Wii FAQ

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous
  • morriss 13 Dec 2006 10:59:58 70,771 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In doubt about something? Need help? Feel like a noob and only EG can save you?

Post all your Wii questions in this one, huge, open-all-hours mega-thread.

No question is too small, too insignificant. Niether is any question too technical, too extreme.

Our talent group of EG'ers (well, frod basically) are here to serve YOU!

NOTICE: THE WII ONLY WORKS WITH 64/128 ENCRYPTION SO IT SEEMS

So, the Questions so far.

Mapster asked: Can I play VC titles with a Wavebird?
    1337 forumite answer: Yes...and the classic controller. Wavebird can do Gamecube stuff though.

TripSkyway asked: ...is there a reason why only three of my remote's LEDs would flash? Or is it bust, my manual is in Japanese.
    1337 forumite answer: you can see your battery level by pressing the home button normally, they're lined up on the bottom. I'm guessing it's battery level though.

FairgroundTown asked: How long does it take to setup? I got mine thru today, and we were thinking of setting it up in the conference room at lunch time - we have 1 hour! Can it be done?
    1337 forumite answer: you'll need one person on plastic packaging removal duty (there is a LOT) and one person on setup duty to speed it up. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so, make sure you have a composite video input on whatever you're using for a screen.

pjmaybe asked: Genuine question for owners.

Does the Wiimote that comes with the console come with a "wired" component so you can just plug the thing into the console if need be? (Not that you'd need to but if your batteries die and you're stuck, it would be nice to have the option).

I noticed the Wiimote I had with Wii Play didn't have a wire.
    1337 forumite answer: Nope. No plug-in option.

Mapster asked: When will Opera be released for download and how much (if anything) will it cost?
    1337 forumite answer: very soon (no date)/free download until june (yes it is free for life if you get in before june)

Kay asked: VC question - do the downloaded games come with manuals, or any other sort of basic instructions?
    1337 forumite answer: Yup, press home button, all have a very good set of instructions.

Mapster asked: Can I use a USB keyboard with the Wii to type messages instead of pointing slowly at letters with the wiimote?
    1337 forumite answer: No.

MisterFalseName asked: Is there a way of seeing total time on games, rather than just the day's worth?
    1337 forumite answer: No, not possible currently.

mouse asked: Is anyone else gettin their arse regularly handed to them in Wii Sports by non-gamers?
    1337 forumite answer: My wife and 7 year old daughter is whooping my ass everytime on tennis...My wife a the legendary "Button masher"...

wii.wii asked: Anyone tried to play Wii boxing yet and managed to not let-go of the controller?
    1337 forumite answer: I've not had any trouble keeping hold of the controller in anything.

Magic Panda Wrote: Can you back up Gamecube saves from a Gamecube memory card onto an SD card?
    1337 forumite answer: Sadly not, the memory card operations are limited to the gamecube's.
    It's bloody annoying.

morriss wrote: What are the differences bewteen Zelda TP on the Wii and GameCube? Is there a definitive list?
    1337 forumite answer: - Left / Right Mirrored World
    - 16:9 on the Wii, 4:3 on the Cube
    - Controls
    - 480p Support

morriss wrote: Virtual Console Question: I can't play these games with the Wii-Mote, can I? So that means I'll have to buy a controller, or can I use my old GC one? Or are the new Wii-controllers teh sechs?
    1337 forumite answer: The games indicate (in the shop) which controllers you can use. Quite a few (which used few buttons, so mostly NES, MegaDrive and TurboGrafx games) work with only the Wiimote, the other options are using a Gamecube controller (which works with just about anything I've seen, but has a crappy (smallish) D-Pad) or the VC Controller.

and...

You can play the NES ones with the Wiimote. The ones which require more buttons you can either use the Wii Classic Controller or a GC pad (including the Wavebird).

I've not used the Classic Controller yet, but it has had very good write ups. They're not easy to get right now, like a lot of the Wii accessories...

GafferTaped asked: Question - how can I register my Wii (for pointage), as I didn't do it during the first setup?
    1337 forumite answer: Wasn't there a PIN / Nintendo VIP card in the box (near the manuals). Enter that on Nintendo Europe's homepage.

deem asked: What memory card will I need?
    1337 forumite answer: It'll take SD cards up to 2GB in size. I wouldn't have thought you'd need one right away though.

deem asked: Also, I'll be setting it up for the first time at my parents house, on their Wireless network - can anyone foresee any problems with then getting back to ours and getting things up and running on my home network?
    1337 forumite answer: It allows three different wifi configurations to be saved in the same way the DS does so theoretically it should be a breeze - one config for your parents hourse, one for your own.

deem asked: Also, their wireless network is via a software base station on an Airport card in my dads G4 - do Wii talk as nicely to that as my DS does to my Airport Express router/network?
    1337 forumite answer: I'm not sure. Sounds like it should be ok but not 100% on that I'm afraid. Do you know if the signal from the card reaches to the telly area? My main worry would be its not as powerful as a hardware base station signal.

Mapster asked: How the jimmy cricket to I get back to the wii dash after playing a GC game without switching the console off?

deem asked: I just put a DVD in my wii, and it couldn't read it. :(

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    1337 forumite answer: They took out the DVD playback a few months back, just in case you didn't know.

brokenkey wrote: What range are you getting from the sensor bar? My remote loses contact at 7 feet - and the sofa is 8 from the telly. I've had to place the bar on the wii's box in the middle of the room.
    1337 forumite answer: i get about 20 to 25 feet in sheer darkness, with lights on it's down to about 12 - 15 depending on how bright the lights are

Futaba asked: I was looking at the internet options, and they looked they same as the DS ones... It even had the "Nintendo USB Wifi Connector" option =O Will this mean the one I bought for my DS will work for the Wii? And will it work from the pc upstairs to the wii downstairs?

Help please...
    1337 forumite answer: Yes the USB WiFi adaptor works for both the DS and the Wii. It will work between the PC and Wii no bother so long as they're within range of each other (should be ok upto 100m at least with no obstacles in the way)

groovemeister asked: OK, this has been mildly discussed in another thread but only a touch. So... the Xbox 360 can be modded to get US games for its virtual console.

Can anyone see this being possible for the Wii? Getting it changed to connect to the US servers is one thing to be done, and I know you'll need US Wii points which I'm more than happy to buy if it means I can get 60Hz games, as well as that it'll also depend on if the game is technically NTSC or if the mod can convert it, etc... but if the Xbox can do it, surely the Wii can?
    1337 forumite answer:

The 360 doesn't get "modded", you just open a US Live account. This doesn't happen with the Wii because you don't have accounts on it - you have one account that is tied to your machine's region. So no. No. No.

and...

I have seen sites that describe the Wii Viper modchip, but haven't looked into buying one yet and can't tell you whether or not it is a hoax.

Apparently, it will let you play any compatible roms with the existing Virtual Console emulators, although I have no idea how.

deem asked: Anyone know if you can play Gamecube games using the classic controller?
    1337 forumite answer: Nope. Actual Gamecube controllers (including Wavebird) only. :(

Kay asked: Really, really noobish question but - what exactly is the component cable? Is it only worth bothering with if you have a HD telly?
    Answer: If you have component inputs then you have answered your own question.

ilmaestro asked: How do you charge the batteries for the Wii remote if you can't connect it to the machine?
    Answer: You don't.

Unless you buy a battery charger and some rechargeable batteries.

This product is on the way from Joytech. The image looks suspiciously like there is a USB lead out the back that I would presume gets plugged into the Wii USB port - which is less than ideal to say the least.

Carlo wades in with:Not sure if anyone's asked this but here's an answer to the 'which cable should I use?' question.

3 types of cable: Composite (comes with the wii), RGB SCART, and Component. All Official Nintendo ones.

My impressions are based on using a Sony 32" Bravia HDTV. I can authoritively compare image quality with a PS2 and an XBox 360 on the same TV.

1. Composite. Fine for games, blurry for Web Browsing but usable if you're up close. If you have no choice on your TV then you have no choice. No visible difference if you plug it in via the 3 leads directly or via the SCART converter. Sure some geek'll tell you otherwise, but it looks the same. No progressive scan with this cable.

2. RGB Scart. Noticable improvement (you can actually see the jaggies in Zelda for example :) ) over composite and a good choice if you can use it on your TV. Browser is better, but not faultless! No progressive scan with this cable.

3. Component. Best option if you can use it but not a HUGE difference over RGB SCART when comparing the visible difference from Composite over RGB SCART. The only cable that supports progressive scan (480p). Web Browsing is still less than perfect compared to my VGA connected Media Center. Suspect scaling issues with the Sony but cannot confirm this as I couldn't find the Bravia manual to check native resolutions.

It's better than the PS2, but IMO not as good as SCART (ie low res) 360 and certainly not even close to 720p 360 output.

Web browsing is possible, but tiring on the eye.

Kay asked:Kay wrote:
    Actually, talking of batteries - has anyone actually used rechargeable batteries on the remotes? According to the manual the remote only takes alkaline batteries, and not rechargeables (good job I noticed that before I bought a battery pack).
    Answer:I use rechargeable batteries on the remotes and they work well.
    They don't last as long as normal batteries, I would suppose that you have to subtract about a fifth of the running time of the remotes when using them.
    You should buy NiMH rechargeables as they do not suffer from the memory effect and remember to buy at least two more than you have remotes so that you always have a pair of backups.

Vroom! wrote:Where did the excellent looking wii orchestra go?
    Answer: Wii Music is TBD '07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Music

Brokenkey asksIs it possible to make a game auto start when inserting the disk -eg for when playing gamecube games and can't be arsed to get the wiiremote out?
    Answer:no, although you can move the pointer using the analogue stick on the classic controller at least, not sure if it's the same with the Gamecube controller.

Does anyone know if there are any limits on the wireless encryption? For some reason, the Wii is not accepting my 256 WEP key. Of course, it is possible that I've copied it down wrong, but it was a direct C&P from my router.....
    Answer:My understanding was that it only worked with a 128 bit WEP key. Will your router do this? (It doesn't make much difference in practice to the security - if someone wants "in" to your wireless network they will get "in" - they are inherently insecure!)

Carlo asked: How can I adjust the volume of the wii's remote?
    Answer: Hold the home button on the remote during a game, and press either - or + to adjust. You've got to go to the controller settings first.

Carlo asked:Err, definately can't import a game from the USA and play it on a Euro wii?

Is that ALL games, or just some?

What about hardware (remotes, nunchucks etc)?

Elebits and SuperSwing Golf is out in the USA you see :S
    Answer:No region free stuff at all, alas. But hopefully there'll be a freeloader equivalent sooner rather than later.

wobbler147 asked: Anyone using one of these for cube games on the Wii or should I get an original controller/wavebird?
    Answer: By a used original. Or an unused original.
    Whatever you do, do not buy that abomination.

BurnoutJunkie wrote:Anyone got the RGB scart cable? If so, can you play enabled game slike Red Steel in full widescreen mode through it (without vertical black bars on the sides)?
    Answer: Yes you can mate.

Edited by morriss at 11:11:25 14-01-2007
  • THFourteen 13 Dec 2006 11:01:24 31,849 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yet another wii thread ;)
  • TWIGishere 13 Dec 2006 11:02:25 249 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A good idea in theory, but will it work?
  • wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:02:25 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why do you look like something in Grim Fandango?
  • morriss 13 Dec 2006 11:02:45 70,771 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hopefully his one will decimate all the others. So many 'help' thread atm. I though this could hopefully encompass them all.
  • TripSkyway 13 Dec 2006 11:05:47 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wii.wii wrote:
    Why do you look like something in Grim Fandango?
    Cor, when did that recent forum activity thing in profiles appear? That's ace.

I'd like to play Grim Fandango.

EDIT: Thought of a Wii question, is there a reason why only three of my remote's LEDs would flash? Or is it bust, my manual is in Japanese.

Edited by Trip SkyWay at 11:08:58 13-12-2006
  • wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:13:34 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think the activity thing happened today!...might have been an update lastnight that caused the forum to crash?

Grim fandango was cool...hated the bit in the forest whith the spinning tree thing and the wheel-barrow!...
    Ermmm

Anyone know where i can buy a decent router?(CBA googling!)
  • Tonka 13 Dec 2006 11:25:55 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Set you routers to channel No 1.
    Good site

Anyone else have a component cable and VC games?

Thius thread is a good idea but will it work? It would require some dedicated member to create a EG Wii FAQ out of it.

/hides behind some one lse

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• morriss 13 Dec 2006 11:27:48 70,771 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Basically, if you have a question about the Wii ask it here instead of creating a new thread and cluttering up the front page with, "How long do the batteries last?" and "How do I open the box?" etc.

I doubt it'll work as people want their questions answered asap and the best way to gain attention is to create a new thread, but you can't blame a guy for trying, eh?
  • wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:30:54 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good idea...but can use the search bar at the top ^^^^^ for specific things..

Should have entitled it Wii FAQ's
  • wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:31:35 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Can I play VC titles with a Wavebird?

Apparently you can...not tried cos can't get online yet :(
  • TripSkyway 13 Dec 2006 11:31:43 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know what my Wii only flashing three of the LEDs on the remote means? Battery, or bust?

Edited by Trip SkyWay at 11:32:25 13-12-2006
  • wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:34:12 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trip SkyWay wrote:
    Anyone know what my Wii only flashing three of the LEDs on the remote means? Battery, or bust?

Edited by Trip SkyWay at 11:32:25 13-12-2006

Try to re-sync?
  • FairgroundTown 13 Dec 2006 11:34:28 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How long does it take to setup?

I got mine thru today, and we were thinking of setting it up in the conference room at lunch time - we have 1 hour! Can it be done?
  • wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:35:07 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    sorry to post another forums link but...

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-hardware/5520-faulty-wii-hardware-issues-4.html
  • Tonka 13 Dec 2006 11:35:26 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    frod wrote:
    Mapster wrote:

Yes!

Each game tells you which controller(s) you can use. Wavebird is the only one that can do everything.

And the classic controller

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:35:39 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:

I got mine thru today, and we were thinking of setting it up in the conference room at lunch time - we have 1 hour! Can it be done?

Hell yeah...did mine in around 10-15 minutes
  • FairgroundTown 13 Dec 2006 11:37:16 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    frod wrote:
    FairgroundTown wrote:

you'll need one person on plastic packaging removal duty (there is a LOT) and one person on setup duty to speed it up. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so, make sure you have a composite video input on whatever you're using for a screen.
    Well, I think there are about 20 volunteers, so...
  • King_Cnut 13 Dec 2006 11:38:11 615 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    someone mentioned their "Wii age". I haven't noticed this yet, what is it?
  • TripSkyway 13 Dec 2006 11:38:13 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    frod wrote:
    Trip SkyWay wrote:
    you can see your battery level by pressing the home button normally, they're lined up on the bottom. I'm guessing it's battery level though.
    It's when its connecting after I turn it on. Just switched the batteries over on my remotes, and it is the battery level, a nice touch.
  • wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:38:23 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    frod wrote:
    FairgroundTown wrote:

you'll need one person on plastic packaging removal duty (there is a LOT) and one person on setup duty to speed it up. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so, make sure you have a composite video input on whatever you're using for a screen.
    Well, I think there are about 20 volunteers, so...

They just want 1st go....use em to unwrap and set-up then say "thanks" and ignore them!!
  • pjmaybe 13 Dec 2006 11:38:47 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Genuine question for owners.

Does the Wiimote that comes with the console come with a "wired" component so you can just plug the thing into the console if need be? (Not that you'd need to but if your batteries die and you're stuck, it would be nice to have the option).

Peej
  • morriss 13 Dec 2006 11:39:02 70,771 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    frod wrote:
    Mapster wrote:

Yes!

Each game tells you which controller(s) you can use. Wavebird is the only one that can do everything.

And the classic controller
    Great news! I've still got a 2 classic GC controllers.
  • wii.wii 13 Dec 2006 11:39:20 156 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:

Peej

No...I doubt there would be a market for an add-on either tbh...

I got 20 batteries for 1 from poundland and they are Duracell!

Edited by wii.wii at 11:40:27 13-12-2006
  • King_Cnut 13 Dec 2006 11:39:42 615 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:

Peej

Nope. No plug-in option.
  • pjmaybe 13 Dec 2006 11:40:34 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmmm...

Oh well - damn I knew I should've nabbed some of those cables from the Wii event :)

Peej
  • rock27gr 13 Dec 2006 11:41:55 5,424 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wii.wii wrote:
    Good idea...but can use the search bar at the top ^^^^^ for specific things..

Should have entitled it The Official Wii FAQ's

fixed :)

Edit:
    Fixed the fixed part!! o_O

Edited by rock27gr at 11:42:52 13-12-2006
  • Kay 13 Dec 2006 11:44:49 17,407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    VC question - do the downloaded games come with manuals, or any other sort of basic instructions?

K
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous