360 DVD playback on HD output

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • BEAR-ONE 31 Jan 2007 11:07:54 77 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi all, I know this has probably been covered before but I searched the forum and did'nt find any info.

I have just installed a 720p Panasonic videoprojector to hook the 360 to with the component lead. Setting the switch on the lead to HDTV, and the console display to 720p the dashboard and games look really great. However, PAL DVD suffer from terrible visual artifacts (horizontal bands with a different video level from the rest of the picture, they seem to originate from bright spots on the film picture) that look totally like bad MPEG2 decoding. The video does not stutter like I have read it does for other owners.

It does this for all HD settings, even the 480i one which is not HD at all. Of course one can only get 60Hz for HD output which is absolute bollocks anyway (have Microsoft ever heard of a place called Europe?). The only way to get the problem to disappear is to manually switch from HDTV to TV on the cable, and set the XBOX SD TV settings to 50Hz.

Basically this means switching EVERY time I want to watch a DVD rather than play a game.

Has anybody found a workaround?

BEAR ONE
  • Ginger_Messiah 31 Jan 2007 11:13:32 952 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a known compatibility problem with component cables and your projector (pt900 by any chance?), all goes away with VGA.
  • BEAR-ONE 31 Jan 2007 11:25:04 77 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ginger: yes it's the PT-AE900

Wow that's totally wierd that it's a problem with the projector. When the picture is paused on the 360, the bands remain but the 360 display bar (with Pause, FF, rewind and all) is not affected. That's what got me thinking it was the 360.

I'm not going to pull a VGA lead, now that I've coughed up the cash for a 10meter component cable (highly overpriced just like most cable stuff found in idiophile shops, but I could'nt be arsed to make my own this time).

Thanks for the info, time to delve into some google about this projector problem then...

BEAR
  • Ginger_Messiah 31 Jan 2007 11:50:17 952 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BEAR

Individually none of the components are at fault, it is simply something that happens over component on the projector (I have the same model is why i know)

If you had the same cable going through a plasma TV there wouldn't be any banding at all.

If you want some further reading I believe there is a fair few threads on AVforum regarding this.

If you want DVD playback best bet is to get VGA.

Oh and one interesting note, this doesn't happen on HD-DVD's through the HD player - just so you know.
  • bivith 31 Jan 2007 12:01:25 2,466 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BEAR ONE wrote:
    Hi all, I know this has probably been covered before but I searched the forum and did'nt find any info.

I have just installed a 720p Panasonic videoprojector to hook the 360 to with the component lead. Setting the switch on the lead to HDTV, and the console display to 720p the dashboard and games look really great. However, PAL DVD suffer from terrible visual artifacts (horizontal bands with a different video level from the rest of the picture, they seem to originate from bright spots on the film picture) that look totally like bad MPEG2 decoding. The video does not stutter like I have read it does for other owners.

It does this for all HD settings, even the 480i one which is not HD at all. Of course one can only get 60Hz for HD output which is absolute bollocks anyway (have Microsoft ever heard of a place called Europe?). The only way to get the problem to disappear is to manually switch from HDTV to TV on the cable, and set the XBOX SD TV settings to 50Hz.

Basically this means switching EVERY time I want to watch a DVD rather than play a game.

Has anybody found a workaround?

BEAR ONE

The 360 outputs DVDs at 572p/i or whatever PAL is regardless of whatever the dash is set to. I haven't noticed any issues you describe on my Panasonic projector, although any inherent artifacts are massively more noticable when blown up on a projector screen anyway.

Try calibrating your projector with a setup disc, as poor setup can reveal flaws.
  • BEAR-ONE 31 Jan 2007 13:50:50 77 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bivith, it's not just flaws in the DVD or a bad projector setup. The problem is so glaringly obvious when you see it on the screen that it cant be mistaken for anything else than an incompatibility issue or a hardware/software problem.

I work nearly everyday with SD material shown either on 32" LCD TVs or on our massive SANYO 2k videoprojector. In those cases you definitely see picture defects (for those in the know, try mixing a film with crappy heavily compressed video files from an AVID editor projected onto a cinema screen...).

Oh well...

BEAR
  • bivith 31 Jan 2007 13:59:59 2,466 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dunno then.

BTW the 360 outputs a 50Hz 576p/i signal via component when playing DVDs even if your dashboard is set to 720p 60hz or whatever. I don't have a clue why using the switch on the cable makes a difference though.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next