The "I've got an iPhone" thread Page 195

• Page

of 235 First / Last

• SuperCoolEskimo 20 Nov 2012 04:40:33 10,071 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone had problems downloading 6.0.1 on the 4S via Software Update in Settings? It takes forever, and usually times out, which is annoying.

I'm currently on 5.1.1.
  • ElNuevo9 29 Nov 2012 22:42:34 13,601 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anybody know how much an out of warranty iPhone 5 replacement is?

I dropped it the other day and put a huge dint in the corner, and stupidly, forgot to change over iPhone 4 to 5 on my insurance. Devastated.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• TFM_Excalibur 29 Nov 2012 22:44:43 1,098 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:

I dropped it the other day and put a huge dint in the corner, and stupidly, forgot to change over iPhone 4 to 5 on my insurance. Devastated.
    Why not just change then claim it?
  • crashVoodoo 29 Nov 2012 22:56:17 4,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TFM_Excalibur wrote:
    ElNino9 wrote:

Why not just change then claim it?
    was just thinking that before i read your post. they don't know when it was dropped

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• sanctusmortis 6 Dec 2012 11:35:36 9,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iPhone 4 is in a constant crash loop at the minute. No idea what's wrong. If I try open any app it crashes.
  • Buztafen 11 Dec 2012 09:26:13 16,531 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So i can pick up a 5 this weekend but coming from a 4S (and a 4 before that) i might be getting a little...bored with them.

What are the alternatives to the 5 at the moment?

Thing is, I don't want to rush into buying something else before realizing i should've stuck with the iphone...
  • yegon 11 Dec 2012 10:22:34 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Be prepared for lots of irritations when moving platforms. I went Android for a bit, I was annoyed by lots of little things that weren't necessarily worse (they were often better in some ways), just different. If you've been with one platform for ages and are extremely familiar with it, change can feel like a real pita. Anyone going Android to iOS would likely feel exactly the same, this ain't a moronic fanboy post.

Oh, and if you're coming from a jailbroken 4S, iOS6 feels like a definite downgrade. I was never a heavy tweaker but maaaaan I miss Zephyr, NCSettings & Activator :(

Edited by yegon at 10:28:02 11-12-2012
  • Buztafen 11 Dec 2012 11:02:28 16,531 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My 4S isn't jailbroken and is iOS6, i wouldn't say i'm a power user. In fact i'm only really upgrading because my fiancee wants my 4S and wants to keep her current contract as its a really good deal so i'm being forced to get a new phone! I know! First world problems an all that. ;)

Looking about there's the HTC ONE X+, the LG Optimus G and the Galaxy S3 as alternatives...plus some Windows 8 Phones...im probably gonna plum for the 5 arent I...:rolleyes:

Edited by Buztafen at 11:02:48 11-12-2012
  • crashVoodoo 11 Dec 2012 11:53:02 4,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    My 4S isn't jailbroken and is iOS6, i wouldn't say i'm a power user. In fact i'm only really upgrading because my fiancee wants my 4S and wants to keep her current contract as its a really good deal so i'm being forced to get a new phone! I know! First world problems an all that. ;)

Looking about there's the HTC ONE X+, the LG Optimus G and the Galaxy S3 as alternatives...plus some Windows 8 Phones...im probably gonna plum for the 5 arent I...:rolleyes:
    Probably.  Its not just about the handsets or OS anymore.  The ecosystem is a deciding factor as well, especially if you've purchased loads of stuff in the appstore.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• SFD 11 Dec 2012 12:32:11 512 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My iPhone 4 has a few faults (home button can be unresponsive, slight issue with a small part of the screen, that's only really minor and it's hard to hear people on the phone even with the volume maxed) and is sadly out of warranty. Any idea if apple offer any option to exchange it for a refurbished or new phone for a fee or do I have to pay silly money for repairs?
  • yegon 11 Dec 2012 13:38:58 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SFD wrote:
    My iPhone 4 has a few faults (home button can be unresponsive, slight issue with a small part of the screen, that's only really minor and it's hard to hear people on the phone even with the volume maxed) and is sadly out of warranty. Any idea if apple offer any option to exchange it for a refurbished or new phone for a fee or do I have to pay silly money for repairs?
    Hmm, dunno, I had similar problems with my old 4's home button out of warranty. Apple wanted silly money so I thought, stuff it, jailbroke it and Zephyr & Activator killed any need I had for the home button till I got a 5. I imagine your's would cost even more with the other faults.
  • Dr-Strangelove 11 Dec 2012 13:49:12 2,132 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SFD

Apple will change an iPhone4 for £120. It comes with a 90 day warranty.

Edited by Dr-Strangelove at 14:21:19 11-12-2012
  • SFD 11 Dec 2012 14:04:40 512 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr-Strangelove
    @yegon

Thanks!

Edited by SFD at 14:06:19 11-12-2012
  • Buztafen 18 Dec 2012 12:10:01 16,531 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, i either need a reality check or some justification because i'm thinking about this far too much...

I got a iphone 5 over the weekend. After opening it, I noticed it has a very small (less than a millimeter) nick in the plastic bezel around the edge of the front of the phone at the bottom. It's annoying the feck out of me...it shouldn't be there.

So what should i do? Should I just stop being an incredibly anal, slightly crazy and fastidious weirdo...or take it back to Carphone Warehouse for a replacement?

