What are your pet hates? Page 32

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• EMarkM 11 Dec 2012 18:06:31 3,173 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ^ Telephone Preference Service helps a bit with this. Also the postal version for paper junk mail.
  • mal 11 Dec 2012 19:16:21 22,341 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just bounce any paper junk mail with a return address on it. I get very little junk mail these days, just that from companies I'm doing business with.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Nemesis 11 Dec 2012 20:03:46 18,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gman7714 wrote:
    Fuckwits that pull out of a turning causing everyone to have to slow down only for them to stop completely and fucking park up. Wait until the road is clear you fucking twats!!!!!!!!
    •sigh• or take the next exit.

Some fuckwit pulled out from the kerb and blocked my side of the road to join the opposite lane. Fair enough, if it's a bit busy and all that.

However.....there was nothing behind me and the opposite lane traffic was about 20 cars plus. So you couldn't wait for me to go past first before going ? I'll sit here shall I, whilst there's still nothing behind me? It wasn't like I had anywhere important to get to, you take your fucking time. You just assumed I wouldn't mind.

I went around him and called him a cunt, but did feel slightly bad for doing it.
  • oceanmotion 11 Dec 2012 20:06:31 15,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People that play the TV far too loud, same with people in cars.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 20:13:20
    I hate people playing TVs loud in their cars.
  • oceanmotion 11 Dec 2012 20:16:42 15,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :D

Yeah, obviously.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 20:18:29
    20 minute wait before even being asked what I want to drink in this restaurant.

Just as well I wasn't going to tip them anyway.

Edited by Aargh. at 20:18:41 11-12-2012
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 20:24:16
    What Aargh isn't telling you is that he's sat in his mum's kitchen.
  • ronuds 11 Dec 2012 20:25:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've read that you're to tip no matter how bad the service, which I think is ridiculous.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 20:58:32
    I tip based on quality of service. Give good service and you'll get 10%, give great service and you'll get 20%. If you're shit you get nothing.
  • mrpon 11 Dec 2012 21:14:30 28,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If the meal is bad then I ask for it to be deducted.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 21:24:11
    Fucking hate tipping. It really is a global sham. But 10% standard. Will not tip a penny if it is below average service.
  • oceanmotion 11 Dec 2012 21:43:08 15,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I've read that you're to tip no matter how bad the service, which I think is ridiculous.
    That not an American thing because they get paid less than a proper wage.

One that annoyed me greatly was actually adding the 10% to the bill before giving it to us and it wasn't even a large party. I scored it out and left a message, I will decide what your tip is. I gave them nothing for that. Service was shit anyway so didn't feel bad for staff if it was a restaurent policy.
  • Rusty_M 11 Dec 2012 21:49:57 4,595 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When I was a waiter, I never expected a tip from any individual, and if asked "how much should we tip" I would always reply "as much as you feel is right". Tipping as a rule is bollocks and, like Mowgli, I would never pay a gratuity for poor service.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• kinky_mong 11 Dec 2012 21:58:37 9,997 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I actually pushed someone out of the way by the face for doing that. Quite recently in fact, he looked pissed but didn't retaliate.
    That has made my day reading that, good on you! :D

Similar tube habits that piss me off:

People not moving down the aisles of a carriage when they're packed, making it needlessly uncomfortable for the people bunched up around the doors. Especially if the oblivious arseholes ignore the polite suggestions from passengers and the driver/platform attendant to "move down, please".

People who force themselves onto an already packed tube during the peak times, even when the next train is only a minute behind. Cheers twat for pissing everone else off because what you have to do is so important that it couldn't wait 1 or 2 minutes more.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• localnotail 11 Dec 2012 22:39:03 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You need to tip food & drink staff in the US or they will starve - it usually makes up the bulk of their wages due to the business owners paying them fuck all due to tax minimising.

Over here though, it should be discretionary.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• ILoveThrashMetal 11 Dec 2012 22:45:39 675 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cyclists who think red lights don't apply to them!

Arsechickens

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 23:09:20
    Tipping isn't necessarily about tax minimising. The reason I can go out and get a damn good steak dinner with free drink refills for the equivalent of about eight quid is because of tipping. Most actual restaurant places use the lower overheads on staff costs to increase the value and quality of the meals. Tipping (at least in the US) is part and parcel of the whole system, rather than any bolt-on method of dodging extra payments. It's just a different ecosphere, really.
  • localnotail 11 Dec 2012 23:14:58 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's how it was explained to me by a bar owner last time I was there. He said he had to pay more contributions to the government if he paid his workers better. We were topping up their pay directly.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 23:32:24
    I'm reasonably sure that isn't actually the case. Tips have to be reported and are taxable as wages. Employers are actually obliged to report tips to the IRS each year, and if things don't add up (whether by the employee not reporting or the employer attempting to pay less tax) they run the risk of being audited. That's why some restaurants in larger, busier cities are starting to automatically add tips to the bill, so it's all counted and allocated, even with cash.

That isn't to say unscrupulous types don't use it as a dodge, I'm sure some do, but that's not really the reason the system exists. And arguably the dodge is more on the employee side than the employer.

Edited by meme at 23:34:27 11-12-2012
  • Dr_Mech 12 Dec 2012 04:50:19 1,009 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    The twats in Game.

The twats in Game who pester me within five seconds of entering the door because obviously being older than 12 I must be senile and have no idea about these new fangled computer things.

"Do you need any help, Sir?"

No. I fucking don't. I was coding before you were even a dribble down your Mother's arsecrack that through sheer persistence managed to crawl the fuck back up. I've got floppy disks fucking older than you and built my own systems before you'd learnt to spew the wretched garbage you call language, tearing syllables from mid-air with all the delicacy of a starving cat eating the desiccated remains of its owner's face.

FUCK OFF.
    As someone who works in retail I'll give an explanation as to why you get asked this question.

Most retail companies will employ what are called "Mystery Shoppers" which are basically people on the company payroll that go around each store making sure that the staff are following 'procedures'.

Currently at work our variation of it is called "The Three steps", this basically entails, where possible (if you're single cover and there is a queue then the first step is ignored), going up to a customer and asking them if they need help (the other two steps are asking if they're a member already and upselling extra rentals and preorders at the counter).

Now you're SUPPOSE to do it straight away but the way we work it in my store is you give the customer a minute or so and if they're aimlessly wandering around the shop or just kind of staring at the shelves then you go up and ask. If the response is something along the lines of "oh I'm just browsing" then you go "ok, I'll be around if you need any help" and walk away.

This is enough to cover the 'not getting fired' portion, they prefer it if you actively try to upsell to the customers there and then "oh I see your browsing the Xbox games, are there any you like to preorder" however I always find that to be more of an annoyance for customers and more likely to get them to just fuck off out the shop, so instead ask them at the counter and just ask if there is anything they want to Preorder. They so no then I don't pester them into trying to take a preorder, which again just fucks off customers if you do that.

Now you HAVE to follow those steps, you get caught not doing it three times by a mystery shopper and you're fired, no ifs, no buts, you're gone.

So yes, it is incredibly annoying but the guy doing it is just doing it to keep his job, he doesn't know you're not a mystery shopper. Most companies don't see it as annoying, which is what most people actually find it (people are surprisingly more aware that they're being pressured into a sale and really don't like it than companies give them credit for) and instead merely see it as way to increase sales.

So yeah don't blame the poor countergrunt who is just trying to keep his job, blame the fucktards in head office that have decided that this is the best way for them to make money.

I'm quite thankful it is just three steps, it use to be this whole raft of questions you HAD to ask but some of them were so inane as to be completely fucking pointless liking asking Cash or Card when 9 times out of 10 the customer is HOLDING THE FUCKING CASH/CARD IN THEIR HAND ALREADY and even if they were you had to fucking ask it like some braindead moron and the upselling was probably at Game levels where they constantly badger you.

It was so fucking awful it only ever got done if upper management came into the store otherwise it just got ignored.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 04:54:36 12-12-2012
  • kickerconspiracy 29 Dec 2012 11:37:12 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watching people play Mario who don't use run.

Drives me fucking spare.
  • jonsaan 29 Dec 2012 11:50:13 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @meme can you go out and get a good steak dinner for eight quid though? Presumably you have to then tip on top of that?

FCUTA!

• Syrette 29 Dec 2012 12:04:26 43,127 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    The twats in Game.

The twats in Game who pester me within five seconds of entering the door because obviously being older than 12 I must be senile and have no idea about these new fangled computer things.

"Do you need any help, Sir?"

No. I fucking don't. I was coding before you were even a dribble down your Mother's arsecrack that through sheer persistence managed to crawl the fuck back up. I've got floppy disks fucking older than you and built my own systems before you'd learnt to spew the wretched garbage you call language, tearing syllables from mid-air with all the delicacy of a starving cat eating the desiccated remains of its owner's face.

FUCK OFF.
    I get that all the time, must be my age. It's great when they eventually realise I know far more than them about gaming. One tried to convince me that I should get a Wii U and Batman Arkham City as it's the best version, I then pointed out I had played it on my PC, which is in fact the best version.

He walked away at that point.
    Not that big a deal is it? Annoying maybe but nothing a polite "no thanks" won't eradicate within seconds. If they start harassing you then it's different but they're just doing their jobs. On top of the mystery shopper thing mentioned above, a lot of GAME staff at the moment are going to be Xmas temps trying to get a permanent job.

Don't think you can really judge someone's knowledge of games based on what they say as a member of GAME staff either. They're trying to make money off you however they can. They'll know some games aren't good, good luck to them pretending otherwise.

Upper management to blame really, as said before.

Edited by Syrette at 12:17:13 29-12-2012

• Syrette 29 Dec 2012 12:06:17 43,127 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    My oet hate is now Deckard calling somebodys 4yr old son an idiot due to the forumite posting in the wrong thread. What a fucking pleb
    Bit harsh on that forumite for you to call him a fucking pleb after deckard mocked his son.

• Syrette 29 Dec 2012 12:10:43 43,127 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Being on a forum, and having your post be the last post on the page. Like I think this one is.

• Syrette 29 Dec 2012 12:16:14 43,127 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Casual? no, and I most certainly do not buy from GAME, I sometimes browse in there when out shopping to pass some time while the other half does her thing.

Ah, that's another of my pet hates, people making massively wrong assumptions.
    Heh, was just having a laugh with that line. Edited it out as u mad son.

• Page

of 35 First / Last