The Hobbit Page 34

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• disusedgenius 16 Dec 2012 00:53:23 5,313 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jezmando wrote:
    was the massive spider in the hobbit? I'm sure it was somewhere?
    Nope.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2012 00:54:39
    disusedgenius wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    It's all in the pre-face to be fair.
    What is? I just mean from an animation point of view, it just seems tricky to make talking lizards work without it looking cartoony.
    The book - Tolkein specifies that for the want of story progression that everyone speaks english.
  • MrE26 16 Dec 2012 02:30:53 1,931 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I'm confused about the standard rate version. It must be shot with half the shutter speed too, so the film will feel completely different regardless?
    The lack of motion blur might have been what made it look weird, year. Certainly didn't feel quite right in 24fps, but that might have been because he knew that he could get away with more at the proper speed.

Or I was just at a really shit screen... either way...
    To me it felt like a standard film, didn't notice anything 'off' visually with the 24fps version at all. That's actually why i went for that version, i didn't want anything distracting me on my first viewing.
  • Savatage 16 Dec 2012 06:09:29 38 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just saw it in standard 2D 24fps.

Really enjoyed it, possibly helped that the negative reviews I've read had lowered my expectations somewhat. In terms of narrative it was rather similar to Fellowship - which for me was a very good thing - though it lacked the emotional wallop of that film. Special kudos to Martin Freeman who was brilliant throughout.

Now I've seen the "vanilla" version of the film and liked it well enough on it's own terms, I'm actually quite keen to see it again with the all-bells-and-whistles HFR 3D, if just to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else.
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Dec 2012 09:10:51 24,183 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How was the Star Trek preview?

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• disusedgenius 16 Dec 2012 10:26:39 5,313 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrE26 wrote:
    To me it felt like a standard film, didn't notice anything 'off' visually with the 24fps version at all.
    Not even in all the quick sweeping pans? It might just be an issue with 24 fps in 3D, to be fair. Either that or it was a combination of the 3D, fps and dull bulb which made it go a bit odd.
  • Scurrminator 16 Dec 2012 11:58:05 8,410 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Fantastic though it seemed a bit fast cut so may have been edited for this preview. All very exciting mind.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• ZuluHero 16 Dec 2012 12:18:18 4,142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Jezmando wrote:
    Nope.
    They're from one of the Broods left by Ungoliant as she wandered middle earth.
  • Benno 16 Dec 2012 13:00:19 9,883 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw this last night, thought it was brilliant. I watched it in 3-D at 48 FPS. The HFR took about 2 minutes to get used to and I think added quite a lot to the 3-d and sweeping landscape shots.

First half dragged a lot, but second half was brilliant. Well worth a watch! I have also read the book, but it was quite a long time ago so I had forgotten most of it!
  • MrE26 16 Dec 2012 13:01:58 1,931 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @disusedgenius Not that i noticed, i saw it in a fairly new multiplex though so it was a decent presentation. Just looked like any other standard 3D film to me.
  • RobAnybody 16 Dec 2012 13:21:00 894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Jezmando wrote:
    Nope.
    One of Ungoliant's descendants is Shelob, and the smaller spiders in Mirkwood are descendants of Shelob.
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Dec 2012 13:24:29 24,183 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Fantastic though it seemed a bit fast cut so may have been edited for this preview. All very exciting mind.
    Excellent. Pretty much the reason I'm seeing the film! Although I am curious about fps.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• ZuluHero 16 Dec 2012 18:52:10 4,142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Jezmando wrote:
    Nope.
    One of Ungoliant's descendants is Shelob, and the smaller spiders in Mirkwood are descendants of Shelob.
    Yep. Sounds about right.

EDIT, No wait, i didn't see that there was a spoiler tag on my iPod.

I don't think they're Shelob's, the Silmarillion just says that Ungoliant just wandered the world after she came from the west, mating with other giant spiders creating broods all over the place. Shelob was the biggest one of her brood.

As far as the lore goes, Shelob was born (hatched) in Beleriand ("the last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world" The Two Towers IV 9 - I found this in the index of my copy of The Silmarillion) and went straight to the hidden pass between Cirith Ungol and Mordor, when that part of middle-earth was covered by the sea. There's no mention of her wanderings? How do you know they're Shelob's children it doesn't say in any of the books? I'd love to know! :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 19:35:35 16-12-2012
  • disusedgenius 16 Dec 2012 20:02:42 5,313 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    How do you know they're Shelob's children it doesn't say in any of the books? I'd love to know! :)
    I'm almost certain it's mentioned in LotR that the spiders in Mirkwood were her children.
  • localnotail 16 Dec 2012 20:36:29 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Encyclopedia of Arda says they are Shelob's descendants

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• RobAnybody 16 Dec 2012 22:00:43 894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yup, that's right - a number of years ago I read a lot of Tolkien's works (and Christopher Tolkien's based on his father's notes and unfinished writings) which occasionally mentioned Shelob's offspring.

Edited by RobAnybody at 22:01:17 16-12-2012
  • barchetta 16 Dec 2012 22:50:37 1,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Soooo. IMAX HFR 3D at Nottingham Corner House thus afternoon. I hadn't seen any 48fps material before this and it took quite some getting used to. I was still finding myself noticing it well into the last third. Any rotation of the glasses (say, cocking your head over slightly) threw the 3d out of focus. Feel I would have enjoyed it more without the 3D tbh. Must admit the sound system there bowled me over.

As for the film, weirdly, although some scenes felt like they dragged, it didn't feel like nigh-on 3 hrs overall. The IMAX presentation helped with the epic feel though many of the aerial flypast shots felt over familiar - though I guess a journey across ME can only be framed so many ways.

A word on Martin Freeman's performance - I felt he really channelled Ian Holm very well vocally and with the odd tick - he held it all together very well indeed.

I felt little was done to distinguish many of the Dwarves, perhaps we'll see more individuality in forthcomIng installments.

I'd certainly see it again, but without 3D (I'm still not convinced).

Edited by barchetta at 22:57:20 16-12-2012

Edited by barchetta at 23:03:08 16-12-2012
  • Bremenacht 16 Dec 2012 23:30:54 18,190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone rather expect Gollum to appear again in the next two films?

I think somewhere in LotR it's suggested that Gollum left the Misty Mountains in search of the precious, so I'll be surprised if he's not levered into the next two by hook or by crook.
  • RobAnybody 16 Dec 2012 23:53:35 894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's mentioned in The Fellowship of the Ring that it was a few years before Gollum left the mountains to hunt for Bilbo and the Ring. However, I'm pretty sure that Jackson will lever him back into the next two Hobbit films somehow - he's proved time and time again that he's more than happy to add or distort characters and events, and to hell with the source material .........

Edited by RobAnybody at 23:54:33 16-12-2012
  • localnotail 16 Dec 2012 23:55:04 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    I felt little was done to distinguish many of the Dwarves, perhaps we'll see more individuality in forthcomIng installments
    HTH

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• ZuluHero 17 Dec 2012 00:11:31 4,142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Yup, that's right - a number of years ago I read a lot of Tolkien's works (and Christopher Tolkien's based on his father's notes and unfinished writings) which occasionally mentioned Shelob's offspring.
    Ahh that'll explain it then! It's not mentioned in LoTR, or the Hobbit, or the Silmarillion, but it seems like that is the accepted canon.

Thanks for the wiki page too Local, interesting :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:14:15 17-12-2012
  • disusedgenius 17 Dec 2012 00:39:29 5,313 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No no, it's mentioned in the Two Towers. Your nerd powers are just weak, old man. :)
  • neilka 17 Dec 2012 01:03:43 15,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So does Bulbo finally let Ganandorf stick his ashen wand up him in this one?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Oh-Bollox 17 Dec 2012 01:09:59 5,244 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thank you local, I will be printing that out and handing it to my friends.
  • mal 17 Dec 2012 01:10:45 22,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just saw Martin Freeman on the telly talking about this. They're making it into three films? Jesus, the original book's barely a pamphlet compared to even one volume of LotR. Cheeky fuckers.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• disusedgenius 17 Dec 2012 01:12:23 5,313 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They also shot it in a higher frame rate!
  • Deleted user 17 December 2012 01:37:38
    I hear they even used computer graphics to make Gollum.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last