Might be moving to Oxford soon...

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Metallicus 4 Nov 2006 20:51:34 60 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So is it a nice town? Is it expensive (rate out of 10)? And considering that I only really care about Asian girls how easy it is to approach/get friendly with Oxford uni. students? Are they stuck-up or normal? :-)

Searched for previous posts but didn't find anything very specific and since I have an job interview there next week I would really like to know what you people think...I don't want to spent 1-2 years there being miserable and lonely...

Thanks

Edited by Metallicus at 20:52:32 04-11-2006
  • pjmaybe 4 Nov 2006 20:55:05 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Where's your interview?

Oxford students are very friendly and easy to get on/off with.

Peej
  • Dirtbox 4 Nov 2006 21:08:21 77,480 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oxford's alright, loads to do, nice town, decent enough people considering. A couple of unsavoury forumites to avoid, but all in all you shouldn't have a problem. It's fairly expensive though, depending on where your used to, expect prices approaching London's vastly exorbitant rates of living.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Metallicus 4 Nov 2006 21:42:12 60 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The company is in Witney for which I have no great expectations...Still though if the prices in Oxford are so high I might consider staying there instead...

Anyway thanks guys!
  • terminalterror 4 Nov 2006 23:29:25 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love Oxford.

Beautiful historical city. Downside of that is that it is full of tourists, who always get in your way whenever you are trying to get anywhere.

You don't need to worry about avoiding us unsavoury Oxford forumites. In all the time I've been here we've never managed to meet up in Oxford (even just Shiv, Peej and me), yet we frequently manage to meet up in London.
  • Deleted user 4 November 2006 23:33:32
    Is stephen hawking a professor there?

do you see him razzing around the campus like he owns the place?
  • terminalterror 5 Nov 2006 00:00:07 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Art_Vandelay wrote:

That would be the other place, and probably not.
  • terminalterror 5 Nov 2006 00:13:38 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Metallicus wrote:
    The company is in Witney for which I have no great expectations...Still though if the prices in Oxford are so high I might consider staying there instead...

Anyway thanks guys!

Bastard prices here. The average university rent in Oxford is higher than the average university rent in London and living costs are similar, yet students in London get London weighted student loans, or an extra 1000 a year or so, which isn't fair.

My rent is 900 for an 8 week term (plus more because everybody comes up a week early and stays on a bit at the end).

On the plus side I get to live in an 18th Century College which is very cool (if a bit old and drafty).
  • pjmaybe 5 Nov 2006 10:23:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Where's your interview?

Oxford students are very friendly and easy to get on/off with.

Peej

You're an IT admin at the uni there aren't you?

Vaguely.

No one who works for the Uni is really anything. They just like to make us think we are :)

Metallicus, Witney's chock full of gorgeous non-studenty women too as my friends Lucy and Katherine could attest - and best of all, women outnumber men there about 6 to one. Great place for a night out.

Avoid the centre of Oxford (particularly George Street) on saturday nights though, it's a pit.

Peej
  • Deleted user 5 November 2006 15:44:13
    terminalterror wrote:
    Art_Vandelay wrote:

Ah, cambridge.....you couldn't even bring yourself to say it? :)

dawkins razzing around on a segway then? ;)
  • markypants 5 Nov 2006 16:07:20 2,702 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I lived in Witney for 3 years, not that bad actually. Busy and full of young people. Nortons is a bar that pretty much everybody goes to and gets drunk as skunks and there is a pub/restaurant called The Fleece which is pretty nice. Easy to get to Oxford from there as well, and housing isn't as bat-shit-crazy priced!

Only takes 30mins to get to Oxford from there and the buses run in and out pretty much 24/7. Also Witney is nice and close to the cotswolds so you've got Burford and the surrounding countryside right on your doorstep.

Oh and Witney is FULL of young people so if you are after finding friends and I'm assuming 'Ladies' you would have no problem.

M
  • terminalterror 5 Nov 2006 21:05:57 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Art_Vandelay wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    Art_Vandelay wrote:

Ah, cambridge.....you couldn't even bring yourself to say it? :)

:)

Habit more like. When I'm here I slip into Oxford jargon suprisingly easily.
  • Metallicus 6 Nov 2006 00:39:27 60 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great job guys...the information was very interesting! I was mainly going for the interview experience but now I will seriously consider accepting a potential job offer... :-)

Thanks again
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next