Far Cry

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • jaffacake 11 Dec 2006 14:27:34 986 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now available on budget label for £9.99.

Is this worth a buy?

I borrowed a copy of this ages ago but couldn't get into it and returned it. I just ended up starting off, hearing some soldier shout "get him" and then getting stuck.

I know it's harder than most FPS, but is it worth battling through? Does it get a little more original as you get into it?
  • Kay 11 Dec 2006 14:35:06 17,905 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've only played a bit, but it's probably worth £10. My brother completed it last year and he loved it. If you can run it high settings it looks absolutely beautiful, especially with the latest patch.

FEAR is also £10 I see, played and completed that and it's great.

K
  • SirScratchalot 11 Dec 2006 14:37:13 7,874 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When you're standing on top of an island mountain plateau sniping people riding boats by the beach and then jumping a Jeep of said mountain you'll see what the fuss was about.
  • El_MUERkO 11 Dec 2006 14:38:24 17,050 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    the first half of farcry is great but then it becomes frustratingly hard

on a decent machine with everything set to highest it looks stunning and is worth a buy just to mess around in
  • jellyhead 11 Dec 2006 14:48:05 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup, it's a great game, the first half as has been said is really worth experiencing but then it just gets more formulaic towards the end.
    Sometimes i'd be on my way to a checkpoint and i'd walk over the crest of a ridge and just *have* to take a screenshot, it's that gorgeous at times also huddling in bushes with several mercenaries hunting you was quite tense and it's great fun clearing a firefight only to notice that there's some barrels and structures you could have used. you reload and go once more with props. :)

Ending sucked but i enjoyed my time there for sure.

edit: slight hijack but is FEAR worth playing on my A64 3k, 9800 pro, 1gb ram?

Edited by jellyhead at 14:49:20 11-12-2006

This signature intentionally left blank.

• jaffacake 11 Dec 2006 17:53:49 986 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My concern is that nobody seems able to say the game is good without mentioning how good it looks.

Ah well, it's only a tenner...maybe a stocking filler for myself :)
  • StixxUK 11 Dec 2006 18:03:04 7,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Far Cry is worth playing as everyone says, just to see what it's all about and mess around in the jungle, but it's not IMHO a great game. I rate Half Life 2 over both FEAR and Far Cry personally.
  • jaffacake 11 Dec 2006 18:05:02 986 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Far Cry is worth playing as everyone says, just to see what it's all about and mess around in the jungle, but it's not IMHO a great game. I rate Half Life 2 over both FEAR and Far Cry personally.

Maybe I'll put the £10 on some lottery tickets instead.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Dec 2006 18:06:17 35,606 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jaffacake wrote:
    My concern is that nobody seems able to say the game is good without mentioning how good it looks.

Nah, it's good. Huge, non-linear levels, good AI that's fun to play cat and mouse with (unlike Half-Life 2's), it's mainly just the B-movie presentation and the monsters that are annoying.

Definitely one of the top shooters of the last few years.

Edited by UncleLou at 18:06:46 11-12-2006
  • silentbob 11 Dec 2006 18:07:16 28,976 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Although if I'm being honest, I don't think I'd bother without the visuals in tip top condition. LOD popping was hellish at lower detail settings.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Phattso Moderator 11 Dec 2006 18:09:44 13,351 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Far Cry is one of the best shooters ever made, and is a game I still go back to from time to time. The AI was very good, but the thing that made the game for me was the vast (within reason) sandbox environment with vehicles you can switch between at will.

Yes, the graphics were (and are) stunning. But they're not cutting edge any more, and I still play the game, so that should tell you something.

That said it's a game that divided opinion, and you already seem ambivalent towards it, so perhaps it wouldn't be a wise purchase for you. Put the tenner in a high interest savings account and buy Crysis when it's release. ;-)
  • Deleted user 11 December 2006 18:16:32
    jaffacake wrote:

I play it on low settings (mainly to keep the frame-rate steady). And it's well worth a tenner for the aforementioned early sections alone.
  • deem 11 Dec 2006 18:21:08 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Pooley 11 Dec 2006 18:22:19 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really like Far Cry, it's one of the very few games that I've completed twice.

Graphics wise, it does look fantastic. I sometimes used to stop on the tops of mountains and just stare at the view, especially if the sun was low in the sky.

The AI is good, sometimes too good. Don't expect to be able to pick off bad guys with a sniper rifle without sending all the other troops nearby into frantic action, searching for you. I've even had them spot me firing from quite a distance away, and then had groups of them making their way to my position to try and find me.

I also liked the variety of settings, from large islands to enclosed tunnels.

I've seen it advertised on-line for $9.99, though I'm not sure if that's for a legal download or for an actual copy of the game.

Well worth a tenner.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Dec 2006 18:23:05 38,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got bored of it once the crappy monsters appeared. It was ace up until then though.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• deem 11 Dec 2006 18:23:52 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Dec 2006 18:26:47 35,606 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    deem wrote:

Far Cry is the only game I have completed in the last 10 years, so I guess that must say something.

Seriously? That's a bit surprising, considering that Far Cry really is a massively big game, especially for FPS standards.

edit:
    My point being that it's not surprising that anyone would finish FC, but that you finished that one out of all games you've played. I am pretty good at finishing FPS games, but Far Cry took me many months. :)

Edited by UncleLou at 18:27:42 11-12-2006
  • matrim83 11 Dec 2006 18:50:13 5,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Buy it. You won't regret it if you are a FPS fan. And its only hard if you play the run and gun routine. Play it smart i.e. hide, take cover, get to higher grounds that give you tatical advantage, spot enemies before they spot you, pick your fights and its perhaps one of the most satisfying experiences in outwitting AI after Halo. It is a thinking mans FPS (if there is such a thing).

However if you like your FPS to be more action oriented and brutally fast paced you shouldn't miss out on much. So what I am saying is it depends how much and in what way you like FPSs.

And if you still find it unforgiving use a quicksave command to save anywhere you like.

Valar morghulis.

• kinggid 11 Dec 2006 19:05:08 303 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd recommend it. It is a truly great game, better than HL2 and FEAR. I bought it from Morrisons supermarket for £5.99 recently.
  • Switchblade 11 Dec 2006 19:07:27 262 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can buy my copy of Far Cry for £5 if you want. lol.
  • jaffacake 11 Dec 2006 20:03:37 986 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sold, £9.99...tesco...grocery bill ;O)
  • Switchblade 11 Dec 2006 20:09:11 262 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jaffacake wrote:
    Sold, £9.99...tesco...grocery bill ;O)

That's my trick for ASDA with 360 games. :)
  • Deleted user 11 December 2006 20:10:22
    /pimpage

It's part of Metaboli's collection. Click ze thingy to the left and investigate.
  • espy 11 Dec 2006 21:20:04 840 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It really is rather good. It was the first next gen shooter back then, before HL2 and Doom 3, and it really way a pioneering acheivement. First widespread use of normal mapping and all that.

The AI is simply awesome, period. Some of the best enemy behaviour in any FPS ever.

You can play it in different ways. Be stealthy and play it like Sam Fisher or be a tank and rampage through the whole thing. No problem, it works perfectly as a game either way. The balancing is awesome. It is also very open. There are literally dozens of ways to complete each level. Great replayability.

It still looks great. Plasticky, but great. It will, at times, scare the shit out of you. It will also frequently leave you just staring at the view. You will go hang gliding, barreling down a river in a motorized dinghy, fighting monsters in dark confined spaces, duelling snipers on a bloody huge island, and generally do all sorts of really entertaining stuff. The audio is wonderful, and the outside night missions will render you quite paranoid.

And without the save game patch, you won't be able to save whenever you like, which is a really good thing 95% of the time, because you play the game much more consciously. The other 5% of the time it will drive you stark raving mad, but it's worth it in the end.

Ok, the story is campy. Aw, let's be honest, it's bloody awful. The characters are horribly cliché, the plot is a joke and the voice acting a disaster, but despite all that, it really is a good game. Stupid fun, but great gameplay depth.
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Dec 2006 14:20:34 35,606 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Xiphos wrote:
    The AI is amazing.
    Truly, truly amazing.
    Without that, Far Cry is a pile of shit.

You mean, apart from the great level design, the at the time unusual setting, vehicles like hanggliders, nice weapons, and the still very good graphics.
  • Pike 13 Dec 2006 12:06:25 13,447 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Xiphos wrote:

Unusual setting. You means soliders with guns on an Island?

Uh, yes. The Island setting. Are you saying that there is a glut of FPS games set on tropical islands with vast open levels?
  • Genji 13 Dec 2006 12:12:09 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The open levels are fantastic. Stalking around once you get the night vision was the most fun for me.

The indoor levels were the worst part for me. That, and the Trigens. I much preferred the human enemies.

This all said, I still enjoyed the game enough to finish it. Being able to replay my favorite levels was a big plus.
  • PearOfAnguish 13 Dec 2006 13:30:50 7,328 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really wanted it to like Far Cry, but the controls felt wrong. The mouse control was too floaty, or something.

satisfying experiences in outwitting AI after Halo.

Not to turn this into a Halo bashing session, but when in Halo did you ever need to outwit the AI?
  • Feanor 20 Nov 2007 01:09:26 14,175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you guys have any general gameplay tips for this latecomer to the Far Cry party? I'm playing on Medium since there's no quick save and because I've heard the game gets very hard towards the end.

As an idea of my general skill level, I played HL2 Episodes 1 & 2 on Normal and Fear + Fear XP on Hard, and both games seemed just about right in terms of difficulty.

I'm still trying to get the control setup how I want it. I've put Walk on the Alt key, and I set Throw Grenade to the thumb button on my mouse since I find pressing G in a raging battle completely screws me up.
  • ecureuil 20 Nov 2007 01:14:32 76,875 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Be as stealthy as possible.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous