Wisdom teeth Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Angel_Treats 5 Jul 2008 06:27:27 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm off to hospital this morning to have the dreaded tooth out. I am SHITTING myself. I had all sorts of bad dreams about it last night.
  • Lexx87 5 Jul 2008 08:41:18 20,869 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :o you'll be ok! They'll just put you to sleep with a nice pink fluffy needle which gets brought to you by the cutest puppy in the whole enitre world, while angels sing and bunny's hop and everything turns out ok!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Danoxth 5 Jul 2008 13:44:02 286 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just had a tooth out, not a wisdom, but a wisdom did cause it.

One of my wisdom teeth came through not to long ago, but was all fine. However, being the serial teeth grinder that I am, this new Wisdom tooth caused me great problems. Because of "something new" being in my mouth I started to grind quite a bit, especially to one side, a week ago i started getting intense tooth ache, two days ago a visit to the dentist finally happened where they took out the tooth next to the wisdom, due to the fact I had ground it down to the root on one side.

Much blood happened but wasn't to bad in the end.

/end sharing of tooth story.

Hope your hospital trip goes ok and tooth pops out with no hassle.

Ps. I can fit 4 midget gems in my tooth gap now.
  • sirtacos 5 Jul 2008 14:02:31 7,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wisdom teeth are the ones at the back of your mouth, right?
    Mine came in without any pain or discomfort. I hardly noticed them.
  • Angel_Treats 5 Jul 2008 15:25:08 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's out. And despite them telling me that they would need to remove a piece of bone and do stitches, the thing came out in one go without needing to be broken, I have no stitches and my mouth isn't even that lopsided. Winner.

I was told that I might need three days off work and I've told work I won't be in as I have been told I need time off to recover, so despite me being absolutely fine, I'm staying in bed anyway \o/ although the freezing is starting to wear off and it's starting to hurt like bejaysus so I might be speaking too soon...

And it was in a proper theatre, I felt like I was in an episode of ER.
  • Micro_Explosion 5 Jul 2008 15:29:11 9,695 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad it went well. I had 4 teeth out when I was a kid from the front (had too many) - that was fine but because of the anesthetic I chewed the inside of my mouth a bit.

I was concerned when blood started dripping from my mouth.
  • Saladin 5 Jul 2008 15:44:03 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    It's out. And despite them telling me that they would need to remove a piece of bone and do stitches, the thing came out in one go without needing to be broken, I have no stitches and my mouth isn't even that lopsided. Winner.

I was told that I might need three days off work and I've told work I won't be in as I have been told I need time off to recover, so despite me being absolutely fine, I'm staying in bed anyway \o/ although the freezing is starting to wear off and it's starting to hurt like bejaysus so I might be speaking too soon...

And it was in a proper theatre, I felt like I was in an episode of ER.

Just so you know, the pain will get worse before it gets better. Typically, it takes 3-5 days for the swelling and bruising to go away as well.
  • Angel_Treats 5 Jul 2008 15:56:59 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Urgh, really? It's got a lot worse in the last half hour, having not eaten since 7am I had to get something into my stomach before I could take painkillers so they haven't kicked in yet. I hope it doesn't get much worse.
  • Danoxth 5 Jul 2008 20:54:32 286 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had my tooth out on thursday and still hurting a bit today, so will feel a bit awkward for a while.

Of course, it doesn't help that i'm giving the "hole" left by the removed tooth a good bit of tongue sex >.
  • angeltreats 6 Jul 2008 07:02:18 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saladin wrote:

Just so you know, the pain will get worse before it gets better. Typically, it takes 3-5 days for the swelling and bruising to go away as well.

Goddamn you, you were right. It woke me up at 6am demanding drugs.

/am cry
  • johnlenham 2 Oct 2008 08:02:16 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuuuuuuuuuckkk one of these bastards have come through on the left side of my gob and my god doe it hurt!

My teeth are allready rammed in there so this is defiantly going to be an impacted one so better get the wallet ready..
    Two massive ibeprofen (sp) seem to work but until I get to the dentist its goign to huuurt :(

Hate teeth. WORST PAIN EVARRR!
  • Angel_Treats 2 Oct 2008 08:09:41 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Local. She was able to prod and pry around the gum to loosen the tooth and then yank it out with a pair of pliers or whatever they're called. Definitely no knees on chests or anything like that, it actually came out really easily.

The gum itself was VERY sore for over a week afterwards. I had to leave my best friend's wedding early because I was in so much pain, and on so many painkillers that I couldn't even drink the pain away :(
  • johnlenham 2 Oct 2008 08:13:26 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh nice... and im supposed to be going out this Saturday :(

once again I really really really hate teeth.
  • Angel_Treats 2 Oct 2008 08:13:59 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have to go back too, the tooth next to the wisdom tooth I got out has started to really hurt. I hope they didn't damage the nerve :(
  • Shinji 2 Oct 2008 09:12:47 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had one of these out on Monday night - I've previously had one out from the top of my mouth, which was a tough extraction but just required a lot of force. This time around was a fucking nightmare.

It was on the lower jaw, and it had grown backwards and impacted into the bone behind it (and promptly become infected). Cue cutting away a big area of the gum, drilling out a fairly sizeable chunk of bone, and then drilling the tooth into several pieces before finally being able to lift it out. Over an hour and a half in the chair, in total.

I've got a huge swelling at the back of my mouth, covered in stitches, which still periodically leaks blood (and the distinct, dentist-y flavour of clove oil), and that side of my face is badly bruised - the swelling has gone down, but I still look like I've been kicked by a donkey. My mouth doesn't open properly due to bruising and swelling on my jaw joint.

At leas the bugger's out - but now I've got the other one, on the other side of my mouth, to look forward to. Argh :(
  • johnlenham 2 Oct 2008 09:20:07 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /crys

Well rang up the dentists and im booked in for 3.40.. she did mention that if it is a wisdom theyd look at it and if it needed removing id be referred to the local hospital :S

feck feck feck feck

/crys more
  • johnlenham 2 Oct 2008 17:03:42 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got back.

Turns out the pain was coming from a second molar on the top rather than what I thought was a wisdom on the bottom.

Was infected hence the pain so the good Dentist said we can pull it now or later.... well fuck better do it now so i was raped with needles then got a lovely wire scraper brushing then he wrenched the bastard out ; ;

Got some lovely mouthwash stuff and "Amoxicillin" to take for a week and a nice 55 bill :(
  • RetardStrong 2 Oct 2008 17:14:44 3,229 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gah, I've actually managed to 'chip' one of my wisdom teeth ( don't ask how I honestly cannot remember ) and now it's aching like a bastard.
    I need to make an appointement, but I don't think I have enough money to pay for the dentist.

/Barnes
    'Take the pain!'
  • sirtacos 2 Oct 2008 17:53:47 7,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm lucky; my wisdom teeth came through without a hitch. Never even felt them.
  • Shinji 2 Oct 2008 18:01:39 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    johnlenham wrote:
    Got some lovely mouthwash stuff and "Amoxicillin" to take for a week and a nice 55 bill :(

Don't complain. If you'd done that privately, you'd REALLY be smarting in the wallet.

I've had serious complications with my teeth in the past (abcesses in the jaw) which basically mean that it's not a good idea for me to use an NHS dentist, as they've got a pretty bad track record of not being sensitive to problems like that and making things worse than they were already. Cue massive, whopping bills every time I need work doing. That last extraction was 340 :(

(In fairness, I get amazing care for that, so I'm not really complaining - but the bill still hurts a hell of a lot more than the dental work itself does!)
  • Angel_Treats 2 Oct 2008 18:27:25 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    If its a tooth nerve they can just kill it with Root Canal Treatment which is fairly easy but long.

I had one years ago and I'm never having another, it was hideous. I'd rather have it yanked out.

I suspect I've lost a bit of filling though and it just needs replacing, and it's a bit sensitive to cold/hot stuff.
  • Fatiguez 2 Oct 2008 18:39:01 8,712 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have two wisdom teeth growing out, both on the left side of my mouth (one top, one bottom). They haven't bothered me so far, so hopefully it stays that way :)
  • Shinji 2 Oct 2008 18:49:32 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, a root canal shouldn't hurt in the slightest. It's a very weird sensation when they use the little files to clean out the canal (like an odd scraping, but inside your head...), but there's no actual pain - either during or after the procedure.

In fact, having had three root canals, a normal wisdom tooth extraction, an apisectomy and now a surgical wisdom tooth extraction, I've never actually experienced any pain from any dental procedure - except the dull, achey pain from bruises healing after the apisectomy and the surgical extraction.
  • Shinji 2 Oct 2008 19:13:12 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I actually did one of my RCTs without anaesthetic. It was a second operation on a tooth that had already had the nerve removed, so I just told them to go ahead without anaesthetic - there's nothing there that can feel anything once the nerve is gone. Felt a bit weird since I could feel the vibrations from the drill and files very clearly, but not at all painful.

Everything else I've had done, fuck off am I doing it without anaesthetic. I even dose up on painkillers before going to the dentist, because I'm a wuss about the anaesthetic injection itself :) (Not injections in general - I just find the gum injections for anaesthetic eye-wateringly painful.)
  • Shinji 2 Oct 2008 19:53:53 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah, it's actual pain for me. I've never even really noticed the size of the needle! I'll have to look next time, just to freak myself out even more :) I dunno, I've got a strong pain threshold in general, but dental injections feel like wrenching out all of my nose hairs at once...
  • Syrette 10 Mar 2009 18:33:49 43,231 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lame, mine has returned again (comes and goes). It's not too painful this time however. My gum has swollen again a bit as usual and that's where the pain comes from.

• sirtacos 10 Mar 2009 20:59:25 7,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have two wisdom teeth coming in; one on the bottom left and one on the top right. They're growing really slowly but it's painless so I can't complain.
  • andijames 27 Mar 2010 00:07:17 2,704 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just had all 4 wisdom teeth whipped out under general today and am feeling a bit tender to say the least! Bastards had to cut into my gums at the bottom to get those out the top ones are fine! Can see this lasting a few days at the very least :(

On the upside i rather enjoyed the general and the morphine! :D Least this should help with the infections and colds i used to get non-stop!

vivir el momento

• Syrette 27 Mar 2010 00:10:43 43,231 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Think I'm due again the excruciating pain these bad boys bring, any day now.

Been a while.

• RetardStrong 27 Mar 2010 10:29:23 3,229 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And the same scenario unfolded just like the last time, chipped one of my other wisdom teeth on had it removed in the exact same fashion. Aw. It's ok now though.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last