Registered 10 years ago
    Tonight I'm going to have dinner here
  • terminalterror 4 Sep 2009 17:05:49 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    paul_haine wrote:

Which one?

I took my girlfriend to the Picadilly one for her birthday and it was very tasty indeed. She had a sirloin spiral cut marinaded in garlic for 2 days special thingy, and I went with a rump. So incredibly tender and tasty.

The Picadilly one has a nice touch where you go to a conceirge type desk on the ground floor, give your name and by the time you've got to the floor you were directed to, you get greeted by name. Classy.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Sep 2009 17:06:39 26,597 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like their chairs too.
  • paul_haine 4 Sep 2009 17:07:04 4,205 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    paul_haine wrote:

Which one?

I took my girlfriend to the Picadilly one for her birthday and it was very tasty indeed. She had a sirloin spiral cut marinaded in garlic for 2 days special thingy, and I went with a rump. So incredibly tender and tasty.

The Picadilly one has a nice touch where you go to a conceirge type desk on the ground floor, give your name and by the time you've got to the floor you were directed to, you get greeted by name. Classy.

I'm going to the Hampstead one. Then I'm going to the Everyman cinema across the road with its waitress service and sofas to watch District 9. And I'm even going with a girl! AWESOME!
  • Grunk 4 Sep 2009 17:10:26 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was meant to update on the smoking...

Got a small top rump joint,
    Brined it in a bowl in the oven at about 60 degrees to bring it up to temperature for 40 minutes (think it could have gone longer).

Put a good handful of Alder chips in the smoker (could probably have done with less) and smoked it on high heat for 6 minutes (pretty much perfect timing).

Sliced the joint. about 0.5cm of smoked depth and the rest nicely rare. Smokyness was nice, but a probably a bit too strong, so less chips next time.

Probably better to eat as thinly sliced carpaccio like as opposed to steak, but still very tasty.
  • terminalterror 4 Sep 2009 18:29:40 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I like their chairs too.

I love the sheer quantity of dead cow covering various bits of chairs, walls etc.
  • Onny 4 Sep 2009 18:34:58 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grunk wrote:
    I was meant to update on the smoking...

Got a small top rump joint,
    Brined it in a bowl in the oven at about 60 degrees to bring it up to temperature for 40 minutes (think it could have gone longer).

Put a good handful of Alder chips in the smoker (could probably have done with less) and smoked it on high heat for 6 minutes (pretty much perfect timing).

Sliced the joint. about 0.5cm of smoked depth and the rest nicely rare. Smokyness was nice, but a probably a bit too strong, so less chips next time.

Probably better to eat as thinly sliced carpaccio like as opposed to steak, but still very tasty.
    I imagine it would be very nice served fajita-style, sliced in a flatbread with salsa and sour cream.
  • localnotail 2 Oct 2009 17:37:56 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    /drools

/looks sadly at empty bank account

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• ronuds 2 Oct 2009 17:47:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks good. How much weight does a "serving" equal, though? Can't really tell if those prices are fair...
  • BinaryBob101 3 Oct 2009 03:03:30 24,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Works out to about an ounce per steak. Hardly the biggest portion in the world, however, Donald Russell's meat is supposed to be very, very good quality. I'd prefer twenty eight days hung though myself.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• skuzzbag 3 Oct 2009 09:37:59 5,727 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    I had a lovely romp this evening (along with some friends)

Tee!

I'm having a rump myself tomorrow. No fancy methods for me; just frying it 2 mins each side, peppering it, then leaving it to rest for 5 mins. \o/

mmmm Organic Angus can't be beat.
  • crashVoodoo 3 Oct 2009 23:54:39 4,018 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    just received arkham asylum from amazon for my birthday and it came with a donalrussel flyer in it ... wow the fillets looked awesome :-/

/dribbles excessively

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• localnotail 4 Oct 2009 00:52:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LOL I put the link in because of the flyer that was in the bf's FIFA box I think :D No, actually it was with a controller he bought from Amazon. Do you think it's just an Amazon-wide ad campaign or is it gamer specific? Could the canny people at Donald Russell have just seem this messageboard and thought... "Hmmm. Gamers like steak!".

I wonder what other forms for targeted advertising EG would seem to suit?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• BinaryBob101 25 Oct 2009 01:04:38 24,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just gone back in time.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• BinaryBob101 25 Oct 2009 01:08:09 24,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lexx is about to confirm that he really likes his steak cooked blue. Really blue. He thinks it's fucking lovely!

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Lexx87 25 Oct 2009 01:43:52 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can now confirm that I like steak blue. Really blue. Just brown on the outside and pretty much raw in the middle. It's fucking lovely.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Skorms-Boss 26 Oct 2009 14:53:42 347 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    I can now confirm that I like steak blue. Really blue. Just brown on the outside and pretty much raw in the middle. It's fucking lovely.

have you tried it raw?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare
  • Lexx87 26 Oct 2009 15:34:07 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My only worry is the gettng ill off it.

Speak the truth hussy!

• paul_haine 27 Oct 2009 09:00:06 4,205 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:

You're not going to get ill off of steak tartare.
  • Skorms-Boss 27 Oct 2009 09:07:04 347 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:

as long as it's a good cut then there's no danger, most places that serve it will give you lemon with it, the acid inside of the lemon will cook it.

It's good, I wouldn't order it all the time, but you can cross it off of your list of things to do before your dead!

N.B Don't have it in france, they normally serve horse meat.
  • Dirtbox 27 Oct 2009 09:08:14 79,191 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A protip from Floyd (RIP): Never put salt on meat unless it's been seared first.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Skorms-Boss 27 Oct 2009 09:54:31 347 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    A protip from Floyd (RIP): Never put salt on meat unless it's been seared first.

too true, it draws out all of the natural juices, turning the meat into a dried up old maid
  • Pike 27 Oct 2009 09:58:22 13,447 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Skorms-Boss wrote:

N.B Don't have it in france, they normally serve horse meat.

Nothing wrong with horse meat. It's usually excellent.

As for only salting after searing. Bullshit, more or less.
  • mrpon 27 Oct 2009 09:59:26 29,562 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh here we go, look Floyd did it and it didn't do him any harm........oh.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• crispyduckman 27 Oct 2009 10:15:47 1,889 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    +1 - take one thick fillet steak, oil the meat (LIGHT olive oil), season and fry on max heat in an oiled heavy frying pan for between 45 - 60 seconds each side. yums.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Deleted user 14 February 2010 19:09:48
    Ok, may as well throw it in here. I have a lump of topside beef in the oven. 890g. It said to cook it for an hour and a half - surely not?!! I've seared it for about 8 minutes and was thinking of taking it out of the oven after 30 minutes. I want it medium rare (girlfriend is scared of the thought of it being too rare). So what am I doing? An hour and a half or 30 minutes?
  • Khanivor 14 Feb 2010 19:18:11 41,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cook it for 30 minutes, take it out, cut it, see how well it is cooked.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2010 19:24:51
    Yeah going to. Just wanted a rough guide, don't want to be chopping it up every half hour.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2010 20:32:49
    I took it out after 25 minutes and it was cooked to absolute perfection. Fuck knows where that hour and a half came from. Absolutely bloody gorgeous, still got half of it left and it has beached us both.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last