Which Mega Drive RPG first? Have a warm bath and think about it.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • caligari 9 Nov 2006 05:02:24 17,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry about starting yet another 'Sega-themed' thread (Dirtbox - I can see you rolling your eyes)!

I've never actually played through a Mega Drive RPG before (mainly because they all seem to sell for stupidly big bucks) but it's getting to the point where I feel the need to splash out on one.

The following few have always looked rather interesting:

Shadowrun - praised by SirScratch

Soleil - high-fived by Onny

Phantasy Star 4 - kissed by Darkmistx

Shining Force 1 and 2 - supported by Kcorb)

The Story of Thor (Beyond The Oasis)

Landstalker

Buck Rogers - loved by Hughes and FluffyTucker

Sword of Vermillion - bigged up by BlackCelebration

Shining in the Darkness - dissed by Itamae and Kcorb

D&D - Warriors of the Eternal Sun - stroked by w00t and Machetazo

Light Crusader - licked by Wolfen

Wonderboy in Monster World - hugged by me

The Legend of Galahad - ?

So have I missed anything? Has anyone played any of these? Was it Colonel Mustard - in the Library - with a candlestick?

All of these questions MUST be answered!

(yes, I KNOW that the SNES also has lovely RPGs) ;)

Edited by caligari at 19:27:41 04-12-2006
  • kcorb 9 Nov 2006 06:07:40 2,147 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, Shining Force 1 and 2 will always be my favorite Sega RPGs.
    Old school tactical battles where you continually get stronger until you eventually beat the game. Very fun.

I would stay away from Shining in the Darkness though. It is very old school and very boring. It is all about navigating mazes and getting keys to open doors that are on the other side of the maze and so forth. All from first person perspective in that old step and turn manner.
  • itamae 9 Nov 2006 06:40:55 9,888 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kcorb wrote:
    I would stay away from Shining in the Darkness though. It is very old school and very boring. It is all about navigating mazes and getting keys to open doors that are on the other side of the maze and so forth. All from first person perspective in that old step and turn manner.
    I second that, Shining in the Darkness is incredibly dull. It follows the terrible "one village, one dungeon" formula and will liquefy your brain in a matter of hours.

Incidentally it's the only Mega Drive RPG I've played so this is all the advice I can give you. :-/

Edited by itamae at 06:40:36 09-11-2006
  • Hughes. 9 Nov 2006 08:36:31 2,812 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Buck Rogers

Surprisingly good space-based RPG, a distinct lack of Erin Gray can be forgiven for it's good levelling up system and turn based space combat.

And Rings of Power was very well thought of back in the day, I got a bit bored of it, myself, but it got high review scores. (Published by EA, before they became Satan, and I think it was developed by Naughty Dog)

Edited by Hughes. at 08:37:43 09-11-2006
  • caligari 9 Nov 2006 09:44:38 17,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hughes. wrote:
    Buck Rogers

Surprisingly good space-based RPG, a distinct lack of Erin Gray can be forgiven for it's good levelling up system and turn based space combat.

And Rings of Power was very well thought of back in the day, I got a bit bored of it, myself, but it got high review scores. (Published by EA, before they became Satan, and I think it was developed by Naughty Dog)

Edited by Hughes. at 08:37:43 09-11-2006

Ohhh, I'd forgotten all about Buck Rogers. I have a friend that still swears that it's the best game of all time (and he may well have a version that I could borrow).

Okay, thanks for the tips so far guys. Darkness is now a no no (which is good as that looks to be one of the most expensive).

I'd forgotten alllll about Sword of Vermillion. That's another that seems to have received excellent reviews.

Oh, and Shadowrun was on both the MD and the SNES (both set in the future...but they look rather different).
  • Machetazo 9 Nov 2006 09:59:08 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. It's just too good! ;)
  • wolfen 9 Nov 2006 13:58:00 57 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    If action-RPGs are good to go, add Light Crusader in there - short, but very fun (except the first large ball with barrell puzzle).
  • Dirtbox 9 Nov 2006 14:01:39 78,572 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /rolls eyes secretly

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• SirScratchalot 9 Nov 2006 14:08:49 7,877 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shadowrun is very free-form and probably my favorite RPG of that era. You act as a freelance operative and try to earn your way through the game just as much as you unravel the plot. You can hire experts for mission critical skills that yu lack etc and the whole thing is just very 'slick' to my mind.
  • caligari 9 Nov 2006 15:55:51 17,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Okay, I promise I'll read up on Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Light Crusader.

Hey SirScratch! Are you talking about the SNES Shadowrun or the MD version? That one is really starting to tempt me as it'd be nice to play a Blade Runner-esque RPG.
  • opalw00t 9 Nov 2006 16:01:33 11,216 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. It's just too good! ;)
    /flashback

Many hours spent on that one. Very enjoyable.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Onny 9 Nov 2006 16:04:17 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Soleil is a nice little game. And not to spoil too much, but it has a suprisingly good ending, too. One of the better zelda clones.
  • caligari 9 Nov 2006 16:05:33 17,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Soleil is a nice little game. And not to spoil too much, but it has a suprisingly good ending, too. One of the better zelda clones.

I'm not a graphic's whore, but Soleil looks so lovely! The Genesis version seems to be pretty rare though so I'll have to check if the PAL version has a 60Hz lock-out.
  • DocX 9 Nov 2006 16:11:12 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Another vote for Shadowrun here. One of my favourite rpgs ever, though I've only played the SNES version.
  • stewH 9 Nov 2006 16:33:21 202 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Start with the Shinning Force games then Landstalker. Probably the three best games I had on the MD, loved them.
  • pjmaybe 9 Nov 2006 16:38:49 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    May I put forward a tentative "Woo" against Buck Rogers, and also aganist Faery Tale Adventure. Don't laugh, despite the rather poofy name it was actually quite a neat game and as hard as nails IIRC.

Peej
  • ekko 9 Nov 2006 16:42:59 904 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would go with Soleil, a great Zelda clone.
  • twinbee 9 Nov 2006 16:51:02 442 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phantasy Star 4 is a must play!

Shining Force 1 + 2 are fun but incredibly easy.

I hated Landstalker but others love it. Have you played Alundra? It's made by the same guys and kinda similar.
  • Lutz 9 Nov 2006 17:35:01 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shining Force is brilliant. Utterly superb gaming. Get it, get it now. It's also been released on the GBA, but it's a) remixed and b) not quite as good and c) just as rare as the MD version. So get the MD version.

Shining Force 2 was loved even more by most people. I thought it wasn't quite as good, but it was certainly brilliant, and TBH it was tougher too.

Shining in the Darkness is one of the trickiest ones I'd imagine. I personally *loved* it, but I can very easily see how you might really hate it. The long and short of it is it's a dungeon crawler, and that's it. Except for the visits to the castle and the town the whole game takes place in a dungeon, just like the dungeon parts of Phantasy Star 1. Unless you're seriously into your 16-bit RPGs I'd probably avoid this, at least for now.

Phantasy Star 4 is without doubt the greatest 16-bit RPG ever made IMO. It's got a cracking story, a stunning (and quick) battle system, and you really empathise with the characters. But given my username I would be saying this. ;) (The character of Lutz is from Phantasy Star) It's only downside is that it's a bit easy. If you're a seasoned 16-bit RPG-er it's piss easy TBH.

Phantasy Star 2 is again very good, but conversly to PSIV it's rock hard. It's often cited as one of, if not the toughest "jap style" RPG of the 16-bit era. The story ain't quite as good as PSIV and the graphics are far removed, but it's still worth a play.

Phantasy Star 3 is the weakest of the 3, and unless you're really interested in doing the whole series then I'd skip this. It does have one great redeeming feature though: Generations. When you finish off the story you get to pick your bride (from a choice of 2) and then carry on with your childs adventures. And when he marries, repeat. In all there's 7 generations, with 4 (slightly) different endings. (Just to add more confusion PS4 actually carries on the story of PS2, not PS3. Chronologically game wise PS3 and PS4 occur at about the same time, thousands of light years apart. But that's a spoiler for PS2 if I tell you why. ;) ) The 1st generation is quite dull though, hence why I'd avoid this. The 2nd and 3rd gens are pretty fun though. Quite a dungeon crawler though. (A homage to PS1 on the SMS I think)

Landstalker. Superb. This is what Link wants to be when he grows up. ;) You have to play this game. Eke eke!

Light Crusader. In the same vein as Landstalker, but not as long and a bit more serious. Sometimes the logic to it's puzzles is a touch random, but this isn't a game breaker in the slightest. To show how short it is I can finish this beginning to end in 5.5 to 6 hours, if I know what I'm doing. Similarly I can do Halo 2 in 8 (ish) hours.

Sword of Vermillion is another very old gem that I'd avoid unless you're really into your 16-bit RPGs. The atmosphere (graphics and music) are superb though and really help set the table for the game. You just try finding that bloody Sword of Vermillion though... (And I never found the rhythm spell book either. :( )

Soliel. Not my cup of tea. IIRC I did finish this, but I think doing so cost me part of my soul, as it's Segas version of Zelda (with animals) and I don't like Zelda. The animal combo thingy was pretty neat though.

Buck Rogers. Sadly I've never played this. At the time it was universally panned, but recently it's been receiving a LOT of praise.

Story of Thor. Again, never played, although I did play the sequel on the Saturn which I quite enjoyed.

Star Flight. This is a bit of an oddball, as it's not quite an RPG and not quite a space sim either. You're tasked with the mission of finding out why so many stars are going super nova, threatening the last space station of humanity, and around 6 or 7 other spieces as well. Definitly worth getting though.

In conclusion.

If you're not fussed about following games chronologically then get: Shining Force 2, Phantasy Star IV and Landstalker to start out with Follow up with Shining Force 1, Phantasy Star 2 and/or 3, Star Flight and Buck Rogers. Then get the missing titles.
  • SirScratchalot 9 Nov 2006 17:45:57 7,877 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Okay, I promise I'll read up on Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Light Crusader.

Hey SirScratch! Are you talking about the SNES Shadowrun or the MD version? That one is really starting to tempt me as it'd be nice to play a Blade Runner-esque RPG.

MD version, the SNES one is sort of an isometric action/adventure game and not half the pure gamers game that the MD one is. IMHO of course.
  • Scimarad 9 Nov 2006 20:27:59 8,573 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shining Force 1 & 2: No competition.

"Soapy water *gulp* *gulp* Yuck! Tastes disgusting!"

I'm inclined to add Landstalker even if only for the "I gave all my money to that strange big bird" line.

Edited by Scimarad at 20:29:21 09-11-2006
  • StixxUK 9 Nov 2006 21:19:37 7,270 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wish I had discovered RPGs back in the 16-bit era, I'd have utterly loved them and would have had plenty of time to play them in the school holidays :(

My first RPG was Final Fantasy VII and while I have grown to love them, I just can't bring myself to put that many hours into a game any more. Even 20 seems like pushing it.

The closest thing I played to an RPG on the Megadrive was Story of Thor, which was pretty good, but wasn't an RPG. So it's irrelevant really.
  • Lutz 9 Nov 2006 22:45:55 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    Great cast and a great battle system. Love the little cut scenes when in battle. Still play the GBA version to this day.
    /mini hijack

How're you finding this BloodKult? I'm on playthrough 4 ATM. Finding it hard to wound things for the first 3 chapters, but I'm just about promoting now and things are getting easier.
  • caligari 10 Nov 2006 08:28:31 17,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :-o

It looks like it's going to be Shining Force first...followed by Shadowrun...followed by Phantasy Star 4.

Followed by all the rest...if I can ever afford them.
  • Lutz 10 Nov 2006 11:06:19 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Followed by all the rest...if I can ever afford them.
    Do you own a PSP caligari?
    You'll soon be abel to play Phantasy Star 2, 3 & 4 and Sword of Vermillion on it (Legitimatly)
  • Lutz 10 Nov 2006 11:07:19 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And given that the Sega Collection on PSP has the Phantasy Star Series and the Golden Axe Series on it I'm sort of hoping that if they do a Volume 2 it'll have the Shining Series (Well, some it, there's about 12 games in that series in total) and the Streets of Rage series.

One can but hope. :)
  • caligari 3 Dec 2006 01:54:45 17,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There are more and more reasons for owning a PSP.

/checks his wallet

/eyes up his list of Mega Drive RPG 'wants'

It'd probably be cheaper to buy a PSP! o_O

edit: I just asked this in the Wonderboy thread, but did anyone ever play The Legend of Galahad?

Edited by caligari at 02:18:13 03-12-2006
  • caligari 4 Dec 2006 19:25:34 17,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone got a version of Shining Force that they'd like to sell? Shyah, I didn't think so. I would offer you Story of Thor in return!

I have a guy on eBay trying to flog the Genesis version to me for 28.00 pounds, but surely I can pick it up for a fairer price?

I've also found a 'cheaper' Asian version. Apparently it's still in English, but I'm not so sure. :s

How much for your Phantasy Star 4 again Lutzie? Could I offer you Story of Thor and cash as part of the deal? :p

Edited by caligari at 19:26:23 04-12-2006
  • Amicus 7 Dec 2006 11:32:52 7 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    In conclusion.

If you're not fussed about following games chronologically then get: Shining Force 2, Phantasy Star IV and Landstalker to start out with Follow up with Shining Force 1, Phantasy Star 2 and/or 3, Star Flight and Buck Rogers. Then get the missing titles.

PS2 is actually a mare. I recently revisited this after having played it, and loved it, when it first came out and it's an extremely frustrating experience.

The encounter rate is ridiculous, and the dungeons seem to be overly difficult for the sake of it and not particularly logical. For instance, you walk to a warehouse assuming it to be like a normal warehouse, but oh no, it has to be a three level maze dungeon where every second step involves a fight with a hard bastard and you don't learn healing magic for aaaaaages.

The story is not a patch on the first (and I still don't understand why, on a more powerful platform, they had to cut down the planets from three to two). And as for replacing Skure the town, with yet another bloody dungeon...

It also has to be played in context to fully understand what's going on, so make sure you play PS1 first (the greatest 8-bit RPG ever made IMHO).
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous