES_Fanboy 5 Feb 2007 12:55:02 24,391 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I work for, and support a Championship club.

I'll give you a clue, we're in East Anglia and we don't play in Essex nor do we wear yellow.
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2007 12:57:50 64,293 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @neokotcha - Not going for the 'True Sky Blue' seats then? ;)
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2007 12:59:09 64,293 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

I'll give you a clue, we're in East Anglia and we don't play in Essex nor do we wear yellow.

Enormous longshot, but you dont know of someone called 'Cheeseboy' (aka Ritchie) do you? I think he was actually born with an ITFC tattoo on his arse...
  • Dougs 5 Feb 2007 13:02:08 72,622 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

What's it like to work for the club you support? My mate is a Swindon fan and used to work there....said it destroyed his image of his club and really wishes he hadn't seen it all from the inside
  • MisterFalseName 5 Feb 2007 13:07:00 991 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another Derby fan here.

A very happy fan, because I put a fiver on us to win the title at the start of the season at 35-1. \o/
  • PES_Fanboy 5 Feb 2007 13:07:09 24,391 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

What's it like to work for the club you support? My mate is a Swindon fan and used to work there....said it destroyed his image of his club and really wishes he hadn't seen it all from the inside

It's destroyed the image of football rather than the actual team. Not for better nor worse, really, just a bit of an eye opener.

I don't know Richie Cheeseboy, but I feel now like I should!
  • generica 5 Feb 2007 13:08:21 4,279 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a friend who works in the Arsenal shop. It probably would affect his opinion if he didn't get loads of free stuff, know about future kit releases, get to play in ths stadium at the end of the season etc.

Did you know we are getting a white kit soon?
  • Dougs 5 Feb 2007 13:09:54 72,622 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    generica wrote:

Scurrilous rumour from what I can gather. I would like to see a "reverse" kit, white shirt, red sleeves. That could work....
  • Deleted user 5 February 2007 13:10:03
    generica wrote:

At the request of Emirates no less. Would you change your name to Spurs if they chucked you a few mil do you think? :p
  • generica 5 Feb 2007 13:16:29 4,279 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    generica wrote:

Scurrilous rumour from what I can gather. I would like to see a "reverse" kit, white shirt, red sleeves. That could work....

It's going to be something like that apparently, possibly more of a purple though like last season. You heard it here first.
  • Dougs 5 Feb 2007 13:47:03 72,622 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    At the request of Emirates no less. Would you change your name to Spurs if they chucked you a few mil do you think? :p

Closest you'll get to a trophy....! :)
  • Page

of 191 First / Last

Previous