TV Licensing - where do I stand? Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• bivith 3 Nov 2006 16:05:46 2,466 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunam85 wrote:
    See, what i was told is that unless you proffsionally have your tv disabled from ever being able to watch TV then you got to have one.

But that's stupid, becuase one day you might decide to get a license and retune your telly, which would be pretty difficult if it were borked permanently. The TVL people like people to think all this stuff about needing a license even if you don't watch telly, but it's just lies and propaganda.
  • FiveManArmy 3 Nov 2006 16:06:06 505 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might be a bit late... but we have a TV which we don't use to receive a signal and we just contacted the relevant people and they registered our postcode as not needing a license.

They were totally fine about it.

Although I do work for a Uni and know they are a lot more cautious when it comes to students. For whatever reason they tend not to believe students!
  • TheSaint 3 Nov 2006 16:11:25 13,629 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Grunk wrote:
    they can't come and search your premesis without a search warrant. so if they come round refuse them entry.

don't pay, the BBC are fuckers.

+1

They have no legal authority to enter your room so just tell them to come back with a warrant. Maybe you could also mention to them why Catherine Tate deserves her own show let alone to be paid by the BBC?

/Goes back to listening to commercial radio/

You don't need a TV license to listen to BBC's radio stations.

I know I just down right don't like the BBC and their over paid DJ's.

The fact we are debating a tax on watching TV in 2006 is just embarrassing.
  • THFourteen 3 Nov 2006 16:14:04 31,799 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    how you finding your first term prof?

what college are you at again?
  • quedex 3 Nov 2006 16:17:39 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TV Licensing people wrote:
    What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing
    Bristol
    BS98 1TL
  • Pirotic Moderator 3 Nov 2006 16:21:37 20,646 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The law is on your side, despite what the BBC say. So long as your TV isn't able to get any BBC channels, by law they cannot force you to get a TV licence. if they decide to take it further, it's up to them to prove that your TV does get BBC channels, not the other way around. So just tell them to fuck off, they can't do anything other than make piss-poor TV.

Just cancel it like we did, we didn't even give a reason and despite the threat letters, we've never had any problems. They tried to come over, we said they are not welcome - that was that.

Edited by Pirotic at 16:22:55 03-11-2006
  • spazmo 3 Nov 2006 16:21:57 2,729 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    should be all you need
  • Dougs 3 Nov 2006 16:22:01 64,891 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    heh, used to love it when the rumours on campus started that TV Licensing were on the war path. Everyone would dash back to their rooms, de-tune the TV and hide it in a cupboard. Well, for the 1st term anyway.....we gave up after that
  • pacrifice 3 Nov 2006 16:23:21 957 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They don't have any quipment that can detect wether you're watching the TV with or without a license.

When a license officer comes to your property to inspect your premises, they only have the authority to check ur living room and any other room downstairs. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHECK UPSTAIRS.

How i know this..? My sister used to work for the company responsible for collecting the TV license money and she filled me in about all of it.

And!!! My sister lives in her own property. Her TV is upstairs.... always has been (it's not like she carries it upstairs everytime they come around).

A License offficer once came around. They didn't even ask to go upstairs. the bloke saw that there was nothin downstairs and jus said he would write it up that she doesn't have a TV and we haven't had anyone or any letters come since....... for like two years now.

sorry for the long post.

hope it helps.

my sister FTW
  • KTM 3 Nov 2006 16:25:06 1,674 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    The law is on your side, despite what the BBC say. So long as your TV isn't able to get any BBC channels, by law they cannot force you to get a TV licence. if they decide to take it further, it's up to them to prove that your TV does get BBC channels, not the other way around. So just tell them to fuck off, they can't do anything other than make piss-poor TV.

wrong I'm afraid.

See here: TVL

Page 11, right hand side clearly states you need a license to recieve ANY channel. BBC or no.
  • markypants 3 Nov 2006 16:50:03 2,701 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pay your fucking licence....

It helps pay my salary!
  • bivith 3 Nov 2006 16:53:13 2,466 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pacrifice wrote:
    They don't have any quipment that can detect wether you're watching the TV with or without a license.

When a license officer comes to your property to inspect your premises, they only have the authority to check ur living room and any other room downstairs. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHECK UPSTAIRS.

How i know this..? My sister used to work for the company responsible for collecting the TV license money and she filled me in about all of it.

And!!! My sister lives in her own property. Her TV is upstairs.... always has been (it's not like she carries it upstairs everytime they come around).

A License offficer once came around. They didn't even ask to go upstairs. the bloke saw that there was nothin downstairs and jus said he would write it up that she doesn't have a TV and we haven't had anyone or any letters come since....... for like two years now.

sorry for the long post.

hope it helps.

my sister FTW

dear god, one step forware two steps back. One more time. TV licensing officials have *no* authority to enter your HOME at all, without a warrant from the courts!
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • caligari 15 Apr 2013 22:52:12 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How does this work, nowadays?

I haven't had any kind of aerial connected to my (only) TV since January - and I never watch live streams from the BBC etc.

I E-mailed the TV license crew to tell them this, and they simply cancelled my Direct Debit and informed me that I could put in a refund claim for the previous few months.

Is...that it, then? Can it really be that simple?

Edited by caligari at 22:52:51 15-04-2013
  • FWB 15 Apr 2013 22:54:25 41,916 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep. Done.
  • monkehhh 15 Apr 2013 22:58:36 3,125 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep, pretty simple really.. no live TV = no licence required.
  • Mr-Brett 15 Apr 2013 23:05:55 12,676 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's unusually reasonable for them.

Boring story time:
    Back in uni we had a communal TV we used once or twice but didn't bother with a licence since it seemed like a bit much considering how much we used it (iPlayer was only just coming in at the time and we didn't listen to the radio).

One of their guys came around and a flatmate explained that we had used it once or twice but that was it. The guy said something along the lines of "Ok well I appreciate you've been honest, if you get a short license then we'll let you off". So we thought "ok seems fair" but ended up buying a 12 month one anyway for whatever reason. They then hounded us for about six months threatening fines, we explained what happened but they didn't seem to care and eventually took us to court where it was immediately chucked out.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Shikasama 15 Apr 2013 23:09:09 6,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is utterly ridiculous that i pay my service provider for TV, yet still have to pay for the BBC, which I never, ever watch.
  • RobTheBuilder 15 Apr 2013 23:09:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought if you watched iPlayer you still had to have it?
  • caligari 15 Apr 2013 23:10:44 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I thought if you watched iPlayer you still had to have it?
    I think it's only Live TV - not Catch-Up etc.
  • disusedgenius 15 Apr 2013 23:10:47 5,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only the live iPlayer stuff rather than recorded shows, iirc.
  • graysonavich 15 Apr 2013 23:12:59 6,802 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hehe I love reading all the old wifes tales.

I've a file sat on my desk with all the names and address of people who have bought a TV from my company which I send off to Mr.TVLicense once every 3 months.

Believe what you like, but if you've ever bought a TV using anything other than cash, expect a letter sooner or later.
  • FWB 15 Apr 2013 23:19:43 41,916 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My problem is with the utter garbage they spend most of it on. The shite shows and TV hosts with outrageous wages. Characterless morons who should be grateful if they got seven quid an hour for the mutual ego masterbating they do in front of the legions of lemmings.
  • monkehhh 15 Apr 2013 23:26:26 3,125 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All dealers should be giving up details to the licencing folks so they can send out a letter, then the buyer can either buy a licence or tell them they don't need one. (then you might get a visit, or they might just leave you alone for a couple of years.)
  • RobTheBuilder 15 Apr 2013 23:31:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Worth it alone for BBC Four and radio stations.
  • mal 16 Apr 2013 00:09:38 21,937 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Believe what you like, but if you've ever bought a TV using anything other than cash, expect a letter sooner or later.
    I bought my last TV using cash, and I had to give them my address for precisely that purpose.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• spamdangled 16 Apr 2013 00:14:47 27,197 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    Yep, pretty simple really.. no live TV = no licence required.
    Last i heard, now there's iplayer with live broadcasting, anything with an internet connection is covered under the license fee these days. They can also do spot checks as well, so you might get some door knocking every few months.

Pretty neutral in the whole tv license debate really, as I can see the point from both sides of the divide.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mal 16 Apr 2013 00:22:06 21,937 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the TV Licensing people would explode if they got sent the address of everyone every time they bought something that could go on the internet these days.

Last I heard, the rules have changed in that with TV equipment, simply having something that can receive, decode and display TV commits you to paying for a license, but with the iPlayer the onus is on to you not to use it to watch live TV if you've not paid for a license. But I don't recall where I heard that, and in all likelihood it was probably someone on here last time this topic came up.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Jacksie66 16 Apr 2013 00:30:57 572 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How much is the tv license in the UK?
  • ibenam 16 Apr 2013 00:34:30 1,272 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All kicks off mid-page

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/245233
  • Page

of 5 First / Last