Best way to cook a Steak Page 3

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Psychotext 19 Dec 2006 17:30:45 55,067 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bivith wrote:
    If you like steak well done then you don't like steak.
    Not true at all, it's just that most people when they do "well done" seem to hear "dry hunk of nothingness" instead.
  • minkyqueen 19 Dec 2006 17:30:58 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    minkyqueen wrote:
    JayPee wrote:
    minkyqueen wrote:
    viral [deleted]
    How are the sainsbury's payouts anyway? :)

Heh :) I live opposite one, so I don't go anywhere else!
    Waitrose FTW.

/Starts supermaket flame-war. - Well it's about as justified as a console one right? I spend about as much or more as a 360 on food every quater.

Really?! That's not much! You could probably only afford a bag of peas from Waitrose then :p
  • Grunk 19 Dec 2006 17:31:45 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    first make sure you have decent bit of steak.

off the cows arse is what most butchers will go for, making sure it has enough fat in it to remain moist. throughout the cooking.

If you don't like it bloody and its a thick steak, then cut it in half and have two smaller steaks. Otherwise you can poach it first, but it has to be in a watertight roll (foil usually does the trick).

then in a hot pan sear it on both sides, and around the edges taking extra time and any lovely fatty bits. so they become crisp. Then turn the pan low and let it cook turning occaisionally until it feels right:

Gordon Ramsey's touch guide:

cheek = rare
    chin = medium
    forehead = well done.
  • minkyqueen 19 Dec 2006 17:33:02 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Grunk wrote:
    Gordon Ramsey's touch guide:

cheek = rare
    chin = medium
    forehead = well done.

That is brilliant.
  • Jeepers 19 Dec 2006 17:38:32 13,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a cracking rule of thumb (literally, in this case) for judging how well a steak is cooked. I found it really useful when I was learning how to sear cow flesh as a young 'un.

When wanting to know whether your steak is cooked rare, medium or well-done, use the following simple rule.

Take your left hand. Place your thumb on your first (pointing) finger. Press the fatty bit at the base of your thumb (where your thumb meets your palm) with your other pointy finger. That's how a rare steak should feel when you poke it.

Place your thumb on your middle finger (rude finger) and press the fatty bit of your thumb with the pointy finger of your other hand. That's how a medium steak should feel when you poke it.

Finally, place your thumb on your ring finger (hurk hurk) and press the fatty bit of your thumb with the pointy finger of your right hand. That's how a well done steak will feel when you poke it.

Y'see? Cooking tips so simple a student could follow 'em.
  • JimJam 19 Dec 2006 17:40:44 769 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Where was it that did those 28 day steaks? Sainsbury's I think, they're WELL worth the £5 a shot.

Sainsburys Jamie Oliver range is only 21-days old which is a bit rubbish in the grand scheme of things, but better than most stuff you can get. Just got back from the States, and a lot of the steaks are aged for a minimum of 30 days. Had a couple of 24oz ribeyes out there, and they were so tender, even though I had them very rare.

It helps that they can actually cook one properly. Whatever I ask for in an English restaurant it always seems to come out more like a medium rare than the blue I ask for, unless I go somewhere really decent.
  • Dirtbox 19 Dec 2006 17:44:42 79,220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    21 is it? It's not hard to leave em in the fridge for a week :)

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• markypants 19 Dec 2006 17:46:33 2,760 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bauhaus wrote:
    For some reason, if i cook a good meal my missis gets horny

Suits me

For some reason If I cook a meal my missus gets food poisoning.

Go figure.

Oh and the best way to cook steak is... Naked!! (maybe put a flannel over your mummy daddy button as you don't want to Simon Weston your bollocks)
  • bauhaus 19 Dec 2006 18:32:35 3,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RESULTS JUST IN!!!!

That was the best steak I`ve ever cooked, rather than broiled slowly into shoe leather it was soft, juicy and held tons more flavor than previous efforts. Hardly used the (english) mustard at all

Following the sage advice here, did 1 min per side at super temp then slowed it right down for the last few mins, it really, really made a difference!!

Wife agreed too, in fact, off for post meal shag after this smoke

Cheers guys
  • Dirtbox 19 Dec 2006 18:48:26 79,220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Word up.

Trust in the box.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Tiger_Walts 19 Dec 2006 18:55:58 16,632 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Word up.

Trust in the box.
    Other things to be in the box soon too by the sound of it.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Psychotext 19 Dec 2006 19:16:03 55,067 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eurogamer - Getting gamers sex through cooking since 2006.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2006 19:22:35
    I'd like everyone to know that I've just had a really good steak. Tescos Medallion steaks are very much recommended, as is the Worcestershire sauce + Salt/Pepper combination follwed by 1 minute on each side for 4 min.

Then some chips with paprika sprinkled on, some freash salad with coleslaw.

/satisfied
  • repairmanjack 19 Dec 2006 19:52:24 6,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bivith wrote:

If you like steak well done then you don't like steak.

Wipe its arse and chop the horns off?

Edited by repairmanjack at 19:52:45 19-12-2006
  • quantumsheep 19 Dec 2006 22:04:54 3,127 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get a nice steak - put some *good* pepper on it. Then a sprinkling of Oregano (Whooooooah momma! This, is the *good* shit!).

Cook in a griddle pan on medium heat for 2 minutes - turn over - add pepper and oregano as before. Cook for two minutes.

Turn over - leave for three minutes - turn over - leave for three minutes.

And you're done!

Well, that's how *I* like it! ;)

Must say, I'm not a great chef but I do make an effort! The Leith's cookbook looks awesome!

/puts on wish list

Edited by quantumsheep at 22:05:40 19-12-2006
  • Psychotext 19 Dec 2006 22:14:06 55,067 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and off the record I hate you all. I love cooking but I haven't had the chance to do it much lately cos I'm too busy with work. =(
  • Trowel 19 Dec 2006 22:25:51 18,090 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ate Chateaubriand at our work meal last weekend which is the tenderloin served medium rare. Best meat I've ever eaten, incredible flavour.
  • JimJam 19 Dec 2006 23:41:28 769 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    21 is it? It's not hard to leave em in the fridge for a week :)

:-D

Just remember to open the packaging first...

Trowel wrote:
    Ate Chateaubriand at our work meal last weekend which is the tenderloin served medium rare. Best meat I've ever eaten, incredible flavour.

I'd love to try a decent chateaubriand, but I've only ever seen it for two and my missus hates rare steak. Perhaps I should just be a greedy bastard !
  • quantumsheep 20 Dec 2006 00:59:15 3,127 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I once had an argentinian steak, sliced thinly but kept in its original shape (if that makes sense) and served with rice in a swanky japanese restaraunt in London.

The slices just fell away one by one as you ate - most amazing steak I ever ate...
  • FWB 20 Dec 2006 04:42:04 45,670 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Microwave it. Better still jam it inside the toaster.
  • FWB 20 Dec 2006 04:47:30 45,670 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As the leaves on the acorn trees outside my childhood home used to say, "If you aren't forcing it down your throat, its no fun."

Either way, cover it in toothpaste before you do it.

Edited by FWB at 04:48:51 20-12-2006
  • Sid-Nice 20 Dec 2006 04:57:11 15,851 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The secret of cooking the perfect steak is all down to sealing in the flavour. Whether you like your steak plain, peppered or whatever use a cast iron griddle pan or hot plate. Heat the pan until it is red hot and cook the steak for 2 minutes either side; this will seal in the flavour and keep the meat moist. You can reduce the heat and cook the meat to your liking.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Pike 20 Dec 2006 07:50:05 13,447 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    minkyqueen wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    minkyqueen wrote:
    If you want to get into it, I'd suggest picking up something like Olive magazine (you can get it in the supermarket) as you're bound to find something in there that's easy to make and pretty quick too.

I've tried showing cook books to my non-cooking friends, but they just get a little daunted and never get round to actually using the book. Perhaps the magazine approach is a little less intimidating.

Sainsbury's magazine is good too.
    That's probably not such a bad idea, I've never used a recipe, read a magazine (unless drooling at the pictures in the food section of the Guardian counts) or a cook book in my life. I think I'm at a level where I can probably understand what they're waffling on about now.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:21:25 19-12-2006

I get the impression you're quite a confident cook, so you might like Waitrose Food Illustrated. It's a bit more hardcore than Olive. Olive is quite fun though. And there's a good offer in there this month, 25% off your bill at a bunch of restaurants in January.

I'd go for something by Nigel Slater. Easily one of the best and most inspiring cook book writers I've read. You really get the impression that he loves food while reading his books and he never gets snobbish or excluding.
  • bivith 20 Dec 2006 10:39:31 2,466 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    bivith wrote:
    The worst thing about home cooking is the washing up!

We have a deal in our house. If one of us cooks, the other washes up.

There's a similar deal in my house. Whoever cooks, I wash up! :(
  • Load_2.0 20 Dec 2006 10:46:06 19,685 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bauhaus wrote:
    RESULTS JUST IN!!!!

That was the best steak I`ve ever cooked, rather than broiled slowly into shoe leather it was soft, juicy and held tons more flavor than previous efforts. Hardly used the (english) mustard at all

Following the sage advice here, did 1 min per side at super temp then slowed it right down for the last few mins, it really, really made a difference!!

Wife agreed too, in fact, off for post meal shag after this smoke

Cheers guys

Hurrah I like it when a plan comes together! And i like it when the forum comes through, it puts me in a festive spirit!

/Wanks.
  • afray 20 Dec 2006 10:47:28 2,251 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After this thread had a steak last night. Of course it was an hour and a half after the baked potatoes as we had a power cut and have an electric oven. :(

Still brilliant. Grilled some button mushrooms and halved cherry tomatoes in the same griddle pan - su-perb.

And the house still smelt of steak in the morning. :)
  • King_Cnut 20 Dec 2006 10:50:12 615 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Death_Is_Near wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    God my mouth is watering like a dolphin's minge
    /bookmarks ;D

Very good indeed.
  • King_Cnut 20 Dec 2006 10:51:42 615 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    minkyqueen wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    minkyqueen wrote:
    If you want to get into it, I'd suggest picking up something like Olive magazine (you can get it in the supermarket) as you're bound to find something in there that's easy to make and pretty quick too.

I've tried showing cook books to my non-cooking friends, but they just get a little daunted and never get round to actually using the book. Perhaps the magazine approach is a little less intimidating.

Sainsbury's magazine is good too.
    That's probably not such a bad idea, I've never used a recipe, read a magazine (unless drooling at the pictures in the food section of the Guardian counts) or a cook book in my life. I think I'm at a level where I can probably understand what they're waffling on about now.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:21:25 19-12-2006

I get the impression you're quite a confident cook, so you might like Waitrose Food Illustrated. It's a bit more hardcore than Olive. Olive is quite fun though. And there's a good offer in there this month, 25% off your bill at a bunch of restaurants in January.

I'd go for something by Nigel Slater. Easily one of the best and most inspiring cook book writers I've read. You really get the impression that he loves food while reading his books and he never gets snobbish or excluding.

I don't think you can beat The River Cottage Meat Book. Tells you every how and why when cooking meat.
  • warlockuk 20 Dec 2006 10:54:59 19,224 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AgentFosterGrant wrote:
    Burnt to a crisp or bloody as hell?
    Bloody as hell!

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 20 First / Last