So I was driving home from work..

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • JustOwnedDarkPhalz 1 Dec 2006 21:38:47 469 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    along a busy dual carriageway towards home after a busy day at work.

You have to indicate left to come off the dual carriageway, onto the slip road, which leads down a steep hill and curls sharply to the left at the bottom. The main road runs past on the right, meaning you have to indicate right and pull out onto the main road.

Well I turned off down the slip road, and there was a lady in front of me doing about 40mph (limit is 60mph), so I slowed right down behind her and crawled down the hill (was raining quite quick so i thought fair enough), someone came screeching down behind me then braked hard, as we went round the sharp bend onto where the sliproad opens up ready to turn onto the main road, i looked in the mirror and they seemed to have slowed right up. We were down to a 5mph crawl now and the lady in front was crawling ready to pull onto the main road, i glanced in my wing mirror and over my blind shot to the right to see what was moving about down the side of me...

..As I do this WHACK from behind, the idiot speeding behing me had gone right into the back of me. To make it worse I jolted forwards and skidded straight into the back of the lady in front.

I was in total shock. Neck was in agonising pain and had never had anything like this happen to me before so I didn't know what to do or how to behave.

Before I had time to breathe (we are talking seconds after the impact here), I heard the screech of tyres and the person behind sped away.

The lady in front pulled onto the hard shoulder so I followed her over. Got out and swapped details looked at each others cars and luckily the back of hers looks fine bodywork-wise, obviously need to check it in the daylight.. front of mine is scratched but not badly, just where I hit her bumper.. very slow impact so not much damage at all.

... Back of my car is ruined. Absolutely crushed. We are talking a complete new back end of the car here. Number plate snapped, bumper crushed, boot catch snapped off, both rear lights out, rear windscreen cracked badly, tubing hanging off. Living fucking Nightmare it really is.

So I go down the Police Station an hour or so after it happened to report the trouble and get breathalised etc. They tell me that because I didn't see the plates etc nothing they can do unless the lady at the front saw them (she wasn't even aware I was hit and was quite pissy with me). So it looks like I will have to pay for her car (minimal damage.. scratching only) the front of my car (medium scratching) and the completely fucked and haggard back of my car, all because some law-breaking fuckwit left the scene of an accident.

Oh how I wish I could catch the little fucker.. My Christmas is ruined because of his/her idiocy.

ARGH!
  • JustOwnedDarkPhalz 1 Dec 2006 21:51:44 469 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote:
    :(

What the hell is the point of having more surveillance cameras than any other country on earth if they can't use them to nobble little shits like this?

Cheers for your sympathy mate.

The Policewoman said it was in an ill lit area and as such the surveillance would be useless beacuse the crashes occurred in pitch blackness.

Lame excuse #1939 :/
  • Dirtbox 1 Dec 2006 21:57:36 76,334 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No way should you have to pay for the damage, you were the victim of a hit and run driver. Contact your insurance company with the police details and go from there. I'm positive you'll be covered if you're fully comp. and your no claims might be left in tact if you're *very* lucky.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• JustOwnedDarkPhalz 1 Dec 2006 22:00:34 469 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No way should you have to pay for the damage, you were the victim of a hit and run driver. Contact your insurance company with the police details and go from there. I'm positive you'll be covered if you're fully comp. and your no claims might be left in tact if you're *very* lucky.

You reckon mate? The Police said the technicalities of it meant my car hit the lady in fronts' car and that was that.

If he/she had been stopped it would have needed a court case to prove negligence on there part.

Wrong place wrong time. :(
  • Pirotic Moderator 1 Dec 2006 22:01:45 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arg, this thread is going to get me pissed off with our crappy criminal justice system isn't it?

What I don't understand is, if the back of your car was ruined and that doesn't normally have crumple-zones, the front of the guys car who rear-ended you should be a complete state. Even if the area the accident happened in was poorly lit, I suspect if they really wanted to they could easily find him by checking cameras in the proximity, not many cars would have a completely unroad worthy bonnet.

If it makes you feel any better, he'll also have to pay for his own repairs because he fled, but to make you feel worse again he probably doesn't even have a licence, or doesn't own the car, which is why he fled in the first place.

I'd also suggest writing to your local MP, as the police saying they cannot even bother looking because you don't have the registration is just wrong. If a car crashs into you and leaves you in a state of shock, then runs off, how the hell are you supposed to know? If a policeman is run over while on duty by a speeding car, do they not bother doing anything about it because he was on the floor and couldn't remember the reg.

Edited by Pirotic at 22:04:57 01-12-2006
  • Dirtbox 1 Dec 2006 22:03:53 76,334 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isn't traveleing at somesuch speed below the stated limit considered dangerous driving anyway?

• MisterFalseName 1 Dec 2006 22:04:48 985 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JustOwnedDarkPhalz wrote:

You reckon mate? The Police said the technicalities of it meant my car hit the lady in fronts' car and that was that.

Wouldn't the state of the back of your car *prove* that it wasn't your fault?

Anyway, I hope it works out for you. Speaking as someone who has failed their driving test several times, but keeps on seeing worse, more dangerous drivers on the road, this kind of thing ticks me off. :)
  • JustOwnedDarkPhalz 1 Dec 2006 22:05:02 469 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Arg, this thread is going to get me pissed off with our crappy criminal justice system isn't it?

What I don't understand is, if the back of your car was ruined and that doesn't normally have crumple-zones, the front of the guys car who rear-ended you should be a complete state. Even if the area the accident happened in was poorly lit, I suspect if they really wanted to they could easily find him by checking cameras in the proximity, not many cars would have a completely unroad worthy bonnet.

If it makes you feel any better, he'll also have to pay for his own repairs because is fled, but to make you feel worse again he probably doesn't even have a licence, or doesn't own the car, which is why he fled.

The Police said as much re: no license/banned driver..

I went back afterwards and there was a lot of minor debris on the road like specks of the plastic from the lights and a bit of the car behind's bumper on the verge, but no marks or anything so it's pointless.

Just need to try and wind down from it. :/
  • Pirotic Moderator 1 Dec 2006 22:06:55 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Indeed, go relax and have an early night. I'll stay up being pissed off at him for you ;)

hopefully you'll feel better in the morning and things will work out, again, write to your MP - you'd be amazed what they can do.
  • JustOwnedDarkPhalz 1 Dec 2006 22:09:08 469 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Police knew it wasn't my fault as soon as I pulled up outside. The cheeky bitch even said I shouldn't have driven the car on the road with the damage done to the rear.. did she want me to fucking pick it up with my huge portable crane and drop it home!?!

But anyway cheer Piro for the advice re: Local MP, I know him well so I might just mention it to him.

Main concern now is my neck. I think I have quite badly sprained it. It really is hurting whenever I move. Might need to pop down the hospital if it doesn't ease up soon.
  • heyyo 1 Dec 2006 22:10:24 14,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Go now, you have whiplash.
  • JustOwnedDarkPhalz 1 Dec 2006 22:13:48 469 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    Go now, you have whiplash.

Think you might be right mate.

Take care all, cheers for the advice :)
  • Dirtbox 1 Dec 2006 22:16:10 76,334 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The way I see it, you were sandwidged between two idiots, the back of your car proves one and her statement will prove the other. With a pinch of luck it'll be her insurance company that forks out for damages.

I'd claim on that neck while you're there, whiplash is a complete arse.

• terminalterror 1 Dec 2006 22:23:41 18,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eep. That is really shitty.

I hope everything works out in the end.
  • Merlinho 1 Dec 2006 22:47:09 5,909 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The other person is never going to be at fault if you go into the back of them DB, no matter how how supposedly slowly they're going. A friend of mine had a car crash into him side-on while pulling out of a junction because said car was going well over the speed limit. My friend was found to be at fault for everything...that's just the way the damn sod's law works.
  • JustOwnedDarkPhalz 1 Dec 2006 23:31:10 469 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got in from the hospital and I've got quite severe whiplash.

Have to monitor it and go for a check-up next week.

Bloody agony now though after she rubbed iodine all over it.

I am painted brown.

/am cry :'(
  • Phattso Moderator 1 Dec 2006 23:38:48 12,723 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got a shunt from behind some ten years back. Very painful - neck was sore for a few weeks and my right knee (which went through the dash) was largely buggered. Thankfully the guy that went into the back of me stopped and we exchanged details resulting in a reasonable settlement a year or so later.

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to be left at the scene by some half-human fuckwit that probably didn't have insurance anyway. :-/
  • mentat 2 Dec 2006 01:04:22 5,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You won't have to pay - that's what your insurance is for. Of course you'll have to pay the excess and your premium will be massive next year 'cos they're unable to reclaim costs, but you won't have to pay to get your car back on the road.
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,291 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :(

What the hell is the point of having more surveillance cameras than any other country on earth if they can't use them to nobble little shits like this?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 1

Previous Next