You can call me names if you want too, i dont know if im more annoyed at the nick... or the fact that im annoyed about being annoyed about something so minor.
    :(

/bangs head against wall
  • yegon 19 Dec 2012 13:00:52 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got a replacement mini for the same reason, shiny ding under the home button. At these prices, its hardly anal wanting a new product to look....well....new! My mini is still in perfect nick, if I ding it, its my fault and I won't care, but out of the box I want perfection dagnabbit.
  • ElNuevo9 19 Dec 2012 16:24:38 13,601 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it's a £550 phone, it should come without scratches! Had the same problem, swapped mine at an Apple store.

Also, anybody know why my phone is saying there isn't enough local storage to update Vice City? I have 2GB free and the update is only 1GB. Really annoying.

Edited by ElNino9 at 16:24:55 19-12-2012

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• CharlieStCloud 19 Dec 2012 16:32:38 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Also, anybody know why my phone is saying there isn't enough local storage to update Vice City? I have 2GB free and the update is only 1GB. Really annoying.
    I had this problem on my iPad 2 a year or so ago in which I wanted to update a game - think it was Infinity Blade - and although I had enough space, the App refuses to update.

I was kind of told that some of it is left 'free' for extra processing or Apps that use up memory over time ... probably a load of bobbins, but that is all I know.

Go ahead and move photos, videos or music onto your computer to free up some valuable space...?
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Jan 2013 19:10:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Huh!

I was the last poster on this thread ... oh well.

Anyway, there could be a low cost iPhone this year.

To be honest, they could just sell the iPhone 4S at a fair more reasonable price instead.
  • HoriZon 15 Jan 2013 18:26:58 13,596 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    iPhone 5S Reportedly Slated for March Production with June/July Launch.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/15/iphone-5s-reportedly-slated-for-march-production-with-junejuly-launch/

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• beastmaster 16 Jan 2013 09:08:48 11,992 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My contract runs out in a month. Had a S2 and I've pretty much hated it from the off. Going straight for the iPhone 5. I'm not going to hang around and wait for a 5S, such is my hatred of Android and Samsung.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 16 January 2013 10:03:04
    Is there a pdf app that lets me highlight/make notes on the document?
  • yegon 16 Jan 2013 12:21:29 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    iPhone 5S Reportedly Slated for March Production with June/July Launch.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/15/iphone-5s-reportedly-slated-for-march-production-with-junejuly-launch/
    As always, I'll be skipping the S model, but in the incredibly unlikely event they upped the screen size (not gonna happen), I'd probably flog my 5 and upgrade (I'm contract free). Tried android, Jelly Bean on the Note was pleasant, but I just prefer iOS. My only wish is for a bigger screen. Maybe the iPhone 6 will bring a 4.3"-4.5" 1920x1280 (pixel doubling the 4), who knows. Can't see this bastardised widescreen res lasting much beyond the incoming model, it'll look a bit out of date by the end of 2014. It's fine at 4" though admittedly.

Edited by yegon at 12:22:08 16-01-2013
  • reddevil93 17 Jan 2013 15:09:45 12,071 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looking to get a tv out cable for my iPhone 4S, anyone got any advice on a decent one? Nothing amazing, just to watch videos from YouTube and safari over the TV. The official ones seem very expensive.

• yegon 30 Jan 2013 16:02:28 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, the 5 jailbreak will be out in the next week or so, w00t! I've saved my 6.1 blobs in preparation, looking forward to jailbreaking again.

Not a heavy tweaker, only use 6 tweaks (NCSettings, Zephyr, Activator, Switchy, FS Safari, 5 Icon Dock) but they'll enhance my 5 no end, really miss them from my old 4.

5 of the 6 I use are fully working with 6.1, a compatibility list can be found here;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?pli=1&key=0AsxLituOoyr9dGRaMk1YSWxYMk9RWmU3UHBwVWFVYkE&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=7&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250
  • yegon 4 Feb 2013 17:27:35 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    6.1 now jailbroken, YAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!

Easiest jailbreak EVAAAH!

http://evasi0n.com/
  • dominalien 5 Feb 2013 00:13:29 7,065 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, it seems very easy. I'll find out in just a few minutes.

PSN: DonOsito

• silentbob 5 Feb 2013 00:35:25 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Done. Easy. Don't expect any Cydia Repos to be responsive though - let's hope traffic eases off tomorrow.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• yegon 5 Feb 2013 07:10:11 5,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally got a couple of tweaks of Cydia. Only free stuff, still can't manage existing account. But welcom back Activator, 5 icon dock and NCsettings :)
  • Tonka 5 Feb 2013 07:21:19 21,353 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why do you jailbreak your phones? Is it to get free apps or to make the OS usable?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• dominalien 5 Feb 2013 08:04:03 7,065 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is the whole piracy thing, of course, but in my case I jailbreak the phone to get some functionality I otherwise couldn't.

The one program I really can't live without is AskToCall, which puts in an "are you sure you want to call" dialog after tapping on a name in contacts. I found I was making way too many random calls without it.

The rest are just icing on the cake for me. iFile (file manager), iTransmission (bittorrent client, only about half usable, but will do in a pinch), SBSettingsToggles (toggles for various functionality from the main screen).

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 235 First / Last