The Hobbit Page 42

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• Salaman 3 Jan 2013 16:53:52 18,244 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ta, the friend that's coming told me she's not bothered about 3D but is willing to put up with it if I really want to see it that way.

3D it is. I kinda want to see these soap opera style movie visuals.
    My friend will no doubt hate it. :-)
  • Mola_Ram 4 Jan 2013 01:54:24 6,245 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Speaking of Jackson, more people should see his earlier stuff. I'm not just talking about bad taste, but other film fanboy stuff like Forgotten Silver. It's sensational.
    I only saw that recently on DVD, (and it was great) but I remember the controversy when it first was shown on NZ TV because a lot of people got spitting mad when they found out it was a mockumentary.
    Yeah, apparently people were not impressed. Pretty funny, though. It's not an obvious piss-take (like, say, spinal tap) unless you're into film.
  • silentbob 4 Jan 2013 12:27:03 28,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    I like your friend more by the minute. ;)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 12:45:25 41,865 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'Sfunny Bob, I always had you down as an early adopter of unproven technology that fails to match expectations :)

Speaking of which, how's the Oculus Rift coming along?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• silentbob 4 Jan 2013 15:47:33 28,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yer, those pesky HDTVs and Blu-Rays just didn't work out at all did they? ;)

In answer to your other question: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts/380099

\o/

Edited by silentbob at 15:47:44 04-01-2013

• LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 15:50:40 41,865 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're looking for a Senior Software Designer, a Senior Mechanical Designer, and a Senior Hardware Design and RTL Engineer?

No wonder every update so far has been about the casing.

• silentbob 4 Jan 2013 16:14:33 28,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's almost as if they're a fledgling company or something. ;)

• LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 16:16:36 41,865 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's almost as if they had a bright idea, and now they've taken everyone's money they need to get some people to figure out how to actually do what they said they would.

Luckily they don't have to give any of that money back if they can't though.

• silentbob 4 Jan 2013 16:41:22 28,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You're right. I think all the research went into special nerve gas to convince those people they were using a working VR headset or something. Bloody shysters!

God bless you LB, always on hand to brighten my day.

• LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 16:42:24 41,865 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did they fix the dizziness and vomiting problem?

• silentbob 4 Jan 2013 16:46:30 28,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think that was a side-effect of the nerve gas mentioned earlier.

• ecureuil 13 Jan 2013 23:20:12 76,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since seeing the film I've read the book, so I can now nitpick over minor details like everyone else. :)

Good book though, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's so short I don't know why I didn't read it after I read Lord of the Rings. It felt like it would comfortably make two films, certainly too much to fit in to a single film if they wanted to be thorough. Book spoilers: I assume they're going to kill Smaug at the end of the next film then end it with a cliffhanger of wood elves and lake town folk contronting the dwarves. Fuck knows how they'll tie in all the nonsense they added for this first film though.

Edited by ecureuil at 23:34:11 13-01-2013
  • cubbymoore 13 Jan 2013 23:25:17 36,441 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Um, could you maybe spoiler some of that?
  • ecureuil 13 Jan 2013 23:33:00 76,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bloody hell it's been out since 1937!
  • cubbymoore 13 Jan 2013 23:39:37 36,441 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a really slow reader.
  • Gearskin 13 Jan 2013 23:40:07 2,037 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved the movie. Was enough to return to Middle Earth.

Saw it twice, once in HFR 3D.

Fuck. That was amazing at times. Goblin town? Staggering. Gollum? Looked real.
  • Dirtbox 14 Jan 2013 00:53:31 76,340 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did it fuck.

It looked like a bunch of people jumping around in front of a green screen for a year, completely missed the tone of the book and shoehorned in a load of shite to pad time. I dread to think what bollocks he's concocted to drag the remaining half of the book out into 6 more hours.

Edited by Dirtbox at 00:55:04 14-01-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 14 January 2013 00:55:10
    Azog looked like he was done in UE3
  • Dirtbox 14 Jan 2013 00:57:40 76,340 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, pretty much. There were times when it felt, looked and smelt exactly like an old UE tech demo.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• ecureuil 14 Jan 2013 02:28:32 76,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does seem like the worst parts of the film were the parts not in the book. Not sure what Peter Jackson added and what he got from other Tolkien works. The Radagast stuff was a bit weird though.
  • Salaman 14 Jan 2013 09:27:28 18,244 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Ta, the friend that's coming told me she's not bothered about 3D but is willing to put up with it if I really want to see it that way.

3D it is. I kinda want to see these soap opera style movie visuals.
    Saw it last week and we were about 45 minutes in before I remembered that there was something different about the movie to be noticed. I didn't really notice anything about the visuals. I just suddenly remembered "oh wait, this is in 48fps, which people made a big deal about. Well that passed me by unnoticed alright."
    So it's safe to say it didn't really make a lick of difference to me.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 09:29:58 83,875 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just reread the book. I got up to the bit where the film ends in far less time than it took me to watch the film.

This is completely unprecedented.
  • Lukus 14 Jan 2013 09:55:13 18,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reading comprehension fail. Nothing to see here.

Edited by Lukus at 10:43:26 14-01-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• ecureuil 14 Jan 2013 17:54:24 76,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I just reread the book. I got up to the bit where the film ends in far less time than it took me to watch the film.

Like how it goes from leaving Bag End to the troll scene in the space of a few pages. The film has so much stuff in between.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2013 10:24:06
    ecureuil wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Like how it goes from leaving Bag End to the troll scene in the space of a few pages. The film has so much stuff in between.
    i started reading the book last night, and jut finished chapter 2

Reflecting back on the film, what he changed and how he fleshed it out, was for the better. Its pretty jarring in the book to go from bagsend to almost getting eating by trolls which feels literally outside his door. Chapter 3 seems to be set in rivendell as well.

Also he changed quite alot of how scnese play out - i.e bilbo is pretty much on board from the start in the book, and how the troll scene plays out, abeit they use whole text passages and come to the same conclusions.

Def reading the book after, highights some of the thought process behind the script writing and what is good for a film and not for a book. The book is actually quite poorly written, even if it is a children book. In that regard i am impressed by the movie. Actually might see it again just to see how it settled as a movie (i give it a 7/10 atm)
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 17 Jan 2013 10:28:16 10,785 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm off to see it again tonight. Another 2D viewing as I'm not sure I can cope with 3 hours of HFR 3D. Will hold back on the 3D for the Blu ray release.
  • evild_edd 17 Jan 2013 11:59:16 2,924 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    The book is actually quite poorly written, even if it is a children book. In that regard i am impressed by the movie. Actually might see it again just to see how it settled as a movie (i give it a 7/10 atm)
    Only read it once, and many years ago at that, but I found The Hobbit a real slog. The writing is disjointed and there was very little buy-in to the characters. Think I almost read TLOTR trilogy in the same time as The Hobbit as I enjoyed the writing style that much more.

The film made necessary changes to character development to build the emotional attachment of the viewer. I didn't find it too long, but I have my concerns about the fact we've got another two films to go. It's hard not to think that it could have been covered in 'just' two films, but I guess we'll have to reserve judgement until the next installments have been released...

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 17 January 2013 12:41:17
    yeah i agree with you on that, that third film may be a slog too much.
  • yegon 17 Jan 2013 13:00:59 4,908 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I recently read The Hobbit again too. I imagine the talky scenes with the dragon will be the equivalent of the Gollum scenes in part 1 ie. the best bits. I'd forgotten how briefly Smaug is in it, a quick chinwag with Bilbo, a sortie around the mountain, then the Black arrow in his chest over Lake Town. They're blatantly going to drag it out over the final third of pt 2 and first half of pt3 though.
  • nickthegun 17 Jan 2013 13:20:24 55,866 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The journey is the main thing in the hobbit. Its the reason smaug isnt in it that much and then gets offed by some random dude.

Admittedly, thats not very filmic... they will probably change it to thorin doing a kamehameha right through his sternum.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Page

of 51 First / Last