PS3 FAQ - Ask all questions in here! Page 114

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• dominalien 23 Feb 2013 14:16:13 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    They all have mixed reviews which don't hold much value because they're for the Wii too, they all limit the resolution. they all need another screen to set up.

They're only a few quid to be fair so I could just risk it, and try one out.

Was kind of hoping for a definitive solution.
    I sometimes use my PS3 with an Infocus X1 projector which only has a VGA input and I use a PS3 component (RGB) cable and a home-made component-to-VGA cable. It works well in 720p but yes, the tricky part is setting it up for the first time. The projector will not accept 576i through VGA, so some faffing about is required. The thing to do is reset the display settings on the PS3 with the power button, disconnect the green lead and connect it to the composite input on the projector. A fuzzy image appears which allows me to select component output on the PS3, and check 720p as the supported resolution, after which the PS3 tests the setting for 30 seconds, during which I have to disconnect the green lead, connect it again to the component-VGA cable, switch the projector to the VGA input, wait for it to acquire the signal and confirm that yes, I can see the image. This has to be done only once, so it's not as big a hassle as it sounds.

PSN: DonOsito

• Syrette 2 Mar 2013 01:55:28 41,801 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, thanks for the info. To be honest I need a new monitor (for work purposes) now really anyway...

5 uestions if any of you have the time:

- Should I really be worried about the noise that super slim can make? Bear in mind I've had a 360 for 5 years.

- And does anywhere still stock the original slim console (better looking if you ask me)?

- Is my best (value for money) option to get a 12GB console and a cheap SATA drive? Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorpio-Mobile-Internal-Playstation-Compatible/dp/B0037NYQ7K/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk (189 for the console and a HDD).

Edited by Syrette at 11:37:26 07-04-2013

• Trafford 2 Mar 2013 07:52:49 5,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Syrette
    I paid 120 on amazon for a 12GB super slim.
    The price was fluctuating around Xmas. I reckon it might be a year before it goes below that properly. Keep watching for sales.

On a side note, I'm finding the 12 gigs of flash memory quite restrictive. Do I really need a mount for extra memory? I've a 1 TB external HD I rarely use on my TV (overkill for the PS3) and a 32gb USB stick I use use on my DAB, but would wipe to download Okami.?
  • dominalien 2 Mar 2013 07:52:53 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Hmm, thanks for the info. To be honest I need a new monitor (for work purposes) now really anyway...
    I'd recommend this one if it weren't so stupidly expensive (amazon.com are selling it for $250 ffs) and if the failure rate weren't apparently so big. I have it, using it as a work/PS3 monitor and it's lovely.

- Should I really be worried about the noise that super slim can make? Bear in mind I've had a 360 for 5 years.
    No.

- Is my best (value for money) option to get a 12GB console and a cheap SATA drive? Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorpio-Mobile-Internal-Playstation-Compatible/dp/B0037NYQ7K/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk (189 for the console and a HDD).
    Possibly. Even better if you have a drive lying around that you can use. This what the 12GB is aimed at anyway, IMO. Plus the ultra-casuals, obv.

• dominalien 2 Mar 2013 07:57:45 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    On a side note, I'm finding the 12 gigs of flash memory quite restrictive. Do I really need a mount for extra memory? I've a 1 TB external HD I rarely use on my TV (overkill for the PS3) and a 32gb USB stick I use use on my DAB, but would wipe to download Okami.?
    You can't use USB drives/sticks as HDDs for the PS3. Unless you take the drive out of the enclosure and stick it in the console.

1TB of space is not overkill if you have PS+. If by "mount" you mean the HDD bracket, then you don't absolutely need it, but the drive will rattle inside the PS3, possibly damaging the SATA connector and it'll be harder to install and remove. Your call.

• Trafford 2 Mar 2013 08:09:33 5,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @dominalien
    Cheers, I have a few choice recordings on the drives mentioned, so didn't want to experiment

I'm going Steambox or whatever at the years end, so I am too casual for PS+.
    Think I'll wait until I've finished Ni No Kuni and MGR before I get Okami.

Edited by Trafford at 08:27:51 02-03-2013
  • Syrette 13 Mar 2013 15:47:43 41,801 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just won a 250GB Slim (not Super Slim) on eBay for 105. Good deal, right?

Is there a cable out device out there, if I ever decide to upgrade the HDD, that allows me to transfer data between two drives without having a second PS3?

• dominalien 13 Mar 2013 15:53:25 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, you can either make a backup to an external USB drive (takes forever, so delete anything you can d/l back), replace the drive and restore the backup on the same PS3, or transfer data between two PS3's.

Both methods will transfer everything, including locked saves, with the exception of perhaps Singstar songs or Rock Band tracks and stuff like that.

• Syrette 13 Mar 2013 19:54:29 41,801 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Noted.

Thanks!

• Craven 17 Mar 2013 16:28:48 388 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've since discovered it takes ages to restore data from a backup. I've had my ps3 trying to restore to a new hdd and i swear its been stuck on 67% for what seems like ages now. If i wasn't on such a poor internet connection i'd be redownloading a lot of the content instead. Oh well, looks like my vita is getting a long overdue pay this evening.
  • Syrette 19 Mar 2013 22:00:41 41,801 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's the consensus on triggers? Worth it or should I just stick with the vanilla pad?

• dominalien 19 Mar 2013 22:06:53 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are shit, but you shouldn't need the add ons unless you're a drama queen. :-)

• Syrette 3 Apr 2013 21:51:22 41,801 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decided I do want triggers to go over L2/R2.

Are these the ones you lot have gone with primarily/

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5675248/Gioteck-Real-Triggers-For-PS3/Product.html

• Andee 3 Apr 2013 23:16:39 672 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are the original and preferred brand I believe.

I have them myself on one of my pads, but tbh I generally find the triggers to be kinda pointless. The pad is fine as is really, perhaps the the triggers make it a little easier to apply pressure for an extented period of time, but equally as a result it can be more difficult to make slight adjustments.

Can depend on the game to an extent how useful they are, but they are cheap enough so I guess worth a try if you like the idea of them.

Edited by Andee at 23:17:23 03-04-2013
  • Flying_Pig 3 Apr 2013 23:19:43 10,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Decided I do want triggers to go over L2/R2.

Are these the ones you lot have gone with primarily/

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5675248/Gioteck-Real-Triggers-For-PS3/Product.html
    Yeah - I've got 'em. Pretty good, although they are probe to cracking and falling off, but for 2 quid....
  • Syrette 3 Apr 2013 23:19:46 41,801 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The pad is fine for almost everything, it's just racing games that it bothers me in.

• Andee 3 Apr 2013 23:37:36 672 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For arcade style racing games they are rather useful, indeed I recall one of the Motorstorm games was where I used them most, as the standard R2 shape makes it difficult to hold full throttle for lap after lap.

On GT5 however I didn't find they worked well at all. They somewhat dull the feel of the trigger slightly, making accurate throttle control more difficult, so I just stuck to the dual stick setup for that anyway.

But yeah, Gioteck ones are what you'd want I think. I've also found they can fall off at times if I drop the pad, but never had any other issues with them, cant really complain at the price though.
  • dominalien 6 Apr 2013 23:34:39 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hm, since when does the PS3 do 1080p over component? It used to only do up to 1080i when I last checked (back in 2007, probably).

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised after the HDMI stopped working (port or cable, still to diagnose it fullly). I wonder what blu-rays are going to be like; probably awful.

• Aretak 6 Apr 2013 23:45:24 10,329 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm pretty sure the PS3 has always done 1080p via component. Most TVs back then didn't accept 1080p signals via component though, so maybe that was the issue if you're using a different TV now?
  • Deleted user 6 April 2013 23:46:40
    Probably a blank screen given HDCP doesn't work over component.
  • dominalien 7 Apr 2013 07:54:15 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, so the "no 1080p over component" was definitely a limitation of my display at the time.

As for blu-rays, the console switches to 1080i or 720p if the former is disabled and outputs something that looks very much like HD quality. This may have changed since back when, as I'd heard talk of blu-rays being downscaled to sub-DVD resolutions in non-HDCP environments. I never bothered to check this myself, though, so I can't really tell if that's new or not.

Good news for me, then, until I manage to dig out some more HDMI cables to do more tests. I'd really hate to have to replace the console, especially due to a silly fault like that.

• dominalien 7 Apr 2013 08:00:19 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aah, so it looks like it's the other way around: HD over component used to be a feature that was subsequently removed in newer models: source.

So, if there's one PS3 that can have a faulty HDMI port and still retain some semblance of picture quality, it's the launch one I have.

• dominalien 7 Apr 2013 10:43:57 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was definitely the cable. Whew.

• Syrette 7 Apr 2013 11:36:44 41,801 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got these triggers in the end.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORB-Controller-Triggers-X-2/dp/B000N3RBPQ

Better reviewed than the Gioteck ones (higher quality). Definitely made a good difference and for a couple of quid it wasn't a risk either way.

• Trent_Steel 14 Apr 2013 16:13:56 124 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Evening all

The Bluray drive on my Slim model (bought 2010) seems to have died all of a sudden.

Now when I insert a BR disc it fails to read, makes a few clicky noises and a sound like it's going to eject the disc, but doesn't actually eject it.

Is it worth buying a lens cleaning kit or 2 to see what happens? My gut feeling is it sounds like a mechanical issue and that if it was only a case of a dirty lens, there would be gradual disc read errors, rather than it packing in all of a sudden.

It still plays PSN games and DVDs fine, so not sure if worth replacing the machine with PS4 round the corner.
  • imamazed 15 Apr 2013 14:01:41 5,450 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two things:

Are these worth considering? I have a low-to-mid range 2.1 system set up with my ps3, which sounds pretty good, but I can't often utilise it to its fullest due to sharing a house with others. Anyone used these? Seems like a good option; only drawback I can see is that I can't use it with my iPod as well.

Secondly, can any reccomend me a really cheap controller that's actually OK? Need one for (very) occasional split screen fun, but being that'll it'll get very little use I don't wanna shell out for an official pad.

Edited by imamazed at 14:02:06 15-04-2013
  • Trafford 17 Apr 2013 14:15:12 5,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is a 6gig game download going to need 12gb of space?
  • Oh-Bollox 17 Apr 2013 14:18:01 5,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Is a 6gig game download going to need 12gb of space?
    No. I've been near my HDD's full capacity for a while now, and am constantly getting rid of data or old games for new. It does need a bit more wiggle room to install itself, but not double the amount.
  • Trafford 17 Apr 2013 14:47:10 5,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks, I have a 12gb super slim, just removed everything bar my Demon's Souls and Tokyo Jungle save, leaving 8927MB free. Okami is 6342mb but still not enough space.
    What a bag of shite, I got a PS+ code from the charity thread to play this game, was looking forward to it. Oh well.
  • BinaryBob101 17 Apr 2013 17:05:00 21,966 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, it will need double the space, once you download, you need to install too.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 17:05:42 17-04-2013

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Page

of 120 First / Last