Are there any archers here?

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
  • terminalterror 10 Nov 2006 12:01:48 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or any ex-archerys? Just curious.

    EDIT: If you aren't an archer a lot of this might not make any sense.

    I took up archery last year with the uni's archery club, and really took to it. Now I'm a committee member, training to become a level 1 GNAS coach and about to buy my own bow, as the club GM that I'm renting I have to give back this term.

    I shoot recurve target archery. None of this compound cheating malarky.

    Getting to the point of buying a bow really does make you question your commitment when you are spending 450ish for the bow and all the crap to with it.

    Edited by terminalterror at 12:04:00 10-11-2006
  • Fat-Boy 10 Nov 2006 12:03:57 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got some Baileys on the Birds side of my drinks cabinet. That any good to you?
  • Dirtbox 10 Nov 2006 12:04:00 79,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When I was about 10 I used to hang out with a kid in my street who was the under 16s UK champ, he wasn't allowed to bring his bow out of the house though.

    Probably just as well.

    Sorry, no help.

    Edited by Dirtbox at 12:04:05 10-11-2006

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • BravoGolf Moderator 10 Nov 2006 12:04:46 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bought a bow for my father a few months ago. Man, it rocks. Really enjoy it. If you shoot it upright is simply dissappears for quite a while (but we attached a feather type that makes a noise in the air to help track it).

    Full range would be about 3 acres distance, whatever that is (was on a farm in the middle of nowhere, see). Damn good fun and hugely satisfying when one hits the target from afar
  • BravoGolf Moderator 10 Nov 2006 12:06:55 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    Have done quite a bit of archery in the last year due to my wife and her folks being keen archers. They are members of the local club and have won tons of competitions.

    I went for lessons every Sunday for a while until some back trouble stopped me for a bit. Not started back yet.

    There was often folks there with really elaborate gear, with all manner of sights, weights etc. It looked so pointless to me. With all the gear they would never ever miss. Might as well have been firing from a crossbow on a tripod. Doesn't appeal.

    The simpler the bow, the more I enjoyed what I was doing.

    Agreed. All you need is one good bow and some decent arrows and you're sorted. Loses all the fun when one attaches aiming sights and gear and stuff.
  • terminalterror 10 Nov 2006 12:07:05 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Bought a bow for my father a few months ago. Man, it rocks. Really enjoy it. If you shoot it upright is simply dissappears for quite a while (but we attached a feather type that makes a noise in the air to help track it).

    Full range would be about 3 acres distance, whatever that is (was on a farm in the middle of nowhere, see). Damn good fun and hugely satisfying when one hits the target from afar

    Shooting upright doesn't sound like a very sensible idea to me...
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Nov 2006 12:08:03 35,851 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Harry wrote:

    There was often folks there with really elaborate gear, with all manner of sights, weights etc. It looked so pointless to me. With all the gear they would never ever miss. Might as well have been firing from a crossbow on a tripod. Doesn't appeal.

    The simpler the bow, the more I enjoyed what I was doing.

    +1

    Never really did archery, but find it a fascinating sport in general, but the high-tech gear you see at the Olympics is a bit annoying. Always looks like cheating to me.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 10 Nov 2006 12:08:14 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Full range would be about 3 acres distance, whatever that is (was on a farm in the middle of nowhere, see). Damn good fun and hugely satisfying when one hits the target from afar

    I'd love to have a go at that. The short range indoor stuff has bored me to tears, it's just too easy and more a matter of stance than any aiming judgement.

    I got bored of straight line archery, I'd rather have a crack at some up and over stuff.

    Next time you're in Ireland, give me a shout! We inherited a farm and all we use it for is rally driving (albeit rarely at the mo) and archery. It's perfect, right up in the mountains and no other nearby people.

    It's beautiful too, no sounds but the wind and nature, it's right up the mountains so the view is amazing.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 10 Nov 2006 12:08:55 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Bought a bow for my father a few months ago. Man, it rocks. Really enjoy it. If you shoot it upright is simply dissappears for quite a while (but we attached a feather type that makes a noise in the air to help track it).

    Full range would be about 3 acres distance, whatever that is (was on a farm in the middle of nowhere, see). Damn good fun and hugely satisfying when one hits the target from afar

    Shooting upright doesn't sound like a very sensible idea to me...

    LOL :) No, not really. But it was fun and that's what matters :-P

    We left three people there that day ...
  • BravoGolf Moderator 10 Nov 2006 12:12:15 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Next time you're in Ireland, give me a shout! We inherited a farm and all we use it for is rally driving (albeit rarely at the mo) and archery. It's perfect, right up in the mountains and no other nearby people.

    It's beautiful too, no sounds but the wind and nature, it's right up the mountains so the view is amazing.

    Sounds fabulous.

    My late uncle had a gorgeous farm in the peak district, spent every Sunday there for the first half of my life.

    Yeah, I used to go there a lot (lived in England as kid). If ever any of you lot are in Eire, for that matter, you're more than welcome to avail of the empty farm for camping and stuff where you can play PSP around the fire and then wonder what to do next :)
  • MetalDog 10 Nov 2006 12:13:02 23,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to shoot. Longbow, field archery. None of this recurve target wussyness =)
    Good fun, still have the bow, but no time/transport to go to the shoots anymore.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • Fat-Boy 10 Nov 2006 12:14:16 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    I hate archers, the archers and.. Jeffrey Archer

    Although that only apllies to archers and Jeffery Archer, not The Archers, who are, to be fair, a mixed bag.
  • ProfessorLesser 10 Nov 2006 12:15:58 19,417 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    I hate archers, the archers and.. Jeffrey Archer
    :-D

    D'oh... beaten to the extended quote...

    Edited by ProfessorLesser at 12:15:57 10-11-2006
  • Pike 10 Nov 2006 12:19:08 13,447 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Arching? FFS! Get a grip and move into the 21st century.

    :p
  • terminalterror 10 Nov 2006 12:20:08 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Harry wrote:
    Have done quite a bit of archery in the last year due to my wife and her folks being keen archers. They are members of the local club and have won tons of competitions.

    I went for lessons every Sunday for a while until some back trouble stopped me for a bit. Not started back yet.

    There was often folks there with really elaborate gear, with all manner of sights, weights etc. It looked so pointless to me. With all the gear they would never ever miss. Might as well have been firing from a crossbow on a tripod. Doesn't appeal.

    The simpler the bow, the more I enjoyed what I was doing.

    Agreed. All you need is one good bow and some decent arrows and you're sorted. Loses all the fun when one attaches aiming sights and gear and stuff.

    I can see where you are coming from, but while all that stuff really helps (although a sight is pretty essential for freestyle archery), you still have to be good, or you'll have no consistency.

    I like the feeling of having everything under tension in a very controlled stance, as you clear your mind and really focus.


    If you are just shooting for fun then like BG says, you don't need much more than a decent bow and set of arrows.

    If like me you take it reasonably seriously then you start needing all the extra equipment stuff. Plus you get the whole gadgety purchasing fun aspect as well.

    I'm currently shooting this (but with a sight and longrod as well), which I rent from the club.


    Taking things to extremes you get compound bows, which use pulleys to have a large amount of power, but minimal weight at full draw. You can also use stuff banned in freestyle recurve archery, like scope sights, and mechanical release aids.

    You end up shooting so well that a 10 is normal, anything less is a miss and you can't make a good shot. Kinda takes the fun out a bit.

    Compound archer


    Shooting indoors is fun, but outdoors is better because you shoot over much longer distances so can see the arrows arcing through the air and then hear a distant thud as they land on the target.
  • Carlo 10 Nov 2006 12:21:15 18,219 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Archery association

    With a list of places that do it...

    PSN ID: Djini

  • terminalterror 10 Nov 2006 12:21:48 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    Arching? FFS! Get a grip and move into the 21st century.

    :p

    Where is the fun in that? All you do is point it and twitch your finger a little. Very impersonal.
  • espadachin 10 Nov 2006 12:24:10 2,210 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    did it every saturday for about a year (a morden bowman no less), great fun!
    simple bows were the best, but stopped as it was eating my whole day travelling there and back!
    would start again if there were somewhere closer.
  • terminalterror 10 Nov 2006 12:24:27 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Harry wrote:

    There was often folks there with really elaborate gear, with all manner of sights, weights etc. It looked so pointless to me. With all the gear they would never ever miss. Might as well have been firing from a crossbow on a tripod. Doesn't appeal.

    The simpler the bow, the more I enjoyed what I was doing.

    +1

    Never really did archery, but find it a fascinating sport in general, but the high-tech gear you see at the Olympics is a bit annoying. Always looks like cheating to me.

    Sure the high-tech gear gives you a boost, but you still need to have a really good technique to get anywhere. Archery is all about doing the exact same thing every single time, and that is a bloody hard thing to do, with so many parts of your body that can do things differently without you ever noticing. At a reasonable level, archery requires a great deal of awareness and self control. Almost like meditation, only with shooting stuff.
  • SirScratchalot 10 Nov 2006 12:27:25 7,877 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Harry wrote:

    There was often folks there with really elaborate gear, with all manner of sights, weights etc. It looked so pointless to me. With all the gear they would never ever miss. Might as well have been firing from a crossbow on a tripod. Doesn't appeal.

    The simpler the bow, the more I enjoyed what I was doing.

    +1

    Never really did archery, but find it a fascinating sport in general, but the high-tech gear you see at the Olympics is a bit annoying. Always looks like cheating to me.

    Sure the high-tech gear gives you a boost, but you still need to have a really good technique to get anywhere. Archery is all about doing the exact same thing every single time, and that is a bloody hard thing to do, with so many parts of your body that can do things differently without you ever noticing. At a reasonable level, archery requires a great deal of awareness and self control. Almost like meditation, only with shooting stuff.

    Color me interested. I've been looking for a hobby,maybe I should check for local clubs. Hmmmmm....
  • pjmaybe 10 Nov 2006 12:27:51 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Serious archery questions I'm researching at the moment for a short story. I need to know..

    1) What the average pull on a decent fibreglass bow is (lbs/sq inch)
    2) Whether it would be feasible to mill your own arrows (from what materials? I don't know).
    3) What range is effective to put an arrow through someone and be assured a kill.

    I know this all sounds morbid but bear with me, it'll be useful in the long run.

    Peej
  • ProfessorLesser 10 Nov 2006 12:29:30 19,417 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Pike wrote:
    Arching? FFS! Get a grip and move into the 21st century.

    :p

    Where is the fun in that? All you do is point it and twitch your finger a little. Very impersonal.
    I actually went along to the University Rifle Association, and TT's right, it's so dull. Lie down, aim, wait, twitch, reload, wait, twitch, reload, wait, twitch.

    Bang bang bang bang. Oh look I hit the target 15 times. Right, time to go.

    :-|

    Unfortunately I missed every single damn one of the University Bowmen Fresher's sessions, which I'm really pissed about because I'd love to get into archery. If I wanted to start now I'd have to pay 30 without training or a trial, and it's bloody miles away to boot.
  • Nasty 10 Nov 2006 12:38:25 4,748 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Serious archery questions I'm researching at the moment for a short story. I need to know..

    1) What the average pull on a decent fibreglass bow is (lbs/sq inch)
    2) Whether it would be feasible to mill your own arrows (from what materials? I don't know).
    3) What range is effective to put an arrow through someone and be assured a kill.

    I know this all sounds morbid but bear with me, it'll be useful in the long run.

    Peej

    1) Limbs range normally from 25-45lb. For kids/beginners it 10-15.

    2) Modern arrows are normally carbon fibre. My father in law makes his own longbows and arrows though so i'll ask if you want to see what woods he uses.

    3) 100-150yds would still see and arrow get a good way into a normal thicknes boss. (would depend on the bow poundage of course. I shot a 50lb bow cos i'm a big bugger)

    Haven't done archery for a few years now but I do miss it. Was in the Kilwinning Archers (supposedly the oldest archery group in UK if not the world).

    And yes, I would stick with a normal fibre bow with a few stabalisers and a normal sight to keep it fun. Shoot longbow if you want to try something different.

    Edited by Nasty at 12:39:30 10-11-2006
  • pjmaybe 10 Nov 2006 12:45:25 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fantastic stuff Nasty, if you do get an answer on the types of wood that would be superb.

    Peej
  • Salaman 10 Nov 2006 13:55:36 19,602 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Bought a bow for my father a few months ago. Man, it rocks. Really enjoy it. If you shoot it upright is simply dissappears for quite a while (but we attached a feather type that makes a noise in the air to help track it).

    Full range would be about 3 acres distance, whatever that is (was on a farm in the middle of nowhere, see). Damn good fun and hugely satisfying when one hits the target from afar

    Shooting upright doesn't sound like a very sensible idea to me...

    You call yourself an archer?
    It's one of the common ways to do it with competitions and all.

    see?

    edit: fixed borked linkeage


    Edited by Salaman at 13:59:57 10-11-2006
  • terminalterror 10 Nov 2006 13:57:11 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Serious archery questions I'm researching at the moment for a short story. I need to know..

    1) What the average pull on a decent fibreglass bow is (lbs/sq inch)
    2) Whether it would be feasible to mill your own arrows (from what materials? I don't know).
    3) What range is effective to put an arrow through someone and be assured a kill.

    I know this all sounds morbid but bear with me, it'll be useful in the long run.

    Peej

    1) Limbs range normally from 25-45lb. For kids/beginners it 10-15.

    2) Modern arrows are normally carbon fibre. My father in law makes his own longbows and arrows though so i'll ask if you want to see what woods he uses.

    3) 100-150yds would still see and arrow get a good way into a normal thicknes boss. (would depend on the bow poundage of course. I shot a 50lb bow cos i'm a big bugger)

    Haven't done archery for a few years now but I do miss it. Was in the Kilwinning Archers (supposedly the oldest archery group in UK if not the world).

    And yes, I would stick with a normal fibre bow with a few stabalisers and a normal sight to keep it fun. Shoot longbow if you want to try something different.

    You won't get much more than 15lbs out of a fibreglass bow though, they are only used for little kiddies and really weak people.

    Normally you'll start on a wooden riser (the bit in the middle that you hold onto) with wood laminate limbs (the bits at the end that bend), and then move up to a metal riser and carbon laminate limbs, and then carbon foam limbs at the top end.


    You'll have to pretty damn close to kill somebody with a fibreglass bow, but with a decent recurve you'll probably kill somebody regardless of range, but to be able to hit them then they'd probably have to be within 90m (if you are really good) or about 50m if you are reasonable.


    What sort of bow are you thinking of for your story? A traditional longbow type thing, or a modern sporting recurve type thing? The former is much more powerful, but less accurate.
  • pjmaybe 10 Nov 2006 13:59:34 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm going for "As handtooled as possible" - I just wanted to know the glass bow stats for another aspect of the story.

    Basically the story involves a series of grisly deaths committed by someone using a bow. At first it was going to be a crossbow but I'm not sure if there's much chance a crossbow bolt would kill anyone (not even sure an arrow would - I guess if you shot 'em through the head with it, it might).

    The "hand tooled arrow" question was to avoid the killer being traced.

    Just a few ideas I'm bandying about but all the info is very useful.

    Peej
  • Salaman 10 Nov 2006 14:01:44 19,602 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you kidding? I'd have thought a crossbow'd be deadlier than a bow.
  • terminalterror 10 Nov 2006 14:05:06 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Harry wrote:

    There was often folks there with really elaborate gear, with all manner of sights, weights etc. It looked so pointless to me. With all the gear they would never ever miss. Might as well have been firing from a crossbow on a tripod. Doesn't appeal.

    The simpler the bow, the more I enjoyed what I was doing.

    +1

    Never really did archery, but find it a fascinating sport in general, but the high-tech gear you see at the Olympics is a bit annoying. Always looks like cheating to me.

    Sure the high-tech gear gives you a boost, but you still need to have a really good technique to get anywhere. Archery is all about doing the exact same thing every single time, and that is a bloody hard thing to do, with so many parts of your body that can do things differently without you ever noticing. At a reasonable level, archery requires a great deal of awareness and self control. Almost like meditation, only with shooting stuff.

    Color me interested. I've been looking for a hobby,maybe I should check for local clubs. Hmmmmm....

    list of clubs

    Another reason that archery really appeals to me is that it is a highly social, but individual sport. You only really compete against yourself, so you can push yourself to improve and be the best that you can, or you can just do it to relieve stress or have some fun.

    The beauty of it is that everybody can do all these different things at the same time.

    Archery is probably the most inclusive sport I can think of. There is no ability requirement and it is a very big disabled sport, because disabled archers can shoot equally alongside able bodied archers. You can shoot from a wheelchair, or if you are blind, or with learning difficulties, if you are a highly motivated, physically fit sporting person, or a couch potato.

    In tournaments novices shoot alongside people of international standard (although they aren't directly competing).

    Also, because it isn't massively popular (like football) and everybody comes in as total beginners, most people are capable of competing a very high level provided you put in the work, and competing at a reasonable level is within everybody's reach.
  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply