So...whats Exeter like then?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Venkman90 16 Jan 2007 11:15:47 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Might be moving there for work....

Ideally like to know what kind of variety there is to night life and food, I am from Manchester but have lived in Sydney and Melbourne so I like a laid back place with some decent friendly boozers and a nice selection of nightlife etc..

Plus shopping, property and some other related gubbins :)
  • pjmaybe 16 Jan 2007 11:18:32 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GOOD new years eve parties and stuff going on in the centre of town. Good eateries down by the redeveloped docklands bits.

But the place is a stinkhole. And my ex wife is from Exmouth, which is an open sewer.

Enjoy :)

Peej
  • kalel 16 Jan 2007 11:19:06 87,120 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love Exeter. Went to Uni there, great place. Nice local kinda vibe without being a village, and near the seaside. Bristol is not too far is you fancy a proper night out big city style. Good comic shop. Mmmmm, I miss it :'(
  • Whizzo 16 Jan 2007 11:20:11 43,094 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Exeter, yesterday.

Not too useful in making a decision I know...

This space left intentionally blank.

• deem 16 Jan 2007 11:24:49 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 16 Jan 2007 11:27:36 35,512 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I once waited there for a bus to take me to a house I rented in Cornwall for the holidays, for some reason, at 6 am, 15 years ago. The cathedral is nice.

/helpful

Edited by UncleLou at 11:28:43 16-01-2007
  • pjmaybe 16 Jan 2007 11:28:01 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    deem wrote:
    It's a little bit backward.

And that's coming from someone that grew up in the fens.

Watch the 'Everyday is like Sunday' video - it's the not by the sea equivalent of that.

Edited by deem at 11:27:24 16-01-2007

Exmouth IS the town in that video :)

Peej
  • StringBeanJean 5 Mar 2012 21:02:02 1,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hello folks, I don't post on here much anymore, but maybe somebody can help me as folks have ben helpful in the past. For reasons I won't go in to involving Mrs SBJ's parents being ill and such I have to move to Exeter NEXT MONTH!!

I have been many times so get the idea of what the place is like but was wondering if anyone on here lives there and what the employment situation is like. I'm getting older now so the fact it's quiet and a bit boring doesn't bother me, appeals in fact and the proximity to countryside is ideal. My main concern is being able to find a job as it is a small city and I don't want to commute to Bristol or anything. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence that this part of the world is any better economically than the rest of the UK? I'm in Canada at the moment so not sure how bad things have got.
  • Dirtbox 5 Mar 2012 21:19:30 77,746 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know too much about Exeter, but I would say that it's not going to be good at all as it's not particularly great anywhere here, least of all in a sleepy borough in the sticks. Depending on what you do, I'd look into doing it online and see if you can't make work for yourself from home.

However, if you know a thing or two about sheep then you're set.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:21:04 05-03-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 5 March 2012 21:32:15
    I'm from near that area originally, there's not much of interest and if you aren't willing to commute to one of the cities like Bristol then you're going to struggle for work.

There are plenty of places where you can get the countryside and still have access to jobs but you're either going to have to grow animals, be willing to commute (usually not that far) or be in an industry that is still highly in demand.

Depends what job you're looking for really.
  • Mr-Brett 5 Mar 2012 21:42:57 12,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The South West is pretty crap for jobs, it's mostly small businesses that are struggling to stay afloat.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 5 March 2012 21:45:06
    Aerospace is the only big thing there and that's fading away a little now.
  • StringBeanJean 5 Mar 2012 21:46:10 1,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I work in public sector/government/political type office-y type stuff, and have worked for a national charity and right now for a major university in junior to slightly less junior roles. I know there's little chance of work in any of them due to cuts but at least Exeter is the administrative centre of Devon and has a university, so you never know. Given the circumstances, we can't go as far as Bristol as Mrs SBJ has to be able to visit almost daily, and though I'm no stranger to a long commute in the past, Bristol is a bit of a stretch.

Been out of the UK for a year now, but picked up some experience working abroad. The only thing I can say is that i don't know ay of my mates who are unemployed. But then a lot of them live in London (as I did until a year ago) where things aren't too bad.
  • StringBeanJean 5 Mar 2012 21:48:21 1,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    The South West is pretty crap for jobs, it's mostly small businesses that are struggling to stay afloat.
    Yet the official statistics for the last quarter show that the South West has the lowest unemployment of all of the UK at around 6.1%. That's based on JSA claimants though and I know they can be misleading. Sorry I don't have time to search for the link but it's true I tell ye.
  • Mr-Brett 5 Mar 2012 21:51:35 12,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You might be alright then, the Uni is doing well out of foreign students (or so I hear). I wouldn't put much hope into public sector, I assume you've heard about the massive job cuts, pay freezes that's happened there?

• Deleted user 5 March 2012 21:56:07
    I haven't looked at the stats but does that number show the total number of people as well as the percentage? The percentage could be high because of unemployed moving to other areas for work in their field.
  • StringBeanJean 5 Mar 2012 21:56:55 1,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lord yes, that's why I'm so worried. I've never had problems getting jobs before but that was before the massive cuts in the public sector started to bite. I don't really have much in the way of transferrable skills into the private realm. The university is flying high in the league tables, so that's a good option as applicants should be higher. And junior positions often pop up in local government and such, shame the money is piss poor. Must try and stay positive! I guess also the tourism season is due to start so maybe some short term stuff will be available in that sector. I've always wanted to be an ice cream man.
  • Mr-Brett 5 Mar 2012 21:59:01 12,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StringBeanJean wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Yet the official statistics for the last quarter show that the South West has the lowest unemployment of all of the UK at around 6.1%. That's based on JSA claimants though and I know they can be misleading. Sorry I don't have time to search for the link but it's true I tell ye.
    Yeah I think it was unemployment was down but jobseekers claims were up, oddly.

• StringBeanJean 5 Mar 2012 22:03:17 1,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I haven't looked at the stats but does that number show the total number of people as well as the percentage? The percentage could be high because of unemployed moving to other areas for work in their field.
    This is the summary (regional)

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN02798

The detailed one is here with a breakdown by constituency including figures for claimants:

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP12-10

Like you say, the stats can never tell the whole story.
  • StringBeanJean 5 Mar 2012 22:06:24 1,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, I realise all this should be in the 'countdown to unemployment' thread!
  • Mr-Brett 5 Mar 2012 22:18:47 12,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chin up old Bean, hope for the best, expect the worst etc :)

• Kostabi 5 Mar 2012 22:18:53 4,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sadly, the only thing I know about Exeter is that the Chiefs have an awesome hog roast on match day.
  • muttler 5 Mar 2012 23:16:08 3,991 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've lived in Exeter for 15 years now.  It's a hole tbh.  The Uni is very nice (and the Northcott Theatre, which has just had improvements done), and the comic shop is sort of still there (different name now I think). 

Jobs are really tight.  If people lose their jobs these days they tend to stay unemployed for a while.  Loads of applicants for every job etc.  However the type of work you said you're after there is a lot of here.  The MET office has a major centre here, the other big employers with office/admin type work (and big hqs here) are Norwich Union, EDF, South West Water, DEFRA, Exeter and Devon council offices, and of course the RD&E hospital.  There's quite a few other medium size employers who are often looking for admin/customer service as well.
  • StringBeanJean 5 Mar 2012 23:27:04 1,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'm pretty flexible with what i do for a living, so I'm hoping that something will come up before too long, probably at one of he big public employers muttler mentioned. Though I am resigned to doing something boring for a bit.

Muttler - I'd hardly call Exeter 'a hole' though?? I mean it's a bit dull but it's generally considered one of England's more pleasant cities. I like university towns as well. Which area of Exeter would you suggest that me and the wife live in? I don't want to spend more than 600 a month on a one bed flat. Must be near amenities or at least a bus stop.

Edited by StringBeanJean at 23:32:15 05-03-2012
  • Mr-Brett 6 Mar 2012 00:05:02 12,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't call it that either, if you want to see a hole then drive down to Plymouth, now that's a crap hole.

• muttler 6 Mar 2012 00:20:52 3,991 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is a hole, dude.  It's ok if you're at the Uni, a different world even, but this town is naff.  It was recently voted the blandest high street in england. There are no decent or late opening clubs so there is no night life.  If you're abit older though, there are some nice places to go out to eat- celebrity chef Michael Caine has his restaurant here.  If the countryside is your thing then there are lots of satellite villages out in the sticks, also seaside towns and of course Dartmoor for a major getaway. 

You won't have any trouble at all getting a one bedroom flat for 600 a month.  Pennsylvania is supposedly the posh bit of town, but its up a massive hill with nothing but houses up there at all, so I wouldn't actually recommend it.  The Quayside is very nice, but pricey.  The lower bit of Pennsylvania (the Uni area) is very nice though, and handy for the town.  Other than that though the rest of Exeter is pretty much the same really, although I've always liked Mount Pleasant, Stoke Hill, St. Davids, St. Leonards and Newtown area.  The only areas I would say be careful and selective in are Whipton, Beacon Heath and St. Thomas, although there are some nice bits of these.

Edited by muttler at 00:30:56 06-03-2012
  • Metalfish 6 Mar 2012 00:28:17 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Girlfriend absolutely hated it when she attempted uni there. Everything about it.
  • StringBeanJean 6 Mar 2012 02:48:46 1,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks again folks. Not getting a great reception! That said, I have no interest in nightclubs or shopping, so no bother there. I'm interested in the outdoors, and I like the fact it has some good pubs and restaurants as well as an artsy cinema. I do recognise that it could feel a bit small and boring though. I lived in London when I was in the UK last so will be a bit of a change. I'm in Vancouver now which is also pretty happening.

Muttler - thanks for the info on the areas, good to hear some honest advice. I don't want to live up a hill! Hope to spend 500-600 pcm for a one bed so glad that's attainable.
  • RedSparrows 6 Mar 2012 09:10:18 22,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's near Dartmoor, and therefore it's alright. Great veggie restaurant near the Harelequin (most boring shopping centre ever) too.
  • Mr-Brett 6 Mar 2012 09:15:43 12,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think anyone that says Exeter is a hole needs to go and spend some time in Middlesbrough.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous