Bringing a Wii in from the US into the UK

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • cormac 27 Dec 2006 12:11:21 2 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    My son would like a Wii for his birthday in February. I am in the US in January and if I purchase one there, what are some of the associated issues with using a wii made for the US market. My son is only 9 yrs old, so things like online gaming, etc will not really appeal to him yet.

Does anyone know what the availability of Wii's with be like by February
  • GiarcYekrub 27 Dec 2006 13:39:35 3,903 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does any1 know if you can connect them to the net as I heard you need a firmware update to allow SD card use.

I'm tempted to get a US cube as the VC looks like it'll have better versions and exclusives such as Mario RPG. If you get a US cube can you buy the games from the US shop in the UK?

I think a US freeloader will allow PAL Gamecube games to be playable on a US Wii

It's my understanding the US Wii wll be able to output NTSC GC games at 480p via component

Edited by GiarcYekrub at 13:40:17 27-12-2006
  • spongebob 27 Dec 2006 13:59:31 252 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I might be doing some importing myself so this interests me as well.

The biggest question is, how does the motion sensor work with a PAL SD telly when the Wii is NTSC one? Is it worse, does it work at all or is it just like having PAL SD and a Wii PAL?
  • psusion 27 Dec 2006 16:33:58 22 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    groovemeister wrote:
    TBH considering the advantages of the US VC, it makes me wonder.

I'm under the impression that you can't use a console online outside its territory, meaning that a US Wii would be useless in the UK for 'net use.

If anybody knows of this is NOT the case and that you can access the US virtual console with a US Wii, then I may well go for a US Wii and just get US Wii games. Also saves money this way (and get games sooner).

ALSO: What about firmware mods? Could a UK Wii be hacked to access the US VC, to appear like a US Wii? That would be my ideal scenario.

You'll be able to go online with a US Wii in the UK. However it will only connect to US servers, so meaning you can download only US virtual console games.
  • varsas 27 Dec 2006 17:42:43 2,414 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    psusion wrote:
    You'll be able to go online with a US Wii in the UK. However it will only connect to US servers, so meaning you can download only US virtual console games.
    Additionally you will need to have a US registered credit card to buy Wii points from the online shop or import Wii points cards from the US.

W.r.t. to the freeloader working on the US Wii, it's highly likely that that will be bypassed with a firmware upgrade at some point.
  • morriss 27 Dec 2006 17:48:36 71,287 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Try ordering from Europe instead. There're Wii's here in Denmark, but because of the 25% VAT they're a little more expensive: 2200kroner = £210-£215. A little more than you'd pay in the UK but at least there's stock.
  • spongebob 27 Dec 2006 19:15:14 252 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Err, so, does anyone know if NTSC Wii works properly on a PAL telly? (Standard definition).
  • GiarcYekrub 27 Dec 2006 23:20:59 3,903 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    what about power suply do you need a step down thing or are they universal?
  • Floppy 1 Jan 2007 09:05:47 92 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just to make you aware, if you have a US imported Wii, you can buy Wii Points on a UK credit card rather than going to the trouble of importing Points Cards.

All you need to do is set your native country on the Wii as 'Brazil'. The Brazilians have the same transactional checks as us. I have a US Wii, and I have done this with no trouble at all.

There are limitations with the online service though. Your Weather Channel is limited to providing you with default weather from whatever North or South American country you have available for you to register against.
  • manuel_garcia 1 Jan 2007 09:25:22 4,079 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spongebob wrote:
    Err, so, does anyone know if NTSC Wii works properly on a PAL telly? (Standard definition).

The sensor bar wont be an issue, as it doesnt do anything with the TV at all, it just needs to be situated in the center of it, pal and ntsc wont matter in that respect whatsoever. All the sensor bar does is emit 2 points of light (infra-red) for the wiimote to pick up on so it knows where its aiming when you point it to towards the screen. I tried the fabled '2 candles' trick last night and it worked just fine, so considering you dont actually need the bar plugged in at all, thats the least of your worries.

Aside from that, its a standard NTSC console, so if your TV supports NTSC formats (and what tv doesnt these days), it'll be absolutely fine. Even better, just get a component cable if you have the inputs.
  • Bidermaier 1 Jan 2007 20:55:13 31 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can also get Wii points using a NTSC card. The good thing is that some online stores like videogameplus.ca email the codes.

I would love to change my PAL Wii for a NTSC one. The game list is longer, with games like elebits, exite truck and trauma center already available and the VC will have a better list and a with all the games running at 60hz 480p.
  • haowan 1 Jan 2007 20:57:47 7,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Floppy wrote:
    There are limitations with the online service though. Your Weather Channel is limited to providing you with default weather from whatever North or South American country you have available for you to register against.

That's cool, they have better weather than us anyway.
  • m0thr4 2 Jan 2007 00:41:04 787 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bidermaier wrote:
    You can also get Wii points using a NTSC card. The good thing is that some online stores like videogameplus.ca email the codes.

I would love to change my PAL Wii for a NTSC one. The game list is longer, with games like elebits, exite truck and trauma center already available and the VC will have a better list and a with all the games running at 60hz 480p.

Fine for the Virtual Console games but, for some reason, the US version of Rayman Raving Rabbids only runs in 480i.

Edited by m0thr4 at 00:41:57 02-01-2007
  • ilmaestro 2 Jan 2007 00:45:29 32,537 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think I could ever recommend a region locked import console for a 9 year old. On the basis that you're going to have to be importing all the games for it from then on, I'd think hard about it.

I also can't see why you wouldn't be able to pick up a UK Wii between now and then, even PS2s were just about available on the shelves within that amount of time after launch and there were much bigger supply problems than with the Wii.

• ilmaestro 2 Jan 2007 00:45:47 32,537 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    haowan wrote:
    Floppy wrote:

:D

• theking316uk 2 Jan 2007 22:36:30 2 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    haowan wrote:
    Floppy wrote:

:D

actually its not a problem although your default weather is american you can simply move the globe to the UK to look at our lovely weather.

here is proof
    "The Forecast Channel was launched a few days ago, I was too lazy to give it a mention at the time, but here goes. Basically for importers like myself I can only set my country to the North American countries for the 'homepage' weather forecast. Still within seconds I can bring up the globe and spin around to Cambridge. It's like a mini Google Earth really. All very simple to navigate with the wiimote. - and + buttons zoom in and out of the globe and everything is very intuitive."

source mean machines here is a link including vid http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/wii/news/27/wii-internet-channel-opera-browser-and-forecast-channel.php
  • Venger 2 Jan 2007 22:41:00 159 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A good mate of mine (best man at my wedding) managed to get himself a job as a games tester for Nintendo - based in Germany.

He has imported consoles before he worked for Nintendo, and since he worked for Nintendo (he wanted to move back to England so got a job for Sony - also testing games, in this case for the PS3)

I dont know the intracacies of the weather channel etc but I think you only need a power convertor to play the thing.

I took his advise on importing a gamecube a few years back and just had to fork out for a coverter for about £25

Edited by Venger at 22:41:14 02-01-2007
  • Floppy 3 Jan 2007 08:58:22 92 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "actually its not a problem although your default weather is american you can simply move the globe to the UK to look at our lovely weather."

Yes that is very true you can do that, but is another of those little annoyances isn't it. Quite why they've put in a weather channel I don't know, when you can surf to far more detailed weather websites on the Opera browser :)
  • The_Aardvark 3 Jan 2007 10:17:35 3,063 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you do choose to import you'll have to get all your games from this site or similar.

You'll have to wait a week or two for delivery but they'll be about ten pounds cheaper for the most part, and often have earlier release dates.

I'm probably going to pick up a Wii for myself when I'm in the states next month. The only issue that's still worrying me is what cable I'll need to use to connect it to my TV.
  • bahferretboy 14 Feb 2007 17:27:43 2 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    oi oi, ive been looking for a forum like this for a while now.
    I have a UK wii and want to sell it, and get a US one instead.
    This is because my cube was american so the backwards compatibility feature is ruined for me. if i get an american one, ill be able to play all my cube games again.
    also, im not nay saying it, but so far the VC has been the biggest disappointment i could have expected. so few games, and so expensive.
    plus they dont even have megaman!

so im wanting to get a US wii but wasnt sure if id be able to play games like pokemon battle online?
    I dont mind if i cant use the wii shop or the VC or anything, im just curious about being able to get console updates and playing online.

Is it a yay? or a nay :|

i put my faith in you all! :p
  • Floppy 15 Feb 2007 12:01:44 92 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You and I are in the same position. I have a US Wii so I can play my US GC games on.

You'll still be able to play VC games with a US Wii over here. It'll be better than a UK one to be honest as you won't have the awful 50Hz versions with black borders and 17% speed reduction.

As for buying Wii Points, just set your NTSC Wii to 'Brazil' and buy using a UK credit card as normal. Brazil has the same credit card validation checks as the UK. Once that's done, change the country back to USA/Canada again, and associate your Nintendo.com account with it and all your games can then be registered too. Dip back and forth as you need to between Brazil/USA to buy more points. That saves having to import Points Cards in the post.

The only downer about the US Wii is that the Forecast and News Channels default to the registered country you're in. A minor annoyance, but there all the same.

Hope this helps.
  • KidIcarus 15 Feb 2007 20:33:14 9 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for that Floppy, that worked a treat!
  • bahferretboy 16 Feb 2007 12:33:52 2 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    heya floppy. i dont know off the top of my head if there are any online games out for the wii yet. But if there are, do you know if a US wii would be able to play games online while in the UK?
    Im sure it would, I cant think of any reason why it wouldnt. But I just wanna check before I delve in to this brave new world :p

Cheers man!!
  • Floppy 16 Feb 2007 14:41:21 92 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll be honest and say that I've no idea. I'm hoping so, bearing in mind you can play other people in other countries on 360 and DS games.
  • 22chris22 1 Apr 2008 09:42:15 2 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thank you so much!!! I am able to get a very cheap NTSC version of the wii here in the UK, and you have solved all my problems! Thank you !!!
  • 22chris22 1 Apr 2008 13:22:50 2 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ok, i understand everything of what you've said, except about the TV. I know I have to get a step down, and that my TV has to be able to take 60 Hz (for use with a converter) or that supports NTSC 3.58, do any of you guys know of any cheap (i.e. CRT) 17"+ TVs that fit the bill, because I am screwed other wise! PLease help!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next