The Hobbit Page 51

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• drhickman1983 18 Jan 2014 00:42:26 555 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 2nd film was too long.

I personally don't believe an adpatation has to adhere to the original source, but it does need to work on it's own merits.

The Desolation of Smaug worked in places, but other places was needlessly drawn out. The climatic "battle" with Smaug was certainly an example of padding. I'd have preferred it without the
    running to the forge and shit.

Still, Martin Freeman is a good Bilbo. The Dwarves are largely forgettable though. I enjoyed the Mirkwood section, the barrel riding dragged on a bit. The low resolution p.o.v footage (from a go-pro?) was really fucking jarring for me.

I did prefer it to the first film, but at this point I really feel making it into 3 films is a massive stretch. Unless the 3rd film really delivers I feel 2 films would have been enough.
  • Stan101 18 Jan 2014 02:13:44 727 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    With the negativity surrounding The Hobbit I thought it was superb. Regarding the books, I read The Hobbit, but got bored of the Lotr halfway through the Two Towers. There you go. Always thought The Hobbit would make a better film.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jan 2014 02:25:19 8,287 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I preferred the Hobbit book to LOTR. There was less superfluous shit getting in the way of the story.
  • wizbob 18 Jan 2014 03:18:06 788 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love the 'Lotr is hardcore, the Hobbit is for kids' argument - it's very like the "games are serious bizness" arguments for CoD vs Nintendo. Let's face it, both books were for kids but at least the first one told a coherent story, without lapsing into academic norse saga parody.

I love both, but I think the Hobbit will fare better as a film when someone on the internet edits it all back into one film without the goblin chase/smaug forge CGI filler.
  • the_dudefather 18 Jan 2014 10:30:01 9,418 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fanedit of Desolation of Smaug but the Dragon forge battle is replaced with the Alien foundry battle scenes from Alien3

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• disusedgenius 18 Jan 2014 10:44:55 5,619 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Hobbit is clearly for kids because it's structured as a bunch of bed-time stories with no attention span. That's not a bad thing, but it is what it is.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jan 2014 13:19:47 8,287 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dunno, I think lotr would work better as a bed time story. Certainly puts me to sleep.
  • disusedgenius 18 Jan 2014 13:26:44 5,619 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your face certainly puts me to sleep.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jan 2014 13:30:14 8,287 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
  • Bremenacht 10 Mar 2014 16:29:15 19,663 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where did you buy your kitchen, Bilbo?

Is there something you want to tell me?
  • M83J01P97 14 Apr 2014 11:55:36 6,711 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Too much padding!

Watched Part 1 and 2 over the weekend and while they are no means terrible films at all, they both just feel so artificially padded that is kind of ruins the overall enjoyment factor for me.

The story at the core of The Hobbit is just lost with all the unnecessary sub plots, extra characters, made up events and so on that Jackson is cramming into the films, when all I really want to see is the story of Bilbo, Gandalf and the Dwarves on their journey.

Again, they are not terrible films, I just think Jackson should have restrained himself this time and focused on making one (at a stretch, maybe two) epic films that told the story of The Hobbit in all it's glory, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2014 12:14:25
    I'm in two minds about it. Watching it at the cinema, I defiantly felt that that there was unnecessary padding, especially in the first one. To the point that it kind of messes with the flow of the film. On the other hand, the more time I spend in Middle-earth, better.

I watched the LotR extended editions recently and they are so perfectly crafted, the story flows beautifully and no scenes feels out of place.
  • Maturin 14 Apr 2014 12:15:54 3,231 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    I just think Jackson should have restrained himself this time and focused on making one (at a stretch, maybe two) epic films that told the story of The Hobbit in all it's glory, nothing more, nothing less.
    I've just read the Hobbit for the first time in years. The book would be very difficult to film for a modern audience - the whimsy is very dated. Also Tolkein routinely makes a mockery of narrative structure by telling you very important things in one sentence after they've happened. Major characters are killed in the book and it gets a sentence. No context, no emotion, just a fact then the story moves on.
  • Rhaegyr 14 Apr 2014 12:23:30 2,726 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The only characters that get a 'sentence' are Fili and Kili and they're hardly major characters. Thorin himself also gets a paragraph or two about his death and the book describes Bilbo's mood and weariness (though not to a great extent) after the above.

Think you're underselling the book a little - it's still great. I actually prefer it to the LOTR.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 12:23:42 14-04-2014
  • Maturin 14 Apr 2014 12:26:47 3,231 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not. I only read it a couple of days ago, it's very fresh in my mind. The end of the book is very rushed - the events leading up to the battle and the battle itself happen too quickly on the page.
  • disusedgenius 14 Apr 2014 12:32:21 5,619 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's still a great kid's bedtime book (enough to make it enjoyable to read as an adult as well) - but it's not suited to a film structure in any way.

I'm kinda the opposite in that I like what they added (in theory)... but the second one at least is just a genuinely terrible film.
  • ChiefGB 14 Apr 2014 12:58:29 1,132 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    I'm not. I only read it a couple of days ago, it's very fresh in my mind. The end of the book is very rushed - the events leading up to the battle and the battle itself happen too quickly on the page.
    In fairness I read it for the first time last year and felt pretty much the same. It was all just very throwaway, it's a part that I welcome pj's tinkering an look forward to him giving it some resonance. After hearing about "the battle of five armies" in name only when it came to reading it, it was like the book was running out of pages to tell it. Having said that I watched the second film again this weekend and the ending just doesn't work for me, all that forge nonsense almost derails the entire thing.
  • FatSternKikwi 14 Apr 2014 13:44:42 667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The stuff at the forge was star wars prequel level bad.
  • ubergine 15 Apr 2014 03:11:37 2,881 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LotR was a stellar adaption of a complicated set of book. The Hobbits are a greedy overinflation of a short and simple book. It's not as artless as the Star Wars prequels but it's still an indulgent wank.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• ChiefGB 4 Jul 2014 23:58:27 1,132 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Word from pj is that he has just handed the teaser trailer for bofa over to Warner bros, so I hope this will be out within about a week.
  • ubergine 5 Jul 2014 05:33:10 2,881 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So teasing a teaser trailer is now a thing. I'm surprised there wasn't a countdown to the teaser tease.

• beastmaster 5 Jul 2014 07:46:45 11,992 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I get the running time is going to be another 3 hour one :-(

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• M83J01P97 5 Jul 2014 08:45:51 6,711 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    While it wasn't a terrible film or anything... I found Two really snuffed out my passion for this project... He's dragging out the story too much, it really should just have been one or at a stretch two films, without all the padding he's added.
  • super-s1 5 Jul 2014 09:03:03 709 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Ye they bored me, had to watch them with family otherwise would have avoided. Why not one big cool kid's film like The Neverending Story, instead of all the other rubbish added no one cares about.

And wasn't the best bit of the book bilbo in Smaug's chamber, and it's not even in the final film? Jesus. I'll need a drink if I have to watch the last one too.
  • beastmaster 5 Jul 2014 09:09:10 11,992 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can understand studio greed in wanting to make it three films instead of two. But they could have made three shorter films.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• ChiefGB 5 Jul 2014 12:56:33 1,132 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I heard that this one is likely to be the shortest of the lot
  • ubergine 5 Jul 2014 19:10:49 2,881 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Peter Jackson shat on my childhood and in my mouth, and I paid him up front.

I've no interest in getting these on disc though. Also, I don't really understand the people who thought the second one was WORSE than the first, I thought it was better because dragon. The first one was boring.

• jimnastics 5 Jul 2014 19:36:44 312 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Coming from somebody who's never read any LotR books or The Hobbit, I thoroughly enjoyed both of The Hobbit films. Not as much as the LotR films mind, but still thoroughly enjoyed them, I thought they were excellent fun and great to be back in Middle Earth. Can't wait for the third. My wife, a very typical 30 year old woman when it comes to films, likes The Hobbit films more than the LotR films.

Sometimes I think it's easy to get in to comic book guy mode if you are too involved or invested in something, which I'll be honest comes across a lot in many posts in this thread.
  • super-s1 5 Jul 2014 21:35:41 709 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Comic book guy...? But it's the bloody hobbit. Who hasn't read it or had it read to them?

Still think I would have found it overlong with no previous knowledge.
  • ecu 5 Jul 2014 21:38:38 77,317 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is the 3D any good for the second film? I still haven't seen it. I actually do like 3D when done right but it's pointless in many movies.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last