Band of brothers

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • matrim83 29 Jan 2007 05:56:05 5,587 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only thread that I found was an OST one so don't go olding me. Anyway I got the DVD set for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and only got around to watching it now and it is amazing. I can't believe the money HBO must have spent to make it look like it did. It is (purely from a visual point of view) better than anything I've seen on TV.

The story, characters so far are pretty decent. Episode 2 really reminded me about a very similar level in Call of duty 1. Episode 3 was unbelievably brutal (think the Omaha beach landing in Saving private Ryan done in a French village). Going to watch episode 4 tonight.

As much as I love the series so far I have to ask how good is the book? Worth reading? Is it as good or is it dumbed down patriotic garbage ala Clancy?

Valar morghulis.

• HitchHiker 29 Jan 2007 06:00:18 2,771 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure about the book but the TV series was fantastic!.
    The Call of Duty level was based on Episode 2, the village of Carantan (sp?).

Just wait until you see the Bostogne episode, truely amazing and horrorfying in one go.

Hitch.
  • Tabasco 29 Jan 2007 06:47:03 5,780 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Book is Ok but BoB is one of those funny series/films that is far better than the book.

Biggest amount ever spent on a series (at least at the time, something might have beaten it by now) which is why it looks so damn cool. Fav ep for me is Crossroads, which was directed by Hanks, just superb...

Why we fight is a real tough one to get through though.
  • Sorbicol 29 Jan 2007 07:27:02 591 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This should be on the national curiculum for secondary schools imho. It's about the only TV drama series about war I've seen that doesn't glorify it.

I still have problems with games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty turning the 2nd world war into a game, but I guess I'm a little old fashioned about some things.....

• Deleted user 29 January 2007 08:54:17
    Funny to see Tommy from Snatch in there after Turkish's jibes about "Ze Germans" :p

Great series, got it on DVD just before Christmas.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 29 Jan 2007 08:59:27 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good to see you're enjoying the boxset. I've had it for about a year or two now and still want to watch it again. The varying styles in each episode are assimilated brilliantly.
  • TheSaint 29 Jan 2007 09:50:48 14,309 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love this series and have a claim to fame that I am currently living on the very ground where most of it was filmed.

I think that HBO's new show Rome is now the most expensive TV show ever made but seem to remember that when it was first on TV they said that the D-day episode had more explosions than the whole of Saving Private Ryan.
  • bauhaus 29 Jan 2007 10:14:15 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stephan Ambrose, the author of BoB has written half a dozen ace books in a similar vain. D-Day and Citizen Soldiers being amongst teh best

He is guilty of viewing the yanks contribution through rose tinted specs somewhat, but his writing style and research is pretty compelling. I would recomend the book

Also, if you can pick anythign up by Max Hastings, for a slightly grittier more strategic overview.

Both very good authors though
  • jellyhead 29 Jan 2007 10:34:54 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The book for BoB and several of his others are good but they weren't meaty enough for me. They skimmed bits i wanted to have more detail but they are definately worth a read. I agree though that the series was a brilliant piece of work and even David Swi/Scwi/Ross from Friends didn't spoil it.

Really good show.

The game was good until you realised that tactically it was a bit repetitive and that your hard-as-nails trooper couldn't climb over a kerb or a brick in the middle of the road thereby forcing you to go through a sniper infected field. :)

bauhaus, I read BoB and the blue covered Air Force book and didn't want to read any of his others if they were the same. I'll have to look for D-Day and Citizen Soldier if you say they're the really good ones. Ta.

Edited by jellyhead at 10:36:47 29-01-2007

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Nasty 29 Jan 2007 11:05:47 4,741 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Patriotic Garbage"

Not much of that at all. Ambrose does a pretty good job of pointing out just as many military failures as he does successes. He writes more about the fact that most of the men there went to make a difference and ended up fighting for the man next to him rather than for a flag.

Both Citizen soldiers and D-Day are excellent reads, pretty biased towards American deeds but for British involvement you could always read Pegasus Bridge.
  • bauhaus 29 Jan 2007 11:11:26 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of his main thrusts throughout Citizen Soldiers, a theme he returns to over and over again, is that the US soldier was better than anything the Germans pitched against them

Sadly not true.

He does drops the point that the Riechs best was probably facing East not West by that stage of the war, and the allies pwned the air too, thus knackering the germans ability to move and function during the day.

Considering these facts, the boys in grey did a stirling job. Had Rommel got a free hand in Normandy then the fight for Europe could have been a lot worse and slower than it was.
  • Sucram 29 Jan 2007 11:16:59 251 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just started watching this. As they showed the map of France I couldn't help but hear the mission briefing voice from Company of Heroes.

and has our sense of history been ruined or enhanced when we start picturing Road to Hill 30 or Call of Duty or whatever whilst watching a series about D-day + x ???

/confused/
  • Errol 29 Jan 2007 11:19:58 12,466 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bauhaus wrote:

Had Rommel got a free hand in Normandy then the fight for Europe could have been a lot worse and slower than it was.

Had Rommel got a free hand, the allies would have been lucky to get off the beaches.
  • jellyhead 29 Jan 2007 11:37:02 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sucram wrote:
    I just started watching this. As they showed the map of France I couldn't help but hear the mission briefing voice from Company of Heroes.
    and has our sense of history been ruined or enhanced when we start picturing Road to Hill 30 or Call of Duty or whatever whilst watching a series about D-day + x ???
    /confused/
    I'd say enhanced, after playing the games i'm certainly more respectful of the abilities of and fear the appearance of a Tank could put into a battlefield when you're an Infantryman.
    If a game makes you think of the actual conflict i doubt you're taking it lightly and the game has given you a greater appreciation of the situation those poor sods found themselves in.

• terminalterror 29 Jan 2007 12:00:49 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I think that HBO's new show Rome is now the most expensive TV show ever made

That makes sense. Apparantly the sets they built for Rome are the largest ever constructed. It didn't do well enough for a second series, but they had invested so much money that they had to do one anyway, which is good.

However, it isn't quite up there with Band of Brothers. What is the name of the one they are currently filming about the pacific conflict in the same vein?
  • Lovemoose 29 Jan 2007 12:02:54 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The book is good, but don't expect a novel. It's popular history, and as bauhaus mentioned, somewhat rose-tinted. I really liked it however, so I was gutted when Ambrose died in 2002.

I was even more gutted when Michael Kamen died, as I loved the music from the series.

/descends into pool of despair.

twitter: @chockey

• bauhaus 29 Jan 2007 12:04:26 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shit! didnt know he had died

I allways look at the Ambrose section in my local book stores, rose tints or not, he does a good war book.

• jellyhead 29 Jan 2007 12:19:53 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blimey, i hadn't realised they'd both passed away either.
    Bless 'em both. :(

• Lovemoose 29 Jan 2007 13:34:48 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry chaps. I know it's gutting to find out stuff like this after the fact. Same thing happened for me with Bill Hicks, had no idea until 9 months afterwards.

(someones going to pop up and say "shit, don't tell me Bill Hicks is dead" aren't they?)

/fears becoming the angel of death and summoner of despair.

• President_Weasel 29 Jan 2007 13:46:02 9,201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am going to derail or rerail this thread and mention that I didn't realise that Damian Lewis was English when I initially watched the series. I think he did a pretty good American throughout the show.

Then I saw a bit of Warriors, and it took me a while to realise that the familiar-looking English lieutenant in it was actually Major Dick Winters.

Edited by President Weasel at 13:48:20 29-01-2007
  • BravoGolf Moderator 29 Jan 2007 13:47:13 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man, I want to watch that series all over again now. First time I watched this was on my laptop. Should watch it again in all it's projector glory
  • Lovemoose 29 Jan 2007 15:22:23 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Definitely BG, you know it'll be worth it. I love the Bastogne and Foy episodes.

/Digs out boxed set.

• matrim83 29 Jan 2007 17:12:34 5,587 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    The book for BoB and several of his others are good but they weren't meaty enough for me. They skimmed bits i wanted to have more detail but they are definately worth a read. I agree though that the series was a brilliant piece of work and even David Swi/Scwi/Ross from Friends didn't spoil it.

Really good show.

I thought Ross was actually quite good as Sobel (sp?). It was the Office space guy that kept killing the illusion for me. I kept expecting him to just stop going to the war cause he didn't feel like it.

Oh and Damian Lewis is excellent as Dick Winters. Just comes across a very capable and caring leader so far. Might give the book a go now when I am done with the series.

Edited by matrim83 at 17:13:11 29-01-2007

Valar morghulis.

• Deleted user 29 January 2007 17:17:00
    CURRAHEE!!

Five miles up, five miles down.
  • terminalterror 29 Jan 2007 17:21:04 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Blimey, i hadn't realised they'd both passed away either.
    Bless 'em both. :(

Likewise. I really did love the music for Band of Brothers.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2007 17:24:52
    /sticks on Day of Days.

Love it
  • Deleted user 29 January 2007 17:26:42
    Even the music on the menu is excellent.
  • Donny 29 Jan 2007 17:27:45 1,491 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everything about it is excellent.
  • glaeken 29 Jan 2007 17:31:37 11,143 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A good series though the stereo typed Brits in it were a bit crap. Not that there are many but each time one pops up we are treated to a stupid stereo type that kind of detracts a little.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous