What are your pet hates?

• Page

of 34 First / Last

Previous
  • Pirotic Moderator 29 Jan 2007 10:10:26 20,646 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's Monday, I've got a cold, and I have tons of really difficult work to do today (coding a transformation matrix) and my son has decided to pick up an ear infection and is screaming non-stop - time to vent a little frustration Eurogamer style!

Right, a few rules - you can only pick one pet hate, and you have to describe it in the form of a first-person example of what happens..

People who spend ages at cash machines!
    So here I am, It's a busy saturday and i've stood in line for about 5 minutes waiting to use a cash machine. The person infront of me has just walked up to the machine, so being next in line i'm already holding my card ready. Not long now!

I watch as the person at the machine inserts in their card, does a balance check, then simply stares at the screen for a minute before pressing the done button and picking the card back out of the machine. Then just as i'm about to start walking forward, they pull out another card. wtf?

After they've done another balance check, they get out a third card. By this point my hands have frozen off and I have about 8 angry people behind me in the queue.

Now after about 8 minutes they've finally decided what they are going to do, so they put the first card back in again and take out 10 (wtf?).

Now here is the real pet hate..

Once they've got the money, they don't move the fuck out of the way. Instead they stand right infront of the machine and spend a good minute slowly folding up the note before putting it away in slow-motion, then having a good poke around the handbag for god knows what reason before they slowly shuffle out of the way.
  • morriss 29 Jan 2007 10:11:30 70,749 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Duplicate threads.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2007 10:12:23
    Prams in busy streets and Fucking Students.

Note capitalisation.

edit: and people who can't read the rules.

/assplodes

Edited by boabg at 10:13:31 29-01-2007
  • Pirotic Moderator 29 Jan 2007 10:13:29 20,646 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Duplicate threads.

Hehe, after a certain amount of time you're better off re-creating the thread and letting people start again rather than bumping old threads which will put any new commenters off because they have 20 pages of history to read.
  • smoothpete 29 Jan 2007 10:15:08 31,019 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People making statements sound like questions by raising the intonation at the end of the sentence? Like this? FUCKING DIE!
  • GrandTheftApu 29 Jan 2007 10:17:03 6,119 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People who weave unpredictably from side to side as they walk slowly along the pavement.

Cyclists who run red lights/ pedestrian crossings.
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Jan 2007 10:17:07 35,172 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:

Once they've got the money, they don't move the fuck out of the way. Instead they stand right infront of the machine and spend a good minute slowly folding up the note before putting it away in slow-motion, then having a good poke around the handbag for god knows what reason before they slowly shuffle out of the way.

Oh Christ, +1000000000!

Similarly, people who wait till they got told what they have to pay before they decide to open their bag, search for the purse, etc. etc. What a fucking surprise that you need that purse now, eh?!

Also:

People who stop exactly at the end of an escalator in a store to have a good look around where they find what they wan to buy. And then complain if people bump into them from behind.
  • morriss 29 Jan 2007 10:17:24 70,749 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Duplicate threads.

Hehe, after a certain amount of time you're better off re-creating the thread and letting people start again rather than bumping old threads which will put any new commenters off because they have 20 pages of history to read.
    Don't care. Search bar.

(not talking about this thread per se)
  • pauleyc 29 Jan 2007 10:23:22 4,385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good call with the cash machines.

Other than that, two categories of people get recently on my nerves:
    - idiot drivers that do something incredibly stupid yet are so dumb and arrogant they get out of the car and start yelling at people who point out their mistakes (lights/horn, after ample time)*,
    - constant whiners.

* Happened recently to me; an idiot blocking the street got out of his car to yell obscenities at me because I dared to remind him that he was the one supposed - and actually able - to move out of the way and let other cars pass.

edit: tweaked to fit the rules

Edited by pauleyc at 10:57:30 29-01-2007
  • kalel 29 Jan 2007 10:28:18 83,878 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People who fidget. It drives me berserk. The worst are the people who I can actually feel fidgeting, someone who drums on their desk or jiggles their leg up and down thereby rocking the whole row of seats at Spurs or something like that. I really really hate fidgeters.
  • strangeed 29 Jan 2007 10:29:34 629 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    Good call with the cash machines.

Other than that, two categories of people get recently on my nerves:
    - idiot drivers that do something incredibly stupid yet are so dumb and arrogant they get out of the car and start yelling at people who point out their mistakes (lights/horn, after ample time),
    - constant whiners.

Brussels has a slight problem with road rage at times. The city is just too full.

One thing I have noticed is that everyone seems to ignore common courtesy's like waiting for people to get off the tram/metro/bus before piling in like a bunch of demented trolls. The same goes for idiots who don't stand to the right on escalators to let people pass. It's an everyday thing which doesn't do you any harm and makes everyone else's life easier, but do they do it?

I've sharpened the end of my umbrella and given it an edge.
  • Ecanem 29 Jan 2007 10:32:55 5,035 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People..
  • TheSaint 29 Jan 2007 10:33:36 13,630 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    - idiot drivers that do something incredibly stupid yet are so dumb and arrogant they get out of the car and start yelling at people who point out their mistakes (lights/horn, after ample time),

Add to this people who start to drive across a roundabout even though their exit is blocked and just sit across it blocking everyone. Yes I am mainly looking at you women with one child in the back of your massive range rover.
  • zErOb_cOOl 29 Jan 2007 10:40:27 3,237 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My pet hates are people only liking music becuase it's popular with other people already, drunk people thinking they're clever, and Nazis.

EDIT - didn't read the thread rules. My ONE pet hate would have to be the drunk people thinking they're great. They can't see past the bars and clubs and that there are other things to do in the world, are generally complete layabouts, and generally not nice people. Of course I'm referring to people who do it all the time, and I can forgive students because that's what I used to do as one!

Edited by zErOb_cOOl at 10:46:19 29-01-2007
  • Jeepers 29 Jan 2007 10:46:30 13,172 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My pet hate? The growing number of people in this country who are unable to either walk at a pace faster than that of a one-legged toddler, who are unable to walk in a straight line without veering from side-to-side like a drunken one-legged toddler or those who are unable to walk in a straight line without stopping abruptly to admire the shiny, shiny thing in the shop window that now commands their attention, holding them in a moist, rapt trance, oblivious to the fact that they're in my fcking way.

I hate them. There should be some form of test that you're required to take before being allowed out in public. Fail and house arrest will be your reward.
  • boo 29 Jan 2007 10:48:23 11,604 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mobile phones, and more specifically, the people who use them.

It's 7am on a Monday morning and yours truly is dragged, kicking and screaming (or more accurately, dozing and snoring) from the womb-like comfort of a warm and snuggly duvet and a warm and snuggly wife.

After standing in the shower and acheiving the absolute minimum levels of consciousness required to navigate to the station I stand around on the platform awaiting the train.

Joyously though, not three feet away, some girl who apparently shops exclusively at Chavs-R-Us already has a mobile phone glued to her ear. Despite it not yet being 8am she has compelling need to discuss the salient points of her weekend with another witless individual.
    This friend is presumably partially deaf, hence the need for our chavette to conduct her half of the conversation at full volume.

The train arrives and I'm able to snag a seat and attempt to lose myself in a book for twenty minutes.

But wait! What's this? Our chavette is halfway down the carriage (but sadly still well within earshot), but dropping into the seat opposite me is some young chap clearly in the employ of either a banking establishment or possibly an estage agents.
    Nasty shiny suit, cropped hair swimming in gel, slumped in the seat with his knees well apart attempting to take up as much space as possible.
    And in his hand? The ever present mobile phone.

I don't have a phone so don't know much about them, but I can only assume that if you don't use it, or press buttons on it, every 30 seconds, then it stops working.

He fidgets with it constantly, like it's some kind of security blanket. Every minute or so he keeps going back to it like it may have transmogrified intro a packet of weetabix while he was looking out of the window. The constant twitching distracts me and I end up reading the same page three times.

Eventually we're off the train and onto the tube. The cramped, smelly, rattling tube that provides a haven of peace, as it travels where mobile signals cannot - for now.

But still they fiddle and twitch...

Off the tube and heading for the exit, but our ordeal is not over yet. At the bottom of the escalators we see them.
    Junkies...
    Addicts...

Blocking the path of people trying to access the escalators, they stand oblivious as they cling to the last dregs of signal. That conversation so important it can't be continued later.
    People coming off the bottom of the escalator have nowhere to step and they bump into our junkie who stares angrily at them.
    Because it's not their fault is it?

Out and into the daylight we emerge, and move en-masse like salmon returning upstream to our spawning ground. The mass moves as one to begin with, but then ripples occur as people have to break right and left. People bump into each other, curses are muttered below the breath, paper cups of coffee are spilled and bitterness and frustration levels are raised imperceptably.

Why?

Because somebody's walking along slowly, head down, looking at a text message, blind to the crowds around them, ignorant to the chaos caused.
    Because they need to know that Kerry snogged Wayne last night, and they need to know now!

The crowd squeeze onto the narrowing pavement and outside Benjy's, they're forced to squeeze even more, as a selfish fool performs the mobile phone dance.

One hand in trouser pocket, one hand clamping phone to ear, he moves in slow motion circles, staring at the sky, his inane conversation matched by the vacant look on his face.

A fat man wearing sports clothes (why is it always the people least likely to take part in any sporting activity who wear sports clothes?) pushes past me, going the other way. Plugged in his ear is a device that looks like some Max Power / Star Trek hybrid. An interstallar communicator with underskirt neon.
    In his little world he sees himself as some kind of high powered 'player', in constant connection with the fast paced world.

I just see a fat twat with a toy in his ear.

And I haven't even got to work yet.

Just Another Lego Blog

• nickthegun 29 Jan 2007 10:52:23 55,898 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People who dont drive the speed limit when the road is perfectly clear. If it says 50 drive at fucking 50, not 35 or 40. If its a national speed limit, at least try and do 60. Also, cock punches for people who drive 40 in a national speed limit and continue to drive at 40 through a 30mph village.

People who revel in being thick.

Drum and Bass 'Headz'. Being a long standing member of the D+B massive it really grips my shit when middle class white people start saying 'dis' for 'this' and other annoying parts of the D+B lexicon. Its doubly annoying when written, like on the D+B Arena, where every post looks like its been sent in via text from a crack dealer. YO! CHECK DIS!! DIS TUNE IS GUNNA B MASSIV!!! It just makes me ashamed to be 'part of the scene'.

People with rich parents who try and deny they pay for everything. 'Oh, ya..the new Golf...I won it in a card game'.

When you disagree with someone online only for them to turn around and say 'So am I not entitled to an opinion'. Yes you are. just as im entitled to disagree with it.

Aaaaaand a million and one other things.....

EDIT: I didnt read the rules properly, but, pffft......in some way or another all those things happened to me at the weekend, so I feel im entitled....

Edited by nickthegun at 10:54:07 29-01-2007

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Spanky 29 Jan 2007 10:52:41 14,448 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People who ain't at work during the day, other than pensioners, get a fucking job! If you're working nights then you should be in bed. If you're on the street and not in your work clothes between the hours of 9 and 6 i'd have you killed. Daytime tv would require an id card or a sick note from the doctors put into a set top box.

My other pet hate is having to work and you humans.

Plubs

• bauhaus 29 Jan 2007 10:53:57 3,511 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Self appointed Guardians of the Law

cunts doing 70 in the fast lane, with stickers on the back of their cars saying the aint gonna go over 70 as well. Cunts

pull over, let me past, leave it to the rozzers and cameras to slow me down, not you; you cunt, you have no authority and now I want to kill you.

and your gurning kids
  • strangeed 29 Jan 2007 10:56:42 629 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boo, that was utterly brilliant!

I liked the chav part best, made me spill water over my keyboard though and my boss is on his way. Sigh
  • espadachin 29 Jan 2007 10:59:14 2,210 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    today my pet hate is: everything
  • bauhaus 29 Jan 2007 11:02:24 3,511 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    You flash at me and I'll kill ya*

*has no kids or stickers.

i dont flash, i RAM, over and over again, attempting to clip the corner and send the car spinning into on coming traffic*

*in my head
  • boo 29 Jan 2007 11:03:12 11,604 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No more Burnout for you, young man.

Just Another Lego Blog

• TheSaint 29 Jan 2007 11:03:39 13,630 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bauhaus wrote:
    Self appointed Guardians of the Law

cunts doing 70 in the fast lane, with stickers on the back of their cars saying the aint gonna go over 70 as well. Cunts

pull over, let me past, leave it to the rozzers and cameras to slow me down, not you; you cunt, you have no authority and now I want to kill you.

and your gurning kids

Just out of interest what do you think is an acceptable speed for driving in the fast lane?
  • smoothpete 29 Jan 2007 11:04:02 31,019 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cyclists who ring their little bells behind me when I'm walking, rather than using their voice to say "excuse me".

/pushes next bastard into the thames

Edited by smoothpete at 11:05:20 29-01-2007
  • bauhaus 29 Jan 2007 11:04:08 3,511 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My missis made me remove my Wipout soundtrack from the car
  • Deleted user 29 January 2007 11:05:43
    smoothpete wrote:
    Cyclists who ring their little bells behind me when I walking, rather than using their voice to say "excuse me".

/pushes next bastard into the thames

Bikes on pavements is another. If I see one coming up behind me I slow down and walk in the middle.
  • bauhaus 29 Jan 2007 11:05:55 3,511 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

Just out of interest what do you think is an acceptable speed for driving in the fast lane?

I go as fast as the guy in front.
  • Page

of 34 First / Last

Previous