The difference between the US and UK reviews

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • SpeedyThing 7 Nov 2006 19:42:09 96 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having seen all the controversy over GOW getting 8/10 on EG but bigger scores on US sites it makes me wonder if the mindset of both the players and reviewers is different?

To put it bluntly - the US is obsessed with FPS games!!

Nobody is in the least bit surprised when Famitsu rates JRPG games highly and FPS games low and yet everyone complains about EG's score being different from that of US websites.

How many copies of Singstar have been sold in the US? None! One of the biggest selling franchises in the UK has never made it over there because they don't think it will sell (I presume).

What does anyone else think? Is the difference between the GOW scores partly down to the location of the reviewers?
  • haowan 7 Nov 2006 19:43:07 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I read the words of the review and ignored the score.
  • T.G. 7 Nov 2006 19:45:27 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm exhausted after debating this with Furbs already. Can't go on...
  • T.G. 7 Nov 2006 19:46:38 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mapster wrote: Republic of Ireland > Northern Ireland > UK > USA. It makes perfect sense if you're Irish.
    Ceartaithe. ;P
  • ecu 7 Nov 2006 19:47:51 77,017 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Singstar didn't sell because everyone thinks it's a rip off of Karaoke Revolution.
  • T.G. 7 Nov 2006 19:50:40 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mapster wrote: Republic of Ireland > Northern Ireland > UK > USA. It makes perfect sense if you're Irish.
    T.G. wrote: Ceartaithe. ;P
    Mapster wrote: Tiocfaidh ár lá!
    :o Oh, tá Gaeilge agatsa. Go hiontach. Tá súil agam go mbeidh mo lá féin ag teacht sa Deireadh Fómhair. Céard fútsa? :D
  • T.G. 7 Nov 2006 19:55:04 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    /sings the sash

/throws stones at T.G's house

/rapes family, including the men
    /takes the "T.G.'s house" sticker off Rauper's house

/observes Mapster's reaction

/popcorn
  • El_MUERkO 7 Nov 2006 19:58:05 17,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    T.G. wrote:
    Mapster wrote:
    /sings the sash

/throws stones at T.G's house

/rapes family, including the men
    /takes the "T.G.'s house" sticker off Rauper's house

/observes Mapster's reaction

/popcorn

owned!
  • ronuds 7 Nov 2006 19:58:46 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just disappointed that they released the review before playing multiplayer. They admit that the multiplayer is a huge aspect of the game, yet don't give that aspect enough respect to play it before putting their review up.

It's shabby and really not very professional. You want to give the game an 8, that's ok - but play the whole damn game first.
  • T.G. 7 Nov 2006 20:02:04 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote: I'm just disappointed that they released the review before playing multiplayer. They admit that the multiplayer is a huge aspect of the game, yet don't give that aspect enough respect to play it before putting their review up.

It's shabby and really not very professional. You want to give the game an 8, that's ok - but play the whole damn game first.
    You are Furbs and I claim my seven euro fifty euro cent roughly.
  • SirScratchalot 7 Nov 2006 20:04:33 7,876 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I'm just disappointed that they released the review before playing multiplayer. They admit that the multiplayer is a huge aspect of the game, yet don't give that aspect enough respect to play it before putting their review up.

I actually wish all, as in every single review, split scores between single and multiplayer because some games I will never, ever, take online. And it's always bothered me that if you included a decent multiplayer game it automatically raises the single player games score you know? A single player game worthy of an 8 plus a multiplayer game worthy of an 8 shouldn't really equal a nine in my book.
  • The-Bodybuilder 7 Nov 2006 20:05:36 14,277 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Northern Ireland > UK > USA

Fairest review I've seen of GOW is on the Northern Irish gaming site www.kissmytightblarneywhileiplaygames.com

100/10. It makes perfect sense if you're Irish.

I'm I the only one that actually tried to go to that website?
  • haowan 7 Nov 2006 20:05:42 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ja_Long wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

+1

Amateurish.

lmao
  • Deleted user 7 November 2006 20:09:21
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    I actually wish all, as in every single review, split scores between single and multiplayer because some games I will never, ever, take online. And it's always bothered me that if you included a decent multiplayer game it automatically raises the single player games score you know? A single player game worthy of an 8 plus a multiplayer game worthy of an 8 shouldn't really equal a nine in my book.
    +1

I'm quite happy with a separate SP and MP score and feel that it helps me both as a consumer and a person.

But I think the trick is to actually read the review; it's quite obviously stated that Kristan couldn't play the multiplayer much. Fair-dos IMO.
  • SirScratchalot 7 Nov 2006 20:13:52 7,876 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The US reviews quite often seem to score games on a scale from 6-9 never straying into lower scores than 9 for anything with good graphs. In the end it's just needing to find a review source that sort of gels with your own opinion on what matters.
  • SirScratchalot 7 Nov 2006 20:18:27 7,876 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Terminator wrote:
    I don't know about the differences, but I now wish I hadn't bothered to read the review here. You just knew they were going to give it an eight and harp on about it no being incredibly new, as if they can't come at it objectively. The first paraghraph even began by whining about hype. Eurogamer reviews can often be likened to a moody teenager.

Edited by Terminator at 20:15:16 07-11-2006

What do you mean? Is objectivity pretending everything is in a vacuum? Game scores can only be set in relation to other games surely?
    And just because it's on the subject of hype, does anybody else remember Rise of the Robots and the 9s that absolute crap game received back in the day?
  • haowan 7 Nov 2006 20:18:59 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ja_Long wrote:
    haowan wrote:
    Ja_Long wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

+1

Amateurish.

lmao

Sigh......

Why are you lmao-ing?

I'll tell you why Ja_Long. I'll tell you why. Because you're both being terribly dramatic. Why is it amateurish to hold off on the multiplayer until the game is playable under such a mode? Would it make the difference between "amateur" and "professional" if they'd left the score off and only scored it after the MP had been reviewed? While we're on that distinction, these people do appear to be reviewing games for a job (i.e. "professional").
  • T.G. 7 Nov 2006 20:20:59 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote: I actually wish all, as in every single review, split scores between single and multiplayer because some games I will never, ever, take online. And it's always bothered me that if you included a decent multiplayer game it automatically raises the single player games score you know? A single player game worthy of an 8 plus a multiplayer game worthy of an 8 shouldn't really equal a nine in my book.
    I agree with this actually. I wish that games like LoZ: Four Swords and FF: Crystal Chronicles had gotten a single-player review as well as a multi-player one so I could decide whether or not they were for me. The single-player experience is mentioned, but the review thereof is muted. :(
  • Deleted user 7 November 2006 20:22:09
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    And just because it's on the subject of hype, does anybody else remember Rise of the Robots and the 9s that absolute crap game received back in the day?
    /giggles

/had forgotten about RotR
  • T.G. 7 Nov 2006 20:23:24 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In hindsight, EG reviews will be seen as sobre. :|
  • warlockuk 7 Nov 2006 20:23:48 19,185 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The difference between the US and UK reviews
    ...the currency the bribe is in? Or the alcohol level in the free booze...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Yossarian 7 Nov 2006 20:25:48 8,409 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Tiocfaidh ár lá!"

please don't say this
  • T.G. 7 Nov 2006 20:27:03 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yossarian wrote: "Tiocfaidh ár lá!" Please don't say this.
    Why not? Tiocfaidh ár lá! Tiocfaidh ár lá! Tiocfaidh ár lá! Tiocfaidh ár lá!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous