The "I didn't know my XBox 360 could do that" thread

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • CyberClaw 9 Nov 2006 11:37:15 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did a couple of similar threads on other topics in the past, and the idea is to share some tips on stuff people might not be aware of, and questions comunly asked.

Anyway, the XBox 360:

-USB Ports, Hubs, Controlers-
    -supports USB Keyboards. Just plug your USB Keyboard to the XBox 360, and type away (be it to fill in data in the dashboard, to send messages to other players, or to use in PSU, any USB Keyboard will work with the XBox 360)

-supports 4 wired controlers. You just need to use a USB HUB (all the USB stuff can be connected to USB HUBs, including the webcam, wireless adapter, etc)

-only supports wireless microsoft controlers. That means we won't see wireless guitars for Guitar Hero II, or any other similar stuff, other than the MS wireless products (Wireless Wheel, controler and comunicator)

-You can keep charging your controlers with your XBox 360 turned off. Just turn off the console like you would any other time (with your controlers already connected), and after 2 or 3 secconds your controlers should light up, and the charging leds should turn up again (the console will keep making a very low "hum", despite all the leds being turned off). When the controlers are charged the console will totally shut off.

-The 360 doesn't read USB HDDs that are formatted for NTFS. Which is a bummer if you have HD downloads, as they can typically exceed the 4GB file size limit of FAT32. [by bivith]

-You can use your wired XBox 360 controler on your Windows XP PC.

-Dashboard Tricks-
    -supports custom dashboard background images. Go to your media blade, select pictures, select either your PC (with shared pictures via Media Connect) or a USB device, place the cursor over the picture you wish to put in the background, and press X (do not select the picture, you need to be on the directory screen). You cannot put different pictures in different blades however.

-You can turn on the console remotly by pressing the guide button or the start button on the controler for 2 or 3 secconds. You can also turn it off remotly, by pressing the guide button for 5 secconds, where a new menu will pop up, asking you if you want to turn off the console or turn off the wireless controler.

-Pressing the guide button when the notification for friend logging on appears will bring up their gamercard, allowing you to message or invite them to your game. [by Tiger_Walts] this tip works with any notification pop up BTW. PRessing when you win an achievement shows the achievement screen when you receive a message shows you the message, etc.

-You can disable communication from anyone who is not on your friends list. It's hidden away in a Live options menu accessed by clicking on the gamercard. It can be found by clicking on your gamercard in any of the blades that display it. Then click Account Management > Privacy Settings > Communications - from there you can choose Everyone / Friends Only / Blocked. [by BraveArse]

-Media Streaming-
    -only suports WMV movie streaming from your PC (both in Media Center, and Media Connect), and does not support DivX, MPeg, Mov, XVid, Avi, etc.

-You can skip your custom soundtracks while playing games by pressing the skip button on the remote (both remotes work, the Limited Edition, and the Media one), no need to go to the guide menu. [Windows MCE remotes, or even a Universal remote if you find the codes work as well; thanks Valver]

-If you have a Mac you can still stream content to your 360 (not video) using: http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/connect360 [by Vroom!]

-The 360 recognises WMP and M3U playlist files, use these to create playlists quicker and easier than with the 360's interface. [by Tiger_Walts & nickthegun] This is very handy. Create a playlist of the MP3s on your PC, put the folder with the playlist shared on the Media Connect, and that playlist should show up under Playlists in your Music Player screen.

-If you're ripping music to your 360 HDD, it does support CDDB lookups so you dont have to enter song titles manually. [by Furbs]

-Hardware Problems-
    -Don't use a cheap surge protector/plug strip. It'll underfeed your XBox 360, and it might result in ocasional crashes.

-Don't ever move your XBox 360 with a disk inside. It might scratch the disk or damage the lens. Don't put it standing or lying down either, with a disk inside, much less while the console is turned on.

-Avoid carpets and such fabrics. Lay the console on top of cold materials (a wood desk, stone floor, etc). Never on top of carpets because these will heat up the console considerably. Don't stack the XBox on top of other electronic devices. This goes to every eletronic device actually. Avoid carpets and such, and stacking them up is usually not a good idea (specially hot stuff like the XBox 360, or a PS3).

Edited by CyberClaw at 10:52:42 10-11-2006
  • Deleted user 9 November 2006 11:41:31
    CyberClaw wrote:
    -You can skip your custom soundtracks while playing games by pressing the skip button on the remote (both remotes work, the Limited Edition, and the Media one), no need to go to the guide menu.

I like that one. I was very happy when I discovered it :)
  • jellyhead 9 Nov 2006 11:41:55 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This thread is going to go down the Viz Top Tips route isn't it?
    I can feel it in me waters. :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• octo 9 Nov 2006 11:42:39 979 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found out about the (limited) ipod support last night. Well I knew about it I had just never used it. Playing the Tony Hawk demo with your own music is nice. No need to listen to the stuff in game if you don't want to. It's not an essentially feature of the system but it's nice all the same that I can have that option. Although oddly, it won't play some stuff even though I own no drm'd music.
  • JayPee 9 Nov 2006 11:43:22 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CyberClaw wrote:
    -only supports wireless microsoft controlers. That means we won't see wireless guitars for Guitar Hero II, or any other similar stuff, other than the MS wireless products (Wireless Wheel, controler and comunicator)
    What about 3rd party wireless pads?
  • jellyhead 9 Nov 2006 11:43:30 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Might be a filename length or illegal character in the filename issue, octo.

• Deleted user 9 November 2006 11:44:10
    Oh yeah, you can lob any old USB stick in and play MP3s directly from it.
  • octo 9 Nov 2006 11:45:22 979 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:

Cheers, I'll check that out.
  • JayPee 9 Nov 2006 11:46:12 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CyberClaw wrote:
    -You can keep charging your controlers with your XBox 360 turned off. Just turn off the console like you would any other time (with your controlers already connected), and after 2 or 3 secconds your controlers should light up, and the charging leds should turn up again (the console will keep making a very low "hum", despite all the leds being turned off). When the controlers are charged the console will totally shut off.
    Not sure if it totally charges them, or charges them to a certain percentage (like 80% or so).

The 'hum' I have found to be pretty loud really. Investment in the charging dock was a good idea.
  • CyberClaw 9 Nov 2006 11:46:29 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    CyberClaw wrote:
    Show me a single 3rd party wireless pad for the 360.

Like I said, MS hasn't allowed anyone to publish 3rd party wireless products yet. As far as I know all the 3rd party controlers are wired.
  • Ginger_Messiah 9 Nov 2006 11:47:21 952 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CyberClaw wrote:
    JayPee wrote:
    CyberClaw wrote:

Like I said, MS hasn't allowed anyone to publish 3rd party wireless products yet. As far as I know all the 3rd party controlers are wired.

Isn't there a logitech wireless steering wheel? I may well be worng

Edit: seems i am wrong i can only find info on the official one.

Edited by Ginger_Messiah at 11:48:50 09-11-2006
  • CyberClaw 9 Nov 2006 11:48:48 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    It only supports MP3s on the iPod. If the file is protected, or in ACC format for example, it wont play on the 360.

JayPee wrote:
    CyberClaw wrote:
    Not sure if it totally charges them, or charges them to a certain percentage (like 80% or so).

Yes, I did notice that the console might sometimes read the batery as charged when it's not completly charged.
  • semprini 9 Nov 2006 11:50:25 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good thread, thanks CyberClaw.

Only found out about the controller being able to turn on the console last week. Genius idea, and now i know it can turn it off too that's even better.

Didn't know you could upload backgrounds either, i'll try that later.

Got to buy one of those Play and Charge things soon.
  • Pob 9 Nov 2006 11:50:42 680 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CyberClaw wrote:
    -Don't use a cheap surge protector/plug strip. It'll underfeed your XBox 360, and it might result in ocasional crashes.

Ah. So that'll be why my 360 seems to crash more often than other peoples.

/has two wall sockets that need to support 2 monitors, cheap speakers, PC, 360, a phone charger and 2 lamps.

/throws nyko intercooler in the bin.
  • CyberClaw 9 Nov 2006 11:51:31 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ginger_Messiah wrote:
    Isn't there a logitech wireless steering wheel? I may well be worng
    Not according to their own site
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/PT/EN,CRID=2240,CONTENTID=11859

There is a MS wireless steering wheel, but the forcefeedback only works when connected to the power.

That's the reason there is no intention to create a Guitar Hero II wireless guitar so far.
  • JayPee 9 Nov 2006 11:52:25 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CyberClaw wrote:
    JayPee wrote:
    CyberClaw wrote:
    Soz yeah you're right.

I would NEVER buy a 3rd party pad for any console though, so I hadn't really payed that much attention to them.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2006 11:53:03
    Pob wrote:
    CyberClaw wrote:

/has two wall sockets that need to support 2 monitors, cheap speakers, PC, 360, a phone charger and 2 lamps.

o_0
  • CyberClaw 9 Nov 2006 11:55:40 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Pob wrote:

o_0

Some people even reported that their console had ocasionally the 3 lights of death, and if they took of the surge protector the console would work fine for hours, and when they tryed the surge protector again it'd start crashing again in a matter of minutes.
  • Pob 9 Nov 2006 12:04:55 680 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boabg wrote:

o_0

Don't worry, I've rectified the situation now!

Edit: But it does mean that lots of plugging and un-plugging must take place everytime I want to use...anything.

Edited by Pob at 12:05:09 09-11-2006
  • Derblington 9 Nov 2006 12:10:50 22,281 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "-supports 4 wired controlers. You just need to use a USB HUB"

lol

This is another 'SKY is BLUE' thread. Awesome.
  • CyberClaw 9 Nov 2006 12:15:19 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    "-supports 4 wired controlers. You just need to use a USB HUB"

lol

This is another 'SKY is BLUE' thread. Awesome.

Actually some knowledge some people take for granted, other people don't know about. For you and me, we know USB is generic, and that any USB HUB will work to connect various wired controlers to the XBox. But I've hear many times people asking how to connect more than 2 (or 3 for those that found the USB in the back) wired controlers, or if you needed one of them to be wireless.

Not everyone is a technowiz
  • Derblington 9 Nov 2006 12:16:46 22,281 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But the price of the USB hub will cover the difference in cost of a wireless controller. Just seems a little stupid to me.

Edited by Derblington at 12:16:37 09-11-2006
  • Kilters 9 Nov 2006 12:22:15 579 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does the wireless adapter work through a usb hub?

Would be handy to have a keyboard and HDD aswell as the adapter connecting 'round back. Much more pleasing to the eye.
  • Derblington 9 Nov 2006 12:27:12 22,281 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Unless you have a USB hub hanging around as most of us do.
    But we'ew not the people he's talking otherwise we'd already know.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 9 Nov 2006 12:29:47 39,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm pleased about the fact you can stream music and pictures off your PC without WMP11.

You can also turn off your Xbox by pressing the guide button, going to "Personal Settings" then selecting "Shut down".

Also - the sky IS blue.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Derblington 9 Nov 2006 12:31:01 22,281 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    You can also turn off your Xbox by pressing the guide button, going to "Personal Settings" then selecting "Shut down".

Also - the sky IS blue.
    Just hold the Guide button for 3 seconds and it asks you if you want to shut it down.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 9 Nov 2006 12:31:34 39,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, I know. I was just pointing out another way :-)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mouse 9 Nov 2006 12:33:45 10,310 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Music visualations in the music player can be viewed in full screen and are interactive. You can rotate 360 in any direction and zoom in and out.

Add extra controllers for dull 'multiplayer' visualisation dickery.

/hates hippytastic visualisations
    /hates hippies
  • jellyhead 9 Nov 2006 12:39:02 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The sky can also be red or orange at dawn/dusk and it can be black and twinkly at night! So the sky is not always blue. :)
    I've sent this info to some of my 360 owning mates as some of the info will be new to them and the advice to check your surge protector is a good idea too.

Edited by jellyhead at 12:44:13 09-11-2006

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous