Fifa '07 - Its all about the defence?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • G_Unit_Eng 29 Oct 2006 12:03:35 34 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    (Apology first - I've had a look for a specific official Fifa '07 - 360 thread but couldn't find one so started a new topic)

Anyways I've read everyones PES v Fifa posts and it appears that it is, as with everything, a matter of opinion. I personally have been a PES man during my original xbox and PSP life however pre that I was a fifa man (PSX & PC). After reading the reviews I decided to take a punt on Fifa'07 over PES6.

Well so far Ive played it as much as possible since Friday, think its great, however have issues with defending! Now this could be me being a 'tard but its just a struggle... I even had to look at the manual to see if there were any special buttons but alas there was no extras. All the manual has to say is "...anticipate the attackers run..."

Also I have noticed that when you run at a defence two computer AI players come across to block you off, however when the computer runs at you and take control of a defender then the AI just leaves you too it!

Anyone else have similar defensive issues?

• Lion 29 Oct 2006 13:12:29 24 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you hold B down it calls over a 2nd defender, according to the manual ;)

I just sprint towards someone holding down A to block them, works most of the time :)
  • s33r 30 Oct 2006 08:41:34 87 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've also found holding off (i.e. walking backwards infront of their run) helps as then you can wait for them to start running which taps the ball out of the feet and allows you to intercept with A. Defending on '07 is hard, but with practice it's doable, least on semi-pro it is ;)
  • deem 30 Oct 2006 08:51:36 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • G_Unit_Eng 30 Oct 2006 09:19:14 34 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My thoughts exactly.... I think Fifa '07 is like when pro Evo first arrived on the scene in that it was hard and you had to learn how to play it.

It's taken a couple of days but I've started to break through and am flying through the challenges now!

Am slightly disappointed the gamer points are'nt based on the challenges... but i think if you play about 100 games on semi-pro you might get a few points!
  • deem 30 Oct 2006 09:37:38 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • style 30 Oct 2006 09:57:18 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • style 30 Oct 2006 09:57:30 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Done.

:-)
  • style 30 Oct 2006 09:57:53 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Incidentally, what's the 360 version of Fifa like? Any better?
  • deem 30 Oct 2006 09:59:57 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • style 30 Oct 2006 10:15:57 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    FIFA 07 is without doubt the hardest game in the series I've ever had to assess, because in so many fundamental ways it kicks PES off the park, yet there appear to be an equal number of similarly crucial things that PES still does better than FIFA. Both play a great game of football, but it's no longer a clear-cut decision to recommend one over the other. If you could fuse the pace, excitement, licensing, online play, presentation and free-flowing accessibility of FIFA with the solidity of PES' peerless AI, satisfying tackling and spot-on passing game we'd have the perfect football game. Sadly, there's major room for improvement in the pair of them.
    From the review.

Thing is, I don't want any of that guff in Pro Evolution Soccer. I like how achieving those things is possible only by a skilled and practiced player. Sure, the series is hardly accessible for the new player.....but then, that's why Fifa exists! For those that can't or don't want to cut it in Konami's opus. Each to their own and all that. But in Pro Evolution Soccer, you can rip opponents apart with devastating waves of pacey attack after pacey attack. It just takes time to get your game in order. Kind of like real life, I suppose. I haven't played Pro Evolution Soccer 6 yet, so I can't comment on it, but for me, Pro Evolution Soccer 5 is as close to perfection as any football game has come so far. It is simply, utterly and truly peerless in my eyes.

Edited by style at 10:16:04 30-10-2006
  • deem 30 Oct 2006 10:20:54 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • style 30 Oct 2006 10:21:53 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh. Well I'll have the 360 by Crimbo hopefully, so I'll keep you posted!
  • style 30 Oct 2006 10:23:12 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Deem

Hey, don't let me get in the way. You gave us a link, I commented. That's as far as I'm willing to take it anyhow.
  • ram 30 Oct 2006 10:28:32 3,476 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    style having read some of your recent posts, I can only conclude that you need to get laid.

soon.

• TripSkyway 30 Oct 2006 10:30:14 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The defending is definately a bit tricky, for me at least, the comentater is always slagging off my efforts. But it's nice to have something to learn and get good at. Having the choice between press defence (pressing A), manual defence (moving the player into a good position then letting the AI of the player make a more acurate tackle) and the very risky but powerful sliding tackles is great.
  • deem 30 Oct 2006 10:37:09 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • deem 30 Oct 2006 10:37:14 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ecanem 30 Oct 2006 10:38:20 5,035 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I take it EA got the stats better for FIFA than they did for Madden? =P

• Sid-Nice 30 Oct 2006 10:46:07 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ram wrote:
    style having read some of your recent posts, I can only conclude that you need to get laid.

soon.

Can I have the pleasure of laying him? I would certainly have no problem coming out of the closet to make style squeal.

NNID Sid-Nice

• deem 30 Oct 2006 10:48:28 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • TripSkyway 30 Oct 2006 10:51:29 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Must be honest, I dont find defending itself that much harder,
    Guess it's just me being rubbish then, I seem capable of turning almost any teams defence into a shambles. :)

• deem 30 Oct 2006 10:53:38 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ballz 30 Oct 2006 11:51:31 495 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find it very hard to control a defender's sliding challenge, which was always a strength in the Pro Evo games. I find defenders always slide a preset distance and its hard to control the direction of the slide.

Maybe just me, but I've just about given up on slides as they just tend to lead to cards and penalties :(

• ballz 30 Oct 2006 11:52:17 495 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Any of you lot fancy a game later?

Furbs and Deem are both on my friends list. I should be free after 8, hope to get in some Tiger Woods too later (which is brilliant!).

I'm crap, and I'm not just saying that either so easy wins are available :)

I'll probably be on tonight after 9 if anyone fancies a few games. GamerTag is in my profile
  • G_Unit_Eng 30 Oct 2006 14:04:26 34 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Any of you lot fancy a game later?

Furbs and Deem are both on my friends list. I should be free after 8, hope to get in some Tiger Woods too later (which is brilliant!).

I'm crap, and I'm not just saying that either so easy wins are available :)

You read my thoughts exactly... I shall be online from around 8ish... so anyone who fancies a game add me... I shall add a few of you guys to my list whilst im *cough* working from home this afternoon....
  • Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its all about timing, bend, putting the right power on it, having wingers with good crossing accuracy, strikers with good heading ability and varying them (the LT+B cross seems to do the trick for me).

Its much harder to score from a cross this year though. Try practising with Chelsea as they have decent wingers plus a powerful CF.

Also one thing I've found can work quite well is using the "Narrow Attack" option (right on the DPad IIRC). Since it channels the players into the middle more, when you get it wide, your winger can have more to aim for in the box.
  • Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great. We're happy for you. Enjoy.

When you get your 360 are we going to have the FIFA or PES 6 debate for a third time where people waste their time pointing out that you wont like it, defending the games plus points before you say "ah actually, sod it, I'll stick with PES anyway"?

This thread is nothing to do with PES anyway.

Edited by Furbs at 10:19:48 30-10-2006
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous