The Hobbit Page 24

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• beastmaster 26 Oct 2012 11:42:36 11,608 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, of course you can. The premier seats for the 3D IMAX performances for then opening night sell out quick. Server kept crashing when I was booking tickets. In this case, Thursday 13th December.

IMAX these days seem to be really popular.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 26 October 2012 12:04:49
    In fairness the higher framerate might mean this film's watchable on IMAX. :-)

I'm mulling over waiting for the local arthouse screen to pick it up (they usually follow a couple of months after main releases but they have a proper 4k digital 3D setup). Either that or I might miss the cinema release and just pick up the Blu along with upgrading my projector to a 1080P 3D one and just watch this at home
  • Deleted user 31 October 2012 14:58:51
    Ah, fuck. Contacted my local IMAX and because they're only showing the film (not digital) version, it's going to be 24FPS.

Might have to wait until my local digital place can afford to show it after all.
  • SClaw 8 Nov 2012 13:12:36 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just contacted the Giant Screen in Birmingham, who were super helpful and explained something really complex about their servers and projectors... anyway... they aren't showing it in 48 because it requires quite new equipment.

However, they did say that the new IMAX in Birmingham (Cineworld Broadway) probably has the latest version of the gear capable of showing it in 48. I shall try to find out from them for anyone in Burmington... but knowing those muppets I won't get a straight answer. We'll see.

Side note; Giant Screen staff are top helpful. Thumbs up!
  • Lukus 8 Nov 2012 13:34:04 19,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Giant Screen pisses me off- the screen is bigger than IMAX yet they don't always (or ever?) show IMAX stuff on it. The last Batman for instance, was in regular widescreen the whole way through, with none of the elongated bits. What a waste of tech.
    And not able to play 48fps? That sounds ridiculous to me.

Edited by Lukus at 13:43:32 08-11-2012

Paintings & Photographs

• SClaw 8 Nov 2012 14:20:55 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's not an IMAX. The IMAX closed years ago and the screen re-launched as a digital indy about 12-18 months ago. It no longer has an IMAX screen, projector or hardware at all – nor any of the exclusive deals that IMAX receive (such as the extra length for Batman). It has a special Dolby 3D screen setup, which I believe is unique in the UK because of its particular size and shape.

The Giant Screen has a lot of rough edges but don’t knock it; it’s a good venue for 3D films. But not IMAX… because it isn’t one.
  • Lukus 8 Nov 2012 15:16:51 19,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know it's not IMAX, it's bigger, so it seems stupid that it wouldn't show IMAX format stuff if they have the option.

It's a huge waste of a massive screen.

Paintings & Photographs

• localnotail 8 Nov 2012 22:25:03 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Isn't there a special licensing deal for IMAX? They probably can't afford it, and don't have the projectors now anyway. It's good for 3D, I really enjoyed seeing Avatar and Prometheus there (until I thought about it). Glasses are a little small though.

Good news about the new IMAX though. Even if the Cineworld is haunted by the ghosts of dead children.

Edited by localnotail at 22:28:41 08-11-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• SClaw 8 Nov 2012 23:22:42 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    IMAX isn't just a format - it's a brand. Only IMAX cinemas can show IMAX films. It's not a case of not being able to afford it; IMAX closed the IMAX cinema there and someone else had to open a new one (as a normal cinema with a really big screen, because that's the only option). If you want to complain about it, tell IMAX. I'm sure ThinkTank would love IMAX content... but they buggered off.

I'm not sure why IMAX opened in Cineworld. That cinema is a dump. The Vue (now Odean) up the road was much nicer... but now it's Odean it'll turn into a dump too.

Anyway... back on topic we have some confirmed 48fps locations...

Liverpool: ODEON Cinema (expected)
    London: ODEON Leicester Square
    Odeon Manchester IMAX @ The Printworks – Manchester, UK
    Cineworld IMAX Nottingham – Nottingham, UK

Woo... so many. Fuck you cinemas. Support the goddamn arts goddamn it!!!

Seriously feeling for PJ now. He was trying to do something new and interesting and a bunch of dipshit critics and movie execs are cock blocking him.

Edited by SClaw at 23:26:16 08-11-2012
  • AaronTurner 8 Nov 2012 23:41:46 7,785 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Peter Jackson hasn't done anything new and interesting since Bad Taste.
  • beastmaster 9 Nov 2012 00:01:32 11,608 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excellent. Got tickets for the Thursday 13th Dec for IMAX in Manchester.

And no, I haven't got tickets for the Friday/Saturday/Sunday etc. I'll be out celebrating my birthday!

Latest Empire's got a 92,000 page special on it. Honestly, I can't be arsed.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Feanor 9 Nov 2012 03:03:56 14,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    You seem to be an expert in bad taste.
  • SClaw 14 Nov 2012 10:15:13 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A 48 FPS update...

Cineworld IMAX Nottingham DOES NOT FUCKING EXIST. It's meant to open on the 14th December to show The Hobbit but as of today... it's not actually there at all.

So... other than that no one is saying anything. Cineworld and Odean have said they won't confirm until they get the film and Vue doesn't seem to know what 48 FPS is.
  • Scurrminator 14 Nov 2012 11:00:11 8,437 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I know it's not IMAX, it's bigger, so it seems stupid that it wouldn't show IMAX format stuff if they have the option.

It's a huge waste of a massive screen.
    The Big Screen (used to be IMAX) had not made any money since AVATAR. When their deal with IMAX was up for renewal they didn't and became an indie. They removed the old screen and installed their own equipment.
    This means they can show any films they like (provided they are digital I guess) BUT they cannot show IMAX films. They don't have the equipment and they don't have the license. Which means even though they have this fucking huge screen they don't actually have anything to fill it with!!!
    I used to love going there but since it changed over haven't bothered - it's just a film blown up on a bigger screen.
    So it's broad street IMAX for me from now on (haven't tried it yet, was going to see Bond there but never got round to it).

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Lukus 14 Nov 2012 11:34:43 19,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I won't be going there again either. Pissed me off not getting the extended bits in Batman. Although, I probably should have read the small print.

Paintings & Photographs

• Scurrminator 14 Nov 2012 11:59:43 8,437 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I drove all the way to Manchester to see DKR rather than suffer The Blur Screen

• evild_edd 14 Nov 2012 14:41:15 3,145 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    I drove all the way to Manchester to see DKR rather than suffer The Blur Screen
    The Blur Screen? Unfortunately, as I live in a Country House, There's No Other Way that I could see TDKR. No Great Escape from blurry screens for me.

Can't say that TDKR was ruined by viewing on a standard cinema screen. Perhaps you're just pickier about these things than most? But then you merely adopted the cinema experience; I was born into it!

/gets coat whilst frantically gesturing for a taxi!

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• SClaw 16 Nov 2012 09:44:01 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Showcase now taking 48FPS bookings...

Bluewater: Showcase Cinema Bluewater
    Bristol: Showcase Cinema de Lux Bristol
    Derby: Showcase Cinema de Lux Derby
    Dudley: Showcase Cinema Dudley
    Glasgow: Showcase Cinema Glasgow
    Leeds: Showcase Cinema Leeds
    Leicester: Showcase Cinema de Lux Leicester
    Nottingham: Showcase Cinema Nottingham
    Peterborough: Showcase Cinema Peterborough
    Teesside: Showcase Cinema Teesside

Cineworld will be showing it at 26 cinemas, but no confirmation of which (maybe today).

IMAX Manchester, Sheffield and Nottingham (when it gets built) are confirmed.

Ugh... please don't make me go to Dudddloy to see this film.
  • Scurrminator 16 Nov 2012 09:51:18 8,437 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tickets booked!
    Also update for the Trek footage

UK cinemas currently confirmed for the footage include Cineworld sites in Dublin, Nottingham, Enfield, Crawley, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Ipswich and Birmingham, with more to be announced.

• SClaw 16 Nov 2012 09:56:43 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oohohoho... comeon Cineworld Brum gimme that 48FPS and we're golden now!
  • askew 16 Nov 2012 09:59:55 12,427 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Showcase now taking 48FPS bookings...

Bluewater: Showcase Cinema Bluewater
    Bristol: Showcase Cinema de Lux Bristol
    Derby: Showcase Cinema de Lux Derby
    Dudley: Showcase Cinema Dudley
    Glasgow: Showcase Cinema Glasgow
    Leeds: Showcase Cinema Leeds
    Leicester: Showcase Cinema de Lux Leicester
    Nottingham: Showcase Cinema Nottingham
    Peterborough: Showcase Cinema Peterborough
    Teesside: Showcase Cinema Teesside

Cineworld will be showing it at 26 cinemas, but no confirmation of which (maybe today).

IMAX Manchester, Sheffield and Nottingham (when it gets built) are confirmed.

Ugh... please don't make me go to Dudddloy to see this film.
    Hah, I really rate the Dudley Showcase and would visit it over a lot of the other cinemas round here. Seems to have the best audio set-up and is mostly digital.
  • SClaw 16 Nov 2012 10:32:17 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yam might be right there, mucka.

Ok... it's not much worse than my bastardised Brummy accent but it is worse.

A great little cinema is the Walsall Showcase. Honestly it's a rundown shithole... but I also discovered its where they test out new gear for Showcase. It was the first cinema in the country to get a digital projector. So you usually get a great screen and great sound (usually, there are some bad screens there - your in trouble if you have to turn right usually) but I remember once the heating broke down during a film and I couldn't feel my legs at the end. That was fun.
  • ecu 24 Nov 2012 19:19:09 77,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this still being released at 48fps?
  • neilka 24 Nov 2012 19:47:54 16,257 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, about double the framerate you can get from a Wii U.
  • stephenb 24 Nov 2012 22:56:25 2,750 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Yep, about double the framerate you can get from a Wii U.
    The veal, try it!

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• Gambit1977 24 Nov 2012 23:12:34 10,193 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Braindead
    see what I did there?
  • localnotail 25 Nov 2012 00:02:19 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heavenly Creatures and The Frighteners are both brilliant films.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Mola_Ram 25 Nov 2012 00:06:00 7,692 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, Forgotten Silver is one of the greatest documentaries ever.
  • AaronTurner 25 Nov 2012 00:07:12 7,785 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah they are, I was exaggerating, everything he's done since Kong is total pap.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last