The Hobbit Page 29

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• Deleted user 7 December 2012 18:23:50
    Feanor wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, but the LotR books were immense. Fellowship of the Ring alone is nearly twice the length of The Hobbit. Having to drop stuff from the book because it's too long is one thing. Having to write new shit and pull in stuff from the Silmarillion to turn it into three films is something else.
    What things from the Silmarillion are in the Hobbit movies?
    No idea. All I've heard is that they're taking things from it, along with writing their own stuff, to fill in random gaps and stretch it out.
  • Daryoon 7 Dec 2012 18:37:18 4,602 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like the films will cover about what, six whole chapters each?

Can't wait for the hilarious anti-climax that is Smaug getting shot by an arrow. Unless they go all Deathly Hallows on it and turn Gandalf into a Super Saiyan.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2012 19:24:18
    Aargh. wrote:
    The first LoTRs trilogy could have fit into one two hour film without much of a problem. There would have been significant parts of the story cut out but I'm not convinced that it wouldn't have been better that way.
    Sorry but no. That would have been just as ridiculous as releasing three Hobbit films.
  • Lukus 7 Dec 2012 19:29:03 18,996 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They certainly didn't need to be three and a half hours long each, that's for shit sure.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 7 December 2012 19:36:40
    Lukus wrote:
    They certainly didn't need to be three and a half hours long each, that's for shit sure.
    Your point is far more salient. I personally didn't mind the length as the books definitely supported that length. However they were guilty of omitting stuff of thematic importance to bring in their own fluff.

It's that propensity for added fluff which has tarnished my enthusiasm.
  • Gambit1977 7 Dec 2012 19:40:36 9,583 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Will there be dwarf tossing in this one?
  • beastmaster 7 Dec 2012 19:56:35 11,137 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Will there be dwarf tossing in this one?
    In the audience perhaps. The police will be there to sort it out pronto!

It looks as though there are quite a few people in Hollywood keeping an eye on how the 48fps one does. If it goes down well, they will be more of these.

I don't know what to expect. Will my head explode Scanners style?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• ecureuil 7 Dec 2012 19:59:39 76,465 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    24fps vs. 48fps comparison video
  • Ginger 7 Dec 2012 20:11:15 6,826 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Well, the time investment as I see it is basically not wanting to stretch what should ostensibly be a single movie (The Hobbit is not a long book no matter how you spin it) over the course of four years or so, or whatever the release schedule is.
    I think this is going to be one of the first directors cuts where the revision is significantly shorter than he original cuts.

Edited by Ginger at 20:14:26 07-12-2012

London open taekwondo champion

• Deleted user 7 December 2012 20:57:10
    Like most of us then :)
  • Lukus 7 Dec 2012 21:22:53 18,996 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It definitely looks cleaner and more detailed somehow. The shakey foot at the beginning looks a bit weird, but overall I think I like it.

Paintings & Photographs

• Nasty 7 Dec 2012 23:29:12 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:

Can't wait for the hilarious anti-climax that is Smaug getting shot by an arrow. Unless they go all Deathly Hallows on it and turn Gandalf into a Super Saiyan.
    Did your book not have the whole battle of the five armies bit?
  • localnotail 8 Dec 2012 00:28:31 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smaug was always "smowg" to me, l think it was on the LP we had of JRRT reading and singing.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 8 December 2012 00:32:22
    Lukus wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    It definitely looks cleaner and more detailed somehow. The shakey foot at the beginning looks a bit weird, but overall I think I like it.
    Of course this is ignoring things like shutter speed and the like, should open up a few more opportunities for film makers.
  • the_dudefather 8 Dec 2012 00:46:56 9,177 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:

I only read the Hobbit this year and this was totally bullshit

'oh, how can Bilbo defeat this impossible foe? maybe with cunning or some king of crazy plan? Oh wait, he doesn't, some other asshole kills him with one shot and Bilbo and the dwarfs do jack shit, then some battle happens with goblins and Bilbo goes back home to smoke hobbit weed'

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 8 December 2012 01:13:25
    They had a Hobbit week on the Colbert Report of all things. They still haven't really clarified if he has a cameo in it or not.
  • Tonka 8 Dec 2012 07:13:16 20,005 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't believe I didn't know this would be a trilogy until today.
    /not feeling it

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Gambit1977 8 Dec 2012 07:34:59 9,583 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Giterz depending on what you read, the first one is!
  • RobAnybody 8 Dec 2012 12:05:45 880 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Feanor wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, but the LotR books were immense. Fellowship of the Ring alone is nearly twice the length of The Hobbit. Having to drop stuff from the book because it's too long is one thing. Having to write new shit and pull in stuff from the Silmarillion to turn it into three films is something else.

No idea. All I've heard is that they're taking things from it, along with writing their own stuff, to fill in random gaps and stretch it out.
    Nothing has been taken from The Silmarillion to pad out The Hobbit - what Jackson and his cronies have done instead is to pad it out with material from the Appendices that are to be found at the end of The Return of the King.

Oh yes, and they've stuffed in Legolas (not in the Appendices) and some female elven love interest for one of the dwarfs. And other bloody stupid things.

I kid you not.
  • ecureuil 8 Dec 2012 12:08:24 76,465 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    They had a Hobbit week on the Colbert Report of all things. They still haven't really clarified if he has a cameo in it or not.
    Yeah it was fun, his interview with Peter Jackson was great, he's clearly a massive Tolkien fan and really knows his stuff. I think it's pretty obvious he'll be in it at some point. Could just be a non-speaking extra though. I'll certainly be looking out for him. The gossip I read said that his cameo isn't in the first film.
  • Gambit1977 8 Dec 2012 12:16:28 9,583 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    By cameo, do you mean Legolas or Aragorn?

Edit: no, you mean Pj himself :lol:

Edited by Gambit1977 at 12:17:00 08-12-2012
  • localnotail 8 Dec 2012 12:43:56 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is always a PJ cameo in all his films. I think he means a Colbert cameo.

Edited by localnotail at 12:44:38 08-12-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• mrpon 8 Dec 2012 14:26:31 28,400 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    His parents were in Braindead.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 8 December 2012 16:10:40
    localnotail wrote:
    There is always a PJ cameo in all his films. I think he means a Colbert cameo.
    Yes. A Colbert cameo. A PJ cameo is already confirmed. Colbert addressed his rumoured cameo in the show by highlighting the increasingly bizarre reporting of his set visit (to the extent where one paper claimed he was starring in it), but it was never actually denied.

Probably not, but it'll make me more observant if and when I eventually see it.
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 16:11:47
    RobAnybody wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Feanor wrote:
    meme wrote:

Nothing has been taken from The Silmarillion to pad out The Hobbit - what Jackson and his cronies have done instead is to pad it out with material from the Appendices that are to be found at the end of The Return of the King.
    Ah, cool. I knew it was "stuff not from The Hobbit", at least.
  • Daryoon 8 Dec 2012 17:33:01 4,602 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Daryoon wrote:

Did your book not have the whole battle of the five armies bit?
    ...which doesn't involve Smooowg. It's like having Sauron defeated before the Pellanor Field. It's not that much of an issue in the book, because the book is fairly short. In film terms, Smaug will either be offed in the second, at the start of the third...or they'll try and shoehorn him into the Five Armies...Unless the entire second film revolves around Mirkwood/the elves...but then it's called "The Desolation of Smaug"...which suggests the third film is going to drag the whole Five Armies thing out, and....

(really can't see how they can turn the book into an epic trilogy without massively fucking it up)

Edited by Daryoon at 18:00:09 08-12-2012
  • disusedgenius 8 Dec 2012 18:36:39 5,195 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't forget they'll have all the goings on down in Dol Guidir or whatever it's called as well. That'll have to be resolved in enough time for Gandalf to get back to the Dwarves as well.

Could be that they use that story to provide the end of the second film, then have Smaug getting offed and the fallout of that for the final film.
  • LetsGo 9 Dec 2012 21:32:51 5,161 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gutted this is getting bad reviews, after LoTR, didn't think he could mess it up.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last