dominalien wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting a new PS3 for the office
    I think I hate you :(
    Why? Should I be getting a 360? :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 18 Jan 2013 14:55:53 6,741 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hm, guess I'll have to find out on my own, then.

• dominalien 19 Jan 2013 00:17:19 6,741 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got the super slim. I like it. It's not super quiet, but it'll do. Looks like wifi is finally properly functional on it, too. Been updating GT5 and it seems to be using the full 10mbps of my connection. My 60GB fat never even managed to upload an 8MB Dark Souls save to cloud storage...

Edit:. it's really a shame PSN is down tonight; I was looking forward to dling and completing PoPSoT in 3D.

Edited by dominalien at 00:24:58 19-01-2013

• DUFFMAN5 22 Jan 2013 19:43:53 13,797 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Christ the ps3 is noisy when reading certain games. I'm trying to enjoy MW3 on it, but it is beyond a joke. It is so loud, all of the time, well unless I pause the game. I have even checked youtube and a few forums to confirm it runs so loud, (it does) and that my ps3 is not fucked.
    I have owned several ps3's form original to latest white slim version, each and every time I buy another ps3 the noise catches me out.
    Can you guys recommend a good set of headphones/headset for the console. I use wireless TB 41's on the 360, so I can chat and still have lovely sound ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• imamazed 28 Jan 2013 15:40:25 5,450 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right, don't know where else to put this.

Basically, I want to get a ps3. Mainly interested in playing through the uncharted games and heavy rain, as any multiplaform games I think I'll be sticking with 360 for. Is the following link a good deal and/or representative of the most value I'll be able to get? I'm thinking about PS+ as well so I suppose the smaller hard drive version is a no no.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/playstation-3-500gb-slim-with-infamous-2-essentials-killzone-2-essentials-heavy-rain-essentials-and-fifa-13-206996?categoryIdentifier=10468
  • Zomoniac 28 Jan 2013 15:46:46 7,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Probably not. Zavvi have this deal for a 500GB with any three games from a list (of which Heavy Rain and Uncharted 1 are included) for 230. Depends if you want FIFA or not I suppose.
  • imamazed 28 Jan 2013 15:50:04 5,450 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Zomoniac Oh Nice one, cheers. I'm not really bothered about FIFA, so that looks good to me. Is Zaavi reputable/dependable though? People on here tend to praise it, but I remember seeing lots of online reviews complaining of lost/damaged discs, no refunds and suchlike.
  • Zomoniac 28 Jan 2013 15:53:58 7,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @imamazed They can take forever, I wouldn't ever preorder something with them. But I'd be surprised if they didn't use couriers for consoles. My only gripe with them is the delivery time.
  • imamazed 28 Jan 2013 16:51:58 5,450 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks, zom.

Just ordered actually with Uncharted, Heavy Rain and Motorstorm 2. It's already saying the games won't be dispatched for over a week which is a tad annoying, but it's a good price and I've got quite a backlog on 360 in the meantime anyway.

I think I can afford it, but I'm not used to spending such large amounts of money!
  • Telepathic.Geometry 1 Feb 2013 00:20:47 11,114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a really shitty problem here. If someone can help me out I will be eternally grateful...

Anyway, my PSN account name is Barrysama, but when I sign in, my PS3 uses an old gmail e-mail address and a password that I cannot for the life of me remember. I can't get access to that gmail account or even the account from whence it was spawned. Is it possible to change that login address? Or to change the password in the PS3 without knowing what it is?

/bows to the EG collective

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Telepathic.Geometry 1 Feb 2013 00:41:00 11,114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, I just looked here and it seems to suggest that I can change the password, which is great, as long as it doesn't actually require me to re-type the existing password, which I have completely forgotten. My PS3 knows it as it logs in automatically every day. Please sunny Jesus let that be enough...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• X201 1 Feb 2013 06:23:09 14,692 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The other option is the nice people at PlayStation support.
    Although you will probably sound like a filthy crimal with a nicked PS3 :-)
  • Zizoo 13 Feb 2013 07:37:50 7,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a curious issue...

I can download any file of any size to my Xbox 360, but with my PS3 and Vita (used to just be the Vita), if they file is too large (bigger than a patch basically) it is corrupted. It used to be just my Vita that had this problem, and I assumed it was something technical that I couldn't fix myself.

Looking into it, I am 99% sure that my net is "dropping packets" (I think this is the correct term) which the Xbox 360 can handle for some reason. When I test my PS3 or Vita's connection it says "your router may not support ip fragments" once the test completes.

According to my research this is a MTU issue. I am working with a wireless dongle with an MTU of 1392 - which is the correct setting and does give the best performance. There is no router in the equation - I am using internet sharing. I have tried all sorts of MTU values on the actual PS3, but I keep getting the message.

This is especially frustrating as my PS3 didn't have this problem a week ago.

I could live with it I suppose. Speed is good, NAT is open and playing online works. Pretty much all I can't do at the moment is download games on the Sony devices.

EDIT: Just so I know I am on the right track, when changing the MTU via cmd using "netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces" to see the connections e.g. iBurst (my net connection): 1392, Local Area Connection: 1500, Wireless Network connection: 1500 etc, am I supposed to change Local Area Connection's (which is the ethernet connection I use for my consoles) MTU or does that not make a difference, and I am meant to change it on the PS3 itself?

Edited by ZizouFC at 07:49:54 13-02-2013
  • Deleted user 13 February 2013 11:35:20
    @ZizouFC

The bridged connections(Wireless LAN, LAN, dongle) should all set the MTU to the same value(even though the os should match them) and the devices(ps3) should use an automatic MTU(or match like the network connections).

I think the problem has gone the other way. The 1392 isn't big enough in all(internal PSN) scenarios for PSN large file sizes. I'd try setting your dongle as high a value as you can (1462? and match on the network interface connections) while it will still working reliably for normal internet.

If you know where the Cell phone mast you are connecting to is relative to your house, try place the laptop with the dongle as high and close to a window facing out towards the mast to reduce risk of transmission errors. A 4G dongle upgrade would also likely help by virtue of MTU sizes typically growing with increased bandwidth.

Might also be worth doing some extensive checks on the HDD in your laptop to ensure the packet corruption isn't a red herring. A laptop HDD with limited disk space or in bad shape might also result in sporadic problems because of the pagefile system. The laptops event view might shed some light on if the host laptop has underlying OS problems.
  • Zizoo 13 Feb 2013 11:58:13 7,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @vizzini

Thanks. I was wary of changing my connection's MTU, but I suppose I could always put it back the way it was. Although I was under the impression that the lower the MTU is, the more reliable it is?
  • Deleted user 13 February 2013 12:20:31
    Yeah lower MTU equals more reliable in typical scenarios, but depending on how PSN's servers communicate it might be that a packet gets fragmented by the smaller MTU value causing the packets CRC checks to sporadically fail internally within their network, or within any one of your laptop bridged connections causing the corruption.

As you rightfully said, it is a peculiar problem.
  • Zizoo 13 Feb 2013 12:30:55 7,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What negative effects would setting the MTU to 1470 have if the recommended MTU is 1392?
  • Deleted user 13 February 2013 14:47:55
    You might have slightly more dropped packets, requiring more packets to be resent. Bandwidth takes a hit by the error %, and latency per packet is increased by a factor of two for every resent packet.

But assuming you have relatively clear line of sight to the Cell phone mast/s with little cellular interference(eg many cell phones being used in same cell grid location) it probably won't have much(if any) negative impact. It is possible the iburst provider won't allow certain higher MTU values, but you'll only find that out from trying it.

The wireless WAN technology you are using isn't completely suitable for masquerading as wired WAN technology(that consoles expect), so to make it appear more like wired technology, you really want the MTU to go as high as it can while providing low errors rates. Errors might have less negative impact on your networking than too much fragmentation caused by too low a MTU value.
  • Syrette 17 Feb 2013 13:25:43 41,792 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is there a good solution to connecting PS3s to VGA monitors yet?

Last time I looked there wasn't. I want the console but I don't really fancy buying a whole new monitor as well.

• Cappy 17 Feb 2013 16:35:26 11,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There seem to be no shortage of PS3 to VGA/DVI cables on Amazon. Will those work?
  • Syrette 17 Feb 2013 16:40:59 41,792 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They all have mixed reviews which don't hold much value because they're for the Wii too, they all limit the resolution. they all need another screen to set up.

They're only a few quid to be fair so I could just risk it, and try one out.

Was kind of hoping for a definitive solution.

Edited by Syrette at 16:41:15 17-02-2013

• Zizoo 22 Feb 2013 08:35:02 7,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Should I be using a static or dynamic IP address for my PS3 (and Xbox 360)?

Both seem to work fine, but I assume there are advantages to each one. Is one more stable?

I'm not using a router.

Edited by ZizouFC at 08:36:18 22-02-2013
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Feb 2013 09:12:12 36,266 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Should I be using a static or dynamic IP address for my PS3 (and Xbox 360)?

Both seem to work fine, but I assume there are advantages to each one. Is one more stable?

I'm not using a router.
    I use static IPs just so I can manually open necessary ports, which helps with NAT issues.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Zizoo 22 Feb 2013 09:16:26 7,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh. I have opened ports in my firewall, but I guess it was for nothing if I'm using a dynamic ip. I reckon I'll switch to static even though my NAT is open anyway. Cheers.
  • Altmayer 23 Feb 2013 11:06:52 153 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times before but I just want to be reassured.
    I've got an old 80gb ps3, think it's on it's last legs. Want to upgrade to the new 500gb super slim.
    For transferring the data on the hard drive, do I need the 2 of them connected by ethernet both to the same tv and use the 'transfer data utility' thingy?
  • heyyo 23 Feb 2013 11:22:42 14,374 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    They all have mixed reviews which don't hold much value because they're for the Wii too, they all limit the resolution. they all need another screen to set up.

They're only a few quid to be fair so I could just risk it, and try one out.

Was kind of hoping for a definitive solution.
    Did it work?
  • Aretak 23 Feb 2013 11:37:27 10,329 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Altmayer wrote:
    For transferring the data on the hard drive, do I need the 2 of them connected by ethernet both to the same tv and use the 'transfer data utility' thingy?
    You can also just back it up to an external hard drive if that's easier, then restore it onto the new PS3. Though I believe you lose any copy-protected saves doing it that way. If you have PS+ you could simply upload them to the cloud beforehand and then download them again on the new system as a way around that.
  • Altmayer 23 Feb 2013 11:43:31 153 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Altmayer wrote:
    You can also just back it up to an external hard drive if that's easier, then restore it onto the new PS3. Though I believe you lose any copy-protected saves doing it that way. If you have PS+ you could simply upload them to the cloud beforehand and then download them again on the new system as a way around that.
    Forgot I had that option, cheers.
  • X201 23 Feb 2013 13:58:28 14,692 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Altmayer wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    Altmayer wrote:
    Forgot I had that option, cheers.
    I have a nagging thought in the back of my mind that someone on here said that the system restore doesn't do as much as the System Transfer option, There was a difference but can't recall what it was.
  • Page

of 120 First / Last