The "I've got an iPhone" thread Page 196

• Page

of 220 First / Last

• yegon 5 Feb 2013 08:21:45 5,218 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What dominalien said. No interest in piracy whatsoever - if you're not willing to cough peanuts for apps and own a smartphone you need to take a long hard look at yourself - but there's few tweaks that ultimately boil down to reducing the number of taps to perform an action from maybe 4 or 5 to 1 or 2. Sounds like nothing, but if you're doing said things 50 times a day it makes it a whole lot more intuitive. Things like Activator & NCsettings are hard to live without once you're accustomed to them - think I said previously, going from my jb 4 to a 5 was a nice step up in hardware but a distinct downgrade in terms if ui/ux.

And f.lux is the icing on the cake for me :)

Edited by yegon at 08:34:58 05-02-2013
  • Tonka 5 Feb 2013 08:33:14 20,222 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That AskTOCall thing sounds really useful actually.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• dominalien 5 Feb 2013 08:36:43 6,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There really is no reason for you not to try it.

Backup your phone in iTunes, jailbreak (it doesn't wipe any data, programs or settings), install AskToCall. If you don't like it for whatever reason, backup to iTunes again (if you want/need to), restore iOS and restore the backup and voila, you're back to a non-jailbroken phone.

Just don't beat me over the head when something goes wrong. ;-)

PSN: DonOsito

• Tonka 5 Feb 2013 09:23:34 20,222 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But I was thinking about jailbreaking my iPad tbh. My phone is an Android and I found an app that does the same thing as askToCall. Very useful to me as I've had a few mishaps where I called people whilst updating contact info or from my pocket etc etc.

As for the iPad it seems less important to jailbreak. Most of the nice OS fixes are geared towards making calls, blocking calls, seeing who is calling

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• dominalien 5 Feb 2013 09:31:31 6,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, I there is less reason to jailbreak the iPad. There, I use it mostly for access to the terminal and some command line tools.

• yegon 5 Feb 2013 10:47:24 5,218 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although I've jailbroken my iPad just for the crack, there is definitely less reason too, although there are lots if improvement. f.lux is brilliant on iPhone and iPad, changes screen to warmer hue at night, available on comps too.

A jailbroken iPhone offers more than just call related stuff though, plenty of tweaks that make the ui/ux better - Zephyr (off bezel gesture for multitasking bar instead of double press home), Auxo (awesome screenshot along with icon appears in app switcher), Activator (assign practically anything to anything eg. double tap clock on lock screen for play/pause without having to double press home for playback controls, or say hold status bar for loads of shortcuts/functions), Full Screen Safari (not ios6 compat yet, adds gestures to Safari), LockInfo5 (put widgets/toggles on lock screen). Jailbreaking solves a lot of the misgivings I have about the shortcomings of iOS - no way in hell will I be updating to iOS7 until a flawless jailbreak is available, whatever comes in that update will very unlikely match the volume of improvement via jb.

Edited by yegon at 09:18:02 07-02-2013
  • JayG 5 Feb 2013 14:19:55 842 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm tempted to jailbreak my Ipad just for ScummVM. Got Monkey island 1 and 2, and the Telltale one on there, be nice to add Curse, along with Full Throttle, DotT and Sam and Max.
  • ISmoke 6 Feb 2013 22:35:44 545 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone have an issue trying to connect their iPhone 5 to wifi? Mine seems to never want to connect to any networks, debating bringing it in
  • Blakester 11 Feb 2013 20:23:38 3,597 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    My contract runs out in a month. Had a S2 and I've pretty much hated it from the off. Going straight for the iPhone 5. I'm not going to hang around and wait for a 5S, such is my hatred of Android and Samsung.
    Welcome to my world. I regretted getting the S2 pretty much the day I got it. Decent handset, but the software just felt ragged and under-developed. It was a chore to use and after a year or so I felt a tinge of embarrassment using it.

Just got the iPhone 5 and IMO it offers a vastly superior user experience while also having the look and feel of a premium handset. Can't imagine I'll leave iOS for some time now.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• beastmaster 17 Feb 2013 16:31:48 11,330 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just set my iPhone 5 up. Got a 64 G one. It's already better than the S2. Just the way the texts, mail and other notifications can be seen immediately and makes a sound.

I'm also back into my iOS ecosystem. Should have never left it as it's so much better than Google.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Flying_Pig 20 Feb 2013 20:04:15 10,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but the mic on my 4s has stopped working for phonecalls. Bloody annoying having a phone which essentially can't make/receive calls

Any suggestions short of getting a Genius Bar appointment?
  • lucky_jim 21 Feb 2013 19:42:02 5,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Right, I'm having a proper pain-in-the-backside problem. When I moved to the Czech Republic, I bought an iPhone 4S off contract, so I could stick any SIM in it whenever I was back in England visiting, and so I could tether my iPad to it as needed. So, I ended up with an O2 UK SIM for when I'm in the UK, and a Vodafone CZ one for when I'm in Prague.

So, last week I was back in England for the first time in over a year, used the O2 UK SIM, and everything worked fine once I'd received the activation messages.

I got back to Prague last Saturday, and put the Vodafone CZ SIM, and since then, my 3G data doesn't work - but only for http (which seems to include iMessages). My emails still work, I still get notifications, but whenever I try and access a web page - or any app tries to - it just times out. Safari eventually gives me a message which says 'Safari cannot open the page. The error was: "There was a problem communicating with the web proxy server (HTTP)."'

I've tried googling that, but I can't find a single reference, anywhere, to anyone having seen that message when using a 3G connection, only when using wifi. I've set the APN as per Vodafone CZ's instructions on their web page, I've deleted the O2 UK profile from my phone, I've hit the "reset network settings" button, I've tried removing and re-inserting the SIM, I've even updated the phone to the latest version of iOS (just cos it was released since the problem arose), and nothing seems to fix this.

I've got an outstanding query with Vodafone CZ, but they seem as baffled as I am. So, I thought I'd post here, mainly because I thought the EG hive mind may have encountered this before, but also to warn any fellow multi-national types that, if you use O2 in the UK, those fuckers will (for all intents and purposes) lock your non-contract iphone to their shitty network, the fucking cunts.

Any suggestions, anybody? The only thing I haven't tried yet is a full wipe and factory reset.
  • lucky_jim 21 Feb 2013 19:43:05 5,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Flying_Pig
    My brother had that problem with his iPad 2, Apple replaced it immediately - I think mics conking out is something they're aware of. You might not even need the appointment. Now, any ideas about my issue, above? :-P
  • crashVoodoo 1 Mar 2013 22:45:34 3,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Partner has just got an iphone 5 and as much as I hate the thing she likes it ... apart from one small issue.

On her old android phone I'd installed an app called kids place.

Its basically a sandbox allowing you to add in games or links to videos and our son can only run those and it requires a code to get out of it.

Is Rhett something like this on iPhone? I've been searching for what seems like hours now and I'm no further forward.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 22:46:18 01-03-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• dominalien 1 Mar 2013 22:56:41 6,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like Rhett's not here right now. But until he comes back to give you an actual useful answer, maybe this will do: http://www.famigo.com/ios-sandbox/ :-)

Disclaimer: I haven't used this, it's just something I found after 2 mins of googling.

• crashVoodoo 1 Mar 2013 23:23:09 3,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Looks like Rhett's not here right now. But until he comes back to give you an actual useful answer, maybe this will do: http://www.famigo.com/ios-sandbox/ :-)

Disclaimer: I haven't used this, it's just something I found after 2 mins of googling.
    Cheers I'll give it a whirl. Remember seeing this but somehow moved passed it.

Its not an app in the appstore that's how I missed it.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:25:52 01-03-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Deleted user 2 March 2013 00:24:49
    @CrashVoodoo

'Restrictions' in Settings does quite a lot of what you need already. Not everything though.

Worth having a look, and its already built in.

Settings/Genersl/Restrictions

Edited by bdaggers at 00:25:31 02-03-2013
  • midnight_walker 17 Mar 2013 21:24:03 1,939 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alright dudes. Just got an iPhone gifted to me from my old man. I have in turn gifted it to the other half as I have no use for it. Now, I've never owned an iPhone before so I have a potentially dumb question, so please excuse me.

I put my SIM in the iPhone when my dad was here to see if it was unlocked, as we weren't sure if it was. He bought it from the Apple store on 3, and my sim is on T-Mobile. So I did, and made a call, and it went through, although a little message popped up saying activation required. So yay, I assumed it was unlocked. Now, I've just done a factory reset on it using the Mrs' laptop, and it says it wants activating before it will do anything. I've ordered a new microsim for her since she only has an old school fat sim, but it's not going to arrive for a couple of days. So does activating the phone register it against a particular sim? Basically what I'm asking is can I just stick my sim in now, activate, get to the main screen and then stick her sim in when it arrives? Or will that screw everything up? What the hell is activation? Will activating even work? Will it tell me I'm a stinking thief and send the Apple hitsquad in to return the phone to my dad?

AHHHHHH HELP.
  • dominalien 17 Mar 2013 21:44:17 6,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, you can activate with your sim. It will not prevent a different sim working with the phone. Do turn it off when switching sims, though, just in case. It'll work without turning the phone off, but I've found carrier settings may not update properly.

I have no idea what the activation is supposed to do, it's probably Apple keeping track of what happens to their phones.

Edit: Hmm, seems the activation sends the phone's SN to Apple to check if it's locked to a carrier and to set it up properly if it is. Also, it may start the warranty period, which shouldn't apply to you.

The warranty thing works pretty well, actually. I'd bought a used iPhone a few years ago and it broke within a few weeks. I went to an apple store to see if they could do anything, they said it was still in warranty and I got a new one.

Edited by dominalien at 21:48:25 17-03-2013

• CharlieStCloud 20 Mar 2013 16:44:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has anyone received a random e-mail from Apple about the iPhone 5 and how 'amazing' it is?

... totally off-putting! Who is it aimed at and why now all of a sudden?

: S
  • Buztafen 20 Mar 2013 16:56:48 16,176 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just checked and yes, have also received that email. Very odd.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Mar 2013 17:19:07 9,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recently upgraded my 4S to a 5, but will be keeping the 4S and selling the 5 (details below).

The Apple warranty on the 4S has run out after the first year (I've had it for 18 months). EU regulation says my phone is covered for any defects for the first two years after purchase and that I have to go back to the seller if anything goes wrong.

From experience, I know that retailers are very awkward in dealing with such requests, and I imagine vodafone (who I bought the phone from) will be even more awkward about it because I've just left them.

The AppleCare Plan covers iPhones for 2 years from the date of purchase so there's no point me paying for that and getting just six months coverage from it.

Are there any options I have to cover my 4S for any breakdown/damage for the next two years?

The iPhone 5 is black, 16GB, still sealed in the box. It's locked to 3 but I can get the unlock code from them in a few weeks. PM if interested.
  • Flying_Pig 21 Apr 2013 15:33:08 10,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Soooo- contract expires next month. Upgrade from my 4s to a 5 straight away, or hold out for a 5s/6?

Any idea when the new iPhone is due out? What we can expect? Worth waiting for?
  • TarickStonefire 21 Apr 2013 16:51:52 3,045 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If they go back to the old schedule, June/July-ish. If they wait a year since the last one, October-ish. No idea which way it'll go this time, but in terms of expectations mine are for the same shell as the 5, a fancyish new feature or two (of varying use, see 'Siri on the 4S'), and the usual small-medium upgrades to components (camera, CPU, battery, etc).

I'm actually still perfectly happy with my 4S. We'll see how I feel about that once iOS 7 comes out which doubtless will gimp the 3GS and 4...

Edited by TarickStonefire at 16:52:37 21-04-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 21 Apr 2013 16:56:38 3,045 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    The AppleCare Plan covers iPhones for 2 years from the date of purchase so there's no point me paying for that and getting just six months coverage from it.

Are there any options I have to cover my 4S for any breakdown/damage for the next two years?
    I'm not sure you can buy Applecare this long after first purchasing the device, these days. Or can you? Dunno. Helpful comment, I know ;)

With regards to issues that might crop up, I don't know about coverage, but I do know that there's much cheaper repair options than Apple's standard "pay us 140 to replace the entire device even though it probably just needs X replaced".

For example, my docking port shorted and it was causing all sorts of issues. Apple wanted their 140, but iCorrect near TCR in London replaced the dock port for 30, guaranteed their repair for a year, and it's been fine ever since.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• THFourteen 21 Apr 2013 17:19:45 33,191 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So far the only 100% confirmed rumours are that the phone will be an ever so slightly different shape so that none of your cases will fit, and the processor will be ever so slightly faster, and there will be one or two snazzy-ly named apps like "Bibliotheque" on it which will do something jahmazing
  • yegon 22 Apr 2013 12:13:24 5,218 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although I fully expect the 5S to be completely underwhelming, I wouldn't go from a 4S to a 5 now. Much better buying phones within the first couple of months of their release, get maximum bang for the buck then. I'm happy with my 5, jailbreak irons out most misgivings I have with iOS. I'm always tempted by bigger screens on Android devices but, having dabbled with the Note and custom roms for a while, I'd personally much prefer the software experience on iOS, flaws and all. I just wish Apple would make the damn thing bigger, give me a 4.7" screen with similar ppi please - not this larger iPhone bollocks with the same res, I want more screen real estate not bigger text.

May have been said, but I always buy Apple Care from CeX for peanuts. Care'd up multiple macs/iphone's over the years for a fraction of the price.

Edited by yegon at 12:13:55 22-04-2013
  • THFourteen 22 Apr 2013 12:43:08 33,191 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The two things they could fix in iOS for me are automatic downloading and widgets.

On my android phone, i pick it up in the morning, it has already checked the trains i want and the waterloo and city line and displayed the status on the front screen without me doing anything.

Its also automatically downloaded all my podcasts and RSS (full text even for feeds which are not full text by default) without me having to do anything.

on my iPad, it doesnt do the first at all, and even the applications that are meant to automate downloads like news stand mags, or downcast dont really automate reliably at all.

i cant be arsed to haev to remember to manually refresh both an iphone AND an ipad
  • kalel 22 Apr 2013 12:44:10 87,000 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wish I could set my iphone to automatically update my apps.
  • Kay 22 Apr 2013 12:44:35 17,820 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    On my android phone, i pick it up in the morning, it has already checked the trains i want and the waterloo and city line and displayed the status on the front screen without me doing anything.
    Which app is that?
  • Page

of 220 First / Last