L.A Noire Page 131

  • Page

    of 132 First / Last

  • Load_2.0 2 Feb 2013 11:26:07 23,392 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trying to enjoy this but the whole lie/truth things seems a bit pants.

    It just doesn't seem to work.
  • Ashwood 2 Feb 2013 11:52:47 409 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It helps to think of truth and doubt as coerce and force. Nice and nasty. Good cop, bad cop because that's how Cole will react anyway depending on which button you press.
  • JoeBlade 2 Feb 2013 13:35:53 3,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Trying to enjoy this but the whole lie/truth things seems a bit pants.

    It just doesn't seem to work.
    It's a bit hit-and-miss at times but I found there's a pattern to it:
    1. If you have hard evidence that clearly and directly contradicts what a witness is saying -> lie.
    It's very important that the evidence directly ties to what the witness is saying though, anything even slightly circumstantial won't work.
    2. If you have no reason or evidence whatsoever to doubt the witness, what they're saying seems plausible and they don't act suspiciously -> truth.
    This is probably the hardest one to get right because there are often hidden truths, witnesses may lie with a straight face or, inversely, be nervous for reasons other than your questioning.
    3. Anything else -> doubt. This should be your default, odd though it may seem.
    This option covers anything from "there's more to it than you are telling me" to "I know it's bollocks but don't have anything to prove it".

    Some witnesses are almost impossible to read though, but I suppose that's necessary in order to make the game somewhat challenging and avoid perfect interrogations each time.

    And don't fret over an imperfect interrogation: in most of the cases you can still succeed even if you balls up completely with witnesses, as long as you gather enough evidence.
  • Lexx87 2 Feb 2013 13:47:03 20,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Trying to enjoy this but the whole lie/truth things seems a bit pants.

    It just doesn't seem to work.
    It doesn't work, it's a big load of utter shite.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2013 14:54:23
    My thoughts exactly. Only game that I've ever given up on. Sorely disappointed in this. It's just utter rubbish. The whole questioning thing, which the game is built on, is the most excruciatingly frustrating experience I've had. The graphics are poo, the framerate is poo. It's just poo.

    I don't like it.
  • King_Edward 2 Feb 2013 15:02:54 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really liked it. Too much shooting towards the end, and the issue with the "doubt/be an arsehole" button stopped it being great.

    Enjoyed it more than anything R* have made in years anyway.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2013 15:08:00
    I'm with King_Edward on this one, I really enjoyed it.

    I don't believe a word Lexx says, he's had my copy for about 18 months or more so he must really love it...

    :D
  • Ashwood 2 Feb 2013 15:22:25 409 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The thing with the doubt button is - sometimes the person is telling the truth but you're still meant to select 'doubt'.

    If you have a piece of evidence then you obviously press 'lie'. But if not, it's about getting more information out of them. And you can do that gently (truth) or forcefully (doubt).

    Agree that the game can be a bit messy in this department but once you get used to it, it's a lot more enjoyable.

    Personally, LA Noire remains one of my favourite gaming experiences. Played through it a few times and I'm sure I'll come back again at some point.
  • X201 9 Jul 2013 13:44:43 17,393 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    L.A.Noire, the Commodore 64 version.

  • DUFFMAN5 22 Aug 2016 09:54:16 19,710 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not really into gaming at the moment, (totally killing time until Gears4) I can't get excited about my current gen games at all and wanting something story driven to play alongside Gears/Titanfall I thought it best to visit the backlog I.e. pile of barely started or even still sealed games!

    I decided on this, having only ever played a couple cases years back.
    Two cases down and I fooking love it.
    The production value is amazing just so atmospheric, just think what a sequel would look like.
    Not sure why I never gave it much love (probably couldn't stop playing Gears). At least I have the complete edition to get stuck into.
    ...now where did I put that Django Reinhardt album ;)
  • Humperfunk 22 Aug 2016 10:04:49 5,169 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I played through it again earlier this year. Absolutely love it. Enjoy :)
  • Graxlar_v2 22 Aug 2016 10:07:04 1,157 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I really liked it when i played it. It is just a shame all the shit that went on in the background :(
  • superdelphinus 22 Aug 2016 10:10:34 9,052 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah one of my favourite games over the last few years. They still haven't said there definitely won't be a sequel yet have they?!
  • HarryPalmer 22 Aug 2016 10:15:56 4,616 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed the story, it's just a shame that each mission is EXACTLY THE SAME, which gets old very very quickly imo.

    It was a real disappointment at the time because it was marketed as being sort of a GTA adventure game, with more emphasise on the GTA. It works well played in short bursts because it helps to hide the fact that you are repeating the same sequence of events over and over: go to crime scene, find clues, talk to people, chase suspect, interview suspect, repeat.

    Still probably the best/most accurate open world, which is genuinely interesting to drive around, but there is nothing really to do. As you say the production values are really high, and the music is great.

    Would love a sequel, as the setting is so good.

    Edited by HarryPalmer at 10:16:16 22-08-2016
  • Graxlar_v2 22 Aug 2016 10:18:51 1,157 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I don't think there will be a sequel.

    Wasn't there alot of issues with the developer
  • H1ggyLTD 22 Aug 2016 10:20:56 4,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They tried to make that Whores of Shanghai or whatever it was called, but it got canned because he was kidnapping his teams kids until they finished the game or something like that anyway.

    As for LA - the setting was cool, but the driving, interrogations, and plot holes, were all really bad.


    Completed it though, so.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Aug 2016 10:31:22 139 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    I could see a sequel being released episodically like the new Hitman could be cool.

    I'm not a big episodic gamer but dealing with that months new case might help break it up for people who found doing case after case a bit samey and boring.

    Plus they would be able to make them more standalone than worrying about making the game a cohesive whole. You could do funnier ones or scarier ones and it wouldn't feel like such a weird shift in tone.
  • Goban 22 Aug 2016 10:32:07 9,672 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bought it cheap a few months ago, really should get round to giving it a go.
  • X201 22 Aug 2016 10:39:29 17,393 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rockstar own the IP
    The game sold really well for them, they have described it using the same phrase they used for Red Dead Redemption "it is an important franchise for the company"

    There will be another L.A. Noire, its just a matter of when, Rockstar have a wodge of valuable titles, and now that Rockstar have become a multiplayer DLC factory instead of the kings of the single player game, everything has to wait in a queue behind the multiplayer DLC cash cow :(
  • Baihu1983 22 Aug 2016 10:43:18 6,400 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was OK just needed more variety which I'm sure a sequel would have fixed.

    Enjoyed the homicide parts the most.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Aug 2016 10:50:36 5,485 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It didn't quite know what kind of game it was, but there was the potential there for something very special.
  • X201 22 Aug 2016 10:52:55 17,393 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I could see a sequel being released episodically like the new Hitman could be cool.
    That's actually how I play it
    Its brilliant to play just a single case when you only have a bit of time to spare, and don't want to get weighed down in a heavy story.
  • richarddavies 22 Aug 2016 10:59:42 5,327 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember loving it at the time. There was a few issues with it though. As mentioned above.

    I remember being a bit pissed off by the interrogations. Had no real way of telling what the result might be of your responses.or how to tackle them.
  • X201 22 Aug 2016 11:11:46 17,393 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:

    I remember being a bit pissed off by the interrogations. Had no real way of telling what the result might be of your responses.or how to tackle them.
    That was because of a change by Rockstar for some reason

    The options should have been coax, force and lie but for some reason they changed it to "truth, doubt or lie" which didn't fit the footage as well :-(
  • superdelphinus 22 Aug 2016 11:14:34 9,052 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    An episodic version is a great idea
  • spindle9988 22 Aug 2016 11:15:37 4,283 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this BC?
  • anephric 22 Aug 2016 11:17:38 1,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was going to go back to this after never finishing it, if only to enjoy the golden-age LA setting, which almost completely does not exist anymore in modern-day LA.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Aug 2016 11:24:02 139 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    X201 wrote:
    now that Rockstar have become a multiplayer DLC factory instead of the kings of the single player game, everything has to wait in a queue behind the multiplayer DLC cash cow :(
    It bums me out so much that GTA 5 hasn't had any single player expansions. I'm sure I read that plans were dropped for more GTA Online stuff once that started to take off.
  • H1ggyLTD 22 Aug 2016 11:28:54 4,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep, very worrying.
  • Page

    of 132 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.