Super Swing Golf / Pangya

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • TripSkyway 22 Dec 2006 14:51:53 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Despite a little moaning about the putting, I have been really enjoying the Wii Sports golf, and playing it a load. I got to the point where I started wishing there was a little more content and variety. So I went out and picked up Pangya, despite reading the luke warm review on Gamespot.

First impressions weren't to hot, textures are a bit blurry and the game doesn't appear to support wide screen (through my D4 connection). The cheery colourful design style is pleasant, but is a bit let down by technical shortcomings. The rather unnecessary cut scenes seem to slow down a bit, and the animation in these isn't too hot. Once you get into the game though the frame rate holds up fine, and the courses offer some nice environments to play in, though it can look rough around the edges.

The swing in Pangya is pretty different from the Wii Golf swing, falling somewhere between Wii Golf and the more traditional three click style approach. After lining up your shot using one of the fairly usable though not perfect cameras, you pull swing the the remote back . As you move the remote back, the on screen bar fills up/ and down dependant on the angle you hold the remote at. You can move the remote up and down as much as you want whilst you decide on the power, then press A and swing the remote forwards.

The speed of your swing doesn't seem to matter (I'll try to confirm this later), but rather how straight your swing is. Poor swings will result in the ball flying of to one side, and costing you power. I personally didn't really find this method nearly as fun as Wii Golf, and found myself missing Wii Sports' control method immediately. Pangya is also missing the rumble when you hit the ball and the noise from the remote, which when they are gone suddenly seem like such amazing features.

Apparently the game can be played with button presses instead of the remote swing technique but I haven't tried this yet.

Pangya does deliver on the content though with a load of customisable characters, courses, and game modes. Which is really the reason I wanted the game. Match play against the CPU delivers tension, and a bit more of a feeling of competition.
  • jimmied 22 Dec 2006 15:49:00 69 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this game out in england?

Jimmie
  • TripSkyway 22 Dec 2006 15:50:08 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't think so, US and Japan only so far I think.
  • jimmied 22 Dec 2006 15:53:27 69 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, was wanting a good game to get for the wii and none that are out at the mo seem to be interesting. I've got zelda, play and rayman and have played monkey ball. All are good(cept monkey ball, thats pap) and I hoped this was out today. ah well.
    whens it out?

Jimmie
  • rare_uk 22 Feb 2007 18:32:34 3,569 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This game got 8/10 in Games TM this month. Sounds like a goodun..

Wonder when, and if, it's out in the UK/Europe?

Edited by rare uk at 18:42:49 22-02-2007
  • DrDamn 8 Jun 2007 12:22:31 1,215 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So are we going to get a Euro release review of this on EG today, or do we have to rely on the US release one? That was a bit poor to be honest - concentrated far too much on comparissons to the PC version the reviewer was a big fan of without really covering swing mechanics properly and more importantly local multiplayer.
  • neil74 8 Jun 2007 13:45:19 2,306 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought it was released in the UK today too? Not looked in the shops yet.

I am going to get it as despite being un-reallistic looking the swing is apparently the most reallistic of the lot.
  • Murbal 8 Jun 2007 14:06:31 22,276 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Colleague had it turn up this morning.
  • richardiox 8 Jun 2007 14:16:39 5,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's in the shops today "budget" priced at 29.99.

Weird spread of pricing on Wii games at the moment. First PArty games like Strikers are 34.99 and yet games like Bust-a-Move and Mercury are full priced at 39.99. To put it into context, Mecury is the same price as Forza2.

I thought Nintendo told us that Wii games would be cheaper than the other "next gen" formats.
  • malteaserhead 8 Jun 2007 14:23:25 13,444 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed they do Ecosse
  • richardiox 8 Jun 2007 14:39:00 5,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    360 games often have a RRP of 49.99 but are commonly sold for 39.99 in stores. It seems like retailers are capitalising on the success of the Wii by charging full whack wherever they can. Which is fair enough I guess as so long as consumers are willingly paying 39.99 for bust-a-move there is no point in adjusting pricing.

To have a primitive games like Bust-A-Move or Cooking Mama for 39.99 whilst having sparkly, truly new games (not remakes) with HD resolutions and online play etc for the same price on the next shelf along is a fucking joke.
  • richardiox 8 Jun 2007 14:56:48 5,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    no 16:9 support

Nintendo both constantly amaze me in both positive and negative ways.

Their new approach to innovation and marketing being the former but things like not insiting on 16:9 support, over pricing games, Nintendo of Europe, embargoes on news of the big games, Paper Mario etc etc still reminding us why they fell from grace so hard in the 90s.

NINTENDO (of Europe). It is not 1995. We will not pay SNES Cartridge prices anymore. 39.99 for Cooking Mama, a DS port basically is a joke. Comparing like for like Cooking Mama vs Forza2 it is obvious what I'd choose as representing the best value and the most work poured into the product.

• DrDamn 8 Jun 2007 15:15:54 1,215 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    It seems like retailers are capitalising on the success of the Wii by charging full whack wherever they can.

Is it retailers or Nintendo? GC stuff never came down in price the same way other formats did either. It did take a year for 360 stuff to be generally discounted by shops though, and the PS3 stuff has largely followed suit due to the more direct comparisson.

However first party 360 and PS3 stuff you can get for very cheap in Asda/Tesco too. ~£33. The price consumers pay is the big thing and it has to be said a lot of Wii stuff is over priced or inconsistently priced across shops.

Nice to hear this is £30 though, but as mentioned lack of widescreen support is silly. I don't suppose they fixed that in the 6 months they took for a Euro release? I think an online version is in the works too - but obviously that will be another year before it makes it here :(.
  • richardiox 8 Jun 2007 15:33:19 5,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrDamn wrote:Is it retailers or Nintendo? GC stuff never came down in price the same way other formats did either.

I always attributed that just to the demand. GC had a low installed userbase compared to PS2. But in the case of Wii, Nintendo is now in a position where it has the greatest demand but either they, or retail, dont lower the prices accordingly.

Nintendo is anachronistic with its pricing and needs to fix up.
  • neil74 8 Jun 2007 19:12:25 2,306 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    does it not have widescreen then?
  • Sid-Nice 21 Jun 2007 01:19:39 15,851 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neil74 wrote:
    It's 480p with little black borders or big black borders on my TV.

The game isn't that bad; if a little slow to get into with the lack of being able to skip each characters little intro before each shot. Pangya is one of these games where you have to win all characters, bonuses and power-ups to get the best out of the game; the putting can be frustrating with little black or white dots showing the lie of the green, sometimes you have no idea which line of dots to choose.

The game should be called “Pangya” golf for perverts; with sexy Cecilia in her nurses’ uniform and little Hana in her bikini with camel toe and all.

NNID Sid-Nice

• malteaserhead 21 Jun 2007 09:20:26 13,444 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sid Nice wrote:
    The game should be called “Pangya” golf for perverts; with sexy Cecilia in her nurses’ uniform and little Hana in her bikini with camel toe and all.

back with a bang!
  • neil74 21 Jun 2007 09:28:44 2,306 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid Nice wrote:
    neil74 wrote:
    It's 480p with little black borders or big black borders on my TV.

borders all around or just top and bottom?

• DrDamn 22 Jun 2007 11:06:24 1,215 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Will depend on your TV. Over component at 480p "Widescreen" mode filled the screen fine. Circles were made a little flat but not noticably so.
  • Youthist 27 Jun 2007 12:33:37 10,021 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who has this? Is it any good? I thinking of buying. Whats the swinging and putting like? I loved Mario Golf, and I loved Swingerz / Ace Golf on the Cube.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Ayns 4 Jul 2007 10:33:51 9 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've enjoyed it a lot. The swing mechanism is decent, although the speed of the physical swing doesn't effect its' power. You just need to keep your wrists straight if you want to avoid a hook or slice. Apart from that it's standard golfing ala Everybody's Golf.
  • Machetazo 11 Apr 2008 19:55:33 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    June 27th er, July 4th, according to the official site for what's probably the sequel for Pangya Wii...Rising Star Games the publisher.
  • pinebear 11 Apr 2008 20:29:43 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Super Swing Golf is the Euro name for Pangya Golf isn't it?

We Love Golf looks good too, though the release date is still super vague - Amazon are the most precise with the optimistic "30 Dec 2008".

• Machetazo 11 Apr 2008 22:42:09 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now it is, lol! That's originally the US name, because locally the first Wii game was called (wait for it) "Pangya: Golf with Style!"
    So, I guess that RS figured that if they called it SSG2, they'd just confuse regular joe, who'd wonder where the first game was.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next