Wisdom teeth Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Khanivor 14 Apr 2008 19:28:11 39,866 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aye, that's pretty good advice. If you're going to be under a general might as well make the potential risk of perma-death worth it by emptying your mouth of all those pesky buggers.

My general feeling of health improved overall when I had my last two taken out. It's quite notable how a low level annoyance will grind you down over time.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 15 Apr 2008 10:08:41 7,294 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had one removed this weekend. Probably the most harmless thing I have ever had to endure at a dentist. The only scary thing is the syringe but that's it. Took about 2 minutes until the tooth was out and I didn't feel a thing. Also only a bit of uncomfort afterwards but it was gone the next day. The only funny thing is the huge hole in my mouth.

But generally getting a tooth pulled is pretty much harmless. Of course it depends on the situation but in most cases it's over quickly.

By the way, if the tooth is really broken and you have to go to the hospital then do it. If the tooth breaks during extraction it could get much worse.
  • MetalDog 15 Apr 2008 10:13:40 23,706 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One of mine shattered while my dentist was pulling it out. Having him digging away in my jaw with a metal spike to get all the bits out was all kinds of interesting. Couldn't feel anything but the pressure, but the imagination was working overtime.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• mrharvest 15 Apr 2008 10:14:12 5,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    I had one removed this weekend. Probably the most harmless thing I have ever had to endure at a dentist.
    You got lucky. Often the roots of wisdom teeth grow sort of crooked, which means they are prone to breaking, which means you'll have bits of the tooth still stuck in your jaw and they have to cut it open to get them out, which means it'll be generally very annoying and take a lot longer than 2 minutes.

My only advice is 'get them all out when they first appear'. It makes the whole thing a lot easier.
  • Lateralaus 15 Apr 2008 10:33:05 1,091 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got 3 at the minute and im still waiting on the fourth to pop up. didnt cause me any bother at all tbh.
  • Mageme 15 Apr 2008 10:33:09 1,961 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    I had one removed this weekend. Probably the most harmless thing I have ever had to endure at a dentist.

Had mine done a while back, again quite harmless. Though granted the dentist did miss with the first anaesthetic injection and essentially double-dosed me. He just said "Oops, just a little off there, let's try that again shall we?"

/clenches dentist chair arm rest tight

Couldn't feel my face for the rest of the day...

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• monkeypuzzle 15 Apr 2008 10:35:13 1,947 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    I broke one of my bottom wisdom teeth this morning and went to see the dentist this afternoon. He says it's got to come out and is sending me to hospital. I think this means I have to have general anaesthetic.

Really not a happy bunny at all :(

Especially as around the time I'll probably get an appointment is also around the time of my exams. Added stress that I really don't need.

Its unlikely to be under general, my wife had it done at hospital, she was pretty nervous but it was actually quick and almost painless. They just give you couple of injections and yank it out.

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

• Lutz 15 Apr 2008 10:42:15 48,854 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was pretty nervous about having one of mine out. Not the removal, but the anesthetic. I'm pretty immune to the stuff, so had to have 4 needles. Whilst I don't mind needles i the arm or whatever, needles to the mouth I don't like. :(

Took the dentist at the hospital literally 5 or 6 seconds to get it out though! Was quite funny. Poke, dig, *crunch*, pop!

Very relieved to get rid of the bugger; lower left. Lower right didn't grow, and top two aren't any trouble. Phew.
  • DocX 15 Apr 2008 10:53:01 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had 5 out under a general a few months ago (3 wisdom and two other problem teeth). It wasn't too bad - I went in at 2 and I was home by 6. Thankfully everything was numb for a few days afterwards so it wasn't much of an ordeal. The stitches took a couple of weeks to drop out. The worst part was the nasty iodene-like taste in my mouth that lingered for a few weeks. I feel a lot better for having them out, so it was worth doing.
  • askew 15 Apr 2008 11:26:18 11,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think I have one just popping through at the moment. Been feeling an ache right at the back, then this morning I can feel a corner poking through and touching my cheek. Feels like a piece of food stuck up there.
  • monkeypuzzle 15 Apr 2008 11:35:07 1,947 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For severe tooth ache, especially when you think food is stuck near your wisdom tooth suggest you brush hard around teh area if you can and use Corsodyl - great stuff but read the label folks.

Public service posting since .. a few months back

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

• King_Cnut 15 Apr 2008 11:54:44 615 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What sort of age are you lot here then? I've never had any trouble with wisdon teeth and I'm 40 this year. To be honest, I've got no idea if they're "out" yet or not. They're right at the back right? Am I likely to have a problem before they start falling out due to old age?
  • DocX 15 Apr 2008 12:03:55 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you haven't had any trouble by now you're in the clear I expect. I'm 37 but they gave me gyp for a long time. Dentists always used to wince when they saw my x-rays, so I knew I was going to have them out eventually.
  • ghearoid 15 Apr 2008 12:06:17 2,295 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    um, I've had three of them out. two were quick and painless, but one of the bottom ones took about an hour to get out. the dentist had to drill it out bit by bit and there was blood everywhere!

/o\
  • thomasbeff 15 Apr 2008 12:29:37 437 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    One of mine shattered while my dentist was pulling it out. Having him digging away in my jaw with a metal spike to get all the bits out was all kinds of interesting. Couldn't feel anything but the pressure, but the imagination was working overtime.

I had a serious problem with one of my lower ones. When he was extracting it, it wouldn't budge. So he had to break it up. Made a right shite of my gum. It seems sometimes they break them to make it easier.

A day or two later, the stitching came loose. Bled like fuck. Worst experience ever.
  • Mageme 15 Apr 2008 12:34:00 1,961 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thomasbeff wrote:
    I had a serious problem with one of my lower ones. When he was extracting it, it wouldn't budge. So he had to break it up. Made a right shite of my gum. It seems sometimes they break them to make it easier.

Same with mine, although he knew it beforehand from the x-rays and so decided to cut the tooth into four pieces first and extract them piece...by... piece... Lovely. He had to scalpel away some of my gum as well.

/bad memories!!! Think of a happy place, think of a happy place.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• pjmaybe 15 Apr 2008 12:35:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't whatever you do risk taking clove oil for wisdom teeth. It's the bastard dribblings from satan's very bell end.
  • Angel_Treats 15 Apr 2008 13:17:41 11,072 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Peej, you're not supposed to 'take' it, by which I presume you mean drinking it, you're meant to put a drop on a bit of cotton wool and hold it on the tooth.
  • Deleted user 15 April 2008 13:20:03
    I had two takem out last year in hospital because of three abcesses in the gums under them.

That wasn't fun.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 15 Apr 2008 13:33:09 7,386 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got back from the dentist. I now have two fillings and a floppy face.
  • askew 15 Apr 2008 13:53:22 11,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thinking about blood and my mouth just makes me go funny. When I got mugged the first thing I made sure was that I hadn't lost any teeth. That strange feeling of raw flesh that you feel after losing a tooth is disturbing. And the kerb-bite in American History X really makes me cringe. And the bit in Oldboy... Gnnh
  • pjmaybe 15 Apr 2008 13:54:38 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Peej, you're not supposed to 'take' it, by which I presume you mean drinking it, you're meant to put a drop on a bit of cotton wool and hold it on the tooth.

I know - I didn't make it clear enough, I put it on a cotton bud and shoved it on a tooth that was aching. Worst thing EVARRRGH. At least I totally forgot about the toothache while I was being violently ill....
  • Der_tolle_Emil 15 Apr 2008 13:59:44 7,294 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Cnut wrote:
    What sort of age are you lot here then? I've never had any trouble with wisdon teeth and I'm 40 this year.

Problem is that my old dentist did some really bad work. I moved country and the father of a good friend of mine is a dentist - and a really good one. One of my teeth was aching every Saturday. No idea why only on Saturday but after a while I figured it won't go away and having half of my weekend ruined every week wasn't an interesting prospect either.

I have always had bad teeth - my parents and my sister are the same. Of course I have a lot of fillings as well. The thing is my old dentist always said: "Eventually you will have a cavity here, I'll better fix it now." I went to this dentist once because one of my teeth was aching (the exact same one that would start to ache every Saturday two years later) and she arranged 4 appointments. Did three teeth before she actually touched the one I came in for - of course it took 4 weeks to get the three teeth done before.

So after moving country I am now in the hands of this new dentist. First appointment was funny, told me whe wanted to fix 13 teeth. Not liking the dentist as all (the old one managed to hurt me although I was anesthetized) I was not amused. Luckily he is a very capable guy. He wanted to replace all my old fillings because he thought they were inferior. On the x-ray he saw that I actually have caries under my old fillings meaning that my old dentist managed to 'bury' dirt under the fillings that happily ate its way towards my nerves. Since it was under the filling I had no chance to clean it and it would eventually become rather painful once the caries attacked the nerves.

I actually had my wisdom tooth pulled because it broke and there was no real way to fix it.

Well, bit of a long story without a point really :)
  • Angel_Treats 16 May 2008 21:52:33 11,072 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does anyone know, if you get a wisdom tooth pulled out and they have to cut the gum and give you stitches, are the stitches the dissolvable kind or do you have to go back to have them removed?
  • Khanivor 16 May 2008 23:42:24 39,866 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ther are made of steel and will need to be snapped by a pair of wire cutters...

Honest.

Well, if you live in 1950s East Germany perhaps. Should just dissolve away after a few days.

• EddieBear 17 May 2008 13:46:31 560 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Just had mine out this morning. Wasn't too bad actually. but the extraction area is still bleeding lots. anyone got any tips on how to stop that?
  • Jeepers 17 May 2008 14:00:32 13,158 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EddieBear wrote:

Just had mine out this morning. Wasn't too bad actually. but the extraction area is still bleeding lots. anyone got any tips on how to stop that?

Swill your mouth with luke warm water and a little salt. If nothing else, it's a (very minor) pain killer and will keep the gum clean.

Also takes your mind off the taste of blood.
  • EddieBear 17 May 2008 14:07:36 560 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers. Will give that a try.
  • coojam 17 May 2008 14:31:22 625 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Best thing I found was gargling with hot water + salt when it flared up (to reduce the swelling and get rid of infection)."

+1

Also a reasonably effective aid for mumps.

I'm fond of Nurofen too, find it cures anything.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last