New Car help please

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • DaisyD 26 Jan 2007 18:43:37 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've spent the last wekk looking at for a new car and tomorrow I'm going to buy one. Unfortunately I've not quite decided on which. It's either goingto be a 55-reg Peugeot 307 S (1.6 16v) or 06-reg Renault Megane Dynamique (1.6 16v). I won't post all their specs - it's not that hard to find them, but they do both have aircon. The renault s also keyless and has lots of cubby holes for storage, but the 307 has more leg room front and back and less mileage on the clock. Before part exchange and haggling the 307 is 7995 and the megane is 8495.

Anyone had any good or bad experiences with either car which may help me make my mind up?
  • Mike_Hunt 26 Jan 2007 18:53:31 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    4 years ago we had a 307 as our pool car where I used to work. I'm not normally a fan of french motors, but I was genuinely impressed with it. It was like a minibus in side yet still looked pretty sporty on the outside. I can't comment on the engine as we had a HDi one.

Without trying to sound sexist take a male mate along with you. Not because he may know more than cars, but because you can engage in a bit of role play (steady). As in you take the car for a drive, he says he loves it and you say you simply can't afford it and much prefer the Renault/Peugot (delete as appropriate). If the salesman thinks the price is a dealbreaker they'll cut it right down. If you go in their on you're own it's harder to negotiate. Just a tip, plus having someone else there means you've got two sets of eyes looking at the car (more likely to spot problems) and are less likely to get bullied into a decision by the salesman (spawns of satan, the lot of them).

[MH]
  • DaisyD 26 Jan 2007 19:05:38 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I plan to take my other half with me. It'll mean the 2nd weekend in a row I've dragged him to garages, so I've not told him yet! :D

TBF we got the same feeling from the 307 last week - doesn't lok that big from the outside! It's like a tardis!

Thanks M_H
  • pjmaybe 26 Jan 2007 19:26:30 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To echo the 307 love-in, it's liable to end up being my next car. The CC (if I can afford it) is bloody lovely.

Do not buy a Renault, they're rattly plasticky pieces of shite.

Peej
  • Hughes. 26 Jan 2007 19:30:37 2,812 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye, Renaults are cheap tat, with expensive parts bills when things break too.
  • deem 26 Jan 2007 19:34:27 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • racingrob 26 Jan 2007 19:39:48 41 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not into French cars at all, would never recommend one or buy one but if that is what you are after then go for it.

Just remember that it is near the end of the month and the salesman might need one more sale to get his bonus! If he does not go and check with his boss that he can let it go for what you are offering then you are not pushing hard enough.

Most dealers make about 6% on each car but the manufacturers give then 500 to 1000 to play with (variable marketing). All that means is there is plenty of discount if you want to make them give it to you.
  • DaisyD 27 Jan 2007 11:56:17 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice so far. Any more advice before I go and do it?
  • HiddenPooh 27 Jan 2007 12:50:47 1,427 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a Megane. Equipment levels are superb as is the engine. Comfort levels and driving position are awful though and I could not recommend for this reason.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2007 12:55:30
    My folks have got a 307 and I'm in big agreement on the levels of space. Also pretty comfortable. I don't think they had any issues with it, although my old 206 had several issues when it got over 5 years old.

If you're dead set on those two I reckon the 307's the better bet. Don't forget to get them to throw in the year's tax and a full tank of petrol too!
  • MrNice 27 Jan 2007 13:27:46 182 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would stay away from the Megane. I know 3 people who have newer Renaults, all of which have had to have major work done under warranty (in one case the gearbox fell out!!!). So the pug wins on default for me. Why don;t you goto www.whatcar.com and read the reviews etc???
  • Deleted user 27 January 2007 13:43:27
    Oh, forgot to mention - www.parkers.co.uk is absolutely invaluable for checking out how much you should be paying for the car, what are likely to be the major issues with it over it's lifespan, and just about any other information about the car you could need. Definitely worth looking up those motors on there before buying.
  • Dragul 27 Jan 2007 14:17:45 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrNice wrote:
    I would stay away from the Megane. I know 3 people who have newer Renaults, all of which have had to have major work done under warranty (in one case the gearbox fell out!!!). So the pug wins on default for me. Why don;t you goto www.whatcar.com and read the reviews etc???

I also have a megane... after you solve the problems under warranty (took me 2 years) the car is awesome! great engine, great equipment and IMHO very confortable... I would buy another one again...
  • MrNice 27 Jan 2007 14:46:07 182 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dragul wrote:
    MrNice wrote:

I also have a megane... after you solve the problems under warranty (took me 2 years) the car is awesome! great engine, great equipment and IMHO very confortable... I would buy another one again...

I'm certainly not doubting the meganes ability. I considered a DCi model myself for work. And I also agree that all is well and good whilst still in warranty(but still inconvieniet and annoying) but what happens when the warranty expires?
  • Dragul 27 Jan 2007 14:54:13 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrNice wrote:
    Dragul wrote:
    MrNice wrote:

I'm certainly not doubting the meganes ability. I considered a DCi model myself for work. And I also agree that all is well and good whilst still in warranty(but still inconvieniet and annoying) but what happens when the warranty expires?

That also happend to me... because it was only 3 months after the end of warranty Renault paid half of the bill... nice guys really... :p

oh... and Renault HQ calleds us (from France to Portugal) home to ask about the problems the car had, it was a nice touch...
  • MrNice 27 Jan 2007 15:01:09 182 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Certainly is a nice touch them caling you Dragul, good customer service is sorely lacking these days....

DaisyD- Is there any particular reason your looking for such a new car? For the 8000 your planning to spend there are an awful lot of fantastic used buys around. Actually forget that, it's prob not what you want to hear after all the homework you've had to do. I take it you have test driven both of them? Thats obviously the best way to decide which one's for you, forum opinions aside.
  • cubbymoore 27 Jan 2007 15:03:58 36,485 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    The renault s also keyless and has lots of cubby holes for storage
    o_o
  • Dragul 27 Jan 2007 15:05:57 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrNice wrote:
    Certainly is a nice touch them caling you Dragul, good customer service is sorely lacking these days....

DaisyD- Is there any particular reason your looking for such a new car? For the 8000 your planning to spend there are an awful lot of fantastic used buys around. Actually forget that, it's prob not what you want to hear after all the homework you've had to do. I take it you have test driven both of them? Thats obviously the best way to decide which one's for you, forum opinions aside.

+1 for the test drive

If you can't be comfortable driving the car, forget it... the last thing you want is to get stuck with a car you're uncomfortable!

There are also other brands you should check out... Opel astra (has another name in the UK), volskwagen golf (this one is a bit more expensive), Ford Focus...
  • DaisyD 27 Jan 2007 15:06:34 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    My folks have got a 307 and I'm in big agreement on the levels of space. Also pretty comfortable. I don't think they had any issues with it, although my old 206 had several issues when it got over 5 years old.

If you're dead set on those two I reckon the 307's the better bet. Don't forget to get them to throw in the year's tax and a full tank of petrol too!
    I've asked for those and for a peugeot cuddly lion too! :D

Right - best go back and tell them that's the one I want.
  • Dragul 27 Jan 2007 15:07:05 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:
    The renault s also keyless and has lots of cubby holes for storage
    o_o

LOOOOOOOOL

cubby holes... hummm...

/if off to try out all the cubby holes...
  • DaisyD 27 Jan 2007 15:33:59 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was waiting for cubby to read that! :D

I'm looking for a new car as I've become an essential car user at work and need it to get around. I have a 1999 Saxo Westcoast, and , although it's been very reliable over the years, I fear it my not be for much longer! Plus I'm also driving to france this year and my folks were worried about the reliability of my saxo on route etc. I've chosen a bigger, 5 door car too as then I can take my Niece in her car seat places easily. I have test driven them both, plus the 207, the C3 sensodrive and 2 different types of clios. These 2 were my fav, but I just couldn't decided as they both had different plus points. If it came down to the salesman, Renault would win hands down, not question about it, but obviously it's not about personality.
  • Dragul 27 Jan 2007 15:46:11 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    I was waiting for cubby to read that! :D

I'm looking for a new car as I've become an essential car user at work and need it to get around. I have a 1999 Saxo Westcoast, and , although it's been very reliable over the years, I fear it my not be for much longer! Plus I'm also driving to france this year and my folks were worried about the reliability of my saxo on route etc. I've chosen a bigger, 5 door car too as then I can take my Niece in her car seat places easily. I have test driven them both, plus the 207, the C3 sensodrive and 2 different types of clios. These 2 were my fav, but I just couldn't decided as they both had different plus points. If it came down to the salesman, Renault would win hands down, not question about it, but obviously it's not about personality.

Avoid the C3 as if it was the devil himself... It's got very little space and the plastics suck arse at the best...

Edited by Dragul at 15:46:31 27-01-2007
  • Dragul 27 Jan 2007 16:15:24 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Out of the two, I'd personally go for the Pug. But if I had 8k to spend on a nearly new, I'd almost certainly get a Civic if I were in your position. Honda have never had an engine failure on a retail VTEC engine apparently :)

And the new civic is ace!!! here

• Phattso Moderator 27 Jan 2007 17:08:43 13,287 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Or much in the way of durable electrics.

I've had an Ibiza Sport from new. The aircon went, the main radio console went, the electric windows have packed up twice and the keyfob stopped working. Most happened in warranty but the keyfob was outside warranty. Only 30 for a replacement fob... and 150 to programme it O_o.

And aside from that, the clutch went after 18 months, the exhaust needed replacing after less than 3 years and the boot started rusting after 4 years.

I would personally never buy a Seat again as long as I live.

And by way of balance I've had a SEAT Leon 20VT Cupra for more than five years and never had so much as a hint of a problem.

For any motor we'd be able to roll out dozens of for/against experiences. Best bet is simply to test drive the ones you like, scrutinise the warranty, look at the prices (haggle! haggle! haggle!) and make your decision from there. :)
  • The-Button 27 Jan 2007 17:48:02 799 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    +1 on the Civic, or any Japanese made car really, the engines on those things will last you longer than most other manufacturers.

VW's have excellent engines too, so a Polo or Golf is well worth considering.

Vauxhall Corsa's and Astra's have been getting rave reviews recently so they may be worth considering.

Taking into consideration the type of car you're interested in and your budget, don't restrict yourself to the two models mentioned in the first post as imo there are better alternatives available.

But for me the most important thing is to lean more towards a reliable car you'll enjoy driving rather than towards a car that is someone else's recommendation and doesn't appeal to you as much.
  • DaM 18 Feb 2008 12:57:29 12,991 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bump (reuse a thread, save the planet!)

If I am going to look at a new car today, on the forecourt, unregistered, will the sales bastard be more willing to offload it more cheaply with a current plate on it (57?) rather than the new one. I think the new plates at the start of March.

I imagine they get a lot of "vanity" sales in March for this, end of Feb might be a bit slack?
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 12:58:50 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's usually the case, aye - good time to be shopping for car bargains.

• Davey 18 Feb 2008 17:45:24 594 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ford Focus

edit: Woops, didnt realise it was bumped from ages ago...
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous