of 13 First / Last

Previous
  • Lutz 15 Dec 2006 19:05:24 48,854 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    *ahem*

Well, the other one is knackered...

So...

Anyhow! Fable... well, I knew nothing of Fable before it came out, and loved it... and Halo 2 I swalled every single bit of hype tat was fired out by Bungie, and thought it could have been better (...)

So... Halo 3? I'm doing my level best to avoid all hype for it. So much that I'm not reading any news stories on it and I'm avoiding bungie.com

Still, hopes and dreams for Halo3? What are yours?

(Sorry for the cheeky way of circumventing the broken thread, but morriss and I will be happy. :)

Edited by Lutz at 19:07:54 15-12-2006
  • ronuds 15 Dec 2006 19:15:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah... I've been screwed over by the hype machine too many times to fall for it anymore.

I suspect H3 will be much the same as the previous 2, which certainly isn't a bad thing. It's also certainly not something to get overly excited over as I already know pretty much what to expect.

• Xerx3s 15 Dec 2006 19:23:18 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My hopes? That they end the story with the activation of the Halo's. What can I say, bad endings just pawn good endings.
  • Deleted user 15 December 2006 19:32:59
    Mm, I can definitely see where you're coming from. I'm really looking forward to Halo 3 but hate all the crappy hype that it's getting (as I ranted in the previous thread, the sort of drip-feeding of information that forces people to scrabble over the announcement of such minor details as a new gun, or vehicle). Also a few of the recent shots of it have disappointed, so that's another good reason to avoid them, as I'm sure it's going to be just great. :)
  • Deleted user 15 December 2006 19:41:47
    rotj wrote:
    Halo isn't like Final Fantasy, where each new game stands alone and they can chop and change the mechanics as they wish. Just give me the same game with each new iteration, plus a couple of suitable tweaks, minus the infuriating meddling. It's the story that I approach each new Halo for. Not for radicalisation of the gameplay, which is more or less fine as it is.

The irony of this is that some of the 'improvements' they're making in the third one will inevitably be changing some things back to how they were in the original - for instance, the inevitable return of the assault rifle (damn right too imo). Oh, and the return of an engine that feels solid, rather than popping textures in right in front of your eyes the whole damn time. :(

I can see your point but in some ways I think that if you want to make one game that tells a story over three chapters, each really shouldn't be a full-priced release. For instance, I find Valve's approach with the HL2 'episodes' entirely acceptable, but if they called them HL3 and 4, even if the main game was longer, I still think I'd feel a bit short changed.

That said, I can't really fault the 'If it ain't broke...' approach in Halo's case, and certainly if they'd just concentrated on delivering the first game's weapons/vehicles/AI/combat mechanics in a new, less repetitive and varied singleplayer experience, I wouldn't have been complaining.
  • TwistidChimp 15 Dec 2006 19:42:53 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really, really disliked the dilution of Halo 2 that came from the Arbiter missions. I understand why they did it, but for me, once you were asked to sympathise with the covenant, the MC missions just became less fun full stop. It sort of broke the suspension of disbelief that YOU were the chief, as it were. Also, what looked like it was going to be fantastic urban warfare on earth, turned into a brief corridor-a-thon, followed by incredibley similar levels to Halo1.

What i'd like to see for Halo 3 is a return to only playing from the MC's perspective (unlikely). And large scale, non corridor environments, I realise the levels in 1 were still corridor like, but they weren't as bad as 2 by a long shot. Thankfully it sounds like the levels in 3 are really going to be huge in places, with a good reliance on vehicles.

On that note, i'd like to see some of the vehicles that were promised for Halo 2. The different multi terrain wart hogs, and the skidoos etc.

Other than that I dont know, its hard to improve on the multi player of Halo 2, which was fantastic. Perhaps a better lobby system.
  • NewYork 15 Dec 2006 19:43:08 24,835 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Halo is the defining game of this generation.
  • Deleted user 15 December 2006 19:46:03
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    What i'd like to see for Halo 3 is a return to only playing from the MC's perspective (unlikely).

Really? That's a shame, it'll be a definite detractor for me. I didn't get why they did the arbiter stuff. It didn't add anything to the story for me other than confusion, and in many ways made the Chief a lesser character because the lions share of the plot focussed on the arbiter.

Plus he was a really rubbish character. I didn't give a toss whether the Covenant saved his life or tossed him in jail, frankly.
  • TwistidChimp 15 Dec 2006 19:48:03 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    What i'd like to see for Halo 3 is a return to only playing from the MC's perspective (unlikely).

Really? That's a shame, it'll be a definite detractor for me. I didn't get why they did the arbiter stuff. It didn't add anything to the story for me other than confusion, and in many ways made the Chief a lesser character because the lions share of the plot focussed on the arbiter.

Plus he was a really rubbish character. I didn't give a toss whether the Covenant saved his life or tossed him in jail, frankly.

Yeah, thats exactly how I felt about it. Unfortunatley, now they've started it, I dont see them dropping the Arbiters side of the story from 3.

Also can someone clear something up for me. In Halo 1, it was said again and again that the Covenant thought Halo was a weapon. Yet in 2, there was all that stuff about them thinking it would send them on a journey of some kind ? like they'd forgotten it was a weapon ? I'ts entirely probably i'm just remembering it wrong. Its been a while since I played 2 all the way through :)

Edited by TwistidChimp at 19:51:33 15-12-2006
  • Deleted user 15 December 2006 19:51:49
    rotj wrote:
    It's never sat well with me that Halo 2 split the Covenant up. I dunno, as TwistedChimp said, I liked it better in Halo when I was a super-soldier, leading humanity's charge against an unstoppable alien coalition determined to wipe us out of the universe. I am looking forward to Halo 3 like you wouldn't believe, but the prospect of fighting Brutes mainly, and having to be 'buddies' with the Elites frankly scares and dissapoints me.

It almost felt to me like they didn't give the war as it was enough time. It felt like the whole war was only properly just beginning (with it reaching earth), and then - bam! You're playing the arbiter, the Covenant are in a civil war, and earth is forgotten. I think as a twist on a fourth, or fifth instalment in the series to keep it all fresh it'd've made sense, but I felt like Halo 2 was to be a chance to play the Master Chief amidst a huge war on home turf, but it just wasn't. And that's mostly why I didn't like it as much as the first one.
  • ronuds 15 Dec 2006 19:52:12 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Definitely the lobby system in Halo 2 could be tweaked for 3. I don't know too many people who liked it. What scares me is that Bungie seemed to think it was the cat's pajamas and may not change the system for H3. And now that GoW implements something similar, we may be in for the same system as before. Maybe it's an MS thing?

They had better add online co-op, though. To not would be disgraceful.
  • Deleted user 15 December 2006 19:54:54
    rotj wrote:
    They needed to do as George Lucas did with Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back, and give us an insight into the Covenant, what drives them, what their beliefs are, their society, and so on. In that way, they are no longer just cookie-cutter "bwah-ha-ha!" bad guys, but have a real weight, sense, purpose and substance in the context of the overall narrative.

That's the thing though - I really didn't feel that worked. If anything it simply lessened the impact of fighting them because rather than terrifying, purposeful alien overlords-to-be, they came across as whining, scheming popliticians.

It doesn't always benefit the narrative to demistify or add depth to a character or race; sometimes they're more terrifying left as a unknown. Just look at what happened to the Borg when Star Trek: Voyager got it's hands on them!
  • ronuds 15 Dec 2006 20:00:27 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would suggest more of a LoTR approach. We get glimpses into their world, but we don't have to play the characters or see much other than them being evil and scheming.
  • oceanmotion 15 Dec 2006 20:01:27 16,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Definitely the lobby system in Halo 2 could be tweaked for 3. I don't know too many people who liked it. What scares me is that Bungie seemed to think it was the cat's pajamas and may not change the system for H3. And now that GoW implements something similar, we may be in for the same system as before. Maybe it's an MS thing?

They had better add online co-op, though. To not would be disgraceful.

I think one of the biggest reasons Halo 2 is so popular on Xbox Live is because of the online system. You log in, pick a playlist and off you go in a minute. It was so simple and easy to use. All they are doing now is adding a function to search for custom games which a lot of people whined about last time and no doubt other stuff. So its looking good again. I wonder how they get round the standbyers because they can still lag the game deliberately to win. Fingers crossed they have a solution.

Anyway, Bit of news on the Miranda Keyes front

TVGuide.com: Are you all done with your voice work for the Halo 3 video game?
    Benz: You know what? I am actually not a part of Halo 3. I was informed a couple of weeks ago that they are actually changing the voice of Captain Miranda Keyes, and giving her an accent.

TVGuide.com: Are you serious?! What kind of an accent?
    Benz: I have no idea. [Laughs] They didn't even entertain the idea of having me do it, so... I was very sad. I was very sad. I had such a great time doing Halo 2.

I didn't care for her character at all so change is welcome.

• Deleted user 15 December 2006 20:01:53
    More Earth battles this time please. The first 3 levels of Halo 2 rocked, but it went downhill the moment it went all corridor shooting in some weird alien ship again.
  • Deleted user 15 December 2006 20:10:52
    I dunno. I just wish they weren't so fixated on delivering such a massively narrative-heavy experience. Playing from the Master Chief's point of view and only seeing and hearing what he experiences of the war, giving it a more 'real' and compelling feel, with the Covenant a genuine unknown until they launch their next assault, sounds far more appealing to me.

I just thought Halo was better when it seemed happy being slightly campy space opera. As soon as it got delusions of grandieur and started introducing all the political crap I started to get bored. Pretty much the same as Star Wars, in fact.
  • morriss 15 Dec 2006 20:11:33 71,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    *ahem*

Well, the other one is knackered...

So...

Anyhow! Fable... well, I knew nothing of Fable before it came out, and loved it... and Halo 2 I swalled every single bit of hype tat was fired out by Bungie, and thought it could have been better (...)

So... Halo 3? I'm doing my level best to avoid all hype for it. So much that I'm not reading any news stories on it and I'm avoiding bungie.com

Still, hopes and dreams for Halo3? What are yours?

(Sorry for the cheeky way of circumventing the broken thread, but morriss and I will be happy. :)

Happy!!??!! I said I was going to create and new thread and everyone said, "Don't do it morriss!"

Bah!

:)
  • The-Bodybuilder 15 Dec 2006 20:14:15 14,439 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rumours are you're gonna play 65% of the game as a flood.

YEEEAAAHHHHH!!!
  • morriss 15 Dec 2006 21:57:15 71,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    [code]Bungie Weekly Update
    Posted by Frankie at 12/15/2006 10:47 AM PST

Without power to the Bungie building, I can't post a Mister Chief. I am writing this from a coffee shop, the only building in a ten block radius with power. As a result, it looks like a refugee camp. The manager is a Halo fan though, so he probably won't kick me out, as long as I keep promising to de-nerf the pistol.

This week got a little mental, when some of our friends in Belgium "revealed" that a documentary feature would be on Xbox Live Marketplace next week, and "reveal" that the Brutes were playable characters in Halo 3. Well, they're not playable characters.

The fact is, Brutes in Halo 3 will be significantly more exciting, clever, graphically impressive, terrifying, numerous and angrier than in Halo 2, but they won't be playable, especially since you, in the role of Master Chief, will be spending a significant amount of effort and ammunition reducing their population.

The documentary mentioned on the interwebs, does indeed exist, as I have mentioned before in previous updates. We're keeping the exact contents as a kind of holiday surprise for the faithful, and you'll be able to see the entire thing in 720p and surround sound some time next week. It's a very interesting piece. especially if you're interested in Campaign mode.

And if you don't have an Xbox 360, don't panic. We love you, and we're going to ensure that everyone gets to see it next week. Just know that the 360 version will have the best resolution for pausing, staring at something and saying, "Is that what I think it is!?"

Anyway, sorry I can't tell you more about that today, but then, that IS the point of a surprise, right? Even if those chocolate-munching, Tin-Tin reading, waffle-snarfing Belgians are just too excited to keep a lid on it.

One other note - we made it to the Penny Arcade Child's Play auction on Wednesday, a charity auction to raise money for Children's Hospitals, and one attended largely by video game folks, who gave generously of prizes and cash to raise money for an excellent cause.

Congratulations to the Penny Arcade guys for raising literally hundreds of thousands of dollars, and congratulations to the successful bidders on the Bungie items, one of which was a chance to have a voice-over appearance in Halo 3. The winner of that bid was a surprise to us, and probably a pleasant surprise to you guys. More news about who the deep-pocketed community-favorite is, at a later date.

[/code]
  • ilmaestro 15 Dec 2006 23:08:24 32,534 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But do I want to watch the doc and potentially learn stuff about campaign mode that I'd rather find out once I'm playing?

• morriss 16 Dec 2006 00:47:15 71,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    But do I want to watch the doc and potentially learn stuff about campaign mode that I'd rather find out once I'm playing?
    Bungie 'won't' reveal anything vital to the plot, and will always leave you plenty to find out for yourself.

Getting a peak at a level design and some gameplay, will probably only lead to more questions rather than give answers.

I can't wait for it. :)
  • matrim83 16 Dec 2006 06:34:24 5,597 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    [code]Bungie Weekly Update

The manager is a Halo fan though, so he probably won't kick me out, as long as I keep promising to de-nerf the pistol.

[/code]
    :D
    [code]

The fact is, Brutes in Halo 3 will be significantly more exciting, clever, graphically impressive, terrifying, numerous and angrier than in Halo 2, but they won't be playable, especially since you, in the role of Master Chief, will be spending a significant amount of effort and ammunition reducing their population.

[/code]
    I honestly hope that clever is the key word there. I still would prefer if we fought the elites for most of the game. The reason the Arbiter sections were a bit weak from purely combat perspective was mainly due to the fact that you mostly fought brutes and mostly had access to Covenant weaponry IMHO. Mix and match weapons FTUMFW.

Valar morghulis.

• Deleted user 16 December 2006 08:26:03
    matrim83 wrote:
    I honestly hope that clever is the key word there. I still would prefer if we fought the elites for most of the game. The reason the Arbiter sections were a bit weak from purely combat perspective was mainly due to the fact that you mostly fought brutes and mostly had access to Covenant weaponry IMHO. Mix and match weapons FTUMFW.

Too damn right. The covenant weapons have always lacked the ferocity of the marine ones, and it pissed me off having to use them on their own.

Was chatting to a guy from Bungie last night (guy who used to work at our place - I get these perks now and again ;)) and apparently they completely acknowledge that the Halo 2 campaign was a bit of a mess. A good thing, as at least it means we're in with a shot of them focusing Halo 3 on purely the Chief. He wouldn't talk about Halo 3 directly at all, unfortunately...:(
  • Pob 16 Dec 2006 11:14:43 680 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good to hear nekotcha :)

Personally I was a little disappointed with Halo 2 until the first arbiter level, then I started to enjoy it more. I quite enjoyed playing as him, being able to cloak was a bonus. I kept trying to cloak when I was the chief again, couldn't help myself :)
  • SlackMaster 16 Dec 2006 11:48:13 3,134 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was a bit of a bum tho that they kicked the Elites out in favour of the Brutes... I really enjoyed fighting the Elites cos they were quite tough and had reasonable AI on higher difficulty levels.
  • BartonFink 16 Dec 2006 11:57:52 35,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    [code]The fact is, Brutes in Halo 3 will be significantly more exciting, clever, graphically impressive, terrifying, numerous and angrier than in Halo 2, but they won't be playable, especially since you, in the role of Master Chief, will be spending a significant amount of effort and ammunition reducing their population.[/code]

please let it be so. By all means give us the Arbiter story but I really don't want to play as him again. Like Lutz I have been trying to avoid Halo 3 threads and hype and am avoiding the Bungie site only checking in to see if there is any news on Halo Wars.
  • ilmaestro 16 Dec 2006 12:01:19 32,534 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Bungie 'won't' reveal anything vital to the plot, and will always leave you plenty to find out for yourself.

Getting a peak at a level design and some gameplay, will probably only lead to more questions rather than give answers.

You have assuaged my fears, thanks.

/goes back to biting nails in anticipation

• morriss 16 Dec 2006 12:19:43 71,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:

You have assuaged my fears, thanks.

/goes back to biting nails in anticipation
    I'll proof-watch it for you, my leige.

If there is poison to be found there-in, I'll gladly digest it in your honour.

Edited by morriss at 12:19:59 16-12-2006
  • ilmaestro 16 Dec 2006 12:23:37 32,534 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like a deal.

/realizes he could have tried to find a more medieval character type way of responding

• morriss 16 Dec 2006 19:33:26 71,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Save and replay your multi-player matches in Slow-mo?!?!

:)
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous