PS3 FAQ - Ask all questions in here! Page 112

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• DaM 14 Apr 2012 11:02:12 13,326 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OnlyMe wrote:
    Connect it to your PC, and it'll charge as well.
    Oh never thought of that, ta!

Now, where has the missus hidden every single useful cable (she keeps all the useless ones in an easy to find box).
  • Short-Round 25 Nov 2012 18:23:01 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bit late to the PS3 party, and have a couple of noob questions.

Why is the thing so slow with the online stuff? It's wired, as is my 360, but downloading some demos is taking bloody ages. Is this a feature of PSN?

Why do I have to install demos? Am I missing an option - on 360 you just play demos once they're down.

I understand games are region free. I wanted to pick up the Ratchet & Clank trilogy, but I can't seem to find many places selling it, and ebay listings mention it's ntsc. Did this not get a pal release (does it matter)?

Can the PS3 do what the 360 does, whereby if I'm downloading stuff, I can still switch it off and it'll go into a kind of standby mode, before switching itself off after downloads complete?

My impression from reading the face off's and people moaning on the forum is that all multi platform games are worse on the PS3. Is this a fair assessment?

Can anyone recommend a good streaming program to stream stuff from my laptop? The PS3 automatically detects Vuze when running on the lappy, but Vuze is a java piece of crap.

Any recommended places to get cheap PSN credit and a PS+ sub?

Cheers.
  • X201 25 Nov 2012 19:03:30 15,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    Bit late to the PS3 party, and have a couple of noob questions.

Why do I have to install demos? Am I missing an option - on 360 you just play demos once they're down.
    360 is the same, it just does the install for you.

Can the PS3 do what the 360 does, whereby if I'm downloading stuff, I can still switch it off and it'll go into a kind of standby mode, before switching itself off after downloads complete?

Dunno. I use PSN+ now and it sorts it out for me.

My impression from reading the face off's and people moaning on the forum is that all multi platform games are worse on the PS3. Is this a fair assessment?

Buy the Xbox exclusives for Xbox, buy the PS3 exclusives for PS3. Buy multiplatform for whatever console you want.

I really didn't miss the fact that Red Dead Redemption on Xbox has better grass than the PS3 version.

Any recommended places to get cheap PSN credit and a PS+ sub?
    The PSN Store does offers on PSN subs from time to time. - free months or discounts.
  • FuzzyDuck 25 Nov 2012 19:37:56 4,328 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Short-Round

I understand games are region free. I wanted to pick up the Ratchet & Clank trilogy, but I can't seem to find many places selling it, and ebay listings mention it's ntsc. Did this not get a pal release (does it matter)?
    The Ratchet and Clank Trilogy had the rare honour of launching in the EU about 4 months earlier than elsewhere (landed here in June, start of October for other territories). Those collections do seem to becomre hard to come by at retail after a while.

Yup, if you go to shut down the system while there's a download in progress, it'll ask you if you want to turn off once it completes. Just check the box and away you go (it'll install before it shuts down too, if i recall correctly).

This is true in the sense that the 360 has far more face-off 'wins', but if you ignore the fanboys, the truth is that the 360's graphical advantage on the majority of these games is marginal at best, and you'd really need to have them running side by side to tell. From a personal standpoint, I've happily traded the small drop in graphical fidelity for the improved sound of PS3 titles. A cursory glance at the two titles I'm playing at the minute (LA Noire and Saints Row The Third) actually tells that these run a bit better on PS3.

Hope that helps a bit :D
  • pinebear 25 Nov 2012 20:12:27 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Download speeds have been absolutely horrific this week, worse than 3G even, but for me that's been just as true for XBL as for PSN.

• hypernova 25 Nov 2012 20:27:25 1,967 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 3 Dec 2012 17:54:17 2,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just got my ps3 home and updated, but it says the network is undergoing maintenance whenever I try to go to the store or sign up. The playstation website says its up and running.
    Is it o.k for everyone else right now?

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• -RH- 3 Dec 2012 18:20:53 6 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar It's under maintenance until 1am tonight I think!
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 3 Dec 2012 18:56:26 2,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @-RH- You're joking? Ffs. Bloody wish i'd got a game to play as well now. Got a few in the post on their way but was hoping to peruse the store and get some ps plus games downloaded.
    Doesn't help that I put my pc in a new case today and the 4pin to 8pin mobo adapter melted due to wearing out. So no pc till a new one turns up and no new ps3 to fiddle with...

Edited by Daddy-Doom-Bar at 18:59:51 03-12-2012

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 5 Dec 2012 13:51:44 2,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm having problems with my ps3! Already!!!!
    Is it normal for the screen to go black but the ps3 stays on whilst doing a system recovery?
    The recovery sits at 1% for about a minute then the screen goes black. It does say it could take 2 to 3 hours, but nothing about the screen going off.

• Short-Round 5 Dec 2012 14:10:36 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're not having much luck mate :/

Was the hd you bought new or 2nd hand (is there a chance that's what's fucked things up)?
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 5 Dec 2012 14:13:13 2,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It was brand new. It did the restore, then reset. When the screen came back on, it just says the same thing - the system is corrupt and needs to be restored. I o.k it and then it does exactly the same thing. 1%, then black screen for about 15 mins.

• Short-Round 28 Dec 2012 18:18:34 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why does my UK PS3 not have a pound symbol in the on-screen keyboard, but does have a dollar symbol?
  • HiddenAway 28 Dec 2012 18:30:45 14,918 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try going to Settings > System Settings > System Language. If that's set to English US, try English UK.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Short-Round 28 Dec 2012 18:39:13 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep I'm already set to English UK. I keep having to type quid because of no pound symbol. Guessing it's an oversight by Sony.
  • MatMan562 28 Dec 2012 18:42:43 2,509 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I found this out completely by mistake but if you press 'L2' to get the screen with all the accented characters up and then go to the section with the extra characters there are a load more including a pound sign. Don't know why it's like that but it works.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• oldschoolsoviet 28 Dec 2012 18:46:44 5,500 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It used to be there, back in the day, disappeared during a FW at some point. Now you can only get it by changing the keyboard to the lil' keypad entry, and it appears in the symbols - £

Alternatively, add an entry to the predictive text library in Settings - $£. Then delete the dollar symbol.
  • Short-Round 28 Dec 2012 19:02:02 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks, tried MatMan562 suggestion, and it's right at the bottom of the extra characters box. £
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 20:48:44
    Looking to use my Xbox controller on a PS3 has anyone ever used or have one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Adapter-Xbox360-PS3-PS2/dp/B0089OBLDO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1356814012&sr=8-4

And if so, what are your impressions of the adaptor?
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jan 2013 15:12:34 14,959 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At GAME (online)

PlayStation 3 500GB
    Batman Arkham City,
    The Dark Knight Rises BR,
    GT 5 Academy,
    Uncharted 3,
    FIFA 13
    PLA Headset

£290, seems a very good deal, anyone know of any better. I want a slim really (for dad) not a super slim, due to people on here saying the build quailty is poor and sound proofing poor...is it really ?

Harder to get a slim, I would look to be paying £200-£230 for a 320gb standalone.

...I will put in the ps3 thread as well :)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 15:13:00 01-01-2013

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Short-Round 1 Jan 2013 16:08:34 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 The best place I find for that kind of thing (hardware that might have disappeared) is instore at a branch of Blockbuster. The slim might not be listed on their website, but you'll likely find it in a branch. Mine still has 320GB's, for around £220 I think.
  • Short-Round 1 Jan 2013 18:01:29 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two questions. How come I can't access Hotmail via the PS3? It'll let me log in to the xbox live website, and the msn site, but Hotmail won't play ball.

Also, is there a way to see a breakdown of what's on the harddrive, like you can on the 360? I've had this 320GB a month, and it's saying out of 298GB available, I only have 120GB free, which doesn't tally up. There's no way I have 178GB of stuff on it.
  • PazJohnMitch 7 Jan 2013 20:38:35 8,309 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just bought Playstation Plus.

I have an old 40GB PS3 with 17 / 37GB free according to the System Information. However if I try and download Bioshock 2 which is only 10.4GB it tells me I have insufficient space.

It would however let me download Kyntt Underground at 800MB.

Is the hard drive partitioned into slots under 10GB? If so can I remove this?

Or does it need to maintain over 7GB of free space? I assume it is not this as I only had 4GB of space prior to deleting everything that was already on it.

Or has it not really deleted everything?
  • oldschoolsoviet 7 Jan 2013 20:50:55 5,500 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Needs double the space to cache it before download/install ? Same system as the Vita I'd assume, so you'd technically need 21GB of space.

Haven't reached capacity on the big fella, so it's a guess.
  • drhcnip 7 Jan 2013 20:52:20 2,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    it needs double the space of the game - e.g, in bioshock's case you need 10.4 to download it and then another 10.4 to install it to, otherwise the ps3 wags its finger and says 'no chance'.....

found this out when i wanted to install infamous 2 which, at 15gb+, needs over 30gb - i;ve got no chance on a 40gb unless i uninstall everything else.....:(

*beaten to it....:)*

Edited by drhcnip at 20:53:48 07-01-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Jan 2013 10:16:40 14,959 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi chaps
    Is the ps3 always so loud when playing disc based games ?
    I'm playing MW3 (only 20 mins in) and the ps3 has not shut up chugging away since I put the disc in, it really is loud. I had the same with Resistance 3 the last time I owned/played on a ps3, I was assured it was normal, at least at the start of a game?

I watched a bluray last night,no worries I have also played games via ps+ I just thought I would ask you fine chaps if this sound is normal.
    Thank you for your wisdom ;)

• pinebear 17 Jan 2013 11:15:11 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Normal but disconcerting. Some games do make a racket and a half, R3 being another one of them. Unlike MW3 that did actually have an install (one that was a right pain to remove) but didn't stop it from assaulting the BR every so often.

• DUFFMAN5 17 Jan 2013 11:21:59 14,959 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @pinebear
    Cheers
    I did look online and MW3 is one of the worst it would seem. I will just have to wear headphones ;)

• pinebear 17 Jan 2013 11:46:32 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keep your pulse rifle handy in case it really does contain a mechanical chestburster struggling to get out.

• dominalien 18 Jan 2013 12:01:26 7,016 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm thinking of getting a new PS3 for the office and am actually liking the look of the super slim. Anyone with one care to comment on how it's like? I think I'll be getting the 12GB model.

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 120 First / Last