• Page

of 60 First / Last

Previous
  • Onny 9 Jan 2007 10:45:10 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Looks like James Cameron isn't going to do a live-action Battle Angel Alita after all; no, he's going to do a CG sci-fi epic. I've got to say that initially I was pretty worried, but then I realised that this is the man who has never directed a shit sci-fi film. Could be brilliant!

/starts counting the days until "summer 2009"

Oh and it's in 3D! \o/
  • jellyhead 9 Jan 2007 11:02:31 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting but it does sound a trifle cliche'd though but you know it'll be fun!
    Do you mean 3D as in you have to wear those stupid red/green glasses when you watch it though? :(

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Onny 9 Jan 2007 11:11:26 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Do you mean 3D as in you have to wear those stupid red/green glasses when you watch it though? :(
    I went to see Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D during the chrimbo break and we got pairs of what looked like thick-rimmed sunglasses. Worked great, though. No idea how it works.

It does sound a trifle cliche, but then this is the guy who invented a load of sci-fi cliches.. maybe he'll invent some more? Maybe in ten years' time people on googleweb forums will be quoting lines from Avatar as well as lines from Aliens and Terminator.

God, I hope he doesn't fuck this up.
  • jellyhead 9 Jan 2007 11:20:31 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The 3D works by displaying two images slightly offset, the glasses then filter the correct image to your eye and the brain reconstructs them, as they are slightly different you get a 3D effect. I've got eye problems, i can't see those stereogram dotpicture thingys so anything like this just puts me off. :(

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 20 March 2009 15:08:30
    I hope this is the movie that takes 12.
  • Ginger 20 Mar 2009 15:21:34 6,841 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    No idea how it works.
    Different polarisation iirc

London open taekwondo champion

• kalel 20 Mar 2009 15:45:19 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How Cameron is rated so highly I have no idea, the guy is really lucky imo. He’s only managed to actually make 6 films in his whole career, and they’re mostly quite cheesy mainstream pics.

Terminator – OK, credit where it’s due. Awesome film.
    Aliens – Decent, but essentially a cheesy action flick
    The Abyss – A bit underrated actually, but nothing that remarkable
    T2 – Cheesy action film that’s getting worse as the years go by
    True Lies – Cheesy action film that was never that great and is getting worse as the years go by
    Titanic – Most overrated film of all time

That’s it! That’s his whole career!

I swear people somehow get confused and think he’s Ridley Scott. I reckon that’s why Titanic got so many Oscars…
  • Deleted user 20 March 2009 15:47:32
    He's made quite a few documentaries.

And Piranha 2.
  • kalel 20 Mar 2009 15:49:03 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't mean he's literally done nothing else, but that's his career as a top-tier director.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2009 15:52:23
    To be fair, Ridley Scott has done more films but only three of which are any good (Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator). The rest are all average (Black Hawk Down etc) or just plain shit (GI Jane, Kingdom of Heaven, Hannibal and so on).
  • kalel 20 Mar 2009 15:56:26 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scott has some stuff in his backlog which is at least interesting. Legend and Black Rain both have cult followings, Thelma and Louise is a very iconic movie, and I thought American Gangster was possibly the best gangster film made this decade. Black Hawk Down is also a decent film imo.

But yeah, he’s also a bit overrated maybe, but much better than Cameron who really has got a shit CV imho.
  • askew 20 Mar 2009 15:58:03 12,288 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kelly's_h wrote:

I don't know what this means.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2009 15:59:15
    Yeah, I agree with you about Cameron anyway. He mostly became a powerhouse by inventing a franchise (Termy) and reinventing another (Aliens), which gave him a huge amount of leverage (and let him do his vanity projects like his documentaries and Titanic and whatnot).
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 20 Mar 2009 16:07:32 7,010 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    IGNORE ME - HAVING A BRAIN FART!!

/goes back to sleep.

• kalel 20 Mar 2009 16:08:58 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, T&L is Ridley Scott :D
  • kalel 20 Mar 2009 16:09:31 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As is Bladerunner :DD
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Mar 2009 16:10:00 25,907 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hold on, who are you talking about?
  • kalel 20 Mar 2009 16:10:15 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I swear people somehow get confused and think he’s Ridley Scott. I reckon that’s why Titanic got so many Oscars…
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Mar 2009 16:10:34 25,907 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 20 Mar 2009 16:10:34 7,010 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm having a moment, please excuse me.

/shoots self
  • nickthegun 20 Mar 2009 16:12:40 59,959 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    How Cameron is rated so highly I have no idea, the guy is really lucky imo. He’s only managed to actually make 6 films in his whole career, and they’re mostly quite cheesy mainstream pics.

Terminator – Awesome film.
    Aliens – Awesome film
    The Abyss – Awesome film
    T2 – Awesome film
    True Lies – Mildy racist
    Titanic – Most overrated film of all time
    That one he did about the sea - Looks good on iMax

That’s it! That’s his whole career!

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Scimarad 20 Mar 2009 16:14:35 8,549 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    T2 – Cheesy action film that’s getting worse as the years go by

I certainly agree with this one...
  • kalel 20 Mar 2009 16:20:27 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nick – I can just about accept T2 is a good example of a cheesy no brainer-action flick, but it’s got some of the worst dialogue and acting I’ve ever seen and some of it is laughable. It’s not a film a top filmmaker would have made.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2009 16:26:09
    askew wrote:
    kelly's_h wrote:

I don't know what this means.

12 Oscars

As far as I know only Ben Hur, Schindler's List, Titanic and Return of the King managed 11 Oscars each.

Call Cameron overrated, but to me he's amazing. Starting his career as a set builder (after studying engineering). Working on stuff like Piranha as a set builder I think. Then he has a fever dream of The Terminator rising out of the ashes. Writes and directs it off the budget of Arnie's supplements, and then makes Titanic. After a couple of other movies, wins the "overrated" 11 Oscars for Titanic.

Personally he I think he can be credited with creating the same amount of cliches as Kubrick.
  • kalel 20 Mar 2009 16:30:15 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oscars are bullshit. Titanic winning the most ever is proof of that.
  • mal 20 Mar 2009 16:31:10 22,572 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kelly's_h wrote:
    Personally he I think he can be credited with creating the same amount of cliches as Kubrick.
    I think that's unlikely, if you mean that literally. But then when Kubrick started, many of the stock shots and whatnot of today hadn't been invented, so he had a bit of an advantage there.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• nickthegun 20 Mar 2009 16:31:33 59,959 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nick – I can just about accept T2 is a good example of a cheesy no brainer-action flick, but it’s got some of the worst dialogue and acting I’ve ever seen and some of it is laughable. It’s not a film a top filmmaker would have made.

I think it is, to be honest. You only have to look at T3 to see how gay the overall concept could have been in the wrong hands.

T2 is an incredibly well crafted film, especially the DC, that flows together perfectly and tells a very compelling story.

The acting is, largely, pretty good. Arnie doesnt do much, sarah connor is pretty well portrayed and the T1000 is iconically menacing.

The one criticism that you can make of it is that it is very much 'of the day' and in those terms, some of the dialogue hasnt aged very well.

But, overall, I think it is a phenomenal, expertly crafted movie.

• Deleted user 20 March 2009 16:31:58
    Oscars lost all relevance as soon as Uncle Marty won one.

Before then you could get annoyed at them being stupid and ignoring him, but not any more.
  • nickthegun 20 Mar 2009 16:32:58 59,959 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Oscars are bullshit. Titanic winning the most ever is proof of that.

Like I posted in the most recent oscar thread, if you read the past nominations and winners for the best picture, you wonder what the judges smoke every year.

• kalel 20 Mar 2009 16:34:22 87,729 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    T2 is an incredibly well crafted film, especially the DC, that flows together perfectly and tells a very compelling story.

The acting is, largely, pretty good. Arnie doesnt do much, sarah connor is pretty well portrayed and the T1000 is iconically menacing.

The one criticism that you can make of it is that it is very much 'of the day' and in those terms, some of the dialogue hasnt aged very well.

But, overall, I think it is a phenomenal, expertly crafted movie.

Nice attempt to not mention John Conner, but he is the main part, and every word out his mouth makes me want to eat my hand out of cringing. It’s not just Furlong’s acting either.

It’s a decent action flick in a similar league to The Matrix or maybe even Star Wars. I think that’s giving it due credit.
  • Page

of 60 First / Last

Previous