Are there any archers here? Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • terminalterror 11 Nov 2006 18:29:59 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :D

Just spent the day in Quicks Archery Store near Hampton Court with 2 people from my club, tried out a variety of bows and now I have my very own bow!

On the downside I'm now 350 poorer, and counting as there are things I need that I haven't bought yet.

The riser I bought was pretty expensive at 215, but is really really nice to shoot, and a thing of beauty. It is incredibly well made, and has a gorgeous anodised finish instead of a cheap looking paint job. The silver one of these. It should last me for ages. I had it in mind for its reputation as a really good riser, but wasn't thinking about it on aesthetic grounds. It is so much nicer to look at in the flesh though, utterly gorgeous, and very strokable.

Also bought some decent but not too expensive limbs (90), as I'll probably be upgrading those at some point in the future, and some more money on all the other bits and bobs.

Not cheap, but damn nice. I don't think I've ever spent that much on anything before, with the exception of my laptop.

I'll be spending another 120 on carbon arrows before the outdoor season too. I fear I've started a slippery slope to poverty, as there is always something you can replace on your bow with something better and more expensive :(

However, overall I'm beaming.

Don't let this put you off archery though, you only need to spend large sums of money if you want really really good equipment and are taking the sport pretty seriously.
  • Carlo 11 Nov 2006 18:41:36 18,048 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TT, is there a site that list all the component parts to a modern bow? You mentioned a few things you bought today, but I have no idea what they all are :)

Risers, limbs etc etc.

(also, is there a 'cheap' or beginners one I can buy and 'play with' at home... Got a 70' garden and a devilish idea)

Sorry last thing: am I 'allowed' to have one at home? do I need a licence like my Dad needed to get for a shotgun type thing?

Aha! What would you recommend?!?!?!

Edited by Carlo at 18:43:23 11-11-2006

PSN ID: Djini

• terminalterror 11 Nov 2006 18:46:07 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    TT, is there a site that list all the component parts to a modern bow? You mentioned a few things you bought today, but I have no idea what they all are :)

Risers, limbs etc etc.

(also, is there a 'cheap' or beginners one I can buy and 'play with' at home... Got a 70' garden and a devilish idea)

Sorry last thing: am I 'allowed' to have one at home? do I need a licence like my Dad needed to get for a shotgun type thing?

You don't need a license, but you probably need to be a member of GNAS and ensure that your garden meets their range safety requirements, in which case you should be covered legally and insurance wise as well. You might require two GNAS members to make it a proper range though.

No idea how things work if you just set up a target and start shooting. You should be OK provided you don't miss :)

parts of a bow, but you could probably find better. You don't need much more than a riser, limbs, string, an arrow rest and arrows to start out with.
  • Carlo 11 Nov 2006 18:49:38 18,048 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :)

Thanks TT

PSN ID: Djini

• Lutz 11 Nov 2006 18:50:08 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Used to be an archer about... oh... 13 years ago. Great fun, but knackering. My whole family got it into, and my uncle is still shooting today. IIRC his handicap it 17. Bloody good he is.

Hope you're loving it TT, it's great.
  • Lutz 11 Nov 2006 18:51:23 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Are you kidding? I'd have thought a crossbow'd be deadlier than a bow.
    IIRC a Crossbow is more lethal over shorter range, but a decent bow will shoot further and faster. It's also down to the projectile: A heavy crossbow will shoot a heavier bolt, compared to a the light arrows fired from a bow.

I think.
  • ProfessorLesser 11 Nov 2006 21:40:13 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck me TT, how did you manage to afford that? I'm stretching to get hold of the next Zelda and Metroid!
  • terminalterror 12 Nov 2006 01:24:44 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Fuck me TT, how did you manage to afford that? I'm stretching to get hold of the next Zelda and Metroid!

A combination of birthday money and savings.

The riser (where most of my money went) should last me for a very long time, and all the stuff retains quite a reasonable resale value.

I also figure that so much of my money goes on transient things (rent, food, films, games, drink) that I want to have something really nice that is a bit more permanent.

Also, I've decided not to bother with a Wii at launch, and wait till next year when more games I really want are out.

Edited by terminalterror at 01:25:19 12-11-2006
  • terminalterror 13 Nov 2006 15:56:10 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :D

Spent the session yesterday evening tuning my lovely new bow. I'm not quite done, but it shoots really really nicely, and it still looks gorgeous.

\o/

There is a nice long session tomorrow afternoon and I really want to play with my new bow some more, but I'm committed to coaching our new set of novices. Maybe I'll just set it up and stroke it in between imparting advice.
  • Ginger 15 Nov 2006 09:48:43 6,836 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bumpity bump - looks like I'm going to sign up for a 5 week beginners course to see if I like it / am naturally gifted.

Will report back on injuries sustained and accidental wounding of passers by :)

London open taekwondo champion

• brokenkey 15 Nov 2006 10:53:46 7,028 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    bumpity bump - looks like I'm going to sign up for a 5 week beginners course to see if I like it / am naturally gifted.

ohh, where are you doing that? I was going to do a course with my local club but I ended up missing it because of work trips abroad.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• SlackMaster 15 Nov 2006 11:04:38 3,134 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Or any ex-archerys? Just curious.

EDIT: If you aren't an archer a lot of this might not make any sense.

I took up archery last year with the uni's archery club, and really took to it. Now I'm a committee member, training to become a level 1 GNAS coach and about to buy my own bow, as the club GM that I'm renting I have to give back this term.

I shoot recurve target archery. None of this compound cheating malarky.

Getting to the point of buying a bow really does make you question your commitment when you are spending 450ish for the bow and all the crap to with it.

Edited by terminalterror at 12:04:00 10-11-2006

I really wanted to get into Archery but not been able to find anywhere in London. Was thinking of getting myself a bow and arrows from Decathalon but think they'd arrest me if I put a target up on the local heath.
  • terminalterror 15 Nov 2006 11:07:48 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SlackMaster wrote:
    I really wanted to get into Archery but not been able to find anywhere in London. Was thinking of getting myself a bow and arrows from Decathalon but think they'd arrest me if I put a target up on the local heath.

I wouldn't recommend that.

List of all the GNAS clubs in London (Grand National Archery Society).
  • terminalterror 15 Nov 2006 11:09:49 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ginger wrote:

\o/

Remember to tell them TT sent you so I get my live target commission!

It would be an incredibly shitty club if you picked up any injuries, or managed to wound anybody. You'd only really be able to do that if you pointed your bow in the wrong direction, and that isn't accidental.
  • Darts_Venom 24 Apr 2007 17:12:08 99 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay this is an ancient thread but I shoot LongBow with the London Archers at the moment. They are starting their beginners course soon if anyone is interested. Its held in Kennsington Palace Gardens, Hyde Park.

Details...
  • Salaman 24 Apr 2007 17:20:47 19,036 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    2 weeks ago, as I was coming home with a friend, I saw a sign 100 yards before my house "OPEN DOOR - FREE ARCHERY TRIALS" or something similar.

So we walked over and it appears there's a club shooting down there. They gave us a generic bow and a few arrows to have a go and it was quite fun. Might sign up for their starter course as it's easy enough to walk over 2 minutes once a week. :-)

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Nasty 11 Nov 2012 13:07:04 4,742 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally back at archery after far too long away from it.

Shooting a father-in-law made Longbow and my old takedown recurve. My new toy will be winging its way to me in the next few months hopefully :)

Doing the BLBS postal league this year but will hang fire on GNAS this year. Need more practice before my recurve is worth anything.

Anyone else still shooting?
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next