Any good PS2 games out there?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • pistol 30 Jan 2007 12:50:38 13,019 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been struggling to complete my RE4 for the PS2 recently and finally decided to give it up. I've been having problems killing U3 because I've run out of ammo. I get to the point when he goes underground but I just don't have anything left to attack him with.

Can anyone recommend any really good PS2 games as I'm in danger of throwing mine through the window atm? I like all sorts, driving, RPG's, Sport. Even older games I might have missed.

Edited by pistol at 12:51:41 30-01-2007
  • Kay 30 Jan 2007 12:52:06 17,955 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Okami's out next week.

K
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jan 2007 12:56:22 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts 2, which is lovely once you get past the rather boring intro section. Buy that and you can race me to the end. ^_^
  • caligari 30 Jan 2007 12:59:01 17,185 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A fairly recent thread that should give you some good ideas! :)

Edited by caligari at 12:59:46 30-01-2007
  • caligari 30 Jan 2007 13:00:45 17,185 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts 2, which is lovely once you get past the rather boring intro section. Buy that and you can race me to the end. ^_^

I can feel myself being drawn towards Kingdom Hearts 2. Convince me that I NEED it, Blerk.

Then point me towards the cheapest price. \o/
  • djchump 30 Jan 2007 13:02:29 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Guitar Hero 1
    Guitar Hero 2
  • TwistidChimp 30 Jan 2007 13:03:52 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    A fairly recent thread that should give you some good ideas! :)

Edited by caligari at 12:59:46 30-01-2007

Yeah good thread, some great suggestions.

Oh, and get God of War right now pls.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jan 2007 13:05:21 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    I can feel myself being drawn towards Kingdom Hearts 2. Convince me that I NEED it, Blerk.

I'm not sure I can tell you why you need it. I really don't like Disney that much, but for some reason it all seems really great in the context of KH. It looks bloody lovely and has great music too.

Not that cheap, but cheapest. Or Argos have it for the same price if you're near a shop.
  • HiddenAway 30 Jan 2007 13:13:28 14,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Blerk wrote:

Gummi, on rails shoot-em-up blaster. Best mini-game I've played in a long time (final mission is too hard though :-( )

There, sold it :-)

Edited by HiddenAway at 13:14:33 30-01-2007

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• DodgyPast 30 Jan 2007 13:17:30 8,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is too busy playing FFVII and FFXII to care about anything else.

It's quite scary really.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2007 13:20:28
    FFX and FFXII, either of the Katamari games and Gradius V would be my picks.
  • DodgyPast 30 Jan 2007 13:22:08 8,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Actually looking back I'd agree with Katamari, and I'll add God of War plus Black.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2007 13:23:01
    DodgyPast wrote:
    boabg wrote:
    Actually looking back I'd agree with Katamari, and I'll add God of War plus Black.

Aye, God of War was immense.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jan 2007 13:34:22 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Even I liked God of War. Except for the final stage of the final battle, which sucked.
  • GrandTheftApu 30 Jan 2007 13:43:26 6,119 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yakuza
  • JediMasterMalik 30 Jan 2007 13:54:32 11,820 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metal_Slime wrote:
    I would second God of War, but only if you don't mind OCEANS of blood in cutscenes. I hate it when developers have to resort to extremely violent cutscenes to make a game more, er, cool? A great game nonetheless.

Cause fairies and flowers would have worked better? It worked in context. And it was cool. ^_^
  • Derblington 30 Jan 2007 13:57:43 22,129 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Prince of Persia 1-3
    GoW (and 2 soon, I hope)
    Guitar Hero 1&2
    ICO
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Okami
    God Hand
    FFXII
    Rogue Galaxy (again, hopefully)
    Psychonauts (although the Xbox version is better)
    Beyond Good and Evil (Please get this if you haven't already!)
  • pistol 30 Jan 2007 16:43:50 13,019 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks all..some good ideas there.
  • psychokitten Moderator 30 Jan 2007 17:41:22 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Other than the previously mentioned gems, I'll just quickly add two:

Silent Hill 2
    Fahrenheit
  • Feanor 30 Jan 2007 17:45:29 14,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Blerk wrote:

Donald Duck is priceless.
  • caligari 30 Jan 2007 17:47:24 17,185 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    Blerk wrote:

Donald Duck is priceless.

Heh heh. I have to admit to being a HE-UGE Donald fan. I've never played any of the Kingdom Hearts games, but I used to love Castle / World of Illusion (although they're obviously totally different to a JRPG!).
  • T.G. 30 Jan 2007 18:00:57 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was just looking at the trailer for God Hand, and I'm mildly interested. Is it really any good? Somebody convince me, please. I'd like to like it...
  • CitizenGeek 30 Jan 2007 19:32:49 3,465 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm currently playing through Ico for the first time (Sony equals love for re-releasing it!) and I have to say that it's freakin' awesome! Of course, when you start playing a game that has had nothing but praise and that is held in such high regard, one's standards are sky high, but Ico has so far surpassed all of my expectations.

I suggest you hunt down a copy VERY quickly and get stuck in. I'm typically shy of puzzles and games that have lots of them as I find them to be too hard with the answers usually hidden away in some place that you would have never thought of checking and that just degerate into frusration. However, Ico manages to be satisfyingly challenging, on the puzzle front, while never, ever desending to frustration. And, fo course, the game is beautiful - Images from this game will stay with you for a very long time. The combat is enjoyable and the play mechanic with Yorda is perfection.

Ico is life-changing. Well, it's not 'life-changing', but that just seems like the word to use when describing Ico. Find it. Buy it. Play it.

And it's relatively short too, with plenty of incentives to play through a second time, or so I'm told. So by the time you've finished it twice, FFXII will be just around the corner. Gaming dilema solved.

Edited by CitizenGeek at 19:38:09 30-01-2007
  • Introspectre 30 Jan 2007 19:36:44 3,274 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    T.G. wrote:
    I was just looking at the trailer for God Hand, and I'm mildly interested. Is it really any good? Somebody convince me, please. I'd like to like it...

God Hand is 100% complete crud. It's made by Clover studios though, so some peeps have convinced themselves that it is actually good. Sad.

Rogue Galaxy is out now. Must have it. Ngggghhhh.
  • TwistidChimp 30 Jan 2007 19:49:41 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    I'm currently playing through Ico for the first time (Sony equals love for re-releasing it!) and I have to say that it's freakin' awesome! Of course, when you start playing a game that has had nothing but praise and that is held in such high regard, one's standards are sky high, but Ico has so far surpassed all of my expectations.

He's not wrong, still probably my fave PS2 game evarz as it were.
  • FabricatedLunatic 30 Jan 2007 19:52:08 13,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    T.G. wrote:
    Depends on whether or not you like hard-as-nails old-school brawlers. The production values are fucking dire, but it does have a certain charm. You can, for instance, smack lady baddies on the bottom, and the whole thing is shot through with a degree of humour.

But by God(hand) it's hard.
  • AlanGreenspan 30 Jan 2007 19:55:58 312 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Any good PS2 games out there?

nope sorry
  • CitizenGeek 30 Jan 2007 20:19:07 3,465 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    CitizenGeek wrote:

He's not wrong, still probably my fave PS2 game evarz as it were.

Well, I'm not sure it surpasses my Square Enix RPGs just yet and I honestly doubt it'll topple FFX from it's top spot as my favourite PS2 game, but it's certainly up there. I mean, Ico just seems to be perfect. Well, except for the camera which can be a bit dodgy sometimes but I even feel guilty saying that becxasue Ico is just such an awesome game.

How does Shadow of the Colossus compare?
  • JediMasterMalik 30 Jan 2007 20:26:36 11,820 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I preferred SotC to Ico if I'm honest.
  • CitizenGeek 30 Jan 2007 20:29:11 3,465 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really? You don't sound too enthuiastic about that, so did you actually like either game?

My love affair with Ico will continue for a long time, I haven't even finished it yet and I'm already planning on how I'll play through it a second time.

Edited by CitizenGeek at 20:47:19 30-01-2007
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous