Dragon Age - Bioware's Spiritual Successor to Baldurs Gate

• Page

of 217 First / Last

Previous
  • TwistidChimp 18 Jan 2007 12:13:32 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The other thread wasn't getting much love so I thought i'd start this one with a slightly more descriptive title. For anyone not in the know, in this months Edge is a very large preview / interview with Bioware about there new rpg called Dragon Age which they're developing for the PC. Its been in production for a very long time and I believe all the ex BG/BG2 people are working on it. Bioware are calling it the spiritual succesor to the Baldurs Gate saga, and it looks absolutley spiffing. Anyone else read it ?
  • Hunam 18 Jan 2007 12:18:33 20,674 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it the same team that did NWN1 though? If so...

:(
  • TwistidChimp 18 Jan 2007 12:26:28 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hunam wrote:

Its the BG / BG2 team primarily, aparently they went straight from that to this and have been working on it since then o_O
  • SirScratchalot 18 Jan 2007 12:28:12 7,874 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was starting to think vaporware but then again I guess the universe needed SOME reason for me to upgrade my PC again.
  • Load_2.0 18 Jan 2007 12:28:35 19,353 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sweet! BG is an awesome series.
  • Inigo 18 Jan 2007 12:29:18 154 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The KOTOR team (on of the best games ever!) has went on to make Mass Effect. It seems like 2007 is going to be a very good year for RPGs.
  • pauleyc 18 Jan 2007 12:30:13 4,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /scowls at new thread, c&p

The game sounds really impressive. I hope that Bioware won't go down Oblivion's path and deliver something that is not comparable to the hyped features.

Funny though, it seems that BioWare's original releases were more than once (well, twice actually, both times by Obsidian) surpassed by other developers' sequels: NWN 2 and KotOR 2.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Jan 2007 12:32:12 35,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have to say I am more interested in The Witcher at the moment, but then we simply know too little about DA. I'd love to finally hear a bit more about it.
  • Stickman 18 Jan 2007 12:32:42 29,666 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This game (once patched) will frankly be the awesomest thing ever known to man, ever.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Pike 18 Jan 2007 12:34:12 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I have to say I am more interested in The Witcher at the moment, but then we simply know too little about DA. I'd love to finally hear a bit more about it.

Well, you could read the 1UP article that Bertie linked to in his thread. It sounds exciting.

I except to find a retarded article on RPGCodex slagging everything about it and claiming that no RPG should be different from Fallout or Wizardry 8 shortly.
  • Hunam 18 Jan 2007 12:35:15 20,674 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Obsidian made both KOTOR2 and the excellent NWN2, shame that they never get the budget and time, as that is constraining the awesome talent that lies there (they are the team behind IWD2 and PST)

Still, anyone know what happened to the 3 principle people behind Troika after they split? (tim cain, leonard and the other guy who i cant remember, the fallout guys)
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Jan 2007 12:35:39 35,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I read that a month ago.

I need MORE. And screenshots.
  • tiddles 18 Jan 2007 12:35:52 3,555 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some of the screens in this month's Edge made it look a bit like Oblivion...

/runs
  • TwistidChimp 18 Jan 2007 12:36:23 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whitey McCool wrote:
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Hunam wrote:

Its the BG / BG2 team primarily, aparently they went straight from that to this and have been working on it since then o_O

Seriously? How big's the team?

Doesn't say, sounds like the original BG folks started it and quickly realised the technology wasn't there to do what they wanted, so they've been developing the tech for it since, writing the entire story, nailing the whole game down and prototyping etc. Its definatley worth reading, really does sound like a worthy succesor to BG2. Looks lovely too.
  • Hunam 18 Jan 2007 12:36:47 20,674 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Inigo wrote:
    The KOTOR team (on of the best games ever!) has went on to make Mass Effect. It seems like 2007 is going to be a very good year for RPGs.

But is that team also responsible for the decidedly average Jade Empire?

/cynic mode on
  • TwistidChimp 18 Jan 2007 12:37:49 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    /scowls at new thread, c&p

Sorry, (and sorry Bertie ;) no one had responded to it as of a month ago, thought mentioning that its a bioware game and its links to the BG series might get more interest and discussion :)

Edited by TwistidChimp at 12:41:16 18-01-2007
  • pauleyc 18 Jan 2007 12:38:24 4,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Still, anyone know what happened to the 3 principle people behind Troika after they split? (tim cain, leonard and the other guy who i cant remember, the fallout guys)

And now, the three have scattered in the wind. Boyarsky works in the industry, but wouldn't say where on record. Cain is also in the field, and told me (through Boyarsky): "I am staying in the industry but keeping a much lower profile than I did at Troika. Instead of talking about making games or trying to convince people to play (or publish) my games, I am doing what makes me very happy - making games." And Anderson is in Phoenix with his significant other, selling real estate, though he's "getting the itch to return" to games.
    (source)
  • Pike 18 Jan 2007 12:38:33 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Inigo wrote:

Jade Empire was great.
  • TwistidChimp 18 Jan 2007 12:39:12 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Inigo wrote:

/cynic mode on

Well whatever the internal make up of the various Bioware teams, this is being headed up by one of the main BG / BG2 designers. We'll see I guess but it looks promising.
  • siro 18 Jan 2007 12:53:35 1,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If this is anythign like BG2 I'm sold and will even stop crack for this... an even worse addiction. :) Oh, and Jade Empire was teh yawn.
  • Inigo 18 Jan 2007 13:23:16 154 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hunam wrote:

/cynic mode on

No that was a different team. Jade empire was a descent 8/10 game, as good as GoW!

The problem with The Witcher (and Gothic) is that it has a set main character. I prefer to make my own, unless i'm playing a JRPG.
  • TwistidChimp 18 Jan 2007 13:31:53 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inigo wrote:
    The problem with The Witcher (and Gothic) is that it has a set main character. I prefer to make my own, unless i'm playing a JRPG.

According to the Edge preview not only can you choose race, sex and everything else, your choice of back story affects the game too, say your a male dwarf, you can choose to be the son of the king or pick another vauge origin and not only will your starting area be different aparently you will start with a 2 hour story quest that starts you off, specific to that race and background, you'l also get different characters and quests coming in later on dependant on the choice. Sounds interesting for sure.
  • Pike 18 Jan 2007 13:54:44 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Inigo wrote:

According to the Edge preview not only can you choose race, sex and everything else, your choice of back story affects the game too, say your a male dwarf, you can choose to be the son of the king or pick another vauge origin and not only will your starting area be different aparently you will start with a 2 hour story quest that starts you off, specific to that race and background, you'l also get different characters and quests coming in later on dependant on the choice. Sounds interesting for sure.

In DG, yes. Not so much in The Witcher.
  • TwistidChimp 18 Jan 2007 13:56:06 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Inigo wrote:

In DG, yes. Not so much in The Witcher.

Yeah in DG, as you say Whicher and Gothic the character is set I believe.
  • kencleary 18 Jan 2007 16:39:16 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:

Why on earth are you interested in the Witcher. From everything I've seen it looks like a by the numbers RPG. And using the NWN 1 engine too - :(
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Jan 2007 16:42:29 35,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kencleary wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

Why on earth are you interested in the Witcher. From everything I've seen it looks like a by the numbers RPG. And using the NWN 1 engine too - :(

Couldn't disagree more, really. It's not D&D - big plus in my book. It's actually written by a proper author, not some beardy games developer. Combat looks terrific. Planescape: Torment is, concerning the freedom of character development and how you can handle situations, their point of reference. And NWN1 engine or not, the game looks stunning. Certainly a lot better than what we've seen of DA so far.

Edited by UncleLou at 16:43:13 18-01-2007
  • Perrythegreat 18 Jan 2007 16:55:15 11 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd actually consider upgrading my PC if this came out. BG I & II were the best games on the PC (apart from FM (nee CM) series)
  • matrim83 18 Jan 2007 16:56:33 5,587 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know Bioware are gods when the worst thing you can say about them is Jade Empire.

I am though starting to be a bit worried about the whole spiritual successor cliche (Bioshock and System shock) because on paper it sounds like a catch phrase to draw in the faithful of the original game. But despite all my cynicism I still am looking forward to this game more than any other. Well except Halo 3.

Has a time frame been mentioned (2008 or 2007)? IIRC I also remember reading somewhere that this is also a Vista - DX 10 title, is that true?

Valar morghulis.

• Xerx3s 18 Jan 2007 16:56:48 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Hunam wrote:

Great! They are both effin brilliant games imo. RPG genre milestone setting games even.
  • Page

of 217 First / Last

Previous